Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this was mentioned, but the mini-guide that comes with the Collector's Edition is only a preview of the hardcover version (which is paid). What a bummer:

The contents of this mini-guide are shown below in white, while the sections in gray only appear in the full guide. Note that the sections in white may not always contain the entire contents of the section as you would find it in the full guide.

Barrit,

I got the email on Saturday and got an email confirmation this morning that it shipped out. Since I have 3 copies if the PS3 CE, I went to Best Buy this morning and traded the Standard copy back. Base value was $30 and with the 50% trade in bonus plus 10% gamer club, got $48 in trade towards Batman.

[quote name='Civickid96']Barrit,

I got the email on Saturday and got an email confirmation this morning that it shipped out. Since I have 3 copies if the PS3 CE, I went to Best Buy this morning and traded the Standard copy back. Base value was $30 and with the 50% trade in bonus plus 10% gamer club, got $48 in trade towards Batman.[/QUOTE]

Did you order it from Bestbuy.com or in-store? I pre-ordered in-store and still picked up my standard copy, but I haven't received any email like that.

I ordered it through Best Buy's website but had it shipped to my home, not store pickup. I think that was maybe the main reason why some people haven't gotten the deal.

So Best Buy is getting the CE's and shipping it out to everyone who ordered one online? And letting you keep the standard version?

Does that mean they reprinted the CE?

Ok, thx for the info. I pre-ordered in-store. I never went through their Web site. I'm a reward zone member though, so I'm sure they have my address and all on record. I guess I'll see if I ever receive the email.

[quote name='barrit']Ok, thx for the info. I pre-ordered in-store. I never went through their Web site. I'm a reward zone member though, so I'm sure they have my address and all on record. I guess I'll see if I ever receive the email.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately barrit i think we are out of luck, i also preordered instore and ended up getting the standard , tried calling bb to get in on this but all i got was, If its not in the website we can't do it, i even told the girl you don't know what im talking about, she stayed quiet and i hung up, i think she was pissed about something because she was kinda rude, like when at the airport for the first time and the lady at tsa people are all pissy cause you don't know what to do kinda thing., i did get a guy once that was going to try but i didn't have the information he needed to check, so im trying to get that guy again LOL see if he can get me one.

If you check back on that link i posted earlier, this is the email they are getting:

Order Number:
Dear,
Thank you for your Dark Souls Collector's Edition pre-order on BestBuy.com. Due to a set-up error, you received the Standard Edition instead. We want to make this right! We will be shipping the Collector's Edition to you shortly. When you receive the Collector's Edition, feel free to keep the Standard Edition you received as a token of our appreciation, or share a copy of the game with a friend.
You will soon receive an email with subject line "Your item has been reshipped." This is simply a notification that the Collector's Edition is on its way to you. There is no other action necessary on your part.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we hope you are enjoying your new video game! Please contact us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) for any questions or concerns.
Thank you for shopping at BestBuy.com,
Best Buy Customer Service

It would be pretty dumb if the in-store people get screwed. Some people who ordered from bestbuy.com called customer service and got the $20 credit or even a little over. Hopefully they don't use that as an excuse for us in-store pre-orders since I plan to contact them soon and see what the deal is for us.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Got my $5 credit for pre-ordering from Amazon and trading in a game

No email or anything but its on my account. Good for anything on Amazon[/QUOTE]

I just emailed yesterday about this and they gave me a promotional credit. It doesn't matter too much, but the gift cards are a little nicer since they work on anything.

For people still discussing what the Newegg apology code does and doesn't work on, I finally got it to work on something. This is anecdotal, but the following turned out to be the case for me:

- the item can not be a preorder.
- the item can be below $59.99.

I used the code to purchase Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny which released today. Its MSRP is $49.99 and it's one of several games I unsuccessfully tried to use the code with when it was only available for preorder, so that's just my experience.

[quote name='barrit']If you check back on that link i posted earlier, this is the email they are getting:

Order Number:
Dear,
Thank you for your Dark Souls Collector's Edition pre-order on BestBuy.com. Due to a set-up error, you received the Standard Edition instead. We want to make this right! We will be shipping the Collector's Edition to you shortly. When you receive the Collector's Edition, feel free to keep the Standard Edition you received as a token of our appreciation, or share a copy of the game with a friend.
You will soon receive an email with subject line "Your item has been reshipped." This is simply a notification that the Collector's Edition is on its way to you. There is no other action necessary on your part.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we hope you are enjoying your new video game! Please contact us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) for any questions or concerns.
Thank you for shopping at BestBuy.com,
Best Buy Customer Service

It would be pretty dumb if the in-store people get screwed. Some people who ordered from bestbuy.com called customer service and got the $20 credit or even a little over. Hopefully they don't use that as an excuse for us in-store pre-orders since I plan to contact them soon and see what the deal is for us.[/QUOTE]

dude ive been on the phone ( and still am) for the past hr or so and one guy put me on hold for 40 minutes only to go to another rep and have to explain myself all over again. The other guy did tell me that the B&M store would have to take care of it because it wasn't an online order.so this guy is tell me that it was a limited quantity blah blah blah, they don't have anymore yada yada yada, so i just read off the email and lets see what happens.

