[DEAD] Grindhouse Special Edition Blu-ray $9.99 @ BestBuy.com YMMV

Just out of curiosity for future reference: does BB charge you before you pick it up at the store if you choose store pickup? Sounds like someone had trouble getting a refund yesterday when they refused to honor their mistake, but the circumstances may have been different.

[quote name='Jodou']Just out of curiosity for future reference: does BB charge you before you pick it up at the store if you choose store pickup? Sounds like someone had trouble getting a refund yesterday when they refused to honor their mistake, but the circumstances may have been different.[/QUOTE]

jodou, I'm not sure, but I can offer this, I have my BB credit card saved on there for deals like this, b/c like many people have said, if you refuse to pick it up, it just gets canceled and drops off. I've used PayPal before and declined to pick up b/c something wasn't happening, it took like 7 days for me to get that money back b/c PayPal charge goes up on bank account (if so linked) almost immediately after placing, then if you tell them you want to cancel in store that moment (before I knew about refusal to pick up deal) then thats the deal, so best to avoid PayPal. As for the using your debit card, I'd say it be up to how that bank handles pre-approvals and what not, like you get $1.00 pending until you pick up or the next day if BB has to authorize..too bad they just don't have a check box for cash..

[quote name='Jodou']Just out of curiosity for future reference: does BB charge you before you pick it up at the store if you choose store pickup? Sounds like someone had trouble getting a refund yesterday when they refused to honor their mistake, but the circumstances may have been different.[/QUOTE]

BB charges you for in-store pick up, because it's paid for when it's "picked" pretty much. So if you get the email that it's confirmed it's there, that's when you get charged.

They do this because if they can't find it, they won't fulfill it, or "pick" it, so they don't have to go through the refunding process.

[quote name='Squarehard']BB charges you for in-store pick up, because it's paid for when it's "picked" pretty much. So if you get the email that it's confirmed it's there, that's when you get charged.

They do this because if they can't find it, they won't fulfill it, or "pick" it, so they don't have to go through the refunding process.[/QUOTE]
Oh word, so they don't automate the whole process based on store inventory. That makes sense in a consumer-friendly way, albeit annoying when you're trying to cash in on a mistake. ;)

Thanks for the info guys, since I'd rather not deal with the headache of a refund if they choose to say no.

[quote name='Squarehard']The only thing they normally scan, is the order barcode from the email, if they scan anything.[/QUOTE]

Not my experience last night. At my store, they had pulled the Grindhouse set, and all seemed to be going well, but then the guy scanned it and of course the SKU didn't match. So he decided that the wrong thing must have been pulled, because my order was for the "Special Edition" and the case on the blu-ray said "Collector's Edition". He then proceeded to spend about twenty minutes searching for a separate "Special Edition" -- which I tried to tell him he wasn't going to find, but he wouldn't listen. Finally, he apologized that they "didn't have it". So then I had to cancel the order, which he couldn't do himself, so we had to call the corporate office to do it. The representative that we got there had apparently just dealt with someone else over the same issue who was quite rude to her over it, so she was good and snippy with me. For some reason it took her another fifteen minutes to do the cancellation. So, I wasted a little over half an hour in the store and walked out with nothing. That's the risk that you take with these things, of course, but they could at least have their processes down to make it all more efficient.

[quote name='Squarehard']BB charges you for in-store pick up, because it's paid for when it's "picked" pretty much. So if you get the email that it's confirmed it's there, that's when you get charged.[/QUOTE]

If I am incorrect and the policy has been changed, please correct me, but as recently as a few weeks ago, the customer's credit card is charged when the customer picks up the item and signs for it. The reason for that is mostly due to the fact that if the customer does not come in and pick up the item, BBuy does not have to deal with the additional hassle of running the transaction (and any included processing fees) and then running a refund. This is why you don't have to actually cancel your order to get a refund. Since you aren't charged until you pick it up, after eight days, the order just goes away. No harm, no foul.

As for debit, Paypal or other alternative payment methods, I dunno. I just know the credit card policy.

Long Story Short: Your credit card is charged when you pick up the item. Not before.

