Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AukeySeven']I am just jazzed about the Oct 4th release date :D[/QUOTE]

Much like the last one on the week of my Birthday (DS was Oct 6th I believe)

Just so you know, you won't solve this unless you enlist aid from the likes of GameFAQs and 4chan's /v/. Both groups are miles ahead of us.

I think this game will be pretty similar to Demon's Souls. I only played for a short bit today at the convention but I noticed the controls are all the same. The level I was in was very vibrant. Like, there were bushes and green trees, flowers, etc. Different from the rather brown environment of Demon's Souls. As for the difficulty, well, I died like 2 mins in. Ran into some giant metal boar creature that rushes at you. My friend told me I probably had to attack his behind (he said he noticed there was no armor on the back side). Well I didn't notice it in time. Oh well. I wanted to know if they changed how multiplayer works (no more search for your friend's blue spot) but the talker people were occupied.
Maybe someone can find a video of the demo I'm describing. An actual gameplay vid, not just a mashup of various levels I keep seeing on youtube.

Why do they do this every time? New box art is terrible, switch it back IMO. At least with DS we could get the Japanese art through the CE. :\

I was never sure if I really wanted this for full price. I'm starting to think I don't want it right away now that it doesn't have a metal case/steelbook.

The Dark Souls Collector's Edition can be pre-ordered for $59.99, the same price as the standard edition, and will include a limited edition art book containing premium illustrations of characters and environments from the game, a mini-strategy guidebook, behind-the-scenes videos from the development studio detailing various stages of game concept, design and building, and the game's soundtrack for digital download. All of this will come packaged with the standard edition game in a custom-designed metal case.

I believe it does have a metal case

[quote name='erdmanski1341']I believe it does have a metal case[/QUOTE]
Hopefully. Amazon mentions it. On the preparetodie.com site though there is no mention of it.

Sorry for the necroing, but... why is Dark Souls CE a separate listing than the normal edition on Amazon?

Product details on the normal edition says the CE upgrade still... so why have two listings? Mainly curious because the CE ended up as a Quick Pick for me, being $1 cheaper >.>

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Sorry for the necroing, but... why is Dark Souls CE a separate listing than the normal edition on Amazon?

Product details on the normal edition says the CE upgrade still... so why have two listings? Mainly curious because the CE ended up as a Quick Pick for me, being $1 cheaper >.>[/QUOTE]

That's actually a very good question... there wasn't a separate listing when it was first announced.

I pre-ordered the normal edition back when it was $57.99... the CE is a quick pick for me at $56.99. Guess it doesn't ~really~ matter now since both are $59.99 again, but I just pre-ordered the CE for now also, see what happens.

They also have different ship dates too, even though they've confirmed the 10/4 date. WTF :/

The PAL collectors edition has a soundtrack cd and making-of dvd included, the US version just comes with download codes for them. Fir in case it hasn't already been mentioned.

Maybe Amazon is getting extra CE's than just the preordered upgrades and are just getting their site ready early for having both in stock after the game releases? That doesn't explain the differences in dates though....

[quote name='Fabrizo']The PAL collectors edition has a soundtrack cd and making-of dvd included, the US version just comes with download codes for them. Fir in case it hasn't already been mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Soundtrack and also includes the booklets. On the downside, it's not in a steelbook.

Oh decisions!

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I hope people who bought the reg edition for the CE upgrade still get the CE. I bought long time ago. Amazon better not screw us.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

^ thats what i did. then i can easily respond with either of the following scenarios:

a) they correctly ship the free upgrade collectors edition on Oct 4, I'm happy and easily cancel my Collectors Ed. preorder for Oct 25 since I 've already received it.

b) they goof up and ship the regular version, I send it back for free because it isn't as described (not the collector's ed) and then wait til Oct 25 for the Collectors Edition to arrive.

no big deal because I've guaranteed myself a collectors edition either way. :)

Collector's edition showed up in goldbox today for 56.99. I guess I am in for round 2, though I still haven't cracked my Demon's Souls CE, black label, or GH versions I have sitting here.

