Dead PS3 and Repair Time

[quote name='MadFlava']So I bought COD 4 for my PS3 but haven't played it yet. Should I be concerned that it will brick my 60GB?[/QUOTE]Just a few have assumed that early on (it seemed to be something with the network), but it's solved now. I was concerned too originally, but now I'm okay.

I recently sent my PS3 in to Sony. I got a disc stuck in the console, I had a 80g system but they told me that I may get back a 60g which is perfectly fine with me!

as far as the aerosmith song goes you may be able to download on your computer on the PC version of the playstation store... maybe...

Yeah, I thought of that and checked there first thing, but I saw nothing. It's too late anyway, it ended Monday.

Just got my shipping box today. Why the fuck do they want my Sixaxis? I'd better not get someone else's that's either a) all grimy or b) has a dead battery!

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Yeah, I thought of that and checked there first thing, but I saw nothing. It's too late anyway, it ended Monday.

Just got my shipping box today. Why the fuck do they want my Sixaxis? I'd better not get someone else's that's either a) all grimy or b) has a dead battery![/QUOTE]

I'm not in the same boat as you or anything but I had my 40 gig die (Well not totally die for some reason it reads dvds, blu-ray MOVIES, and plays games that I downloaded off of PSN Just fine it just won't read the games. Anyway they told me they were sending me a brand new ps3 so that could be why I have no clue if they lied to me or what but they were really nice and everything.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Just got my shipping box today. Why the fuck do they want my Sixaxis? I'd better not get someone else's that's either a) all grimy or b) has a dead battery![/quote]

Wow, wanting your controller is really messed up.

OK, so I got my PS3 back. I dropped it off to Purolator on Saturday Feb. 23, and it came back today! That's 10 days total, pretty fast I'd say.

It's not my original system, but it looks brand new. It even had that clingy plastic covering all over it. In fact, the system looks untouched... kind of eerie.
I checked the manufacture date and this system is Oct. 2006, whereas my old system was Jan. 2007, so this must have been a launch system.

One problem, the system wouldn't start when I plugged everything in. I kept touching the power button, no green light. I replugged everything about 5 times and still nothing. Then I squeezed the power panel where the button is, heard a plastic pop, and the system started. I guess the panel was not snapped together properly, but everything seems fine now so no complaints.

I would rate this experience as pretty good! Not bad, Sony.

I purchased a 60GB PS3 on January 25th of this year. It was one of the last ones out in the wild and I wanted to ensure I obtained one with true backwards compatibility before they all disappeared. It took me a few weeks, but I went out a picked up Resistance when Target had it on sale for $39 a few weeks back. I played through Resistance, downloaded and played through the demo for Uncharted as well as the demo MLB The Show. My total play time equated to approximately 10 hours of use. Today I decided to go out to the PlayStation store to download the free Dropkick Murphy tracks for Guitar Hero III which I had intended to purchase at some point in the future. I was informed I needed to update my system so I went ahead and began the download. My PS3 is connected wirelessly to my network and the downloads take a while. As a result, I left the room and returned about 10 minutes later to find the PS3 turned off and the four lights on the controller flashing. I thought after the update perhaps the system turned itself off. I attempted to turn the console on from the controller.... nothing happened. I then touched the power button, heard a loud thud from inside the console, and then there was nothing... the end. No more glowing red light on the front of the console, only four flashing lights on the controller. Hitting the power button on the back of the console does nothing. I thought perhaps the machine overheated and returned about 1/2 hour later and still nothing. It simply died. I swear to fucking God I have the worst luck with Sony products. A year and a half with my 360 and still no issues. Less than three months with a PS3 and now I have a $500 brick. Time see how good Sony's customer support is now.... 15 minutes on hold thus far. I wonder if the person who finally answers the phone will have any grasp of the English language whatsoever.

I hear Sony actually has very good customer service with the PS3. The chances of getting a dead PS3 with the old 60GB consoles does increase, because many of them were made back in March 2006 and could have been damaged at retailers over time (such as some employees not being careful and dropping them, getting moved around over and over again, and so on).