I suppose it's possible that BB places a pending charge on the card to validate sufficient funds, then completes the order when you pick it up. Would actually make sense since so many people were having issues getting a refund since there was no actual charge yet.

[quote name='Darthjer']If I am incorrect and the policy has been changed, please correct me, but as recently as a few weeks ago, the customer's credit card is charged when the customer picks up the item and signs for it. The reason for that is mostly due to the fact that if the customer does not come in and pick up the item, BBuy does not have to deal with the additional hassle of running the transaction (and any included processing fees) and then running a refund. This is why you don't have to actually cancel your order to get a refund. Since you aren't charged until you pick it up, after eight days, the order just goes away. No harm, no foul.

As for debit, Paypal or other alternative payment methods, I dunno. I just know the credit card policy.

Long Story Short: Your credit card is charged when you pick up the item. Not before.[/QUOTE]

As of yesterday thats not the case. the item was charged when it was picked by the store staff. basically what you said is accurate except the charge is actually made, the order sits in a limbo of sorts until it is picked up or 8 days has passed.

I'm going tonight for mine. Don't think I'll have too much trouble if the right people are working the cs desk. I'm kinda like Norm on "Cheers" at my Best Buy. Everybody knows my name. :)

Ahh hell I'm gonna give this a shot. BB.com doesn't show the Grindhouse pack as in stock but I'm pretty sure I saw a bunch a day or two ago. No big deal if it doesn't work out for me.

M

1-888-Best-Buy placed an order for 9.99 for me. :D It's backordered until November, but that's okay I can wait. I just gotta remember to extend the order if it's gonna do that thing where it tries to cancel for insufficent stock.

So to recap, they placed 750 reward zone points (15.00) in my RZ account and then honored the 9.99 price today. :D

Haha, that you do, but I can wait. Movie backlogs are great.

I just checked my order and for some reason I wasn't charged tax. So my ten dollar RZ certificate (I asked her to edit the movie total up to 10.00 so I could use my 10 dollar RZ cert) paid for the thing entirely. This just keeps getting better.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Haha, that you do, but I can wait. Movie backlogs are great.

I just checked my order and for some reason I wasn't charged tax. So my ten dollar RZ certificate (I asked her to edit the movie total up to 10.00 so I could use my 10 dollar RZ cert) paid for the thing entirely. This just keeps getting better.[/QUOTE]

so you ordered to get it shipped? and then called the help line to be sure?

thanks for the help

[quote name='exRounder']so you ordered to get it shipped? and then called the help line to be sure?

thanks for the help[/QUOTE]
No, I called in and asked for Bestbuy.com customer support. I explained the situation and they got the approval to over ride the price. Then the order was placed over the phone.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']No, I called in and asked for Bestbuy.com customer support. I explained the situation and they got the approval to over ride the price. Then the order was placed over the phone.[/QUOTE]

oh, so before you even placed an order, you called it in to make sure, and then the order was placed my phone?

i know i sound like a four year old asking for directions, but thanks for bearing with me

Was able to get mine today but not without a little work. When I went to pick it up it was of course Death Proof. So I just played dumb with the guy and he then just attempted to exchange it but the computer wouldn't let him. He told me to call the 1-800 number which I did and talked to the lady for about 10 mins and she informed me that I had to go to the store and ask them to do it. I go back in (I was sitting in the parking lot) and talk to the same guy and tell him that they told me that I had to call the store and have it fixed. Well he does something don't recall what it was but something about a return with no receipt and in the long run I walk out with it paying only $9.99 plus tax. Also I was very polite throughout the whole process so that probably helped out alot. And surprisingly the lady on the phone was very nice to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='neoz']Was able to get mine today but not without a little work. When I went to pick it up it was of course Death Proof. So I just played dumb with they guy and he then just attempted to exchange it but the computer wouldn't let him. He told me to call the 1-800 number which I did and talked to the lady for about 10 mins and she informed me that I had to go to the store and ask them to do it. I go back in (I was sitting in the parking lot) and talk to the same guy and tell him that they told me that I had to call the store and had it fixed. Well he does something don't recall what it was but something about a return with no receipt and in the long run I walk out with it paying only $9.99 plus tax. Also I was very polite throughout the whole process so that probably helped out alot. And surprisingly the lady on the phone was very nice to me.[/QUOTE]

Haha...nice.

