Dead Island - A Trailer You MUST See!

Hopefully the actual game will be able to achieve some semblance of the tone of the trailer. If it does, it could really be something special.

[quote name='ihadFG']Hopefully the actual game will be able to achieve some semblance of the tone of the trailer. If it does, it could really be something special.[/QUOTE]

It won't, it's being designed around co-op..more specifically 4 players. As I said in the ps3 forum topic, you can't have any form of fear or suspense with bros shouting in your ear or nagging you to just run right into a horde of zombies and mutilate them. Imagine dead space or amnesia with co-op...not so scary or good anymore.

The IGN article said you can play single player, but the key phrase was it's being designed around co-op. That's way different than just throwing co-op in. With co-op it will just devolve into a typical boring arcadey action game like L4D

I would like to see gameplay first. The video looked nice but has me thinking the gameplay will suck.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']It won't, it's being designed around co-op..more specifically 4 players. As I said in the ps3 forum topic, you can't have any form of fear or suspense with bros shouting in your ear or nagging you to just run right into a horde of zombies and mutilate them. Imagine dead space or amnesia with co-op...not so scary or good anymore.

The IGN article said you can play single player, but the key phrase was it's being designed around co-op. That's way different than just throwing co-op in. With co-op it will just devolve into a typical boring arcadey action game like L4D[/QUOTE]

I have to admit the trailer was pretty good, but I agree with the above. If this is just another 4-player co-op zombie survival thing, how is it going to be any different from L4D and L4D2? Or Dead Rising? IMHO the whole "everyone's a zombie and we're the only ones left" survival thing has really run its course.

Ruahrc

Pretty interesting trailer, but like the guys above me, I'm a little worn out by all of the zombie games. It feels like zombie games are the new WWII shooter. We've been there, we've done that...a lot. I read that they are trying to add elements to distance itself a bit from Left 4 Dead, but stuff like a strong focus on melee combat and RPG elements are already in Dead Rising.

As far as it being developed by Techland, I'll at least give them Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. I really enjoyed that game.

Man I thought this game was vaporware for a long time.

With co-op it will just devolve into a typical boring arcadey action game like L4D
How so? I get what you mean about co-op taking you out of the experience, that's something I think we're all accustomed to by now (I think I hit that realization when I waltzed into WOW and realized no one there was going to be living through their characters) , but I don't really see how this game could just "devolve into a typical arcade action game." L4D was something of a wave shooter, and Dead Rising a brawler, but the impression the article gives me is that this game is going to be much more about survival than fighting... they specifially mention that there's not going to be gun turrents and all sorts of other convienet weapons all around. It sounds like you won't be able to rush into a crowd and make it out alive by spraying bullets or putting on a moose head, even with a partner.

I've largely avoided the zombie games (except for RDR Undead Nightmare) so I'm not really burned out on them but I can understand the sentiment. Personally I've been rather excited for this game since they announced it a few years ago... back when Oblivion came out all I could think of was how awesome it would be to play a zombie game in an open world

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']It won't, it's being designed around co-op..more specifically 4 players. As I said in the ps3 forum topic, you can't have any form of fear or suspense with bros shouting in your ear or nagging you to just run right into a horde of zombies and mutilate them. Imagine dead space or amnesia with co-op...not so scary or good anymore.

The IGN article said you can play single player, but the key phrase was it's being designed around co-op. That's way different than just throwing co-op in. With co-op it will just devolve into a typical boring arcadey action game like L4D[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you never played L4D on expert with friends. To this day I have a group of friends that still talk about the day we beat Blood Harvest. That shit was so intense that it was an experience none of us will ever forget.

[quote name='Magus8472']I'm feeling a little tired of zombie games, at this point. since two years ago.[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you.

[quote name='jkanownik']I'm guessing you never played L4D on expert with friends. To this day I have a group of friends that still talk about the day we beat Blood Harvest. That shit was so intense that it was an experience none of us will ever forget.[/QUOTE]

No and I have no interest in doing so (nor do I know anyone who has it). If I'm not playing a multi game online like cod or killzone or w/e, I'm playing a SINGLE player game where I can get something of depth.

