Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
So after having sent 2 messages and having them go unreplied to Newegg I decided to head over to Best Buy to preorder my copy. Coming back from Best Buy I decided to check if Newegg had replied. Oh darn no reply? I canceled it right then and there and what do you know? 30 minutes later an update from Newegg replying to just 1 of my 2 questions on the game. Here's what they said

Dear _________

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. After checking in our system, we show that the pre-order#XXXXXX has been voided online by you. Please kindly note that customers are not charged until the item comes in stock and their pre-order becomes a sales order. Please feel free to contact us if you experienced any other problems with the order and we will be glad to help you accordingly.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page. If you still need assistance, please feel free to reply to this email directly and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you,

Catherine Huang

Thanks for not answering any of my questions until AFTER I CANCEL my order! You guys must've been waiting until people canceled to announce anything right? Please spread this around and stop any business you have with Newegg.

[quote name='DangKid']So after having sent 2 messages and having them go unreplied to Newegg I decided to head over to Best Buy to preorder my copy. Coming back from Best Buy I decided to check if Newegg had replied. Oh darn no reply? I canceled it right then and there and what do you know? 30 minutes later an update from Newegg replying to just 1 of my 2 questions on the game. Here's what they said

Thanks for not answering any of my questions until AFTER I CANCEL my order! You guys must've been waiting until people canceled to announce anything right? Please spread this around and stop any business you have with Newegg.[/QUOTE]That's a bit harsh. Sorry that you had a negative experience with Newegg, but I (as have many) prefer (and even love) newegg due to their amazing customer service.

Sounds like a bad case of coincidence.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Xbox 360 and PS3 CE's up and available for preorder on Amazon currently.[/QUOTE]

Back with Release Day Delivery too! Guess its not too late. :)

[quote name='helmet']Back with Release Day Delivery too! Guess its not too late. :)[/QUOTE]

I didnt have the option for release date deliver :(

I love how this thread has brought in all the gamer crybabies who can't handle a little difficulty. Now we know why most games have a million checkpoints, regenerating health, and hand holding till the end.

Damn it! Was debating about getting this off Amazon or not I guess I waited to long Collectors Edition is gone for the 360. Oh well I do have a Frys that is near me I'm just hoping they get in the CE.

Making your way through Dark Souls' death-trap world with half a health bar is hard enough, but the Curse effect stacks – so if you get caught again, you'll be down to a quarter of a health bar. A third time, you'll be down to an eighth. I know one Dark Souls player who lost something like 10 hours trying to make it to a healer when everything in the world could kill him with one hit. There's punishing, and then there's unfair.

Hahaha, this is gonna be awesome.

Was debating on the PS3 version myself, damn its gone already. Must've been the people who canceled the orders so it was back in stock.

lol that was fast ps3 version gone from amazon. I ordered this on newegg several weeks ago.. that should definitely be the CE right?

I actually wanted tog et Demon souls to play in prep for this but it looks like used copies have gone up in price. a little over 20 bucks is the average now for the black labeled edition =( Not sure if its even worth it really

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I love how this thread has brought in all the gamer crybabies who can't handle a little difficulty. Now we know why most games have a million checkpoints, regenerating health, and hand holding till the end.[/QUOTE]

Darn those checkpoints! I'd much rather every game made us start from scratch each time we played, even if they're 50 hours long. Also, I scrape my hands on the cement outside for fun!

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I love how this thread has brought in all the gamer crybabies who can't handle a little difficulty. Now we know why most games have a million checkpoints, regenerating health, and hand holding till the end.[/QUOTE]
Careful now, you just described ICO. :lol:

You purchased this item on June 1, 2011.
Platform: PLAYSTATION 3 | Edition:
Standard

It says STANDARD, should I be worried?

[quote name='prettycrazy']That's a bit harsh. Sorry that you had a negative experience with Newegg, but I (as have many) prefer (and even love) newegg due to their amazing customer service.

Sounds like a bad case of coincidence.[/QUOTE]

I've had many good experiences with NewEgg, but it does seem like they totally bungled the DS preorders.

[quote name='WhiteLens']You purchased this item on June 1, 2011.
Platform: PLAYSTATION 3 | Edition: Standard

It says STANDARD, should I be worried?[/QUOTE]

Yes?

Standard

Cancel that order now. You will not get the collectors edition. Best Buy should have some collectors edition though. Try calling your local store first.

Amazon has not shipped yet... I've only used RDD once before, but don't really remember, is this a 1-day shipping or what?

Standard

Don't listen to them. It's the same for me, but I have been guaranteed by Amazon that I'll be getting the CE. Confirm it by chat. Mine was made on May (I see yours is from June).

