Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

I kept getting knocked off when I'd get up to the wall and the archer's arrow kept thumping my shield and knocking me off. I finally just made a run for it and I got close enough to the one on the corner to where he drew his sword. From there, I was able to take him out. Very maddening though.

yeah anor londo is full of frustration. In 3 hours I got summoned twice. Both times I used my humanity to unhollow and get help. Both times I got invaded before getting to twin bosses. Person who invaded me was 10x more powerful than me. The one guy I was only doing 20 points damage on, and the other guy I probably could have beat him before he started using some flame sword than he 4 hit killed me. I have a +4 lightning Uchi, but I am guessing most PVP'rs have built up lightning resistance. fuck, I quit. I'll try in a couple days when i am not so frustrated. Now I am like 68, because I leveled using souls I got from helping. fucking invaders, go get a life. I don't know how to get out of anor londo to go farm humanity, or I would blow this popsicle stand in a second.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']yeah anor londo is full of frustration. In 3 hours I got summoned twice. Both times I used my humanity to unhollow and get help. Both times I got invaded before getting to twin bosses. Person who invaded me was 10x more powerful than me. The one guy I was only doing 20 points damage on, and the other guy I probably could have beat him before he started using some flame sword than he 4 hit killed me. I have a +4 lightning Uchi, but I am guessing most PVP'rs have built up lightning resistance. fuck, I quit. I'll try in a couple days when i am not so frustrated. Now I am like 68, because I leveled using souls I got from helping. fucking invaders, go get a life. I don't know how to get out of anor londo to go farm humanity, or I would blow this popsicle stand in a second.[/QUOTE]

Many people have beaten the game at SL 66 so that's why they have much better equipment.

Good point. I was about 65 when I beat Demons Souls. Watched a video on this boss fight. I think I can do it on my own now. I was trying to run away to isolate dr wolfenstein, but had little endurance left to fight him when he got there, and then fatty closed the distance too quick. The video showed backing away, when Wolf charged fight him, then retreat.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Good point. I was about 65 when I beat Demons Souls. Watched a video on this boss fight. I think I can do it on my own now. I was trying to run away to isolate dr wolfenstein, but had little endurance left to fight him when he got there, and then fatty closed the distance too quick. The video showed backing away, when Wolf charged fight him, then retreat.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure people say Super Ornstein is harder to beat than Super Smough (at least I think so), so maybe it'd be easier to just take out Smough really fast with your lightning weapon?

^ This will be the trickiest part of NG+ for me. I mean, I took care of super Ornstein the first time so I should have the easier path, but I need to make sure I do it right, especially if I use coop like I did last time. I messaged the 2 guys that helped me and said "Smough first" so I guess I could do that again. And of course keep a PS+ save backup in case it goes awry.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I am level 66 trying to fight the twins in anor londo. I need humanity, but have to coop to get some. No one is picking up my sign, am I too high or too low a level?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was around that level and didn't have too much trouble finding people and then, in turn, helping people. It was probably just a fluke. Note also that I think you can be on different servers. If you quit the game and restart you may end up on a different one with more people. One time I had put down my sign to help and no one summoned me for a long time (and I did it right after the elevator). Then I quit and restarted and got into 3 or 4 consecutive coop sessions.

FWIW, I'm level 100 now and still have Tomb of the Giants and the end boss to finish off...

[quote name='snowsquirrel'] I don't know how to get out of anor londo to go farm humanity, or I would blow this popsicle stand in a second.[/QUOTE]
Stupid me, I forgot that you can't warp out since you don't have the Lordvessel yet. Head back the way you came, back through the room with the 2 giants and the chests, and up the stairs. At the top will be one of the winged demons who will carry you back to the ring altar at the top of Sen's Fortress. Backtrack a little through Sen's and you'll be in the room with the cage elevators which you can ride down to return to the beginning of the Fortress. Then backtrack through the tunnel which leads to Undead Burg but keep going straight and you'll be back at the entrance to the Depths.