Frantically blasting zombies with 3 other people is not a deep experience. It's a time waster with your bros, not something that would go down on the most memorable games list. This game could have done something special, toying with you like Dead Space does, but they chose to go down the "appease the ADHD" crowd.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The comparisons to Borderlands and Fallout 3 certainly make it seem like less of a L4D clone.[/QUOTE]
/runs-away at double speed

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']No and I have no interest in doing so (nor do I know anyone who has it). If I'm not playing a multi game online like cod or killzone or w/e, I'm playing a SINGLE player game where I can get something of depth.

Frantically blasting zombies with 3 other people is not a deep experience. It's a time waster with your bros, not something that would go down on the most memorable games list. This game could have done something special, toying with you like Dead Space does, but they chose to go down the "appease the ADHD" crowd.[/QUOTE]

You sound like you have no idea what you are talking about. L4D on expert requires a significant amount of communication, strategy and resource management.

[quote name='jkanownik']You sound like you have no idea what you are talking about. L4D on expert requires a significant amount of communication, strategy and resource management.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. He has no idea what he is talking about. It would be pointless to argue with him.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd have rather had some actual gameplay footage than a bullshot trailer that tells me nothing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... the trailer was pretty cool and actually kinda sad but nothing to get me excited to play the game.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']If I'm not playing a multi game online like cod or killzone or w/e, I'm playing a SINGLE player game where I can get something of depth.

Frantically blasting zombies with 3 other people is not a deep experience. It's a time waster with your bros.[/QUOTE]

I'm a bit confused. Aren't all competative or co-op FPS games kind of time wasters with your bros?

Also, video seems alright but I haven't really played a zombie game that I really enjoyed yet; so I'll probably wait and see what people say when the game comes out.

they chose to go down the "appease the ADHD" crowd.

The trailer is in SLOW MOTION how is that ADHD appeasing?

You don't know what L4D is
You don't know what ADHD is

fail.

[quote name='Lugi']The trailer is in SLOW MOTION how is that ADHD appeasing?

fail.[/QUOTE]

Sorry what was that? I wasn't paying attention because I was playing L4D and doing jumping jacks.

[quote name='icebeast']I'm a bit confused. Aren't all competative or co-op FPS games kind of time wasters with your bros?

Also, video seems alright but I haven't really played a zombie game that I really enjoyed yet; so I'll probably wait and see what people say when the game comes out.[/QUOTE]

Yes and it's why I bought those games...it's why just about everyone does.

I buy every other game to (hopefully) have a meaningful and memorable experience. That means NOT playing with other people to ruin it.

[quote name='Lugi']The trailer is in SLOW MOTION how is that ADHD appeasing?

fail.[/QUOTE]

I do know what ADHD is, it's what you have because you didn't read or didn't understand what you read because you were so eager to hit that reply button and give a snarky comment. The ARTICLE from ign that I talked about said it's being designed around co-op. The meaningless trailer has nothing to do with this.

While it's a great trailer, it gives me nothing about the game. They need to learn how Square Enix does it. Great CG that actually has something to do with the game.

The trailer did what it was suppose to, which was get everyone suddenly interested and talking about the game since I'm seeing even movie news sites showing this now. That and it got us more aware of the game as oppose to a a gameplay video. So it's done it's part.

I don't see why this is so popular. CG isn't great, shaping up to be a 'Left 4 Dead' clone from an inferior developer, and I already saw a zombie girl bite her dad's neck before in 'Dawn of the Dead'.

Yeah, I don't see why everybody is raving about this. It looks alright, but nothing particularly special.

You'd think they haven't made a zombie game in years, the way people are talking about this.

And anybody that says L4D is boring hasn't played L4D on a high enough difficulty.

[quote name='Necrozilla']I don't see why this is so popular. CG isn't great, shaping up to be a 'Left 4 Dead' clone from an inferior developer, and I already saw a zombie girl bite her dad's neck before in 'Dawn of the Dead'.[/QUOTE]

The remake? That was a neighbor.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Yeah, I don't see why everybody is raving about this. It looks alright, but nothing particularly special.

