[DEAD] GameFly PC Download Summer Sale: Final Destination

Bosamba

CAGiversary!
GameFly Summer PC Download Sale
Sale Ends 6/20/2012 at 11:59 PM PST.

Extra 10% off code SLICK0611 Valid thru the 24th (can be used multiple time, only applies to Digital Games, Pre-Order Digital Games, Bundles, Bundles containing Pre-Order Items.)
Final Destination (All 94 Titles)

West Coast

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 $2.49
Spellforce 2: Dragon Storm $2.49
Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars $2.49
SpellForce Platinum Edition $2.49
GUN $2.49
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas $3.75
L.A. Noire $4.99
Blur $4.99
Cabela's Trophy Bucks $4.99
Vampire: The Masquarade Bloodlines $4.99
Driver: San Francisco $7.49
Dead Rising 2 $9.99
Call of Juarez: The Cartel $12.49
Need for Speed: The Run $13.99
Alan Wake $14.99
Fallout New Vegas $24.99
DiRT 3 $24.99
DiRT Mega Pack(includes DiRT 1, 2, 3, and Showdown) $79.99

East Coast

SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition $4.99
Grand Theft Auto IV $4.99
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City $7.49
Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition $29.99 (4.99 + 7.49 = WTF?)
Prototype $4.99
Prototype 2 + Pre-Order Bonus $49.99
Left 4 Dead 2 $6.79
Batman: Arkham Asylum Game Of The Year Edition $4.99
Batman: Arkham City $7.49
Mafia II $7.49
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 $9.99
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 $40.19
The Darkness II $12.49

Kingdoms of Fantasy

Tomb Raider: Underworld $3.75
Kings Quest Collection $4.99
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director's Cut $4.99
The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings Enhanced Edition $33.99
Total War: Shogun 2 $8.99
Rift $9.99
Rift Ashes of History Digital Collector's Edition $7.49
The Lord of The Rings: War in the North $9.99
A Game of Thrones: Genesis $9.99
Two Worlds II $9.99
The Sims Medieval $10.19
Stronghold 3 Gold $29.99
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning $35.99
TERA $39.99
TERA Collectors Edition $49.99
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim $40.19

The Old World

Assassins Creed 2 Deluxe Edition $4.99
Assassins Creed Brotherhood Deluxe Edition $9.99
Assassins Creed Revelations Gold Edition $19.99
The Saboteur $4.99
Sid Meier's Civilization V $7.49
Empire and Napoleon Game of the Year Edition $10.19
Football Manager 2012 $19.99
Wargame: European Escalation $26.79
Battlefield 3 $29.99
F1 2011 $33.49
Sniper Elite V2 $44.99

Islands of Adventure

Far Cry $2.49
From Dust $3.75
Just Cause 2 $4.99 (Redeemable on Steam)
Pirates of Black Cove $4.99
Sniper: Ghost Warrior Gold Edition $4.99
Risen $5.99
Bioshock 2 $7.49
Jurassic Park: The Game $7.49 (Redeemable on Steam)
Crysis Maximum Edition $8.99
Tropico 4 $9.99
Dead Island $11.99 (Redeemable on Steam)

The Final Frontier

Space Quest Collection $4.99
Dead Space $4.99 (Can be activated on Origin)
Dead Space 2 $4.99 (Can be activated on Origin)
Aliens vs. Predator $5.99 (Redeemable on Steam)
Mass Effect $4.99
Mass Effect 2 $4.99
Mass Effect 3 $35.99
Transformers: War for Cybertron $7.49
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine $10.19 (Requires Steam)

Road Trip to the Future

X-Com: UFO Defense $1.25
Portal 2 $6.79 (Steam required)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution $7.49 (Steam required)
Singularity $7.49
Back to the Future: The Game $7.49
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition $9.99
Homefront $9.99 (Steam Required)
Brink $9.99 (Redeemable on Steam)
Syndicate $20.39 (Origin required)
Anno 2070 $24.99
Rage $29.99 (Steam required)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently got back into pc gaming (new build^^). I'm so confused with current pc gaming. I bought The Witcher on gamefly...is it possible to activate it on Steam (tried it, but no luck).

