Dead Island Riptide Steelbook (GWP) - $5

pyoobez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dead+Is...on+3/6554282.p?id=1218752783221&skuId=6554282

Exclusive presell gift available only with purchase of the Dead Island Riptide video game for Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3

Hmm... I'm guessing this is a bit of a mess up to be placed for pre-order purchase, but I figured I'd share in case anyone wanted to take the gamble on preordering it and getting it. (No release date for Riptide has been set and amazon and BB are both stating 12/31/13 will be its release.)

The gameplay in DI is god awful. Just really, fucking terrible, but it has a semi interesting world to explore.

So basically, do you like Skyrim? If so, have at it. Its just as mind numbingly shallow and obnoxiously easy as Oblivion and Skyrim. If you don't, i'd steer clear. Its a hilariously bad game if gameplay is important to you at all.

It's Borderlands with Zombies and melee weapons. The game is setup basically the exact same way. It's just not as good.

It was filled with glitches and frame rate issues. Act 1 was the highlight of the game. Act 2 was okay. Act 3 was awful. Act 4 was ok but short. The end boss and ending was god awful. Wasted their money on the teaser cinematic.

Whew. I managed to return my Dead Island GOTY ps3 today after explaining the issue. I also explained that I should be a silver member soon because I already spent well over $2500 for the year and that I was awaiting official silver card status. They said they would only allow the refund to be store credit and I happily accepted the gift card.

Me, my fiancee, and two of my friends played Dead Island, issues? Yes, fun? INFINITE! Every game will gain various opinions from different people. Even if a game gets all 10's across the board that doesnt mean every one is going to enjoy it, different strokes for different folks.

Its been one of my favorite MP games of this generation. Its just pure mindless fun, and the patches did to a great extent get rid of a lot of the annoyances. Cant stand when people feel their opinion is the only one that matters.

The game becomes fun in co-op. It has a lot of issues, but there is PLENTY of fun to be had, and lots of cool ideas. I have high hopes for Riptide. This is a situation where they could easily fix the flaws and make a killer Borderlands clone!

[quote name='Zaku77']The game becomes fun in co-op. It has a lot of issues, but there is PLENTY of fun to be had, and lots of cool ideas. I have high hopes for Riptide. This is a situation where they could easily fix the flaws and make a killer Borderlands clone![/QUOTE]
That's the major gripe I have with gaming this gen, in that it seems like most games are copies of copies of clones of clones of popular titles. There are very few standout titles that are must plays this gen.
[quote name='SkiLLs7984']Me, my fiancee, and two of my friends played Dead Island, issues? Yes, fun? INFINITE! Every game will gain various opinions from different people. Even if a game gets all 10's across the board that doesnt mean every one is going to enjoy it, different strokes for different folks.[/quote]
If by infinite fun you mean hack/slash/bludgeon/shoot enemies or use the explosive barrels/items around to blow em up and rinse/repeat till you finish the game, then yep.....infinitely
REPETITIVE
. But people are entitled to their own opinions. I, for one, couldn't wait to be done with the game after having my PS3 lock up as much as it did with this title.
Its been one of my favorite MP games of this generation. Its just pure mindless fun, and the patches did to a great extent get rid of a lot of the annoyances. Cant stand when people feel their opinion is the only one that matters.
I'm not expecting everyone to agree with my opinion, but it would seem that some folks definitely agree with my sentiments on the game. Had they actually fixed the freezing/framerate dropping issues on PS3 then I would likely STILL be playing the game.

But after having at least 10 hard freezes on my PS3 while playing it via co-op and seeing the games' developer had seemingly given up on fixing those issues I mentioned I just could not justify keeping it.

Now single player, on the other hand, was fairly stable and pretty fun. I started out playing the game in that mode, but I figured the game would be far better with another player, as then we could at least watch each others' backs. Boy was I wrong.

[quote name='Zaku77']The game becomes fun in co-op. It has a lot of issues, but there is PLENTY of fun to be had, and lots of cool ideas. I have high hopes for Riptide. This is a situation where they could easily fix the flaws and make a killer Borderlands clone![/QUOTE]

Dead island makes the PS3 freeze which makes you hard reset your PS3 and hard resetting causes the console to break and get the YLOD. This is why I never play any Bethesda games on my PS3 or Grand Theft Auto Complete edition.

