Darksiders $15, Mass Effect 2 & God of War 3 $18 and More - GameFly Weekly Deals

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[img-r=1]1372[/img-r]GameFly is having a 3 day used game sale with great prices and free shipping on the titles listed below. GameFly's games come complete with manual and case, are guaranteed and are usually in excellent condition. Sale ends 9/17.

:360::ps3: Darksiders (360/PS3) $14.99
:360::ps3: Alpha Protocol (360/PS3) $17.99
:360: Dante's Inferno $14.99
:360: Mass Effect 2 $17.99
:ps3: God of War III $17.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='zsciaeount']Gonna finally bite on Alpha Protocol.

To anyone who doesn't already own it, Darksiders is an absolute steal at that price... very good game that borders on great. I had a lot of fun with it...[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was wondering about Darksiders. It didn't get great reviews but the word of mouth (at least from people on here) has been pretty strong. It's worth $15 then? Looks like it's going for ~$20 used in most places so it's a deal from that point of view at least. I don't see too many people excited about it on this thread - is that just because everyone already has it?

[quote name='brkptr']Thanks, I was wondering about Darksiders. It didn't get great reviews but the word of mouth (at least from people on here) has been pretty strong. It's worth $15 then? Looks like it's going for ~$20 used in most places so it's a deal from that point of view at least. I don't see too many people excited about it on this thread - is that just because everyone already has it?[/QUOTE]

I absolutely recommend Darksiders, especially at $15. I bought it — for $20 on Amazon — and beat it about a month ago. I thought it was a great game. If you like the Zelda games, then you'll be right at home with Darksiders, since it follows a similar formula, and Darksiders is structured in such a way that always keeps the game interesting (there's always new stuff to obtain and explore). The only part of the game that I've heard people complain about is the final quest, but I thought it was fine, since I opened up all the teleport locations, and by that time, you have a certain mode of transportation that helps — plus, I liked going back to the places earlier in the game where I needed an item that you only obtained later in the game. Also, the ending of Darksiders was fucking awesome; I can't wait for Darksiders 2.

Nice, time to re-buy ME2, I traded it back into gamestop two weeks after launch since I knew the deals would come-a-running later down the line.

Tempted to bite on :ps3: Alpha Protocol and :ps3: GOW3. I'm under the impression that between the scratch resistant discs and what I've read on here about getting new cases that these are basically like new. I'm wondering if I'll see them for less than this price in that condition any time soon or if I should just pull the trigger...

[quote name='brkptr']Thanks, I was wondering about Darksiders. It didn't get great reviews but the word of mouth (at least from people on here) has been pretty strong. It's worth $15 then? Looks like it's going for ~$20 used in most places so it's a deal from that point of view at least. I don't see too many people excited about it on this thread - is that just because everyone already has it?[/QUOTE]

I don't want to be an ass, but:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/darksiders

83 isn't great? I think the game was universally praised, but it sort of got lost in the shuffle of "OMG BAYONETTA" and Mass Effect 2 coming out relatively soon after, plus it being a new IP. You sound convinced already, but I'm a staunch supporter of this game and dev team now because I loved it.

[quote name='Razzuel']I absolutely recommend Darksiders, especially at $15. I bought it — for $20 on Amazon — and beat it about a month ago. I thought it was a great game. If you like the Zelda games, then you'll be right at home with Darksiders, since it follows a similar formula, and Darksiders is structured in such a way that always keeps the game interesting (there's always new stuff to obtain and explore). The only part of the game that I've heard people complain about is the final quest, but I thought it was fine, since I opened up all the teleport locations, and by that time, you have a certain mode of transportation that helps — plus, I liked going back to the places earlier in the game where I needed an item that you only obtained later in the game. Also, the ending of Darksiders was fucking awesome; I can't wait for Darksiders 2.[/QUOTE]

Wow, not even my huge ever growing pulsating backlog can beat a glowing review like that. I'm in for Darksiders on 360 - thanks Razzuel and Cheapy.

