Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Japakneez']i just started demons souls. I don't quite understand tendency yet. If i wanted to purposely be Black, but Atlus has it White, am i screwed?[/QUOTE]

If you want to be in black tendency, then play offline so that you can manipulate and keep black tendancy. If you log on, your world tendency will go to white as it will overtake your offline tendency.

I played exclusively off line so I could get the platinum. Still took me a long time.

cool thanks! I gotta get used to the RPGs again. I completed Witcher 2 and the previous RPG to that was Final Fantasy 10 :lol:

I'm sure there are reasons to want pure white and pure black. I'll have to figure out why :)

Got my copy of the game, but it is scratched up and the seal is off center/not perfect from amazon. I complained and they gave me a $10 credit. Better than nothing, but I would still like a better copy.

[quote name='Japakneez']cool thanks! I gotta get used to the RPGs again. I completed Witcher 2 and the previous RPG to that was Final Fantasy 10 :lol:

I'm sure there are reasons to want pure white and pure black. I'll have to figure out why :)[/QUOTE]
Just something to keep in mind while playing, as long as you have stones of EE you can go into pure black tendency whenever you want, but once you've killed every boss in the level it is impossible to obtain pure white world tendency until a server event occurs. if you miss this one the next one will be at Christmas time likely.

That the white event is going on right now can be handy, get pure black, do the pure black events, then logon to the server, and load your profile several times (each time your game world averages to the server's tendency) until your game world has been turned to pure white without having to mess with killing a boss.

[quote name='testaroo']So what happened? Did Namco print more CE's or gamestop just releasing their invetnory?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they're releasing their excess inventory... I doubt Namco would print up more as that's just going to cost them more money (vs regular copies).

bah! got my hopes for a little oh well.
on canada post
2011/10/06 20:07 MISSISSAUGA
Item picked up by Canada Post

Product Type: Expedited Parcels
Expected Delivery : 2011/10/07

on amazon.ca
Delivery Estimate: Oct 11 2011
free shipping + holiday weekend booooo

[quote name='testaroo']So what happened? Did Namco print more CE's or gamestop just releasing their invetnory?[/QUOTE]

BBY took pre-orders for it but according to my friend who works there, when it came to ordering from the distributor, they mixed up the order and only got the regular edition. From what I understand, no BBY in the US rcvd the CE even though they were listed as such when you pre-ordered.

Finally got a chance to go pick up my copy, which was surprisingly (so far) in really great condition. Which sucks, because I'm completely uninterested in it after getting the full guide. Contacted Amazon about getting it so late and they were nice enough to give me a 20% refund.

I'd probably just return my regular edition to not have to deal with the currently over saturated after market, but I think my ferrets hoarded my receipt. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you say you had extras or the LE? My friend had a gamestop pre-order, but they couldnt fill it and he got it canceled he's looking to buy one cause they sold his copy on accident and now they say since the store refunded him they can't do anything to help him any more even though it was them who sold it.

So I was hoping someone who has an extra will be so kind to help him out.

[quote name='Bezerker']BBY took pre-orders for it but according to my friend who works there, when it came to ordering from the distributor, they mixed up the order and only got the regular edition. From what I understand, no BBY in the US rcvd the CE even though they were listed as such when you pre-ordered.[/QUOTE]

i got my CE from bestbuy. I was told that they had a SKU issue. The regular and collectors edition SKUs were the same so they had to send their collectors back on the monday before release to fix it. My store held mine for me so i got it. They don't know when they are going to get their collectors shipped back.

[quote name='Japakneez']i got my CE from bestbuy. I was told that they had a SKU issue. The regular and collectors edition SKUs were the same so they had to send their collectors back on the monday before release to fix it. My store held mine for me so i got it. They don't know when they are going to get their collectors shipped back.[/QUOTE]

I got my CE from best buy also, they only got one total.

I snagged one even though my budget said not to do so lol. I figured these things will only get harder to find, and the price will sky rocket ala the demon Souls CE.

[quote name='Pck21']I snagged one even though my budget said not to do so lol. I figured these things will only get harder to find, and the price will sky rocket ala the demon Souls CE.[/QUOTE]

i doubt this will ever be worth what the demon souls CE is worth.