The hardest part of the Ornstein/Smough battle is fighting both at once, and trying to focus on one over the other. When you get Super Ornstein or Super Smough, you can use the pillars to prevent them from hitting you. Just keep the pillar between you and the boss. I used magic to take Super Ornstein down. I equipped the Bellowing Dragon Ring and shot him with Great Heavy Soul Arrows, then moved down to Heavy Soul Arrows.

Magic is one of the biggest overlooked weapons in this game. Everyone wants to focus on Pyromancy, but I've taken down several bosses w/my Sorcery.

Also, I didn't know if you buy two copies of a spell, you could equip it twice, and sums the number of castings when you equip. That is freaking sweet.

[quote name='jh6269']Also, I didn't know if you buy two copies of a spell, you could equip it twice, and sums the number of castings when you equip. That is freaking sweet.[/QUOTE]
Yep, it is awesome and I plan to chain together 2 Great Combustions in NG+ as soon as possible. Right now I equip 2 to 3 slots of heal whenever I plan on helping with summoning so I don't have to rely on the host paying attention to flask up when I am hurting.

I imagine the main reason most focus on pyro is its combination of potency without having to expend any stat points (it's biggest selling point), but it has a nice mixture of really quick casting short range spells, and quite powerful mid-range spells. If I had more hand slots I would use magic more often but by the time I have a pyro flame, talisman (emergency homeward and heal), sword, and shield I hardly ever get the opportunity to use a bow or sorcery. That's the main thing I miss from Demon's Souls, the ability to use a combo catalyst/talisman so that I could equip one of each weapon type.

I posted this in the PS Store thread but I didn't want you guys to miss it.

There are free Dark Souls Dynamic Themes up in the JP store:

Second entry/box on main store menu -> 9th entry/box down in the list (it has a + symbol and, conveniently, says Dark Souls on the icon :razz: )

Shamelessly stolen from GAF
ATTN DARK SOULS FANS!

The dynamic themes available today are for this covenants:

- Way of the white
- Princess Guard
- Sunlight Warriors
- Darkwraiths

On December 21th, they will release the rest! Also, for free.

- Path of the Dragon
- Chaos Servants
- Forest Hunters
- Gravelord Servants
- Blades of Darkmoon
So more on the way on the 21st.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Yep, it is awesome and I plan to chain together 2 Great Combustions in NG+ as soon as possible. Right now I equip 2 to 3 slots of heal whenever I plan on helping with summoning so I don't have to rely on the host paying attention to flask up when I am hurting.

I imagine the main reason most focus on pyro is its combination of potency without having to expend any stat points (it's biggest selling point), but it has a nice mixture of really quick casting short range spells, and quite powerful mid-range spells. If I had more hand slots I would use magic more often but by the time I have a pyro flame, talisman (emergency homeward and heal), sword, and shield I hardly ever get the opportunity to use a bow or sorcery. That's the main thing I miss from Demon's Souls, the ability to use a combo catalyst/talisman so that I could equip one of each weapon type.[/QUOTE]

I'm just in my first play-through (yeah, I know I'm taking my freaking sweet time), and I was able to get two of each spell by buying one copy from the mages, and then buying a second copy from Big Hat Logan when he goes down to the Duke's Archives. Also, if I equip the Bellowing Dragon Ring, and use the Crystal Catalyst, I can one shot those iron golems in Anor Londo. I was able to kill the Hellkite Dragon in 5 or 6 hits as well. I also do miss the catalyst/talisman combo as well. I bumped up my attunement a few times so I have like 6 slots, and I'm almost up to 36 Intelligence so I can shoot that soul spear.

Also, I do hear you about the pyromancy. It's easy to attain and can give you some pretty sweet attacks, but I still prefer Sorcery because of the range and the power. And I also like it because I feel that each time I increase my Intelligence, and use weapons that have A or S stat bonuses in Intelligence, it just helps me get stronger (but I suppose the same is true for Pyromancy as well).

