DayZ mod for Arma II, Actual Zombie Survival

[quote name='SynGamer']So...the dayz site appears to be down. I installed Play withSIX and see a server list but am not sure which one to join. I believe the actual mod still needs to be install...[/QUOTE]

DayZ Commander is probably the most popular launcher/updater at the moment. It can be easy to use (to download DayZ + patches) but it can also screw up, or even temporarily mess with your router while searching for games, so...

Here's a straightforward way to install it, manually, if you think you're up for it (I do it all manually, myself):

http://dayzmod.com/?Download

Ok...so I bought this off of Gamefly and installed it as a normal retail game, aka, NOT Steam. Should I uninstall Play withSIX?

EDIT: I have the beta patch installed. I'm going to assume I can follow your instructions and just ignore the Steam parts (file path-wise).

EDIT2: OK, so my install path for the DayZ files is: C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@DayZ\Addons

Last edited by a moderator:
So after you guys hooked it up with a Ghillie and LMG I was feeling pretty good and decided to play on my own today. Everything was goin smooth til it got dark, then i got attacked by a pair of zombies and shot them, which led to a big horde arriving and bashing me which made me faint, then i got mauled and killed by the zombies, so back to the drawing board lol. Whens the next CAG night?

[quote name='SynGamer']Ok...so I bought this off of Gamefly and installed it as a normal retail game, aka, NOT Steam. Should I uninstall Play withSIX?

EDIT: I have the beta patch installed. I'm going to assume I can follow your instructions and just ignore the Steam parts (file path-wise).

EDIT2: OK, so my install path for the DayZ files is: C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@DayZ\Addons

[quote name='MrshllJcb']So after you guys hooked it up with a Ghillie and LMG I was feeling pretty good and decided to play on my own today. Everything was goin smooth til it got dark, then i got attacked by a pair of zombies and shot them, which led to a big horde arriving and bashing me which made me faint, then i got mauled and killed by the zombies, so back to the drawing board lol. Whens the next CAG night?[/QUOTE]
Well, usually on Wednesdays. But don't be scared to steam msg people in the group. I honestly don't play as much, but will definitely put my other games to the side to play with other CAGs on Day Z.

(This is Brentron for all you others).

[quote name='option.iv']Well, usually on Wednesdays. But don't be scared to steam msg people in the group. I honestly don't play as much, but will definitely put my other games to the side to play with other CAGs on Day Z.

(This is Brentron for all you others).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, i shoulda been smarter about it, but oh well. It was a good run. This has been my main game so far, but i just grabbed Diablo 3 and have B2 preordered so its gonna have to share time. My new computers getting a workout lol.

Alright, so after help from Rhett and option.iv I was finally able to get DayZ running, through Steam, in a customized window mode resolution. Details will follow below later tonight. Overall, it wasn't too complicated once Rhett figured it out.

EDIT: Step-by-step guide for installing a retail (in this case Gamefly digital) copy are below, this is assuming you purchased Arma 2: Combined Operations:

1. Download Arma 2 & Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead

2. Install Arma 2 (I chose C:\Program Files\ as my base path)
--2a. Install Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (same folder/path as Arma 2).

3. Download & Install Patch(es)
--3a. Download patch 1.50-1.60, and/or patch 1.60-1.62.
--3b. Install patch 1.50-1.60 first if necessary, otherwise install patch 1.60-1.62. Installing the patch(es) is easy, simply extract the .zip contents to a separate folder and then run the .exe to initial the patch process. The on-screen instructions will guide you the rest of the way.

4. Download & Install "Beta Patch"
--4a. Download the latest "Beta Patch". This will be the first .zip file at the top and will also be the largest build number.
--4b. Installing the patch is easy, simply extract the .zip contents to a separate folder and then run the .exe to initial the patch process. The on-screen instructions will guide you the rest of the way.

5. Download & Install DayZ (about damn time!)
--5a. Download the latest DayZ "Manual installation" build (scroll to the very bottom) from the official site. (You can also grab the torrent version which is below the manual installation section).
--5b. Installing the DayZ mod is easy, simply extract the .zip contents to a separate folder, and label this new folder "@DayZ" (no quotes). Inside the newly created "@DayZ" folder you will want to create another folder called "Addons" (if one doesn't already exist) and move ALL files into this new folder. Now you need to move the enter "@DayZ" folder to your Arma 2 installation. My path looks like this: "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@DayZ\Addons" but yours may be different based on operating system and folder/drive setup. All that is important is "ArmA 2\@DayZ\Addons".
--5c. Download & Install DayZ Commander to keep your DayZ mod up-to-date. Once DZC is installed, go to "install/update" at the top and click "install" next to DayZ mod (build #) if necessary. This step is optional. You can manually update DayZ should you choose to do so.