Got my copy in perfect condition, Amazon w/FSSS. Lightly went through the artbook. As others have noted, ok at MSRP, wouldn't have paid extra for the extras. Doubt it will go for a premium as the DS Deluxe due to the DLC nature of the extras. Tin's not worth much other to collectors and the artbook is probably near worthless.

Anyone else basically get Dark Souls for free from Amazon?

So i preordered from Amazon on 10/02/11 and noticed that it no longer said "free upgrade to collectors edition", but went ahead with the pre-order anyway thinking it would be similar to the Dead Space 2 PS3 collectors edition in that all first run copies would just be the collectors edition.

I used the $20 credit I received for pre-ordering Madden, making my check out total a little over $41 after shipping.

Anyway, so my game come on 10/04/11 and surprize its just the regular edition, so i emailed Amazon support and expressed my frustration that I was under the believe that "ALL" pre orders would be upgraded, and they offered me the option to return my game and try and get the coll. edition elsewere or except a $20 refund towards my purchase of Dark Souls.

So I took the refund, bringing my total to a little over $21, I was vert pleased to have gotten the game brand new for $20, but then on Friday morning I received an email from Amazon appologizing for the collectors edition mix up, and offering me a $20 promo code to use on anything sold from Amazon.com for my troubles.

So in the end i basically got the game for free! Anyone else have a similar expierience?

Supaman,

I got something similar from Bestbuy.com...here's the e-mail I got today.

" Thank you for your Dark Souls Collector's Edition pre-order on BestBuy.com. Due to a set-up error, you received the Standard Edition instead. We want to make this right! We will be shipping the Collector's Edition to you shortly. When you receive the Collector's Edition, feel free to keep the Standard Edition you received as a token of our appreciation, or share a copy of the game with a friend. You will soon receive an email with subject line "Your item has been reshipped." This is simply a notification that the Collector's Edition is on its way to you. There is no other action necessary on your part.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we hope you are enjoying your new video game! Please contact us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) for any questions or concerns.
Thank you for shopping at BestBuy.com,
Best Buy Customer Service

Not bad I guess since I get a free copy I can trade away now.

Just tried calling customer service but they said they didn't know anything about the collectors edition being instock or getting any or anything. Said he would check my friends order to see what they did, but I don't know any cags personally.

Civic does your order have a different sku?

[quote name='slowdive21']Got my copy of the game, but it is scratched up and the seal is off center/not perfect from amazon. I complained and they gave me a $10 credit. Better than nothing, but I would still like a better copy.[/QUOTE]

You mean the manufacturer didnt put the sticker on it super perfectly and you felt that needed to be mentioned in a complaint?

[quote name='supaman900s']Anyone else basically get Dark Souls for free from Amazon?....

So I took the refund, bringing my total to a little over $21, I was vert pleased to have gotten the game brand new for $20, but then on Friday morning I received an email from Amazon appologizing for the collectors edition mix up, and offering me a $20 promo code to use on anything sold from Amazon.com for my troubles. [/QUOTE]

Thats not how the math works.

Borellius,

I ordered from the website about a couple of weeks ago. The SKU is the following: 2758067

Now I got the standard edition when my order came in this week. For those who stuck with their Bestbuy.com orders should've gotten the same e-mail I did today.

I'm kinda impressed on what they are offering here. Which makes me think...how many CE's have been made? They might not be as limited as we all would like to think... :whistle2:k

[quote name='Relysis']Just wanted to thumbs up the nod to Working Designs. Although to be fair, Atlus has been doing a geat job at filling those shoes. They know it too, given the smug Demon's Souls CE email they sent out this morning :p I bet From will now have second thoughts about going with a larger publisher.[/QUOTE]

Care to clarify? What was the email?

[quote name='Civickid96']Supaman,

" Thank you for your Dark Souls Collector's Edition pre-order on BestBuy.com. Due to a set-up error, you received the Standard Edition instead. We want to make this right! We will be shipping the Collector's Edition to you shortly. When you receive the Collector's Edition, feel free to keep the Standard Edition you received as a token of our appreciation, or share a copy of the game with a friend. You will soon receive an email with subject line "Your item has been reshipped." This is simply a notification that the Collector's Edition is on its way to you. There is no other action necessary on your part.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we hope you are enjoying your new video game! Please contact us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) for any questions or concerns.