Also, is it better to hold off on Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 for the Steam sale...or will it be around the same price?

OP Updated. If you know which titles are Steamworks, redeemable on Steam, require Origin, etc. please feel free to update the list; it's wikified.

[quote name='OmniBeast_322']Can Crysis maximum Edition be redeemed through Origin so I don't have to dl Gamefly's client/deal with the slow download?[/QUOTE]

Last I checked, Crysis can't be redeemed through Origin but you can get it activated through their customer support if you're lucky. Crysis Wars/Warhead can be activated (might have to use the old activation site to do it, I can't remember).

[quote name='sunghost']Last I checked, Crysis can't be redeemed through Origin but you can get it activated through their customer support if you're lucky. Crysis Wars/Warhead can be activated (might have to use the old activation site to do it, I can't remember).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just wait for Amazon to have a sale.

[quote name='omnicious']The Gamefly client can be uninstalled after the game is downloaded right?[/QUOTE]

Yes it can.

Bought AA GotY and Jurassic Park. I bought a few others but missed AA when it was originally on sale and JP was a whim buy. Batman AC took literally several off and on days of downloading, it's so slow. Main reason I haven't bought DS1 or 2, waiting on Steam.

Just thought I would warn anyone that Sniper: Ghost Warrior will not activate on Steam. Despite it being a Steamworks title, the activation codes given through Gamefly do not follow the same alphanumeric format. I tried this morning and others have reported the same issues.

[quote name='omnicious']Is the cheapest L4D2 has been? Also does anyone have an opinion Vampire Bloodlines?[/QUOTE]

L4D2 has been $5 before. It might be cheaper during the Steam summer sale, but not by much.

[quote name='kingkongcompany']Just thought I would warn anyone that Sniper: Ghost Warrior will not activate on Steam. Despite it being a Steamworks title, the activation codes given through Gamefly do not follow the same alphanumeric format. I tried this morning and others have reported the same issues.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't surprise me. The Sniper: Ghost Warrior key from Green Man Gaming doesn't register on Steam either.

People should not take that list that Valve posts as an absolute that a game will activate. It's sufficiently vague and just says 'keys in the format of ABCD-1234-WXYZ' but of course you don't know what format key you have until you buy the game.

I honestly think it should be up to the seller to inform you about whether or not a game requires Steam, or for that matter any DRM, but some sellers are really lousy about doing that.

If the store page doesn't tell you either way then never buy a game assuming it will activate on Steam based on that list. Better to ask around.

[quote name='dejeckt']I recently got back into pc gaming (new build^^). I'm so confused with current pc gaming. I bought The Witcher on gamefly...is it possible to activate it on Steam (tried it, but no luck).

Also, is it better to hold off on Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 for the Steam sale...or will it be around the same price?[/QUOTE]

It won't work for steam but you could redeem your code at gog.com for a drm-free backup. http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/

Depending how many Valve games you have you might want to wait for the sale they always put their whole collection up in a nice bundle super cheap.

[quote name='Owlmanus']Can anyone please let me know if Arkham City activates on steam?[/QUOTE]

No. Warner chose GFWL as their DRM of choice unfortunately. If you want it on Steam you will have to buy it there.

[quote name='Owlmanus']Can anyone please let me know if Arkham City activates on steam?[/QUOTE]

Why would it?
Arkham City (PC) requires Microsoft's GAMES FOR WINDOWS LIVE.

[quote name='omnicious']Is the cheapest L4D2 has been? Also does anyone have an opinion Vampire Bloodlines?[/QUOTE]
A very good and interesting game for the price. I'd recommend it.