Go you Your Orders, Open Orders, what image does it show up when you see Dark Souls? Is it a blue one or a gray one? If not wrong the blue one is the CE.

Click on that listing and it should get you to a product page. Altho the page's description just says Dark Souls, read the page's title, on mine it says Amazon.com: Dark Souls Collector's Edition: Playstation 3: Video Games, with ASIN #B00542ZQJO.

If you search using that ASIN # the result should be Dark Souls Collector's Edition.

no you shouldn't be worried.

the amazon guarantee that it would upgrade all existing preorders to CE without any action taken by the buyer didn't disappear until a maybe a week or two ago

but you should email CS so you'll be on record and just in case

Alright it does say Collector's Edition in the title and B00542ZQJO does appear on the URL, so I should be good.

And the thumbnail that appears is the Blue Cover, which is what they have for the CE image.

yea amazon's release day shipping will deliver the game on tuesday (game's release day)

likely delivered by UPS and you should get a shipped notification on monday

and lol $129 PS3 CE

[quote name='WhiteLens']Alright it does say Collector's Edition in the title and B00542ZQJO does appear on the URL, so I should be good.

And the thumbnail that appears is the Blue Cover, which is what they have for the CE image.[/QUOTE]

You should be fine. But as nieon suggested, either email CS or as I mentioned chat with them just to have a record of it just in case.

Did anyone else get Dark Souls from Newegg when they had that 48 hour "buy it for 49.99" sale?

I preordered for PS3 and now I'm worried it may not be the CE. I thought all initial copies of the game would be the CE edition free upgrade?

Should I go to Amazon or BB instead? Anyone else order it and feel confident they'll get the CE from Neweegg?

[quote name='Azuvidexus']For those interested:

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/10/01/dark-souls-has-similar-quality-on-both-ps3-and-xbox-360/

But I'd prefer Lens of Truth's Head2Head or Eurogamer's DigitalFoundry.[/QUOTE]

Wow. So he thinks install size has an effect on quality and experience.

A lot of gamers are concerned whether or not the Xbox 360 version of Dark Souls would look inferior to the PlayStation 3 due to porting it on the Xbox 360 platform. One of the main concerns of gamers is due to the fact that the PS3 version is using the Blu-Ray disc while the Xbox 360 version uses the DVD-9 disc.

If we were to talk about the size of Dark Souls’ data, it doesn’t even reach at least 5GB. If you are planning to pick up the Xbox 360 version of Dark Souls and wish to install it on your hard drive, you’ll be surprised to see that the game only has 4GB of data. Yes, 4GB of data and as for the PS3 version, it’s the same as well.

What does this mean? It means that whether or not you play Dark Souls on either the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, you’ll receive the same quality and experience. There are no pop ins to be expected, and the game runs smoothly.

[quote name='prateeko']So at this point the best way to get a PS3 CE is to preorder at Best Buy or show up on hour one?[/QUOTE]

Yes preorder from best buy if you want UT on day 1

[quote name='DangKid']Cancel that order now. You will not get the collectors edition. Best Buy should have some collectors edition though. Try calling your local store first.[/QUOTE]

Oh sorry, I thought this preorder was from newegg. You soups be good with Amazon though. Sorry for the confusion

[quote name='IRHari']Did anyone else get Dark Souls from Newegg when they had that 48 hour "buy it for 49.99" sale?

I preordered for PS3 and now I'm worried it may not be the CE. I thought all initial copies of the game would be the CE edition free upgrade?

Should I go to Amazon or BB instead? Anyone else order it and feel confident they'll get the CE from Neweegg?[/QUOTE]

I was in that deal with newegg too. Newegg doors not have any collectors edition. Cancel and preorder elsewhere if you want the collectors edition.

What's the consensus on an online shipped pre-order from Best Buy? All regular editions or first-come first serve?

My Amazon CE order seems to be fine, and I am hesitant to mess with it, but a Best Buy purchase would at least net some RZ points and a remote chance at later price drop match.

I just doubt I'll be able to get to my BB store in time to secure what seems to be very few CE copies to begin with that day.

[quote name='splintercell']What's the consensus on an online shipped pre-order from Best Buy? All regular editions or first-come first serve?

My Amazon CE order seems to be fine, and I am hesitant to mess with it, but a Best Buy purchase would at least net some RZ points and a remote chance at later price drop match.

I just doubt I'll be able to get to my BB store in time to secure what seems to be very few CE copies to begin with that day.[/QUOTE]

What does your BB order confirmation/receipt say? Anything about collector's edition?

I just ordered the PS3 collector's edition from BB today, in store, no problem. Seems like BB will have ALL CEs for the launch, they don't even talk about regular editions in the kiosk ordering system. And my receipt clearly states collector's edition.