[quote name='integrafied1']Haha...nice.[/QUOTE]

ha ha thanks pretty happy about it because now I can return the one I got from Amazon.

[quote name='exRounder']oh, so before you even placed an order, you called it in to make sure, and then the order was placed my phone?

i know i sound like a four year old asking for directions, but thanks for bearing with me[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't make sure of anything, I called in to complain and explained the situation. They looked at it and decided I was justified and honored the 9.99 price for me and placed an order.

I never placed an order for 24.99, if that's what you're asking.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't make sure of anything, I called in to complain and explained the situation. They looked at it and decided I was justified and honored the 9.99 price for me and placed an order.

I never placed an order for 24.99, if that's what you're asking.[/QUOTE]

gotcha, thanks

Thinking back..I remember i once bought a guitar hero game only, and they asked if I bought it with a guitar after they just peeked at the receipt..so I coulda gotten one of those for 59.99 :lol:

Score! Out the door for $10.59. Was fairly easy. Saw 2 of the girls that work at the pickup desk that I'm friendly with as I walked in and asked them to pull the 3 pickups that I had waiting and went back to the TV section to get LCD cleaner for my TV, computer and laptop. Went back up and one of the girls already scanned the 3 items while waiting for me to come back. When I looked in the bag I saw that it was "Death Proof". Just told her the the wrong one was pulled and showed her the in-store pick up receipt I printed out (just in case) and she said to go get the right one. Brought it back up, she looked at it, replaced "Death Proof" with the "Grindhouse" SE and said "See you next week!" I'll take care of her during the holidays! :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't work for me. They used the SKU - so it was the Death Proof Blu-Ray. When I questioned it and pointed to the description, she said "let me check it online" and when she typed in the SKU, the image popped up of Death Proof Blu-Ray and so I couldn't fight anymore.

Worth a shot, but definitely YMMV

[quote name='SX0T']Didn't work for me. They used the SKU - so it was the Death Proof Blu-Ray. When I questioned it and pointed to the description, she said "let me check it online" and when she typed in the SKU, the image popped up of Death Proof Blu-Ray and so I couldn't fight anymore.

Worth a shot, but definitely YMMV[/QUOTE]

Yeah exact same thing with my try.

M

Got my copy without a hitch!!! Ordered online for instore pick up, the lady of course pulled Death Proof, I let her start her process then I told her to let me see the movie and of course it was Death Proof, so I told the lady that was the wrong movie the one I had ordered was Grind House Collector's Edtion. So I proceeded to go get the right movie and brought it back to her, she was like I must have grabbed the wrong one, I was like yes you did. She scanned the print out and switched the movies to the correct one and I proceeded to walk out!!! Whoo-hoo!!!:bouncy:

it's just a movie after all, I guess I'll save myself the hassle. Most movies only get played once or twice in my collection unless it's a kung fu/action one

[quote name='SX0T']Didn't work for me. They used the SKU - so it was the Death Proof Blu-Ray. When I questioned it and pointed to the description, she said "let me check it online" and when she typed in the SKU, the image popped up of Death Proof Blu-Ray and so I couldn't fight anymore.

Worth a shot, but definitely YMMV[/QUOTE]

Hate to say it, but I think you gave up a little too easy. SKU or not, the description is for the Grindhouse Special Edition - it's very clear, both in the title of the product page and the description itself.

I'm trying this tomorrow, and I don't think it should be too much hassle.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']My online order shipped yesterday. For $13 (the nearest BB is about 25 minutes away for me) this is still a good deal assuming the right disc ships.[/QUOTE]

OMG, that sounds like a huge gamble..do you plan on returning if you get the single disc?

taht was freaking exhausting they pulled death proof i whined and they said tough luck so i called customer service and that guy told me tough luck and i asked to talk to his supervisor. and she said that she was going to mail me a 15 dollar best buy giftcard. It was very stressful though, but i guess that is SUCCESS after all is said and done

[quote name='teknikalei']Hate to say it, but I think you gave up a little too easy. SKU or not, the description is for the Grindhouse Special Edition - it's very clear, both in the title of the product page and the description itself.