They'll just ship you another 60GB, so don't worry about getting another SKU.

How exactly do you have a $500 brick? You have a warranty on the PS3. Sony has a very good warranty process. Call them up and send it in.

Doesn't Sony recommend that you do firmware updates on a wired connection?

[quote name='mtxbass1']How exactly do you have a $500 brick? You have a warranty on the PS3. Sony has a very good warranty process. Call them up and send it in.

Doesn't Sony recommend that you do firmware updates on a wired connection?[/QUOTE]Naw, they never do recommend you use a wired connection I think (although I could be wrong). They use to have us plug the controllers in the USB to avoid the battery dying while upgrading firmware (but people complained so they removed it).

Yeah, his PS3 is still in warranty and the process takes two weeks I hear. PSU did a poll seeing who had a PS3 die.

85.2% never had one die.
3.3% don't own a PS3
7.9% = 60GB (The most SKUs are 60GB)
0.14% = 20GB (The least SKUs are 20GB)
1.29% = 80GB (The third most SKUs are 80GB)
2.16% = 40GB (The 2nd most SKU made, due to Europe never getting 80GB and 60GB is gone)

I managed to speak to someone whose first language was English. Sad to say, but nowadays that is impressive. He had me jump through some of the more asinine trouble shooting techniques such as is it plugged in, but since there was no power to the console I guess there wasn't much else he could ask me to try other than switching out the power cable. They are sending me the shipping materials so I can send it in for a replacement unit. I'm still disappointed with the failure of the machine this early in its life, but good customer service goes a long way. So far so good.

Sony's customer service is excellent. My the blu-ray drive on my ps3 died (stopped reading all discs) and I had it sent in and repaired in less than 2 weeks. From when i got the box, it was around a week.

Same exact thing happened to me last week with my 60GB. As far as I can tell, the PSU shit the bed. This is one situation where I can think of an external power supply being a positive thing.

Say goodbye to your save files, unless you backed them up recently. They will not send your console back; you will get a refurbished unit. The dude on the phone tried to tell me it would take way longer to get my unit back if I wanted it fixed, and when I said I could wait months if necessary, he said they don't do that. Needless to say I was pissed. Frankly, for dropping $500 on a piece of hardware, they should have a way to transfer your shit to the refurbished unit. Lesson learned, I guess. When I get it back I'm buying a cheap Memory Stick to keep in the card reader and back up my saves occasionally.

Anyway, I called Thursday or Friday morning. Box got here yesterday, and I mailed it out the same day. The prepaid label will be for Next Day Air. My console was delivered in Laredo, TX, this morning at 10 AM.

So far, the customer service experience has been good, but I'll let you know if anything goes awry.

To let everyone know, it is highly recommended you backup your PS3 using an external HDD every once in a while. There's a system backup utility and as long as you back everything up, everything will copy back to a new PS3 and/or HDD.

Their service is fine, just make sure you have the receipt, otherwise they make you pay $150.

My total time was a little under two weeks. Would've been a few days quicker but they cheap out on the shipping when they send the box, and your console to you (when you return the console, its overnight, but they ship the coffin & your console 3 day)

I had the exact same problem recently (bricked PSU on a 60gb) - it took about 2 weeks to get it back, no problems so far. Sony customer support is pretty good, but yes, your HD will get blanked out.

Hey, my 40 gb PS3 stopped reading any disc, game and blu ray. I had to send it in and it should come in 2 weeks. Sucks big time!

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']TMK,

Will the system backup utility allow you to copy everything back over to a different system?[/QUOTE]Yes. Even some protected game saves which I could not copy over manually (like Tekken 5: DR Online and High Velocity Bowling), all transferred over when I did the HDD swap.

If you have the free space and a sata port you can make an image of the drive and then write it back to the drive on the unit you get back.

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']I had the exact same problem recently (bricked PSU on a 60gb) - it took about 2 weeks to get it back, no problems so far. Sony customer support is pretty good, but yes, your HD will get blanked out.[/quote]

Good to know they still have 60GB's. I'm waiting for my coffin to be delivered...called it in on Friday 3/21 so I'm guessing sometime this week.