6. Add Game to Steam
--6a. Load Steam and go to Games >> Add a Non-Steam Game to my Library, and then browse to your installation folder and select "arma2oa.exe". Steam will now add Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead to your Steam Library (locally).
--6b. Find "ARMA 2 Combined Operations" in your library and then right-click and click Properties. Find the Target and replace what you see with the following:
"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2OA.exe" -mod=Arma2;EXPANSION;CA;@DayZ -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash
(include quotes). Click Close when done.

7. PLAY
--7a. If all goes well, you can click "PLAY" in Steam and Arma 2 will launch. If it is a success, you should see a black screen with the DayZ logo, followed by DayZ in the top right corner once the game loads.
--7b. Click on Expansions on the main menu and make sure DayZ has a green box next to it. If it does not, click on @DayZ and click Enable. Otherwise click @DayZ and then click OK. You will return to the main menu where you can click Multiplayer and should be taken into the server screen. Pick a server and enjoy :)

*Note: You will need at least 25 GB of free space to install Arma 2: Combined Operations. 17 GB will be your final installed folder size, the extra 8-9 GB is for extracting files during installation.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Yeah, i shoulda been smarter about it, but oh well. It was a good run. This has been my main game so far, but i just grabbed Diablo 3 and have B2 preordered so its gonna have to share time. My new computers getting a workout lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you'll get better given time. I used to die from zombies a lot, now I hardly sweat them. You'll still get that occasional blind side out of nowhere zombie that breaks your leg or knocks you out, but asides from that they get pretty manageable usually.

I've been playing a lot the past couple of days and nights. I keep finding stanag sd ammo constantly the past few nights I have like 20 magas of it. By the time I use once clip I find three more, so I've been littering the area with zombie bodies on my quest to find a DMR or repairable helicopter. Maybe at some point I should consider using a tent despite the drawbacks.

[quote name='solidus_00']fuck fuck fuck I've found a helicopter. Needs everything except the hull. Crap this is going to be hard.[/QUOTE]

Dang.

I was playing with my brother, ran into some guys at the NW airfield, southern barracks... We didn't get to creep up too close before they took off on their dirt bike though.

Then my cousin joined, and shortly after some guy appeared out of nowhere (in a hero skin) and made a weird noise. They talked, and he seemed friendly... Supposedly the guy was "the owner of the server", but I really doubt it. The guy was at the very least using scripts... Spawned my cousin an ATV and some gear, I guess, and walked off/disappeared.

Then no more than 5-10 mins later, me and my brother are out in an open field when a bright blue van appears out of nowhere, near us. Guy gets out and says "Hey guys. I don't want this van any more. Help yourselves." -- was the same guy that talked with my cousin. Alfred J. Pennyworth. I highly doubt he was the owner, but at the very least, he was a "fun" or non-asshole-ish script user. We talked a little, and he walked off into the sunset and vanished. Both vehicles were fully repaired/gassed etc...

Drove and met up with cousin. We three went to Cherno. Heard gunshots. Drove to hide vehicles. Noticed guy in ghillie sorta running up to the hill (only like 6 people total on server) where we drove the vehicles to. I was behind a tree with my M24... I had to take the shot or he would have found us. He keeled over unconscious, and bled to death in the field. His friend, whom I didn't even know was there, was crawling up to the hill, nearby. My cousin popped him once in the skull...

I kinda feel bad for them, but oh well. Afterwards, we went to drive out of town and the van I was driving bumped into a roadblock (brother was AFK, in the passenger seat), and the engine died. I got out... vehicle caught on fire, and kicked my brother out of the car... He was unconscious and gushing blood. So yeah, wasted that van. ATV is okay at least... But yeah, eventful, haha.

Crap, I got enough of it repairable found a Main Rotary, Engine, scrap metal, and a few window glass even though you don't need it to get it flying. Everything except it wouldn't give me a freaking jerry can! I just needed one and I could do a few runs to the nearest fill up, but nooo. Hell I came across like a dozen Rotary and Engine parts but no fuck JERRY CAN!!!........bastard game.

I'm too dam tired to continue :oldman: I get the feeling I just did a lot of work for someone. And to top it off I accidently fried my SVD Camo and a good amount of Stanag SD ammo in a fireplace when I forgot to take it out before I lit the match #-o

I'm liking these encounters you guys are describing. This thread can serve as some sort of Day Z diary for when you guys go solo. Feel free to leave out the hours of running through forests though.