You'd think they haven't made a zombie game in years, the way people are talking about this.

And anybody that says L4D is boring hasn't played L4D on a high enough difficulty.[/QUOTE]

I think the thing people are going nuts over is the trailer itself. I gotta admit, it really is a clever trailer, but I think it might be getting a bit out of control... according to IGN there's already plans for a Dead Island movie, shot memento style.

Dead Island is a first-person game that focuses on melee combat on a zombie-infested island with a heavy emphasis on co-op the oh-so-ubiquitous "RPG elements".

But honestly, you should have stopped reading the above sentence after the "first-person... focuses on melee combat" part. Has a game ever really, truly done that well?

[quote name='The Crotch']
But honestly, you should have stopped reading the above sentence after the "first-person... focuses on melee combat" part. Has a game ever really, truly done that well?[/QUOTE]
Breakdown on the original XBox.

I don't understand the "over zombie games" stuff. In this entire gen there have been like 5 high profile zombie games: Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2 (like four years apart), Left 4 Dead & Left 4 Dead 2, and Resident Evil 5, all of which are completely different games.

[quote name='The Crotch']Dead Island is a first-person game that focuses on melee combat on a zombie-infested island with a heavy emphasis on co-op the oh-so-ubiquitous "RPG elements".

But honestly, you should have stopped reading the above sentence after the "first-person... focuses on melee combat" part. Has a game ever really, truly done that well?[/QUOTE]

I'm out...

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']The Condemned games.[/QUOTE]
Meh, I played the first one because of the post launch drought. I tried the second one and quickly found myself bored.
[quote name='bardockkun']Breakdown on the original XBox.[/QUOTE]
Hated it.
[quote name='The Crotch']Damn. Forgot about Breakdown.

Chronicles of Riddick?[/QUOTE]
Nah.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I don't understand the "over zombie games" stuff. In this entire gen there have been like 5 high profile zombie games: Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2 (like four years apart), Left 4 Dead & Left 4 Dead 2, and Resident Evil 5, all of which are completely different games.[/QUOTE]

A genre is not just defined by its high profile games. They are defined by the entire library of the genre. There have been a ton of zombie games this generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I don't understand the "over zombie games" stuff. In this entire gen there have been like 5 high profile zombie games: Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2 (like four years apart), Left 4 Dead & Left 4 Dead 2, and Resident Evil 5, all of which are completely different games.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Compared to the number of military and sci-fi shooters, zombie games aren't that overdone. Especially because the zombie games we do have tend to be in different genres. And a good zombie game is about more than just killing zombies anyway. Zombie apocalypse is really just a setting, not a genre. The RPG elements could really make this game different from what's already out there.

I'm so sick of hearing about this dumb trailer. It was stupid, shallow, and cheap. The game is probably going to be horrible anyways (Techland).

Hey folks, all ya need is some sappy piano/violin music, some slow-mo, some oh-so-clever-and-original juxtaposition of heartwarming family moments with family tragedy that straight-up tells the audience how to feel, and boom, everyone loses their minds over how "moving" and "emotional" your trailer is!

Also, they've already sold the movie rights to this thing. That does not strike me as a good sign.

[quote name='KingBroly']They need to learn how Square Enix does it. Great CG that actually has something to do with the game.[/QUOTE]
Haha what.

I agree with the people wondering what the big deal was with the trailer. Was it because of the piano? The girl dying? Oh man so....so deep and thought provoking!

First time I watched it I was ammused, but after a little thought and a second viewing I realized I didnt care for it at all. Then I visited a site I go to often because I love the same types of film as they guy who does all the stories and he had a write up on it. He more or less articulated for me what I didnt like about it and I agree with him for the most part.

http://www.cinema-suicide.com/2011/...and-how-not-to-market-your-zombie-video-game/

Only thing I liked about it was they pushed the whole taboo thing of kids being victims. I dont get off on it but I like taboos in gaming to be pushed, because if they are pushed and broken then that widens the field for what can be done in a game. Before that it was male nudity, but thanks to lost and the damned we can have dicks swinging in a game. Much like I dont care for the children being killed I also dont like dicks, but point is those taboos can be done in mainstream gaming and give more room for things previously not allowed to be done.