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I posted this in the PS Store thread but I didn't want you guys to miss it.

There are free Dark Souls Dynamic Themes up in the JP store:

Second entry/box on main store menu -> 9th entry/box down in the list (it has a + symbol and, conveniently, says Dark Souls on the icon :razz: )

Shamelessly stolen from GAF
So more on the way on the 21st.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome. I got the one that's out on the US store, and it's got some bugs (the letters get all messed up when you quit a game and go back to the XMB).
If these don't come out here, I'm going to get them from the JPN store.

I've been having some theme issues since the 4.0 firmware in general. Namely either deleting or applying a theme can and will result in a system lock-up. :whistle2:(

Here's a question for you - while I was doing 4 kings, I was in human form since I had to kindle a bonfire so I decided to bring along a phantom. Obviously this guy had no clue...water's drained, so the shortcut is open. He runs upstairs. Literally, I'm like WTF. He's dead before I make the fog. I thought walking across the bridge with no water around it would be a good enough clue. Guess I was wrong.

Still need to do the Tomb of Giants. That's just more of a plain pain. Stupid skele knocked me off the ledge last time. I need to find that bonfire near Patches.

[quote name='jmbreci']Here's a question for you - while I was doing 4 kings, I was in human form since I had to kindle a bonfire so I decided to bring along a phantom. Obviously this guy had no clue...water's drained, so the shortcut is open. He runs upstairs. Literally, I'm like WTF. He's dead before I make the fog. I thought walking across the bridge with no water around it would be a good enough clue. Guess I was wrong.

Still need to do the Tomb of Giants. That's just more of a plain pain. Stupid skele knocked me off the ledge last time. I need to find that bonfire near Patches.[/QUOTE]

Be careful when you tackle the room full of giant skeletons near that bonfire. I stumbled upon that deathtrap and ended up losing a good number of souls as I worked my way through it. Now I wish I'd just used them all up on the bonfire before heading in there.

[quote name='jmbreci']Here's a question for you - while I was doing 4 kings, I was in human form since I had to kindle a bonfire so I decided to bring along a phantom. Obviously this guy had no clue...water's drained, so the shortcut is open. He runs upstairs. Literally, I'm like WTF. He's dead before I make the fog. I thought walking across the bridge with no water around it would be a good enough clue. Guess I was wrong.

Still need to do the Tomb of Giants. That's just more of a plain pain. Stupid skele knocked me off the ledge last time. I need to find that bonfire near Patches.[/QUOTE]

I got the Ring of Fog and used Cast Light to light my way. If you are past the Four Kings, you should be able to get the Sunlight Maggot; I would recommend that since you don't have to keep using Cast Light. You can also use your extra ring slot for whatever you wish. The bonfire near patches is after you slide down all 3 ramps, and it's directly to the left of where patches is standing. If the giant skeletons follow you, you can get to that bonfire and rest so the giant skeletons will be reset to their original locations.

There are 5 or so more past the fog gate, plus there are 7 or so giant skeleton dogs (they suck worse than the damned giant skeletons). If found the Greatsword of Artorias fully upgraded will kill the Giants in less swipes, plus it kills the little skeletons in one hit. I also used Great Heavy Soul Arrows on the Giant Skeletons, and it can kill them in 2 or 3 hits (if you use the Bellowing Dragon Ring, and your Intelligence is leveled up a good amount).

If you are using cast light, use it before resting at your bonfire, rest, leave and you effectively get 4 casts instead of 3. I never found myself needing that many uses of cast light, but it cant hurt.

Cast light is best when you use the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring; it makes it last much longer. It's just a pain in the ass to equip the ring, cast light, then equip a different ring. That's why the Sunlight Maggot is the best for that area--you don't have to waste a spell casting slot, and you don't have to fiddle with the rings.

