Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Xenogears']Thanks elessar

I should have gotten a screen capture of my conversation with the Newegg rep as well, but i didn't. My statement is exactly what i said though. It Seems that newegg has zero CE copies. The rep repeatedly told me i should cancel the order if i want the CE, then re-order the upgraded version even though Newegg does not have it. So thats a lost customer. He would or could not tell me whether they are getting the CE or not. So I don't know, but the customer service rep encouraging me to cancel the order leads me to believe they have none.[/QUOTE]

I do not doubt your word. But if you ever dealt often with Newegg CRs - as I have many times - rarely do you get one that has any clue. You have to talk to a supervisor to get any results.
I have had many problems with Newegg - but all related to shipping damage. They have always come through - but to get real results I always had to ask for a supervisor - or have one call me back. They have a record of all your past orders and will make amends. In this case tho until you actually get the game in hand they really can't do anything - except speculate. (And as I said CRs typically have no idea what they are talking about.)
However - in this case - I am not concerned that I won't get the CE. I ordered it back in August with the discount code - so I can easily 'prove' I ordered the CE in case they fail to send it.
I would suggest those concerned over it just chill until you get your delivery next week. Or simply cancel your order - easy enough to do - and hope to find a CE elsewhere. Personally I am confident I will get the CE - and I'll be sure to post if I did or didn't next week. :)
My advice is not to worry.

Preorderd the ps3 version from amazon. Sent an email to amazon to see if i would be getting the free CE. this is there responce

Hello,

Yes you will receive an automatic upgrade to the Collector's Edition for no extra charge. The Collector's Edition will include a limited edition art book, a mini-strategy guidebook and behind-the-scenes videos and the game's soundtrack for digital download -- all packaged with the game in a custom-designed metal case.

If you still have questions, please write back to us using the below link and let us know.

We hope to see you again.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

I pre-ordered weeks ago from gamestop to get the CE. I went to pay it off today and it says "reg" next to dark souls. I emailed them after calling my gamestop, where they told me the free upgrade ended a week ago and I called them out on that fallacy.

Does any know if the saves in Dark Souls will be copyrighted? I know the saves on Demon's Souls were copyrighted and the only way to back it up is on the PS+ Cloud.

Also I have heard if you are playing and don't quit from the menu a game file can get corrupted. The cause of this was just from frustration and just hitting the power button on the system. Crazy how one could lose 40 hours of game from a stupid mistake & start all over.

^^^ The only reason I stopped Demon Souls (switched HDD before realising saves were copyrighted). Are there any online vendors which still has ps3 ce available? I was late to preorder cause the only two games that I was determined on getting release day was Arkham City and Bf3... but I think I could wait on BF3 now.

I have this pre-ordered from Newegg (ordered 8/7 for $49.99) and Amazon (ordered 5/16 for $57.99). Neither one says collector's edition, but I'm pretty sure the Amazon one is automatically upgraded since it was placed before there was a separate listing for the CE. Should I just cancel my Newegg order since it used to say CE and keep the Amazon one?

[quote name='Ps3akuma']Preorderd the ps3 version from amazon. Sent an email to amazon to see if i would be getting the free CE. this is there responce

Hello,

Yes you will receive an automatic upgrade to the Collector's Edition for no extra charge. The Collector's Edition will include a limited edition art book, a mini-strategy guidebook and behind-the-scenes videos and the game's soundtrack for digital download -- all packaged with the game in a custom-designed metal case.

If you still have questions, please write back to us using the below link and let us know.

We hope to see you again.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?[/QUOTE]

Did you just now pre order it today, or was this from awhile back?

is there anyway to get the release date shipping to work on the 360 CE at Amazon? Product page still says it is offered but there is no option for it at checkout.

[quote name='vesp']is there anyway to get the release date shipping to work on the 360 CE at Amazon? Product page still says it is offered but there is no option for it at checkout.[/QUOTE]

Haha yea same, I just went ahead and pre ordered the 360 version, even though its not what i want at all.. I figure I can trade someone or sell it and buy the PS3 version from some one else.....

If anyone is interested in such trade..... hit me up haha.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Did you just now pre order it today, or was this from awhile back?[/QUOTE]

I would like to know if you just ordered it recently or awhile ago as well

[quote name='themidnighter23']I would like to know if you just ordered it recently or awhile ago as well[/QUOTE]

Yea If i can pre order the regular PS3 edition, then send them an email about the collectors edition and they said that back... Then id take the risk.

since im going to start taking advantage of these kmart deals, just one question on kmart, do they do instore preorders or is it pretty much like wallmart/target 1st come 1st serve, sorry check back next week if we sell out. even if they do sell out i think online vendors might drop the price pretty fast since they ar enot really doing any promotions for this glike they normally do, so im not going to sweet it tomuch about preording hehe(just want to get it before skyrim!):)

[quote name='Xenogears']I'm not the one that called them a horrible company. That's just a quote from someone else that I noticed a few weeks ago. At that time i had not had a bad experience with Newegg and defended them like you. Now I have had a bad experience with them, and get why people have issues with them. Lots of people seem to be having problems with them recently. My issue is not a big one, but the customer rep and policy is what I disliked.