For instance rape in movies. Was a time rape was a huge taboo and when it was introduced to major film it was clumsy and nothing more than a stunt to get attention. And much like dicks and child murdering, I dont get off on it, but the rape exposure led us to having more diverse and better movies. Like for instance a clockwork orange is a fantastic movie and its rape scene played a major part in the movie, or they call her one eye has rape in it among other terrible things once taboo but that movie turned out to be one, if not the best revenge flick ever. If child death in games becomes less taboo think what impact it might have when like makers of silent hill get their hands on it or quantic dream in their next game.

Thats just a small example really. Dead nation, zombie apocalypse, red dead redemption undead nightmare, land of the dead, call of duty world at war zombie mode, call of duty black ops zombie mode, plants vs zombies, burn zombie burn, fort zombie, the last guy, onechanbara bikini samurai squad, touch of the dead, zombie driver, zombie tycoon, all 3 dead rising games, borderlands zombie island of dr ned, all the resident evils, left 4 dead 1 and 2, teenage zombies, and dozens of others not coming to mind that have come out in recent years.

Then you have all the games that definitely influenced by zombies like dead space.

[quote name='sdclippers']Whats so great about the trailer?[/QUOTE]

It was a pretty skillful homage to Lost and Memento.

I like the zombie games where you take the role of Billy Badass, popping the domes of the walking undead in service of mundane checkpoints, but it's a nice surprise to see a more mature artistic treatment of the subject matter.

I have no doubt that 95% of the folks who get hyped from this trailer will be dissappointed with the final game. A trailer does not a game make.

[quote name='gargus']First time I watched it I was ammused, but after a little thought and a second viewing I realized I didnt care for it at all. Then I visited a site I go to often because I love the same types of film as they guy who does all the stories and he had a write up on it. He more or less articulated for me what I didnt like about it and I agree with him for the most part.

http://www.cinema-suicide.com/2011/...and-how-not-to-market-your-zombie-video-game/

Only thing I liked about it was they pushed the whole taboo thing of kids being victims. I dont get off on it but I like taboos in gaming to be pushed, because if they are pushed and broken then that widens the field for what can be done in a game. Before that it was male nudity, but thanks to lost and the damned we can have dicks swinging in a game. Much like I dont care for the children being killed I also dont like dicks, but point is those taboos can be done in mainstream gaming and give more room for things previously not allowed to be done.

For instance rape in movies. Was a time rape was a huge taboo and when it was introduced to major film it was clumsy and nothing more than a stunt to get attention. And much like dicks and child murdering, I dont get off on it, but the rape exposure led us to having more diverse and better movies. Like for instance a clockwork orange is a fantastic movie and its rape scene played a major part in the movie, or they call her one eye has rape in it among other terrible things once taboo but that movie turned out to be one, if not the best revenge flick ever. If child death in games becomes less taboo think what impact it might have when like makers of silent hill get their hands on it or quantic dream in their next game.[/QUOTE]

Do us all a favor and don't comment on something you know nothing about. Zombie kids are as old as Night of the Living Dead, there's nothing shocking to someone who has seen a zombie film in their life that wasn't "Shaun of the Dead"

I am really surprised at the hate some people are giving this trailer. If this is a bad trailer, then please someone show me a good one. This trailer is more emotionally affecting than most full games (and possibly even more than the full Dead Island game will be). Call the music sappy if you want, but the truth is that it succeeds at setting the tone of the trailer. The pacing is well-done with the slo-mo and such. I wouldn't call the trailer shocking just because it had a little zombie girl. But I would say that the way it portrays a family's final moments as something that no other zombie game (or trailer) has even come close to. My only complaint is that I don't think it needed the scenes of them arriving on vacation. The trailer was already successful without that cliche "happy" bit.

bread's done
Back