Ok, Anor Londo. There are 3 large doors. If you're facing the main door to Ornstein & Smough (the huge lobby outside their area, with the two giants and the archer on your left side), the door to the Gian Smith is on your left. There is a 3rd large door on your right. Can you open this door from the other side? I haven't figured out how to get in that area when you go from the middle door an head up the stairs.

I'd say give him a break, first time I was summoned into New Londo the water was already drained (mine was still flooded) and I was completely lost. Fell off a ledge down into the area where the gate opens into the Valley of the Drakes and I assumed it was the boss fog gate since it was sealed due to multiplayer. Then when they wouldn't come down so I tried to climb back up to join them but there was a fog gate blocking my way, it is just a really confusing place because it is dark and there are so many tunnels going every which way.

What does puzzle me about New Londo is why it is dark, when you stand near the entrance to the catacombs the sun is quite bright and then you can look down to the left and see the sun shining on what I assume are the New Londo Ruins, yet down there it is like night.

Sorry, I can't quite picture what door you are talking about, I'll try looking next time I am in Anor Londo.

As for the person in New Londo, he died. I was just curious as to why anyone would get summoned and just go blindly running off without seeing where the hosts goes. Maybe I'm crazy but if the host is not near me I might go back looking for them. I'm sure I know where he died, but he was out of sight so I had no way to know if I needed to use a flask. That's my only real comment there. It just left me scratching my head.

People shouldn't be trying to get summoned unless they have already beat the boss.

If you're trying to get summoned so you can learn the level without any consequence, then don't leave the host.

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, Anor Londo. There are 3 large doors. If you're facing the main door to Ornstein & Smough (the huge lobby outside their area, with the two giants and the archer on your left side), the door to the Gian Smith is on your left. There is a 3rd large door on your right. Can you open this door from the other side? I haven't figured out how to get in that area when you go from the middle door an head up the stairs.[/QUOTE]

You cannot open that door; it's just for looks.

[quote name='Backlash']You cannot open that door; it's just for looks.[/QUOTE]

boo. I was afraid of that.

[quote name='looploop']No no, you need the pendant to open it.;)[/QUOTE]

Haha. I was reading the wiki forums and they are obsessed with finding a use for the pendant. Sadly, i believe all the secrets of the game have been uncovered though.

[quote name='burz88']Haha. I was reading the wiki forums and they are obsessed with finding a use for the pendant. Sadly, i believe all the secrets of the game have been uncovered though.[/QUOTE]

All of the Internets seems to be obessessed. Mainly because the project lead originally suggested that players take it as a gift, and then indicated in an interview that nobody had found the real use for it yet.

hmmm....thought I posted a "what should I do next" question earlier today. Duke's Archive or Tomb of Giants? I'll mention that I already made a fuck up move and killed Patches. Stupidly being distracted & twitchy fingers....

[quote name='jmbreci']hmmm....thought I posted a "what should I do next" question earlier today. Duke's Archive or Tomb of Giants? I'll mention that I already made a fuck up move and killed Patches. Stupidly being distracted & twitchy fingers....[/QUOTE]

Well, I have done everything but Tomb of Giants. I did Duke's Archive a long time ago. So I would go there first.

As for Patches, all you really need him for are the Eyes of Death, right? I can tell you that post-patch those things drop like candy from a pinata from the curse frogs in the Sewers. I went down there after the patch and got 4 in one run after getting maybe 4 or 5 total killing 100's of them before.

[quote name='jmbreci']hmmm....thought I posted a "what should I do next" question earlier today. Duke's Archive or Tomb of Giants? I'll mention that I already made a fuck up move and killed Patches. Stupidly being distracted & twitchy fingers....[/QUOTE]

Either is fine. I'd recommend getting either the Cast Light spell or the Sunlight Maggot before doing TotG if you can. Makes it much easier. If you're a mage-type character do Duke's first so you can get the Moonlight Greatsword from Seath right away. It's awesome if you have lowish STR and lots of INT.