In my case four months ago I pre-ordered Dark Souls Collectors edition. Of course they are not giving us the consumer this information, but it is likely that I and everyone who did that were downgraded to receiving the standard edition at the same price with no notice. I've sent two messages asking about this, the first never got a response, the second in a customer service chat took an hour between waiting around and the customer reps one line corporate fed response. He had no grasp of the situation after repeated attempts to explain it. Just kept repeating a policy statement of "we can't guarantee the version of the game that you will receive. We only waive refund fees if the item is defective." I kept trying to explain the product page clearly said i was ordering the collectors edition, if i dont receive that i would consider the product different than advertised and defective. He kept saying his corporate line. It was a big waste of time that many have had it seems.

Now the CE selling out i can understand. But it seems they have zero copies of the CE. In that case, everyone who pre-ordered the game with them when they were advertising that it was the CE should be notified. And if they want to do a return it should be free.

When it comes to pre-ordering a CE or special version of a game I would definently avoid Newegg. If they mess it up, which they probably will, they wont care and they will charge fee's for a return. Overstock.com, gamestop.com messed up my dragon age II CE orders, but it was an easy and free return. If Newegg does not do this, they deserve to lose customers because of it.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks for filling me in. I've ordered lots of pc hardware from them, but I don't think I've ever ordered a game from them before I ordered Uncharted 3 when it was selling for $48. I went back and forth in my mind about it--should I order from Amazon, pay $61 but get release day delivery, or save some cash and get it sometime later. Hopefully I don't regret going with Newegg. Since Amazon started doing release day delivery, I have ordered from them for everything apart from U3. Its hard to top release date delivery. Anyway, in the past few weeks I've bought Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Disgaea 4, Gears of War 3, Resident Evil 4 HD, and I'll be getting RE: Code Veronica X HD, Dark Souls, and Uncharted 3 all in the next month or so. And probably the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, too. So, I figured if I have to wait a few extra days to get U3, it won't be so bad. I don't know how I'll have time for all these games, anyway. : )

[quote name='Bumslie']Also I have heard if you are playing and don't quit from the menu a game file can get corrupted. The cause of this was just from frustration and just hitting the power button on the system. Crazy how one could lose 40 hours of game from a stupid mistake & start all over.[/QUOTE]
That's how every single game that has an auto-save is. If you turn off the power while the save file is getting written to, of course there's a chance that it'll only be half-written and get corrupted. Most games (Demon's Souls included) will let you know when it's autosaving via a symbol on the screen or whatever. Most will even warn you every single time you turn the game on to not turn the power off while that symbol is on the screen.

[quote name='madcatz1999']That's how every single game that has an auto-save is. If you turn off the power while the save file is getting written to, of course there's a chance that it'll only be half-written and get corrupted. Most games (Demon's Souls included) will let you know when it's autosaving via a symbol on the screen or whatever. Most will even warn you every single time you turn the game on to not turn the power off while that symbol is on the screen.[/QUOTE]

The reason Demon's Souls is notorious for this is because the game saves very frequently (to prevent save scumming.)

[quote name='wastedyears']Ok, thanks for filling me in. I've ordered lots of pc hardware from them, but I don't think I've ever ordered a game from them before I ordered Uncharted 3 when it was selling for $48. I went back and forth in my mind about it--should I order from Amazon, pay $61 but get release day delivery, or save some cash and get it sometime later. Hopefully I don't regret going with Newegg. Since Amazon started doing release day delivery, I have ordered from them for everything apart from U3. Its hard to top release date delivery. Anyway, in the past few weeks I've bought Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Disgaea 4, Gears of War 3, Resident Evil 4 HD, and I'll be getting RE: Code Veronica X HD, Dark Souls, and Uncharted 3 all in the next month or so. And probably the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, too. So, I figured if I have to wait a few extra days to get U3, it won't be so bad. I don't know how I'll have time for all these games, anyway. : )[/QUOTE]

Dammit...... So can anyone confirm whether or not Newegg is going to honor the CE pre-orders? Hell it was in the description of the product that we would be getting the CE. I had canceled my Amazon preorder a while back thinking this would be the first pre-order I do with Newegg. I'm really hoping I'm not SOL....