[quote name='chimpmeister']What does your BB order confirmation/receipt say? Anything about collector's edition?

I just ordered the PS3 collector's edition from BB today, in store, no problem. Seems like BB will have ALL CEs for the launch, they don't even talk about regular editions in the kiosk ordering system. And my receipt clearly states collector's edition.[/QUOTE]

No, their launch inventory is not 100% CEs. Check with your local store; they should already know how many of each version they have.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']No, their launch inventory is not 100% CEs. Check with your local store; they should already know how many of each version they have.[/QUOTE]

I was told today by the two stores that they don't know how many they will get for the CE on Tuesday.

So lucky for me I will pre-order kept the print out and will try to get in there early Tuesday to ensure that I have a copy.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I just ordered the PS3 collector's edition from BB today, in store, no problem.[/QUOTE]

Congrats. Not sure why, but I'm happy you changed your mind after weeks of telling us you weren't buying it at launch.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I agree. Too many great games on backlog like Gears 3, Resistance 3, SotD, Rage, Skyrim, etc.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chimpmeister']^^ This. I decided not to get Dark Souls; it isn't worth the frustration of dying over and over hundreds of times to beat one boss. I'd prefer a more playable game like Skyrim, which won't have a ridiculous difficulty level.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chimpmeister']I agree completely. I'd rather not die 50 times to beat one boss, that doesn't sound like fun to me. I know a lot of people love the challenge of extreme difficulty (which is why they love Demon's Souls and will be getting Dark Souls), but really I'd prefer something more balanced. Or at least something with selectable difficulty levels, to make the game more playable. This game just sounds a bit over the top, so I'll pass for now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chimpmeister']The steel case may or may not be nice . . . but this game ain't worth $60 out of the gate, even with the paltry extras. And for all that, you get a brutal game where you can die 50x per boss to progress. I'll wait till this is sub-$20, just like I did with Demon's Souls . . . and even then, its no big rush.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chimpmeister'] I'll wait till this game is sub-$20, not worth all the ridiculous overhype for a cheesy "CE". [/QUOTE]

[quote name='chimpmeister']LOL at everyone panicking to get the "collector's edition" at full MSRP, wow what an awesome deal! [/QUOTE]

Bah biting the bullet and going to put in a Walmart order.

Should note that the website says that Bestbuy, Amazon, Walmart, and Gamestop are the only ones that have CE.

[quote name='DangKid']I was in that deal with newegg too. Newegg doors not have any collectors edition. Cancel and preorder elsewhere if you want the collectors edition.[/QUOTE]

how do u know newegg has no collectors editions? all i've seen so far is its gonna be a risk to get a CE from them

[quote name='Japakneez']Wow. So he thinks install size has an effect on quality and experience.[/QUOTE]

uhh... unless i misread, what he was talkin about was the install size...

Tried to get release day delivery on my Amazon order, but no go. They did upgrade it to 1 day delivery at no charge. Hopefully, RDD comes back and I'll be able to get that. If not, no biggie.

According to Kotaku, the only difference they've found in the 360 version vs the PS3 is occassional stuttering in frame rate. Quality wise though, everything else matches.

With that being said, they didn't get as far into the 360 version as the PS3. I think I'm going to stick with the 360 still though, due to being an achievement whore and having more friends on the 360. Tough call though.

[quote name='salty tbone']Congrats. Not sure why, but I'm happy you changed your mind after weeks of telling us you weren't buying it at launch.

[/QUOTE]

You sir are now my new hero.

[quote name='Japakneez']Wow. So he thinks install size has an effect on quality and experience.[/QUOTE]

Install size indicates the quality of textures and video/audio. If they are the same across systems then there is no meaningful difference aside from the game's performance.

Standard

same situation for me... i decided to send an e-mail to confirm my CE, and here's the response i got:

Hello,

I checked your order and confirm you will get a Collector Edition.

I hope this helps! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?
FWIW

[quote name='salty tbone']Congrats. Not sure why, but I'm happy you changed your mind after weeks of telling us you weren't buying it at launch.[/QUOTE]

What can I say, I fell for the hype like everyone else. I figure I can always sell it later if necessary.

[quote name='salty tbone']Congrats. Not sure why, but I'm happy you changed your mind after weeks of telling us you weren't buying it at launch.

[/QUOTE]

ROFL, nice one. I've been wondering if some people that didn't get a chance to get the CE are just saying stuff like that so others cancel their pre-orders and then those units become available.

[/QUOTE]

Best laugh I've had in a long time. Thank you. :applause:

[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='chimpmeister']What can I say, I fell for the hype.. I figure I can always sell it later if necessary.[/QUOTE]

Fixed for you. You know there are people buying the game because they enjoyed Demons Souls right?

bread's done
Back