Update: they said the store didn't know anything in what to do , but that he would put a claim for the promotions department and they'll call me in a week . I won't hold my breathe but you never know .

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad news everyone!!

People are reporting (myself included) that the shipping weight listed on UPS is .30 pounds which means they are not shipping the Collector's Edition (as the Collector's Edition) weighs over 1 pound.

Looks like a lot of us will be stuck with 2 copies of Dark Souls now.

[quote name='Marc Madness']Bad news everyone!!

People are reporting (myself included) that the shipping weight listed on UPS is .30 pounds which means they are not shipping the Collector's Edition (as the Collector's Edition) weighs over 1 pound.

Looks like a lot of us will be stuck with 2 copies of Dark Souls now.[/QUOTE]

That is definitely bad news! Hopefully there is a mistake on the behalf of UPS.

[quote name='Marc Madness']Bad news everyone!!

Looks like a lot of us will be stuck with 2 copies of Dark Souls now.[/QUOTE]

Hilarious. I already sold my first copy off, time to flip the second copy as well, I guess. Was just not my type of game.

An update to those who ordered off BestBuy.com and got it to ship at their home/residence.

Got my re-shipped Dark Souls CE for the :ps3: and despite it saying that it was .33 pounds on the UPS site, I indeed got a Collector's edition.

Kudos to Best Buy for fixing their error. :applause:

That is comforting to know. You are the first one I have heard say that they got the Collector's Edition with it weighing in at .30 pounds.

Seems my roommate's copy arrived today from Amazon. He ordered it a week before the game came out, and the package felt a bit hefty. I was heading to work when I found it, and I'll see it's condition when I get home tonight. ^_^;

Roommate's CE came in pretty much in perfect condition. Amazon's always been good at least in our neck of the woods, but still...knock on wood. ^_^;

Boy did NAMCO screw this up big time. Not enough copies, not sealed (scratches/fingerprints all over the case), and Extras have to be downloaded via card.

Get out here with this garbage. Sad NAMCO!

Well I took another look at my amazon copy and one of the stickers has completely detached from the acetate cover. I want to keep it sealed. ugh

FYI, gamestop on Rosedale Hey in Bakersfield, CA had some 360 & ps3 collector's editions behind the counter when I walked in today. I was shocked.

[quote name='Althax']FYI, gamestop on Rosedale Hey in Bakersfield, CA had some 360 & ps3 collector's editions behind the counter when I walked in today. I was shocked.[/QUOTE]
I had been to 3 Gamestops before today and two of them didn't have any, another said they would hold it for the person for a month (WTF... really?). Anyway, I went to another today and the employee said, that I was in luck because they gave the person 1.5 weeks past the 48hour deadline and they still hadn't picked it up. *SCORE*!

How can that one Gamestop get away with holding it for A MONTH? I even brought up the 48 hour deal and how others gave people a week, but they gave me no answer and said they could take my name down and could call if they don't pick it up by the 2nd week of November. REALLY?:roll:

My order of Dark Souls CE from DeepDiscount shipped today. o_o

Can anyone confirm shipping weight for the CE or normal edition? I plan to return it if it's not the CE.

0.3144 lbs.

[quote name='BarrettSan']My order of Dark Souls CE from DeepDiscount shipped today. o_o

Can anyone confirm shipping weight for the CE or normal edition? I plan to return it if it's not the CE.

0.3144 lbs.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say, but that's not the CE =/

[quote name='Optical']I had been to 3 Gamestops before today and two of them didn't have any, another said they would hold it for the person for a month (WTF... really?). Anyway, I went to another today and the employee said, that I was in luck because they gave the person 1.5 weeks past the 48hour deadline and they still hadn't picked it up. *SCORE*!

How can that one Gamestop get away with holding it for A MONTH? I even brought up the 48 hour deal and how others gave people a week, but they gave me no answer and said they could take my name down and could call if they don't pick it up by the 2nd week of November. REALLY?:roll:[/QUOTE]

LOL I have been to gamestops where they told a guy they'd sell him someone's pre-ordered copy of a game if he waited until 8:30pm since they closed at 9... didn't even give the guy an entire day to pick up his pre-order

Finally got my copy today. It came in the bubble mailer without a scratch or ding. The CE is insanely underwhelming, although the art is pretty cool. All I really cared about was the scarcity of this thing.

Now I can go ahead and get rid of my standard copy.

Oh, by the way, do the codes from the wall glyph puzzle do anything besides give you tokens on the Prepared To Die web site? Like, is there anything in-game? I redeemed five codes and just got an "achievement" and two tokens, so I'm guessing these are basically worthless...