[quote name='Xenogears']I'm not the one that called them a horrible company. That's just a quote from someone else that I noticed a few weeks ago. At that time i had not had a bad experience with Newegg and defended them like you. Now I have had a bad experience with them, and get why people have issues with them. Lots of people seem to be having problems with them recently. My issue is not a big one, but the customer rep and policy is what I disliked.

In my case four months ago I pre-ordered Dark Souls Collectors edition. Of course they are not giving us the consumer this information, but it is likely that I and everyone who did that were downgraded to receiving the standard edition at the same price with no notice. I've sent two messages asking about this, the first never got a response, the second in a customer service chat took an hour between waiting around and the customer reps one line corporate fed response. He had no grasp of the situation after repeated attempts to explain it. Just kept repeating a policy statement of "we can't guarantee the version of the game that you will receive. We only waive refund fees if the item is defective." I kept trying to explain the product page clearly said i was ordering the collectors edition, if i dont receive that i would consider the product different than advertised and defective. He kept saying his corporate line. It was a big waste of time that many have had it seems.

Now the CE selling out i can understand. But it seems they have zero copies of the CE. In that case, everyone who pre-ordered the game with them when they were advertising that it was the CE should be notified. And if they want to do a return it should be free.

When it comes to pre-ordering a CE or special version of a game I would definently avoid Newegg. If they mess it up, which they probably will, they wont care and they will charge fee's for a return. Overstock.com, gamestop.com messed up my dragon age II CE orders, but it was an easy and free return. If Newegg does not do this, they deserve to lose customers because of it.[/QUOTE]

I guess the warning sign about it not being the CE could be found on the DS website: http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/ All the retailers offering the CE are listed there.

I haven't followed this thread in a few months but is it official that everything listed in the OP is included with the Collector's Edition (i.e. steel book)? Because I remember reading over posts quite awhile ago and someone was butt hurt becuase they had heard that they were NOT including a steel book?

I have had this preordered forever and am going to keep it regardless i just wanted to know what to expected in my shipment as amazon has no details on their product description site

[quote name='prateeko']So I take it there is NO place left where one could obtain the PS3 CE?[/QUOTE]

I think Walmart and Best Buy websites might still have them. If not either store would probably have a few on the shelves on release date.

Heres some news on amazons Collectors Upgrade..... most of you should like this, i know i do!

A Transcript of a recent chat Ive had with amazon rep (using my girlfriends prime account hehe)

You are now connected to Rahamathunisa from Amazon.com.

Me:I want to know if I still get the automatic Upgrade to the collectors edition that is promised with any pre order of the game. Your listing doesn't quite say. any help is appreciated, as it would help me decide my order!

Rahamathunisa:Hello, my name is Rahamath. I'll be happy to look into your issue.
Me:thanks!

Rahamathunisa:Can you hold for a minute or two while I research this for you?

Me:yea sure

Rahamathunisa:Thank.
*Thanks.
Thanks so much for waiting.

Me:sure

Rahamathunisa:I've checked your order.
Customers who pre-ordered Dark Souls will receive an automatic upgrade to the Collector's Edition for no extra charge.

Me:right, so every single pre order? even if the page listing says the "collectors editition" is unavailable? its confusing im sorry haha

Rahamathunisa:Since you have pre ordered the item, it'll be automatically upgraded to the collector's edition.
Is all set, Sarah?
I hope this confirmation will keep your mind at ease.

Me:Yes as long as its a guaranteed upgrade haha. May I save this conversation to confirm my automatic upgrade, incase something wrong happens?

Rahamathunisa:Yes, Sarah.
I'll send you this chat transcript via e-mail.

Me:eek:kay thanks so much!

Rahamathunisa:You're welcome.
Sarah, is there anything else I can do for you today?

Me:I think that will be all! thanks for your help.

Rahamathunisa:My pleasure!
Thanks for visiting Amazon.com. We hope to see you again soon!

Again this is a legitimate conversation with amazon.. My order is in for Ps3... Im using this conversation as proof so I dont get screwed out haha. Take this as you will.

I also checked in with amazon before placing an order for the PS3 version.

You are now connected to Lodoe from Amazon.com.

Me:If I pre-order Dark Souls for Playstation 3 will I get the upgrade to collector's edition?

Lodoe:Hello, my name is Lodoe. I'll be happy to help you today.
Yes,you will get with upgrade collector without any extra charge.

Me:Even though it seems to show the PS3 Collectors as being out of stock.

Lodoe:Right that is out of stock.

Me:So I wouldn't get the upgrade?

Lodoe:You will get with the upgrade.

Me:I'm confused. It shows as being out of stock, but if I pre-order the regular I get the collector's anyway?