[quote name='option.iv']I'm liking these encounters you guys are describing. This thread can serve as some sort of Day Z diary for when you guys go solo. Feel free to leave out the hours of running through forests though.[/QUOTE]

Dear diary,

Today, I ran.

I ran some more. I ran through a field. I was chased by a zombie. I ran by a pond. I ran into what I thought was a person in a ghillie suit, but it was a stump. I ran into what I thought was a helicopter crash, but it was a rock. I stopped for five minutes to squint at what I thought was a person, but it was also a rock. I ran for fifteen more minutes. I ran into the bushes and logged out.

Attempt #1

*Game loads server A* "Oh fuck it's dark..." *Start pressing buttons* "Nothing..." *Pull up wiki for controls, see that I have to right-click to equip flashlight* *Press L* "Oh shit, zombies!" *RUN* *STILL RUNNING* "Can I attack with my bare hands?" *Nope*.

Attempt #2

*Game loads server B* "Shit, still dark. Screw this" *Disconnect*.

Attempt #3

*Chat with Rhett* "Blah blah blah, not sure what I'm doing, blah blah blah" *Game loads server C* "It says I'm in Kemanda" *Rhett says that's about 4.x miles away* "I see a dock and some houses...and a lot of zombies" *Rhett says it's probably best I die and respawn* "I'll run a bit, see if I can find anything" *It didn't go very well*.

Attempt #4

*Game loads server D* "Looks like I'm even further west than I was last time..." *Still chatting, Rhett says I can die and respawn again if I want* "No, I think I'll try running" *Runs* *Still running* "Oh look, zombies" *Starts zig-zagging* "I think I lost them" *Rhett says he has to go* "A bike?" *Gets on bike, rides for 5 minutes* *Zombies chasing, continues riding* "Looks like I lost them again..." *Nope* "Oh shit, this thing can't go up hills?" *Zombies still chasing* "fuck this!" *Gets off bike and starts running* *More zig-zagging* *No zombies in site* "I think I'll just lay down behind this bush..." *Disconnect*

And thus concludes my first foray with DayZ.

[quote name='shosh']updated the op. wish we couldve updated the title too though[/QUOTE]

Just let me know what you want it to say.

[quote name='option.iv']I'm liking these encounters you guys are describing. This thread can serve as some sort of Day Z diary for when you guys go solo. Feel free to leave out the hours of running through forests though.[/QUOTE]

Dear diary,

I log in the helicopter is gone.:cry: I'm pissed. I look to my right in the distance and see a down heli crash site. I walk up scan the ground nothing good a Bizon sd and a FN Fal not worth it due to the ammo only being at crash sites. Look a bit more something caught my eye as I swayed the the crosshair. Deep with the wreckage itself I find a AS50. Now when I find who took the repairable heli I can fuck shoot them out of the sky! :lol:

Haven't played since meeting my untimely demise the other evening. Will probably play today after work while watching some football, hopefully the Pats are up 21 so I don't feel compelled to watch too closely. I got a lot of work to do since ill be fresh off the beach

Edit. How bout those Patriots?

I assume CAG game night tonight? If anyone is looking for something particular in game, let me know and I'll see if I can bring it. I accumulated enough crap now that I can open my own army surplus store :lol:

[quote name='solidus_00']I assume CAG game night tonight? If anyone is looking for something particular in game, let me know and I'll see if I can bring it. I accumulated enough crap now that I can open my own army surplus store :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna try to join tonight after class (around 11:30pm Eastern time). I died and havent restarted a character really so I could you anything you have to spare lol

Nice find Sporkis, and I apologize I had to leave early. I hope you guys had fun though without me. Did you guys every pick up apollo?

[quote name='option.iv']Nice find Sporkis, and I apologize I had to leave early. I hope you guys had fun though without me. Did you guys every pick up apollo?[/QUOTE]

Not quite. We got close enough to him that he said he could hear us but not see us. Insidious decided to pull into the depot just west outside of town to fill up the jeep, so we had to go just by or around him I think. While doing that apollo said he would run towards our direction and agroed some zombies while doing it. I ran out from the depot walls to see if I could pick them off of him, but didn't see him. Tried to pinpoint which direction he was in from the zombie screams, but couldn't differ from the sounds in game and the sounds coming over the headset. While I was doing that he either went down or logged out to lose the zombies since he was practically running around blind. I couldn't exactly hear clearly because of the zombie screams. I thought he said he would log back in, again didn't hear it clearly, but he never did.