[quote name='ZombieToast']Finally got my copy today. It came in the bubble mailer without a scratch or ding. The CE is insanely underwhelming, although the art is pretty cool. All I really cared about was the scarcity of this thing.

Now I can go ahead and get rid of my standard copy.

Oh, by the way, do the codes from the wall glyph puzzle do anything besides give you tokens on the Prepared To Die web site? Like, is there anything in-game? I redeemed five codes and just got an "achievement" and two tokens, so I'm guessing these are basically worthless...[/QUOTE]
Yep, pointless dribble to keep the word out on the game and for fans to like their facebook posts.

If anyone wants a slight ding at the bottom CE for PS3 I can sell it to you at price. I removed the stickers and googoned it as it wasnt doing anything as it was placed on very lopsided. Its still sealed, the dents just urk me the wrong way.

Send me a PM. $59.99 + .Tax + Shipping = $70 if interested.

If not I keep it sealed. Just trying to help out anyone who didnt get it, its still sealed and unused.

Mods: please remove if inappropriate for here.

[quote name='Optical']I had been to 3 Gamestops before today and two of them didn't have any, another said they would hold it for the person for a month (WTF... really?). Anyway, I went to another today and the employee said, that I was in luck because they gave the person 1.5 weeks past the 48hour deadline and they still hadn't picked it up. *SCORE*!

How can that one Gamestop get away with holding it for A MONTH? I even brought up the 48 hour deal and how others gave people a week, but they gave me no answer and said they could take my name down and could call if they don't pick it up by the 2nd week of November. REALLY?:roll:[/QUOTE]

They may have been telling you that because they are holding it for themselves and just lying to you. Maybe trying to wait until Black Friday or something and get an even better deal on the game. I've heard of plenty of Gamestop employees doing that, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they were doing.

Just got an email from Amazon apologizing for not supplying release day delivery as promised because of a supplier delay. They included a $5 gift card code.

I have no need for the tin, artbook or unused soundtrack code. I am willing to sell it for $15 bucks shipped (so I can get the guide, much rather have that since the tin won't help me die less.) PM me if interested.

[quote name='JonnyHeartthrob']I have no need for the tin, artbook or unused soundtrack code. I am willing to sell it for $15 bucks shipped (so I can get the guide, much rather have that since the tin won't help me die less.) PM me if interested.[/QUOTE]
Pro tip: wearing tin case as a helmet is +37 defense.

[quote name='DealHunter']Boy did NAMCO screw this up big time. Not enough copies, not sealed (scratches/fingerprints all over the case), and Extras have to be downloaded via card.

Get out here with this garbage. Sad NAMCO![/QUOTE]

+1 these are junk. I have 3 now. I gotta return one to the store i think.. maybe 2 i havent decided yet. But all 3 have the stickers off center its lame. The plastic cover is a bit disheveled on one too. These are the cheapest most half assed CE's ive seen in a while. fuck you Namco

now to decide if i keep 2 and return one or just return 2.

[quote name='Kenshindono']+1 these are junk. I have 3 now. I gotta return one to the store i think.. maybe 2 i havent decided yet. But all 3 have the stickers off center its lame. The plastic cover is a bit disheveled on one too. These are the cheapest most half assed CE's ive seen in a while. fuck you Namco[/QUOTE]

All the hate I read in this thread over a collector's edition that was a free upgrade is ridiculous. I can understand being mad at them for screwing up the quantities delivered for retailers, but being mad over the actual package? It was a free upgrade. Did any of the people bitching pay more than $60, you know the same price as the regular old game by itself on day one?

The last free upgrade to special/collector's edition I can remember getting was Red Dead Redemption. You know what that free upgrade was? A cardboard slipcover and a code for some extra content. Uh yeah, thanks Namco for this metal tin and art book, even if they aren't the best quality.

[quote name='Kenshindono']+1 these are junk. I have 3 now. I gotta return one to the store i think.. maybe 2 i havent decided yet. But all 3 have the stickers off center its lame. The plastic cover is a bit disheveled on one too. These are the cheapest most half assed CE's ive seen in a while. fuck you Namco

now to decide if i keep 2 and return one or just return 2.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like you're pretty pissed off. Why would even consider keeping even one of those if you dislike them so much? Bring them all back to the store and let somebody that would actually enjoy them get a chance to purchase them.

[quote name='Kenshindono']+1 these are junk. I have 3 now. I gotta return one to the store i think.. maybe 2 i havent decided yet. But all 3 have the stickers off center its lame. The plastic cover is a bit disheveled on one too. These are the cheapest most half assed CE's ive seen in a while. fuck you Namco[/QUOTE]

:baby:

I am pretty obsessive about a lot of stuff, but complaining about the sticker being off center seems over the top. I realize this will trigger a diatribe about how I'm not a real collector, but so be it.

bread's done
Back