Lodoe:Right you will get the collector.

Me:May I keep this conversation as proof just in case I don't get the collectors?

Lodoe:Sure,
And this also will be there on your account.

Me:Much thanks.

Lodoe:Your welcome.
Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Me:That's it.

Lodoe:Thanks for visiting Amazon.com. Have a nice day.

Well I had a PS3 CE reserved at Amazon because I thought it might be nice to hold onto. Doesn't look like the value will be there if they are able to produce them for everyone that's interested. Geez I'm a shmuck :)

Just in case those CR's from Amazon are wrong and there is a limited number of CE's... I'll be cancelling mine this morning.

One PS3 Dark Souls CE coming back onto the market in

I pre-ordered this with amazon on 9/12 when they still have the free upgrade to CE description with it. My order does say that it's CE. Boy am I glad I decided to preorder this instead of waiting.

I went ahead and took a gamble and ordered the PS3 pre-order hoping for a CE. I also contacted CS and they basically told me the same thing. If it doesn't work out, I'm going to Kmart for regular edition w/ $20 coupon.

[quote name='shiveringmelody']I also checked in with amazon before placing an order for the PS3 version.

You are now connected to Lodoe from Amazon.com.

Me:If I pre-order Dark Souls for Playstation 3 will I get the upgrade to collector's edition?

Lodoe:Hello, my name is Lodoe. I'll be happy to help you today.
Yes,you will get with upgrade collector without any extra charge.

Me:Even though it seems to show the PS3 Collectors as being out of stock.

Lodoe:Right that is out of stock.

Me:So I wouldn't get the upgrade?

Lodoe:You will get with the upgrade.

Me:I'm confused. It shows as being out of stock, but if I pre-order the regular I get the collector's anyway?

Lodoe:Right you will get the collector.

Me:May I keep this conversation as proof just in case I don't get the collectors?

Lodoe:Sure,
And this also will be there on your account.

Me:Much thanks.

Lodoe:Your welcome.
Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Me:That's it.

Lodoe:Thanks for visiting Amazon.com. Have a nice day.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I tried to do the same, and the guy I got told me he didn't know if I would get the upgrade and that I would have to check with Namco to find out.

Update: and now I got someone who says the PS3 version WILL NOT be upgrade to the collector's edition, so this is definately YMMV.

Me:If I ordered the Playstation 3 version of Dark Souls, will I still get the automatic upgrade to the collector's edition?

Selvi:Hello, my name is Selvi. I'll be glad to help you today.

Me:Hi

Selvi:****, can you please help me with the link of the item?

Me:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NRN5EO
it should also be in my account

Selvi:Thank you, please hold on while I research on this.

Thank you for being on hold.
I'm sorry to inform you that this play station 3 version by Dar Souls will not be getting upgraded automatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='prateeko']So I take it there is NO place left where one could obtain the PS3 CE?[/QUOTE]
They are still available for pre-order instore at BB as of yesterday.

Does anyone know if amazon ever offered release date delivery? I have 2 day shipping and it isn't going to be delivered until the 7th (estimated delivery date).

[quote name='guardian_owl']They are still available for pre-order instore at BB as of yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Well to jump on the Amazon bandwagon ... I just placed and order and then talked to a CS agent and he confirmed that I will be getting the collectors edition of the game. In retrospect, his name was Satnam and he was probably in India so I dunno how good his word is.. lol

It's funny how crazy people are getting over this CE. It's completely worthless. A tin sleeve over the standard game and a dinky little art book the size of the game box. Really? There's a reason it's free folks. Be happy with the regular edition and get the 400pg hardcover Futurepress guide and thank me later.

"While supplies last - receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost. "

Not to be a downer but Amazon wouldn't have gone through the trouble of creating a separate listing if they have an unlimited supply to send out. Would be nice, but doubtful. Chances are if you contacted CS to hear their scripted info and then throw a hissy fit later, they'll offer you a partial refund for the trouble or just pay for the return shipping.

[quote name='zethca']It's funny how crazy people are getting over this CE. It's completely worthless. A tin sleeve over the standard game and a dinky little art book the size of the game box. Really? Be happy with the regular edition and get the 400pg hardcover Futurepress guide and thank me later.[/QUOTE]

You don't understand. The mini guide is now digital!

[quote name='hyukevain']
Thank you for being on hold.
I'm sorry to inform you that this play station 3 version by Dar Souls will not be getting upgraded automatically.[/QUOTE]

I think you're right about this. The 360 collector's edition is still available for pre-order, while the PS3 isn't. I guess ill try to pre-order at BB.

I doubt the mini guide will be anywhere near as good as the one from Futurepress. They are responsible for the best guides this console generation.

bread's done
Back