[quote name='JahMakinHerbz']Dead island makes the PS3 freeze which makes you hard reset your PS3 and hard resetting causes the console to break and get the YLOD. This is why I never play any Bethesda games on my PS3 or Grand Theft Auto Complete edition.[/QUOTE]
:whistle2:$Don't be saying that shit.:whistle2:# Now I'm kinda worried. Besides Dead Island I used to play a LOT of GTA Complete and I played a couple hours of Skyrim on my PS3 before it got shuffled into the backlog.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:whistle2:$Don't be saying that shit.:whistle2:# Now I'm kinda worried. Besides Dead Island I used to play a LOT of GTA Complete and I played a couple hours of Skyrim on my PS3 before it got shuffled into the backlog.[/QUOTE]

Just rebuild your database and backup saves on occasion and you will probably be fine. Battlefield 3 is what nuked my PS3. Losing dragon age 1 and 2 saves, GT5(.Slicense, tons of cars. And millions.of credits...gone).

Whenever something goes from a cool and unique game into a genre there will be 'clones'. Borderlands was a unique combination of elements into a new package. If that's going to take off as a genre at all, there will need to be 'clones' for that to happen. I don't want it over saturated, but a few more games of that ilk would be fine with me.

[quote name='6er']Just rebuild your database and backup saves on occasion and you will probably be fine. Battlefield 3 is what nuked my PS3. Losing dragon age 1 and 2 saves, GT5(.Slicense, tons of cars. And millions.of credits...gone).[/QUOTE]

what do mean by nuked?

[quote name='6er']Just rebuild your database and backup saves on occasion and you will probably be fine. Battlefield 3 is what nuked my PS3. Losing dragon age 1 and 2 saves, GT5(.Slicense, tons of cars. And millions.of credits...gone).[/QUOTE]
You know. That's the funny thing. I was rebuilding the database every so often after the hard freezes from GTA and/or Dead Island. But I haven't done it recently. I've been playing a lot of BF1943 lately and that game and GTA seem to cause big blocks of pixels to go black for a second on my tv screen.

It's only momentary, but it's been doing that on this PS3 and did it on a prior PS3 as well. I kinda wonder if it's the HDMI port going kablooie on me though, since I tried switching HDMI cables and it still does it.:whistle2:#

I enjoyed Dead Island, I really did. But the one thing that drove me absolutely bonkers was that leveling was actually like a punishment, since the enemies leveled too. Even though I could level my abilities it didn't seem to help much.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']yes, because franchises cant bring out a game a year after one has come out. Sports games? Assassin's Creed? Dance Central?[/QUOTE]

How about ____ Hero? I swear there were two to three of those a year. Hell, at one point they packed one in free with another at launch (GH: Van Halen and Guitar Hero 5)

Enjoy the rolling authorization on your card, since it's Best Buy. They'll auth your card when you order it and keep authorizing it periodically to make sure the money's still in there.

[quote name='shrike4242']Enjoy the rolling authorization on your card, since it's Best Buy. They'll auth your card when you order it and keep authorizing it periodically to make sure the money's still in there.[/QUOTE]
I know its annoying but if someone cant handle a $5 charge on their card, they need to prioritize and have more pressing needs.

[quote name='wrencrest']I know its annoying but if someone cant handle a $5 charge on their card, they need to prioritize and have more pressing needs.[/QUOTE]It has nothing to do with the amount, it's just informing people that they'll keep seeing this authorization keep hitting their card until it's released and shipped.

Though, I do agree, no one should have an issue with a rolling $5 auth on their card.

Had a ton of fun with Dead Island. Buddy and I spent two weekends in co-op with it. Definitely excited for this one.

Dead Island was awesome! But, as already mentioned, it had it's flaws too and quite a bit of them. Good thing is it's getting a sequel, bad thing is I'm not sure if it's long enough away from the original to have actually pretty much rebuilt the game like they needed to.