I got my PS3 back last Friday. Took two weeks and one day from the time I called to the time I got it back. Sent in a 60GB and got a 60GB back. Also had a Blu-ray movie stuck in the drive, which was in a sleeve next to the system when I got the PS3 back. My PSU totally shit the bed, for those that are wondering what my initial problem was.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna'] My PSU totally shit the bed, for those that are wondering what my initial problem was.[/quote]

I knew Playstation Underground sucked, but thats a pretty nasty side effect.

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']I got my PS3 back last Friday. Took two weeks and one day from the time I called to the time I got it back. Sent in a 60GB and got a 60GB back. Also had a Blu-ray movie stuck in the drive, which was in a sleeve next to the system when I got the PS3 back. My PSU totally shit the bed, for those that are wondering what my initial problem was.[/QUOTE]

That's really cool they stuck the disc in a sleeve and gave it back like that! (Although it would be better still if you could force eject it somehow).

It's cool that Sony's customer service has gotten so much better now. I can remember working for GameTrader back when the PS2 was still shiny and new and the blue disc readers were breaking all the Sony CC horror stories. I can still remember customers coming in and telling me they called Sony, and Sony said they were probably sitting too far away from their PS2, and that's why the blue disc reader would break...good times.

[quote name='SeanNOLA']It's cool that Sony's customer service has gotten so much better now. I can remember working for GameTrader back when the PS2 was still shiny and new and the blue disc readers were breaking all the Sony CC horror stories. I can still remember customers coming in and telling me they called Sony, and Sony said they were probably sitting too far away from their PS2, and that's why the blue disc reader would break...good times.[/quote]
:whistle2:s
My sarcasm detector is broken (don't worry, it was still under warranty, I should have it back in a week or two). Did Sony really say that?

my ps3 just bit it.. .(doesn't power on)...

so... my options.. should i send it sony or get a new one ?

its off warrenty.. so i don't know how much it would cost to repair at sony ?

am i out of luck.. or should i just get a new one.

Are you sure it's the ps3 and not the power brick? I've had a couple of power bricks die on me in the past, albeit for my laptop, not a console...You should call sony and ask for an estimate. There have been ludicrous prices for repairs on older systems before where the repair would cost more than a new console!

[quote name='darkcecil32']Are you sure it's the ps3 and not the power brick? I've had a couple of power bricks die on me in the past, albeit for my laptop, not a console...You should call sony and ask for an estimate. There have been ludicrous prices for repairs on older systems before where the repair would cost more than a new console![/quote]
PS3's power brick is internal.

First try the obvious, pop in a different power cord and see if that could be the problem. It's always worth a shot to try the simpliest things :)

I think the best way to decide is to ask yourself these questions.
Does my current unit have full BC, and if so do I still want full BC? (Good luck finding a new 20/60 gig)
Does my current unit have software BC, and if so do I still want software BC, and if yes, can I find a new 80, if not, am I willing to wait until MGS4 comes out to get a new one (Holy run on sentence Batman!!) ? (80 are getting pretty hard to find and there won't be new stock until the MGS4 bundle comes out)
Will I be happy with a refurbished unit?

[quote name='pimpinc333']First try the obvious, pop in a different power cord and see if that could be the problem. It's always worth a shot to try the simpliest things :)[/quote]Unless the dog chewed on it or he had the cord smashed against the wall behind some furniture and it got a short in it, there is no way it is the cord. The cord won't just randomly stop working. The power supply is in the console, as already stated.

The question is, do you take good care of your machine? If you do and it is a 60GB, get it fixed for sure. Besides, that will be the cheapest way anyhow. So it may be your best bet no matter what.

But again, the question remains, do you take good care of your PS3? I have heard of fewer PS3 problems than even the Wii. It is the complete opposite of the 360 (or even the PS2) in terms of stability. I mean, do you not have it plugged into a surge protector? That is the only thing I can think of that might kill a PS3, short of not giving it a cool enough environment.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Unless the dog chewed on it or he had the cord smashed against the wall behind some furniture and it got a short in it, there is no way it is the cord. The cord won't just randomly stop working. The power supply is in the console, as already stated.[/QUOTE]

.....Your basically saying its not even worth his 5 mintues to double check the power cord? You'd rather toss away 150.00 then check the obvious first?