[quote name='slowdive21']Collector's edition showed up in goldbox today for 56.99. I guess I am in for round 2, though I still haven't cracked my Demon's Souls CE, black label, or GH versions I have sitting here.[/QUOTE]

yep, gold box. Couldn't resist now I have two preorders in place.

Amazon customer service says
I've checked the item, Dark souls, and see that we currently have a separate listing for Dark souls and Dark Souls Collector's Edition. However, if you purchase the item Dark souls, which you pre ordered, you'll receive the upgrade to the Collector's Edition at no extra charge. You don't need to cancel the your pre order for the item, Dark souls. You will receive the collector's edition in your current order.
In response to:
I preordered Dark Souls for PS3 on May 11th, and it mentioned a free upgrade to the collector's edition. Eventually the date was set to Oct 4th. Later another ASIN for Dark Souls was added to amazon for the Collector's edition with a ship date of Oct 25th. I was wondering why two separate items and was wanting to confirm that I was still receiving the Collector's Edition without having to cancel and reorder the other ASIN.

Seems like a cool CE but I bet this is going to drop in price hella fast. If every order becomes a CE combined with the fact that the last game sold well and people are thinking they can pawn this and buying multiple copies...it means they are flooding the market. My guess is this is like most recent CE where you wait 5 months and its $40.

Demons' Souls didn't sell particularly well out the gate though. It's only because of word of mouth and good reviews that led to its sales not declining that much.

Hopefully they don't print too many of these, but if they don't limit it yeah it's not gonna be worth much :/

i dont see any items in my gold box for days. i clicked the top link with a gold box that says today's deals. That's the one right?

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Demons' Souls didn't sell particularly well out the gate though. It's only because of word of mouth and good reviews that led to its sales not declining that much.

Hopefully they don't print too many of these, but if they don't limit it yeah it's not gonna be worth much :/[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't they? I mean, it's a free upgrade... a lot of people will buy it simply because it's an awesome special edition for the price of a normal game. Plus, as said before, the demand for this game is going to be substantially higher than it was for the original game.

I'm not talking about pre-order supply; just curious what stock is gonna be like after it releases. All the current offer is is a pre-order incentive, but even then we don't have numbers.

I added in a pre-order for the separate CE SKU, just to be safe. I can always send back the separate CE item if it ships after the "normal" item that gets upgraded to the CE.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Demons' Souls didn't sell particularly well out the gate though. It's only because of word of mouth and good reviews that led to its sales not declining that much.

Hopefully they don't print too many of these, but if they don't limit it yeah it's not gonna be worth much :/[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I think DS sold well because it got a buzz going about it and not because it was a good game but because it was a hardcore game. When DS came out it became a badge for gamers cred. If you had not played or did not like DS all of a sudden you couldnt be considered a hardcore gamer. DS really was not that different from things like Kingsfield which came before it but got shit reviews. I think it just hit at the right time and got the right buzz of mouth. Thats part of why I am expecting this to drop in price hella fast, because I really bet that half the people that picked up DS to act all hardcore are not up for the experience again and thus there will be more copies printed then there are consumers available for it.

Is this still viable in retail stores?

I saw this when it was first posted but was far too lazy and was planning on going to reserve myself a copy at GS with some credit. Will I still be upgraded to the CE?

[quote name='MSI Magus']I think DS sold well because it got a buzz going about it and not because it was a good game but because it was a hardcore game.[/QUOTE]
These are synonymous.

[quote name='Jodou']These are synonymous.[/QUOTE]

That's a bold statement right there lol.

I'm just gonna wait and see. If they're printing copies only to fulfill pre-orders, then it may be worth it to grab early on. At least for me, there's no way in hell I'm even touching the game given the holiday's lineup.

@MSI, I'm not sure if you're implying that it wasn't very good, or it sold well on top of being good (for "hardcore" reason) but I saw not much difference between the PS2 KF and DS, and unshockingly I hated both. But... I'll still grab a copy cause I like collecting crap.

So are there actually 2 versions confirmed or will they only make a limited version to make it seem like we are getting something better?

bread's done
Back