Not bad I guess since I get a free copy I can trade away now.[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling this is what would happen. Anyone that ordered on 10/4 get this email? I had mine set to in store pickup so I think I'm screwed there

[quote name='Arakias']You mean the manufacturer didnt put the sticker on it super perfectly and you felt that needed to be mentioned in a complaint?

Thats not how the math works.[/QUOTE]

Um kinda does, once I apply the $20 credit towards Arkham City or Skyrim, making that purchase $20 cheaper... Thats $20 I would have had to spend on my next game...

[quote name='Civickid96']Supaman,

Not bad I guess since I get a free copy I can trade away now.[/QUOTE]

Nice! Did you order with in-store pickup or did you have it shipped to your house? I'm wondering because I did in-store pickup and haven't gotten an email like this.

Called BB twice and they didn't know of any kind of CE being sent out. The first guy said that they had the memo about the 20 gift card, the second girl didn't know anything she couldn't even see my preorder. That and she kept saying that if it wasn't on the website they wouldn't have it. I dont mind returning the gift card if it means ill get the CE. Like someone else said, its the principal of the thing.

Edit: Civic that sku is from the standard edition aswell so i really doubt they would be smart enough to look for it by other means. Congrats on the CE.

Called Best Buy two days ago, they sent the 20 dollar credit, and now I get to keep my original copy AND the collector's edition? Amazing. =)

Edit: The Standard and CE they re-sent both have the same SKU - 2758085, I can't see the shipping weight to tell if I actually receive the right copy this time.

I received the Best Buy email and I ordered online and had it shipped to my house for the person asking above.

[quote name='elrobo8']Nice! Did you order with in-store pickup or did you have it shipped to your house? I'm wondering because I did in-store pickup and haven't gotten an email like this.[/QUOTE]

I got the same email today BB ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

As a side note, I picked up a copy of of the collectors edition of Dark Souls for the PS3 and the box is wrong on the screen resolution. My TV is an older HDTV that only does 480p and 1080i, and this game DOES NOT support 1080i like the back of the box. I would tolerate it but I have a 65" TV and it gets very blocky and looks like crap.

If anyone is still looking for a collectors version for the PS3 I am willing to sell it for cost plus shipping. Send me a PM by Monday or it's going back to Gamestop (the DM will let me return it due to false advertising).

I'll also swap with someone that has a collectors 360 version. The 360 upscales to 1080i.

[quote name='WormFOODx']As a side note, I picked up a copy of of the collectors edition of Dark Souls for the PS3 and the box is wrong on the screen resolution. My TV is an older HDTV that only does 480p and 1080i, and this game DOES NOT support 1080i like the back of the box. I would tolerate it but I have a 65" TV and it gets very blocky and looks like crap.[/QUOTE]
Hmm didn't know that. I also only have a 1080i HDTV. I'm really not at all sure what that means for the picture quality but I don't like it either way.

[quote name='Arakias']You mean the manufacturer didnt put the sticker on it super perfectly and you felt that needed to be mentioned in a complaint?
[/QUOTE]

The scratches were the main problem. The seal wasn't laying flat as if someone shoved it in a box and it folded over on itself. Think of a half peeled band aid. Again probably something on amazon's end.

I also would like to add it was a day late instead of release date shipping, eventhough I preordered it more than 6 months ago. Thats was mentioned in the complaint.

I didn't mention the "off center" sticker in the complaint, that was for the CAG that asked what condition they are arriving in.

For anyone who got the $20 off apology code from Newegg, are there any hidden conditions to using it? I tried preordering a game with it and I received an error message. Does it not work with preorders or are people still just unable to get the code to work with anything? Sorry if this has already been asked, I haven't kept up with this thread for a few days.

I think i heard something like that also that you had to buy a game priced 59.99 or above or something like that. Could just be an old memory in my head. Sorry.

sorry, dont want to read through the 30 pages of posts since i last checked in on this thread.. can someone give me a quick update on all the chatter? I see something about bestbuy getting the orders out to people?

what about newegg? did they get their orders out? I never got an email or credit like some people did, where should i complain about that to their CS. Phone, or e-mail? I sent an email several days ago but never got one back, not sure if i used the right one. I want a credit for the bs.