I fix a lot of electronic equipment and my god if people would just check out the obvious problem they could save themselves a ton of monies :D

I went through the basic troubleshooting...(used different power cord)...What suprises me is that the ps3 went before the xbox !!!??? I really have no idea...just unlucky I guess. I'm guessing its a faulty power supply...since it doesn't power on.

I'll call sony and see what they quote it at... (anybody know how true to the quote they stay?)

[quote name='pimpinc333'].....Your basically saying its not even worth his 5 mintues to double check the power cord? You'd rather toss away 150.00 then check the obvious first?

I fix a lot of electronic equipment and my god if people would just check out the obvious problem they could save themselves a ton of monies :D[/quote]

I fix a lot of electronics myself, and I agree that there'd have to be pretty extenuating circumstances to warrant the cord itself being the problem (not to mention it'd look obvious).

Feel more than free to check it. While you're at it, make sure the switch on the back is flipped to "I" and not "O". Also, have you tried a different power outlet?

[quote name='rajchakrabarti']I went through the basic troubleshooting...(used different power cord)...What suprises me is that the ps3 went before the xbox !!!??? I really have no idea...just unlucky I guess. I'm guessing its a faulty power supply...since it doesn't power on.

I'll call sony and see what they quote it at... (anybody know how true to the quote they stay?)[/quote]

Generally you'll get a flashing yellow light for a PS3 failure, so if there's no power at all it's almost certainly something in the PSU. The bright side is this may be as easy as getting someone with a broken unit to simply sell you the PSU; the down side is that you *may* need to find one from a PS3 of the same model.

I can't stress enough that you should make sure your replacement unit comes from the same region as your unit as well. Replacing an NTSC PSU with a PAL PSU could be just what you need to fry the rest of the PS3, as the jump from 110V to 230V is quite damaging to electronics.

I have an idea: Why not make a bitchy post about how you hate Sony now and you're jumping ship to the 360?

j/k ... not really

$149 + state taxes
3-4 weeks turn around unless you live in TX
90 day warranty from day you get it

i've notice 60gb more likely to power probs and temp issues
while 40gb and 80gb get the most media loading probs (games cant be read)

If your 60gb PS3 dies and you send it in to Sony to have it fixed, do they send back another 60gb system?

[quote name='Apossum']If your 60gb PS3 dies and you send it in to Sony to have it fixed, do they send back another 60gb system?[/quote]

yes you do... in the foreseeable future though, i think they will replace it with an 80GB, but for now you do get a 60GB refurbished in return.

[quote name='iHack']yes you do... in the foreseeable future though, i think they will replace it with an 80GB, but for now you do get a 60GB refurbished in return.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Thanks for the answer :)

I wonder if Sony will re-release true backwards compatibility toward the end of the ps3's life line when development costs should hopefully be relatively low compared to what they are now...I think it was pretty cheap they took it out completely for the 40 gig...software emulation can't be that costly, can it? What's going to suck is when they run out of the refurbed 60 gigs and start giving 80's back in exchange. I rue the day that happens.

I'm glad I bought my 60 when I did, but I really feel as if sony forced my hand (i know, i know, i didn't have to buy it etc) with the bc...i sold my ps2 years ago and was under the impression of what sony claimed that ps3 bc would be just as good as ps2 bc was. I guess that only held partially true. All I know is that I am praying my current unit holds out. (it makes some strange noises on a couple ps2 games I have when the disks are immaculate...the laser just sounds loud as all hell).

[quote name='mguiddy']:whistle2:s
My sarcasm detector is broken (don't worry, it was still under warranty, I should have it back in a week or two). Did Sony really say that?[/quote]

yea, they really did. For a while they blamed a lot of problems on "strain on the controller wire"

That being said, you really CAN fry a PS2 if you keep pulling the cord out while it's turned on (same goes for an N64, PSX and GameCube) but they aren't THAT sensative.