Does Dead Space series work both on origin and steam? It seems like you can buy it through steam also.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lilseung']Does Dead Space series work both on origin and steam? It seems like you can buy it through steam also.[/QUOTE]

You can buy it on Steam, but you cannot activate a key on Steam.

There are a lot of EA games that can be purchased on Steam, but absolutely no EA games that have Steam activatable keys.

Does Civ 5 activate on steam? It says it requires steam works but I can't seem to figure out how to register on steam...

EDIT: I figured it out, I'm really interested in trying Civ 5 and the expansion pack for $7.50 was a great deal.

Just bought Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY, Fallout GOTY Grand Theft Auto IV, and Grand Theft Auto Episodes from Liberty City! Screw the Complete Edition! But I am tempting on getting Batman Arkham City and Just Cause 2 though?

Arkham City and Just Cause 2 are two of the best games of all time for less than $15. Both are two of the best looking games currently on PC. Do it.

[quote name='Idiotekque']On the flipside, if you're using user mods that auto-updating will often break the custom mods.

I prefer having shortcuts to the games I'm actually playing on my desktop.[/QUOTE]
If you want a shortcut for a Steam game, simply right-click it in the library, select properties, and create a shortcut. Heck, it even gives you the option to automatically create shortcuts when you first install the game. You can also go to the updates tab in properties and turn off automatic updating.

[quote name='avwjase']I had about 30 games purchased from Direct2Drive and only about 10 of them are available through Gamefly. I have 20 games in my purchased history that I cannot download, access or anything. I have e-mailed them several times and they keep saying "we are beta, sorry" -- well, yeah. How about my games?[/QUOTE]
Strange that they wouldn't mention how you can still download them from outside of the client. I was mad about this too until I did some research and found out where.

Log into GameFly. Go to "My Account" in the top right, then "Purchase History" in the bottom left, then click the "D2D Downloads" tab. Best part is you won't have to use the stupid client for any of those purchases (for now, at least).

[quote name='Bizzquik']Just tryin' to learn the ropes on this whole PC-downloading thing now that I have a video card that isn't pathetic.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='dejeckt']I recently got back into pc gaming (new build^^). I'm so confused with current pc gaming.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to paradise, you guys. You'll be saving tons of money for superior versions of games. Just a fair warning that it is highly addicting.

I feel like I should make a thread for PC digital distribution shopping tips. I'm just not sure what sub-forum would be most appropriate for it. I'll keep it basic for now, though... For my research into good purchases I use steamgamesales and Wasted on Steam. Both can give you price history for various sites so you can see what the lowest prices have been and if you're getting a good deal.

Woot! I found a way to backup installation files downloaded from GameFly's client.

1. In the bottom of the GameFly client is a gear icon. Click it.
  2. Take note of the "Games download location" as this is where you'll find your files.
  3. Download the game that you want.
  4. Once it has finished downloading, do not install through the GameFly client. Instead browse to the folder you made note of earlier.
  5. There should be a numbered subfolder inside of it which contains your game's installation files. Rename the folder to the game's name and copy/move it wherever you'd like for archiving.
  6. Delete the crappy client and never look back.

Excellent. Decided to get Jurassic Park. Although reviews aren't kind, I want to experience the game. $6.74 (after the 10% code is even cheaper than the lowest of 75% I could hope from the Steam Summer Sale.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Arkham City and Just Cause 2 are two of the best games of all time for less than $15. Both are two of the best looking games currently on PC. Do it.[/QUOTE]
Screw it, I'm getting the two! My gaming laptop is suppose to come in today, just in time to try out these games! :D

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']If you want a shortcut for a Steam game, simply right-click it in the library, select properties, and create a shortcut. Heck, it even gives you the option to automatically create shortcuts when you first install the game. You can also go to the updates tab in properties and turn off automatic updating.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip about shortcuts. Do the shortcuts open up the Steam client and the game or just the game though? As for turning off updates though, many have said that simply doesn't always work.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']Woot! I found a way to backup installation files downloaded from GameFly's client.