[quote name='WormFOODx']As a side note, I picked up a copy of of the collectors edition of Dark Souls for the PS3 and the box is wrong on the screen resolution. My TV is an older HDTV that only does 480p and 1080i, and this game DOES NOT support 1080i like the back of the box. I would tolerate it but I have a 65" TV and it gets very blocky and looks like crap.

If anyone is still looking for a collectors version for the PS3 I am willing to sell it for cost plus shipping. Send me a PM by Monday or it's going back to Gamestop (the DM will let me return it due to false advertising).

I'll also swap with someone that has a collectors 360 version. The 360 upscales to 1080i.[/QUOTE]

its not just that game. Theres a few games that do that, and theres a lot of gamers that rage over it. The PS3 is really lame with its resolution. Evidently sony didn't think they should build in some kinda resolution scaler so a lot of games have issues. There used to be a huge thread over on the sony playstation forums about it with people begging sony to do something about it but they never did.

Kinda BS if you ask me.

[quote name='drtomoe123']What's the chance I'd be able to find one of these PS3 versions left over at a Gamestop tomorrow? :([/QUOTE]

i called around the gamestops around me, found 1 store that was shipped 1 extra, went and picked it up that day (present for my bro) now im thinkin about getting one for myself....

[quote name='Borellius']I think i heard something like that also that you had to buy a game priced 59.99 or above or something like that. Could just be an old memory in my head. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that might be it. The game I was trying to preorder was $39.99. CAG that I am, there's really nothing else for the rest of the year that I'm willing to pay full retail for, so guess I'd just better find a $60 game that I wouldn't mind owning for $40.

[quote name='WormFOODx']As a side note, I picked up a copy of of the collectors edition of Dark Souls for the PS3 and the box is wrong on the screen resolution. My TV is an older HDTV that only does 480p and 1080i, and this game DOES NOT support 1080i like the back of the box. I would tolerate it but I have a 65" TV and it gets very blocky and looks like crap.

I'll also swap with someone that has a collectors 360 version. The 360 upscales to 1080i.[/QUOTE]

I used to have that problem. The best thing you can do is to sell or give away the TV and replace it with an LCD one. Blacker blacks are not worth all that hassle, or the lower resolution (1080i vs 1080p).

[quote name='Borellius']I think i heard something like that also that you had to buy a game priced 59.99 or above or something like that. Could just be an old memory in my head. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

My email states: [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a $20 promotion code that you may use toward the purchase of the regular edition of Dark Souls or any other game you might be interested in.[/FONT]

Any
other game should mean any game - I don't see any restriction regarding price. But I haven't gotten mine to work either and I tried on 3 different games. This is so typical newegg misleading nonsense.

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[quote name='fwbweux']Ah, that might be it. The game I was trying to preorder was $39.99. CAG that I am, there's really nothing else for the rest of the year that I'm willing to pay full retail for, so guess I'd just better find a $60 game that I wouldn't mind owning for $40.[/QUOTE]

Newegg sent me an email saying that the code doesnt work on preorders.

[quote name='Outlaw Tracker']My email states: [FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Any
other game should mean any game - I don't see any restriction regarding price. But I haven't gotten mine to work either and I tried on 3 different games. This is so typical newegg misleading nonsense.

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Since it doesnt expire until 2012 we have one whole year to complain to them.

[quote name='MrBoss']Since it doesnt expire until 2012 we have one whole year to complain to them.[/QUOTE]

It might take that long to figure what game the code works with!

[quote name='Outlaw Tracker']It might take that long to figure what game the code works with![/QUOTE]

I tried it on the Ico remastered edition and it worked. Like the rep said, the code doesnt work on preorders.

checked several GS on Friday (all within 5 miles). Two were willing to sell pre-order copies that weren't picked up (one had nothing left though, other 360 only). Another store said come back in 3 days (so Monday). Another said Tuesday. I also went to another store out of state where I saw several CEs on the selves behind the counter... he said they hold for a week.

imo unless people paid in full already, stores shouldn't be holding a game/item for that long. now when I check tomorrow (Tuesday), I won't be surprised when I'm told 30 days

bread's done
Back