And for the diary.....:)

After that we just went on a scenic drive because we were the only ones on the server. The guy who was taking pot shots at us earlier left.
04326BBC7232B7CAE1B293CAF1FBCC975BD284AE

Found a pick up truck that needed a engine and gas, then Insidious got the idea that we should repair it so we could race. That became the current mission. Drove all over the map checking every industrial spawn looking for the engine part we needed.

On a long stretch of highway to break up the awkward Insidious questions, "I wonder what would happen if I were to 'eject'?".

My reply, "Lets find out" :D

Heard a crunching noise, laughing, and questions of why did you do that. Respawned shortly after, Insidious then backtracked a little to find some poor bastard standing on the side of the road waving a flashlight looking for a ride.

Got into the jeep mentioned now that I can't use my flashlight I can't see a damn thing. Then a soft, soothing voice says to me, "Sit back. Relax and enjoy the ride. I'm going to take to a special place.":shock:

My reply, "Please don't go Deliverance on me man.":lol:

A short drive later we come across some roadkill *cough*
2099AD4247F650CC577D003D4EBD78F6278772F8

Looted this obvious dumb sob's corpse for anything of value, then buried him to hide the shame from his family. Insidious said a few words, something like "He was a good man, but not a smart man." I don't know I wasn't really paying attention.:lol:

Drove a little more found a large industrial area. We decide unless we find the part here we're going to call it a night. Scoured the area looking for the part. Insidious decides he's gone to climb up onto a roof and snipe some zombies. I run into a factory check a few loot spawns climb up a ladder to check the second floor rafters. Once a get to the top of the ladder it warps me to the middle of the room, I fall then die...again. After some what happens, Insidious makes his way over steals my military flashlight and my wallet, then hides the evidence.

Then I hear the following sentence, "You wanna hear something really ironic? The engine is in the next room over.":oldman:

Some cursing, some realization on Insidious's part that taking the engine back to the truck won't do any good since he can't drive two vehicles. We called it a night.

I just like to point out the only time I ever die now in this game is when I'm playing with you guys :D

Anyone interested in my keys for ArmA II and Operation Arrowhead? I purchased the game through GameFly but I can provide the download links and keys. I just don't have time to play it right now.

$15 for anyone interested. And yes, I know this isn't the right forum but I figured I'd mention it here first.

Sad to hear you go.

Lemme be real, the game is pretty much dead among us CAGs. I'll still play and hold a night this Wednesday. But it seems most people have moved on (usually dat Borderlands 2).

[quote name='option.iv']Sad to hear you go.

Lemme be real, the game is pretty much dead among us CAGs. I'll still play and hold a night this Wednesday. But it seems most people have moved on (usually dat Borderlands 2).[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'm waiting to see how the standalone version turns out. If it's $15-20 I may consider it. I need to see how exactly is being improved first.

[quote name='option.iv']Sad to hear you go.

Lemme be real, the game is pretty much dead among us CAGs. I'll still play and hold a night this Wednesday. But it seems most people have moved on (usually dat Borderlands 2).[/QUOTE]

BLASPHEMER!!! :lol:

Well the hacking situation is out of control. Which wouldn't be so bad if it was just people spawning in weapons and vehicles and such.
But this game is a decent time investment, just running across the map. It sucks to be teleported into the sky or ocean and just have to wait for your death.

That's why I'm waiting for the standalone.

[quote name='UnicornBang']Where is the cheapest place to buy Arma 2. And do I need any of the expansions? Looking to play with cool people.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you need both Arma II and it's expansion, Operation Arrowhead. Amazon and Steam sales sometimes have them on sale, but their prices haven't really moved anywhere close to reasonable since DayZ launch (understandably though) with ARMA II being a 2 year old buggy game with animations from 2004.

[quote name='UnicornBang']Where is the cheapest place to buy Arma 2. And do I need any of the expansions? Looking to play with cool people.[/QUOTE]

If I were you I just hold off for the stand alone release. That is if your buying it just for DayZ. The as of now it's looking like a December release for the alpha, someone correct me if I'm wrong :). I think most of us that are still interested are waiting for the stand alone in hopes of improvements and better stability.

The CAG DayZ group right now has really died down. Hell I don't know if there is evening a CAG night still. Last one I was in, there was only two of us and we both agreed not to even bother that night. I have no idea if there was a follow up after that. I still occasionally play and still would like to play with a group, but even my interest has waived considerably since every dam tent that I had rifles placed in across multiple servers glitched all at once and lost my entire collection.

bread's done
Back