1. In the bottom of the GameFly client is a gear icon. Click it.
  2. Take note of the "Games download location" as this is where you'll find your files.
  3. Download the game that you want.
  4. Once it has finished downloading, do not install through the GameFly client. Instead browse to the folder you made note of earlier.
  5. There should be a numbered subfolder inside of it which contains your game's installation files. Rename the folder to the game's name and copy/move it wherever you'd like for archiving.
  6. Delete the crappy client and never look back.[/QUOTE]
Interesting, I'll have to check that out next time. Kind of a waste of time to delete the client though when you'll just have to install it again the next time you buy a game through GameFly. People make it out to be worse than it really is when all it is a downloader/installer. It's not like you have to have it open to play a game.

[quote name='ipwnu713']Does it activate on Steam?[/QUOTE]

Nope, tried to use cd key through steam, but no luck.

I installed games using the GameFly client... can I still delete the client and still have access to the games? I'm guessing I could, but a previous post mentioning about backing up the game files got me worried.

What's one game I shouldn't miss from this sale? At the moment I'm saving till steam sale...but kinda want another game.

[quote name='SlightlyOffTrack']Welcome to paradise, you guys. You'll be saving tons of money for superior versions of games. Just a fair warning that it is highly addicting.

I feel like I should make a thread for PC digital distribution shopping tips. I'm just not sure what sub-forum would be most appropriate for it. I'll keep it basic for now, though... For my research into good purchases I use steamgamesales and Wasted on Steam. Both can give you price history for various sites so you can see what the lowest prices have been and if you're getting a good deal.[/QUOTE]

I would welcome that thread. Good idea!

Has anyone played the Gamefly version of GUN that was in this sale? It just crashes on startup for me. I tried the usual old games workarounds but no luck...

Picked up Jurassic Park and the Space Quest Collection for $11.23 after the code. Hope I don't have too many difficulties getting the SQ games to run on Windows 7.

Can anyone weigh in really quickly as to whether it's worth picking up fallout 3 when running windows 7? It seems like there's a few reports of crashes and other problems.

Does anyone know if Mafia II can be registered on Steam if I buy it from Gamefly? I thought it was a Steamworks game but it doesn't say on the page that it requires Steam.

[quote name='dejeckt']I installed games using the GameFly client... can I still delete the client and still have access to the games? I'm guessing I could, but a previous post mentioning about backing up the game files got me worried.

What's one game I shouldn't miss from this sale? At the moment I'm saving till steam sale...but kinda want another game.[/QUOTE]
Yes, you can uninstall it. Don't know why it's that big of a deal though; you'll just have to reinstall it if you buy something else.

And I'd recommend Vampire: The Masquerade. L.A. Noire and Fallout 3 GOTY are also great games at good prices.

i really want to get CIV 5 but id love it for steam or DMR free at least if not on steam... its only 7.50ish... what do i do here my entire pc collection is on steam.. should i see if amazon will match are they better to buy from.? sorry i just love having my games in a nice tidy collection

[quote name='cdwjustin']i really want to get CIV 5 but id love it for steam or DMR free at least if not on steam... its only 7.50ish... what do i do here my entire pc collection is on steam.. should i see if amazon will match are they better to buy from.? sorry i just love having my games in a nice tidy collection[/QUOTE]

Civ V requires Steam so you will have to add it to your Steam account no matter where you buy it from.

[quote name='cdwjustin']i really want to get CIV 5 but id love it for steam or DMR free at least if not on steam... its only 7.50ish... what do i do here my entire pc collection is on steam.. should i see if amazon will match are they better to buy from.? sorry i just love having my games in a nice tidy collection[/QUOTE]
Amazon really hasn't been price matching at all lately...

very tempted to pick up Jurassic Park. Also want to pick up Sim City 4 but might pass since it is not redeemable on steam. Also, I have a feeling that the steam summer sale will be coming up soon, so I might as well just wait to pick up Sim City during that.

bread's done
Back