In for Dante's Inferno. Loved the demo when I played it ages ago and I've been waiting for it to drop sub $20 in price. I would get Darksiders too, but just picked it up from Sam's Club for $17.xx! Awesome deals!

Going to resist this time, but damn if I'm not literally only getting my games now from these gamefly sales.

Is this their September sale? Or just a quickie?

[quote name='DarkonJohn']That's only if someone already used the code that came with the game. I'm not sure they would send that code with the disk for a rental, so I think there is a decent chance you'll get an unused code when buying used from GameFly.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with this?[/QUOTE]

I rent from Gamefly all the time. They neever send the coce. Whenever I have bought a game from them, all the original materials are included.

Chooka

Darksiders was never a bad game.
The fact that Bayonetta released practically together followed by Mass Effect 2's release just stole all its attention.

Thanks Cheapy. Picked up Gow3. Was holding out till it was $20 or less as I still have quite a backlog of games to play through. Nearly bought it when Gamestop had it on sale but this is at an even better price. Will wait on Alpha Protocol and the others as I'm not really interested in them. Good prices though. Thanks!

I'm gonna go broke. Not to mention the backlog a mile long. In for Mass Effect 2 and Darksiders Xbox 360. Sad that all the really good new games are coming out the next few months and yet I'm still buying with these sales. lol

ME2 WILL have the cerberus code.
Every game I bought from Gamefly had all the original codes.
For example, Gears of War 2 had the flashback code unopened.

[quote name='TheSingingBard']I'm gonna go broke. Not to mention the backlog a mile long. In for Mass Effect 2 and Darksiders Xbox 360. Sad that all the really good new games are coming out the next few months and yet I'm still buying with these sales. lol[/QUOTE]

totally with you on this... btw, first time i've purchased used games from gamefly. heard that some used games are pristine while others been not?

[quote name='supraazn']ME2 WILL have the cerberus code.
Every game I bought from Gamefly had all the original codes.
For example, Gears of War 2 had the flashback code unopened.[/QUOTE]

but is it expired?

Edit: found someone on Ign who says it doesn't expire till January

God of War III for $17 shipped? Hell yes! I still have yet to play 1 and 2 from the Collection, but I bought this anyway. :)

[quote name='crewj']totally with you on this... btw, first time i've purchased used games from gamefly. heard that some used games are pristine while others been not?[/QUOTE]

I have ordered tons of games from Gamefly, and the only problem I ever had (besides slow shipping) was one of the manuals had a small amount of water damage. They replaced it with no hassle. Never had a disc with any visible wear and tear. All in all, I've had a very good experience.

been on the fence about darksiders for a while now. for 8.XX shipped after 5 dollar coupon, I couldn't pass it up. awesome stuff.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']but is it expired?

Edit: found someone on Ign who says it doesn't expire till January[/QUOTE]

Yes, just to update.
The Cerberus Code will expire on January 1, 2012.
That's a little more than a year.

Still can't decide on Alpha Protocol... and every time I can't decide, it shows up a week later even cheaper.. so yeah, I'll keep with that.

Own everything else, but I will also add my recommendation for Darksiders at that price. Excellent game if you are a fan of Zelda-ish things.

And ME2.. for anyone who has yet to play it, this is a fantastic price considering you should get the Cerberus code. My #1 game of the year pick.

Thanks for the heads up on these deals. I've been looking to get ME2 ever since Hastings screwed everyone over with their ME2 out of stock, and this is a better price with free shipping.

[quote name='crewj']totally with you on this... btw, first time i've purchased used games from gamefly. heard that some used games are pristine while others been not?[/QUOTE]

Ordering Darksiders. Oh and I've never had any issues with Gamefly when buying used PS3 games from them. As others have said, everything appears to be new except for the fact it is not shrink wrapped.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']but is it expired?