I'm trying this tomorrow, and I don't think it should be too much hassle.[/QUOTE]
heres the key, customers dont shop by sku, if you typed in grindhouse it comes up, everythign abotu the title and description would lead the customer to believe they were buying the grindhouse special edition.
customers dont use sku's the sku could be "xbox360" and it would have no bearing on what the title and description of the item are.

Anyway, its probably not worth the hassle to most. if it had taken longer than 3 minutes Id have gone on with my day.

[quote name='teknikalei']Hate to say it, but I think you gave up a little too easy. SKU or not, the description is for the Grindhouse Special Edition - it's very clear, both in the title of the product page and the description itself.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='paz9x']heres the key, customers dont shop by sku, if you typed in grindhouse it comes up, everythign abotu the title and description would lead the customer to believe they were buying the grindhouse special edition.[/QUOTE]

The problem that I ran into, as I said before, was that the order said it was for the "Special Edition", whereas the actual packaging says "Collector's Edition" on it. That, combined with the SKU being different, added up to the Best Buy employee deciding that they must be two different things, and searching pointlessly for a non-existent version labeled as a "Special Edition". When he couldn't find it, it also became the excuse for them not honoring the deal, because they didn't have the "Special Edition" that I had ordered in stock, and they couldn't give me the "Collector's Edition" because it had a different SKU and was $24.99. There wasn't much more to be done about it at that point.

No luck, and I've written Corporate about the awful service I got. Had Death Proof waiting; I balked, they gave me the SKU schpiel. I nicely asked for a refund and was told I could only get store credit! They wouldn't budge. Talked to a sweet girl in the call center who offered a cash refund if I mailed the disc to her offices (?!). Her Supervisor was a monotone flatliner who kept telling me my only recourse was to go back to the store and take credit! I just want my cash back!

[quote name='mathyou']No luck, and I've written Corporate about the awful service I got. Had Death Proof waiting; I balked, they gave me the SKU schpiel. I nicely asked for a refund and was told I could only get store credit! They wouldn't budge. Talked to a sweet girl in the call center who offered a cash refund if I mailed the disc to her offices (?!). Her Supervisor was a monotone flatliner who kept telling me my only recourse was to go back to the store and take credit! I just want my cash back![/QUOTE]

that's BULLSHIT!!!, you get a refund based upon how you paid for the item. NOT a store credit. if you paid with a CC it just goes back on your card.

[quote name='mathyou']No luck, and I've written Corporate about the awful service I got. Had Death Proof waiting; I balked, they gave me the SKU schpiel. I nicely asked for a refund and was told I could only get store credit! They wouldn't budge. Talked to a sweet girl in the call center who offered a cash refund if I mailed the disc to her offices (?!). Her Supervisor was a monotone flatliner who kept telling me my only recourse was to go back to the store and take credit! I just want my cash back![/QUOTE]

[quote name='wormraper']that's BULLSHIT!!!, you get a refund based upon how you paid for the item. NOT a store credit. if you paid with a CC it just goes back on your card.[/QUOTE]

Wormraper is right. What BB is trying to do is definitely not right. The only time they should give you store credit back is if you paid by store credit. If you paid by cash your receipt should so so, and that's all the proof you need to get your cash back.

I've never heard anything like this before!

[quote name='token2k6']OMG, that sounds like a huge gamble..do you plan on returning if you get the single disc?[/QUOTE]

Totally. Thought I'd roll the dice and see what happens...I'll just keep it hanging around and return it when I drive up there in the next couple of weeks if it's the wrong one.

I was rejected as well. Told the CS that I didn't want it and they didn't do the in-store transaction so my account will be refunded in a week or so. No loss, a buddy of mine got me it for $13.

bread's done
Back