Is this normal for a 60GB repair status:

Status Date: Wednesday, April 02, 2008
Status: Due to high demand, your unit is currently on backorder. The quoted turn-around-time for product exchange through our PlayStation(R) Exchange Center (PEC) is approximately 7-15 business days from the time we receive your unit, not including shipping and handling time. Due to the current backlog the turn-around-time may exceed the quoted 7-15 business days. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.
Unit was received on Monday 3/31

My 60 PS3 just died. The blu-ray laser just doesn't read any discs so I'll give them a call tomorrow and send it in.

Happened out of the blue too, I just finished watching one of my DVDs and I borrowed my Sister's I Am Legend she had on Blu-ray and figured I would watch it despite my friend's opinions of it and my PS3 just stopped working. I guess my PS3 sided with my friends.

[quote name='darkcecil32']I wonder if Sony will re-release true backwards compatibility toward the end of the ps3's life line when development costs should hopefully be relatively low compared to what they are now...I think it was pretty cheap they took it out completely for the 40 gig...software emulation can't be that costly, can it? What's going to suck is when they run out of the refurbed 60 gigs and start giving 80's back in exchange. I rue the day that happens.[/QUOTE]Well, they reason there's no PS2 BC in the 40GB is because there is no EE (PS2 CPU) and no GS (PS2 Graphics chip). The 80GB PS3 only removes the EE, but still needs the GS. The reason Sony released the 40GB is because many complained about the high PS3 pricetag and wanted a console around the same price range as the 360. Some think blu-ray is the reason PS3 is expensive, but that's a huge myth (It actually costs Sony very little to add it). Removing card readers, decreasing the HDD, and removing two USB ports don't exactly add up to $100 (more like $50 less at the most), so the only other feature of the PS3 that could easily go was PS2 components (because they roughly costs around $40-$50 without the EE). Now, the original 20GB/60GB models were WAY too costly to make (Sony only released them at launch because the software emulated EE was not ready at launch) and were to blame for Sony's massive loses early on (A PS3 would sold lose them $240-$300). Those two SKUs will never come back, regardless. It's like the cost of PS2 components isn't exactly dropping much in the near future, and when you continue including the full PS2 hardware BC, that keeps PS3 further away from the competition's price point. The ONLY possible way right now for Sony to have full hardware BC is for them to sell a console for $550-$600, but people before showed their anger towards that price point, so it isn't coming back. Along with the 40GB doing pretty well right now (and the 80GB did fine), we definitely won't see them again.

In the U.S., the ONLY way Sony will run out of 60GB consoles as replacements is if there is a mass breakage AND everyones PS3 console is impossible to fix (all they do is repair a console and put it in the refurbished pile, most PS3 problems can be fixed). Also, the 80GB will indeed continue to get better (and it's PS2 compatability is still pretty high), so even if people get it back in the future, it will still probably play most all their PS2 games (and people keep forgetting the 20GB/60GB BC isn't perfect either since there are games that have many issues with it).

I will say, there is a good chance PS2 software emulation will come to the 40GB towards the end of the PS3 main lifecycle; however, at the moment it's not technically possible to work with the Cell/RSX in getting near perfect PS2 BC (achieving near 100% PS2 BC, more like 10% at the moment with the PS2 emulators out. The PS2 hardware is very complicated to emulate and only the most powerful PCs can somewhat handle it). Eventually it will happen, just not right now (Sony has hired people to work on PS2 emulation within Japan). Once there is full PS2 emulation (not needing both the GS and EE), it will cost Sony $0 to add it (The reason the 40GB plays PS1 games is because it costs $0 to implement).

Well my PS3 just broke. Got done watching the Last Samurai on blu-ray and bam. Disk freezes at the end and it no longer reads any disks. I really thought sony fixed this problem when the ps3 was released. This is so freaking sad. I had three PS2s break during their lifetime. Very, very dissapointed. Now, add this to the three xboxs that have broken and I am starting to hate video games.

bread's done
Back