Edit: found someone on Ign who says it doesn't expire till January[/QUOTE]I bought DAO from them this July and it came with the Shale and Blood armor codes. Both said that their expiration was April 31 2010, but they both worked when I entered them in July, so no worries.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Why not? If it was the story component, then you won't like this one. If it was the combat, you may like this one. It's basically gears of war combat.[/QUOTE]No, the story was fine. Maybe it's because I don't play a lot of RPGs, but I felt completely lost. I got only as far as when you first leave the Citadel. Had no idea where to go, or what to do, tried a few planets at random, got slaughtered over and over again, and put the game aside. I was also very confused by the weapon leveling-up/inventory system.
[quote name='AsherFischell']I felt the exact same way about the first one. I got bored quickly and didn't finish it. However, I absolutely love the second one and beat it within a week. It's one of the best games of the year and that's a good price. You should give it a try.[/QUOTE]See, now you've got me real close to spending $17.99 and keeping Assassin's Creed 2 in my backlog for just a little longer....

[quote name='Danimal']No, the story was fine. Maybe it's because I don't play a lot of RPGs, but I felt completely lost. I got only as far as when you first leave the Citadel. Had no idea where to go, or what to do, tried a few planets at random, got slaughtered over and over again, and put the game aside. I was also very confused by the weapon leveling-up/inventory system.
See, now you've got me real close to spending $17.99 and keeping Assassin's Creed 2 in my backlog for just a little longer....[/QUOTE]

ME2 is pretty good (though I liked the first a lot better) but I absolutely loved Assassin's Creed 2 (and I really disliked the first one). IMO, AC2 should be at the top of your backlog stack. That's my favorite game I've played in a while, along with Batman:AA.

You'll probably like ME2 better than the first if lack of direction was your main problem with it. This one has a much narrower scope and more limited options, both in things to do and in levels/inventory. For me it lost a lot of the fun RPG-ish stuff that I enjoyed in the first, but for someone that's not too into RPGs it's a lot more streamlined and approachable. It's a quality game, despite me personally being a little disappointed by it, and $18 with the Cerberus code is a good deal.

Ugh, GoW3 is calling but with a backlog a mile long I'm not sure I can pull the trigger on this one.

Also have to pub Darksiders - It was some of the most fun I've had with a single player game. The Stygian fight was awesome.

[quote name='Danimal']No, the story was fine. Maybe it's because I don't play a lot of RPGs, but I felt completely lost. I got only as far as when you first leave the Citadel. Had no idea where to go, or what to do, tried a few planets at random, got slaughtered over and over again, and put the game aside. I was also very confused by the weapon leveling-up/inventory system.
[/QUOTE]

ME2 was far better in telling you where you need to go, the map shows you where to go for all available quests and there is no inventory system, only a weapon loadout system -- which you never really need to change since it auto upgrades you to the best weapons available at the time. The only weapon I changed out frequently was the heavy weapon selection.

I liked ME1, but ME2 made the best user interface decisions i've ever seen in a sequel.

Any thoughts on Alpha Protocol 360 vs PS3?

Being able to get a few extra hours at work I'm thinking about caving on a new name.

Digital Foundry sadly didn't do a head to head on the game so any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

In for a Dante's Inferno. I really enjoyed the demo and heard the visuals in that game were worth the price of admission alone. ME2 was tempting but i haven't finished with ME1 yet so i can wait on that one.

I just beat ME 1 over the weekend for the second time hoping that Gamefly would get it under $20 soon. Looks like I timed it perfectly. Now I just need to finish the new game of ME 1 that I started up right after I beat it.

[quote name='youngavatar']i just wanted to know is dante inferno gameplay and stages on the same level as bayonetta and how long is it?[/QUOTE]

Just look at the post above you for an answer. ;)

Basically, if you want a game that's made for the masses, then get GOW3 or Dante's Inforno, which can be zipped through with ease with button mashing and lots of QTEs. If you like a bit more challenge, less chance of surviving with button mashing and much less QTEs, then get Bayonetta. If you want hard core challenge with zero QTEs, a game that doesn't tolerate button mashing where you must learn the combat system, the Ninja Gaiden series is what you want. Hope I help you make your decision. My personal choices are from the bottom up.

ME2 for under $20 ? SOLD! and here I was telling myself that I shouldn't buy anymore after getting Reach yesterday and Bioshock 2 with the last Gamefly deal.

Let the backlog begin....

bread's done
Back