My first play-through I did Duke's, then TotG, then New Londo, then Demon's Ruins. I think most people don't do them in that order, but that's the beauty of the way the game opens up after the LordVessel.

Big Hat logan has never shown up at the shrine for me after I rescued him. The only person I can buy spells from is his underling. Anywhere else I can get Homing Souls Arrow?

Also what is quickest way to the abyss? I got to end of New Londo, and realized that I had left the Cov. o Artorias in my Bottomless Box. Thoses ghost give me the creeps, I'd rather not have to do whole level again.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']Big Hat logan has never shown up at the shrine for me after I rescued him. The only person I can buy spells from is his underling. Anywhere else I can get Homing Souls Arrow?

Also what is quickest way to the abyss? I got to end of New Londo, and realized that I had left the Cov. o Artorias in my Bottomless Box. Thoses ghost give me the creeps, I'd rather not have to do whole level again.[/QUOTE]
The first time you rescued him? In Sen's Fortress? or the Second time you rescue him, in the Duke's Archives?

Let's see if I can remember, when you enter the first building I believe there is an elevator to your left which takes you down to the place where water drains and there are several Dark Wraith which will rush the elevator. Then turn right out of the building and you will be there.

The other option is to go through it as normal until you arrive at the area with the long covered causeway. Cross the causeway and follow the stairs along the wall which have a gap you can't cross, briefly enter the building, down the stairs and arrive back outside the building on the other side of the Gap. Look over the side of the cliff and you should see the entrance to Abyss stairs down below which you can jump down to. Dash into the fog gate quickly to avoid the dark wraith which is down there.

I think the easiest, quickest way to the 4 Kings is this:

Go past the 2 bridges at the beginning and beat (or run past) the first two ghosts. Instead of going up the stairs, go to the right and look down. You can drop down into the little wading pool there. you won't take much damage if you drop onto the wall first. Then just beat (or run past) the one darkwraith there. Go into the room up the short flight of stairs and beat or run past the enemies in there and you're at the fog door.

I rescued him in Sen's, and haven't seen him since. I haven't been to Dukes, headed there tonight.

I beat four kings last night, using Backlash's route (found it on youtube). The four kings were surprisingly easy, and a boring fight. I just ran straight at them and two handed them. I may be over leveled for them, but regarldess of whether they were easy or not, they were boring to look at, and their attacks boring. My least favourite fight in Dark Souls and Demon Souls for sure.

wtf? I opened big hat Logan's cell in sen's and he thanked me and stood there, but he never showed up at fire link. Now I Just opened his cell in the archives and he isn't there either.

Did I do something wrong, or does my mage have to turn melee now, because I can't get any of the good spells.

He wasn't in the tower in the archives. A fire keeper soul was and that's it. I haven't beat death yet... Would that be the reason he isn't in the cell?

[quote name='snowsquirrel']He wasn't in the tower in the archives. A fire keeper soul was and that's it. I haven't beat death yet... Would that be the reason he isn't in the cell?[/QUOTE]

Normally he's sitting on the ground in the big cell in the archives (kind of hard to see him but you get the tall prompt to the right of the cell door). Then you get the key and come back and he says "thanks" or something. Then you find him again later in another part of the archives, where he really blends in. As a hint, it's in a kind of library area.

I know from the map where he should be. I really think the game is glitched for me, on this aspect. Go back to Sen's and see if he is still sitting there.

Speaking of Sen's: I killed the golem dropping the boulders down the shoot there, but he respawned. Is that normal? He seems big enough that he would not respawn.

Probably. Although I also saw a neat video where someone stood in front of that wall and baited the snakeman that rests down there. If the snakeman does his overhead swing and hits the wall it will actually break the wall for you. Pretty cool.

Need some advice. I have beaten most areas. I'm currently lvl100 with roughly 100hours playtime and I am a strength character.