[quote name='ApathyAndFlow']I enjoyed Dead Island, I really did. But the one thing that drove me absolutely bonkers was that leveling was actually like a punishment, since the enemies leveled too. Even though I could level my abilities it didn't seem to help much.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Besides the framerate and freezing issues, I hated that the enemies leveled up to my level at the same time. Albeit once you learned how to aim your strikes then you should've had less of a problem annihilating them in short order. But aiming strikes just wasn't possible when you had 5-10 enemies following you, including at least one tank enemy.

I was able to get these in store today for $5 each

55pjlz.jpg

If they're available in-store then I'll stop by on Monday and pre-order/cancel for the steelbook. I don't give a crap about the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DanteWarrior']I was able to get these in store today for $5 each

55pjlz.jpg
[/QUOTE]

did you need to preorder the actual game to get it?

[quote name='DanteWarrior']Yes[/QUOTE]

thanks for your quick reply, that is what i thought too. you saved me a trip to bestbuy

So it looks like it will essentially be an expansion pack for $50.

"You can think of it as an expansion pack if you like -- it's the same loudmouth characters, your saved game skills carry over wholesale, and it picks up the moment after Dead Island's ending. This is definitely a game for Dead Island fans, and the new setting, as well as the interactions you have with the world because of it, is the real draw."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/31/dead-island-riptide-takes-a-cue-from-call-of-duty

[quote name='YBX87']thanks for your quick reply, that is what i thought too. you saved me a trip to bestbuy[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you can just pre-order it for $5 bucks, get the book, and then never pick up the pre-order.

[quote name='cancerman1120']So it looks like it will essentially be an expansion pack for $50.

"You can think of it as an expansion pack if you like -- it's the same loudmouth characters, your saved game skills carry over wholesale, and it picks up the moment after Dead Island's ending. This is definitely a game for Dead Island fans, and the new setting, as well as the interactions you have with the world because of it, is the real draw."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/31/dead-island-riptide-takes-a-cue-from-call-of-duty[/QUOTE]

I was actually gonna post this article. Im kinda having second thoughts on this now once Ive read this. Ill check out reviews first and if its not at my standard then ill await a sub $25 price tag.

That article did the opposite, I'm hype even more. I get to use my same character and it takes place after the game so it's canon with the series. And assuming the game scales to my level, enemies will be just as strong.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I'm pretty sure you can just pre-order it for $5 bucks, get the book, and then never pick up the pre-order.[/QUOTE]

You can do thay. That's what I did for AC3. And since my backlog is so big, I just wait until I can get a "disc only" auction from eBay or win it from Amazon for cheap :D

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but Amazon seems to have this steelbook included with their pre-orders as well:

Dead Island Riptide Amazon

Free Steelbook Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order Dead Island Riptide and get a free Limited Edition Steelbook. The Steelbook will be available in the product packaging. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Limited to one per customer.

[quote name='NocturneManiac']Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but Amazon seems to have this steelbook included with their pre-orders as well:

Dead Island Riptide Amazon

Free Steelbook Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order Dead Island Riptide and get a free Limited Edition Steelbook. The Steelbook will be available in the product packaging. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Limited to one per customer.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, that saves me from having to drive to best buy and put up with them. Thanks!

[quote name='PublikDefender']Will amazon immediately ship these or will they wait until the game release date?[/QUOTE]

They will wait just like they are doing with Medal of Honor Warfighter.

[quote name='PublikDefender']Will amazon immediately ship these or will they wait until the game release date?[/QUOTE]

I understand that sometimes looking back through pages of a thread to find an answer is annoying, but your question was answered in BOTH OF THE POSTS IMMEDIATELY BEFORE YOURS:

The Steelbook will be available in the product packaging

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']I give up you're opinion is based off of watching gameplay and reading other opinions. I will not even mock you it is pointless... enjoy watching and reading other people's opinions and missing out on some gems.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

The one thing that bothered me is how there is no text on the spine whatsoever. Just looks weird and how hard would it have been to put the damn name of the game on the side?

I really don't like that there's no text on the spine. I have a crap load of game steelbooks, and I think this will be my only one without the name on the spine. Do they let you get more than one? I want to pick a few up a couple to save some people a trip, but I'm not sure if they'll let me have more than one.

Mine is still in the mail on its way to me, so I've not seen that in person yet. That has a slipcase, though. Doesn't the slip have the name on it?

bread's done
Back