Anyways the latest place I went into is The Catacombs. I was always afraid of that place so I kept out. Anyways recently just went in there and I now feel over powered! I literally killed the boss in 3-4 hits with the Dragon Tooth hammer. I was like WTF. Anyways can anyone name him for me? It's the boss with 3 masks.

So now I'm deep and find myself in Tomb of Giants. I read that, that takes you to Lost Izaths(or something) which may lead to the end game? Anyway, all I need to know is there a shortcut out of here without warping? The reason is BC I saved that chick and want to buy her spells but if I warp out, I'd need to go through The Catacombs again! Thanx and sorry if this contains spoilers.

[quote name='Backlash']Probably. Although I also saw a neat video where someone stood in front of that wall and baited the snakeman that rests down there. If the snakeman does his overhead swing and hits the wall it will actually break the wall for you. Pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

This happened to me too. I didn't put two and two together about the rock being able to bash that wall so basically I spent a TON of time trying to get the snake men to bash other walls.

[quote name='darknight88']Need some advice. I have beaten most areas. I'm currently lvl100 with roughly 100hours playtime and I am a strength character.

Anyways the latest place I went into is The Catacombs. I was always afraid of that place so I kept out. Anyways recently just went in there and I now feel over powered! I literally killed the boss in 3-4 hits with the Dragon Tooth hammer. I was like WTF. Anyways can anyone name him for me? It's the boss with 3 masks.

So now I'm deep and find myself in Tomb of Giants. I read that, that takes you to Lost Izaths(or something) which may lead to the end game? Anyway, all I need to know is there a shortcut out of here without warping? The reason is BC I saved that chick and want to buy her spells but if I warp out, I'd need to go through The Catacombs again! Thanx and sorry if this contains spoilers.[/QUOTE]

The boss from the Catacombs is Pinwheel, and he's pretty easy at almost any level. Especially if you summon the NPC Lerroy to help. I also felt over-powered by the time I went down there since I had already done The Archives and New Londo first. Though I was about level 70 I think.

Tomb of the Giants is basically a dead-end. It leads only to a boss that gives you one of the Lord Souls, so you'll have to kill him to complete the game. There's no shortcut out or back in, really, so I'd finish it up while you're down there. Otherwise you have to go through the catacombs again (though you can drop down from bridge to bridge pretty quickly) and through the Tomb again.

Lost Izzy connects via Blighttown -> Quel's Domain -> Demon Ruins -> Lost Izy

Only shortcut out of Catacombs / Tomb of Giants is warping.

It's pretty easy to get through the catacombs once you have flipped all the Bridges. Enter catacombs, climb down ladder and kill the skeles, go past the first bonfire. Once you are in the first open area where there was a necromancer on your right, kill the 2 skeles, start to cross the first bridge, but look over on your right side and below. You should see a rock platform jutting out about 6 feet. Drop down to it, roll out of the way of the hovering, exploding heads if there are any when you land. Then on the right side of that platform you landed on look for a spot on the cliff where it juts inward a bit to form a V, and inch forward to drop down onto a ledge from the V, then drop down again to the next ledge and you will be 6 feet from the area with all the wheel skeletons.

Alternately watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md-WBbvIXgc

Well the update in my ongoing Missing Logan Saga:

previouslyl: He was not at firelink after rescuing him. He was not in the cell in the Archives Tower.I beat

Seath, and then went back to Sen's. Logan was still in the cage. I talked to him and he said he was going to go to FireLink, but he needed to stay there for a minute to log some things. He told me this months ago when I rescued him too. It was interesting that the wall was not smashed out to get to him, I had to redo it. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Anyway, I was so frustrated wtih him I gave he a good hard single stroke from my +5 Lightening Uchi. Which hopefully was enough to teach him a lesson. (It wasn't enought to agro him.) Hopefully he wrote that in his log.

~S

bread's done
Back