Dead PS3 and Repair Time

Well my PS3 just broke. Got done watching the Last Samurai on blu-ray and bam. Disk freezes at the end and it no longer reads any disks. I really thought sony fixed this problem when the ps3 was released. This is so freaking sad. I had three PS2s break during their lifetime. Very, very dissapointed. Now, add this to the three xboxs that have broken and I am starting to hate video games.

As previously mentioned I had my 60GB PS3 for 7 weeks with approximately 10 hours of game play before it died. I notified Sony of the issue on the 13th of March, the day the console died, and received the replacement console on April 1st... approximately 2 1/2 weeks later. Not too bad, but could have been better since Sony didn't repair the console, but replaced it with a refurbished unit as other CAGs had warned. This is where the entire process really annoys me - I purchased a brand new console to have it replaced with a refurbished unit just 7 weeks later. The console I sent Sony had about 10 hours of use, the one I received has X number of hours, where X is likely to be far greater than 10. This on top of the fact I could have simply purchased a refurbished console and saved $100 up front. My preference would have been to have my console repaired rather than receive another person's repaired console... even if it would have taken a little longer.

[quote name='darkcecil32']I wonder if Sony will re-release true backwards compatibility toward the end of the ps3's life line when development costs should hopefully be relatively low compared to what they are now...I think it was pretty cheap they took it out completely for the 40 gig...software emulation can't be that costly, can it? What's going to suck is when they run out of the refurbed 60 gigs and start giving 80's back in exchange. I rue the day that happens.

I'm glad I bought my 60 when I did, but I really feel as if sony forced my hand (i know, i know, i didn't have to buy it etc) with the bc...i sold my ps2 years ago and was under the impression of what sony claimed that ps3 bc would be just as good as ps2 bc was. I guess that only held partially true. All I know is that I am praying my current unit holds out. (it makes some strange noises on a couple ps2 games I have when the disks are immaculate...the laser just sounds loud as all hell).[/quote]

Strangely, my PS3 has no problems with blu-rays, or PS3 games, but you pop in a certain ps2 game (like MSG2 that i recently got) and when the system starts up, there's a loud whirring noise which is very noticeable since the ps3 is usually whisper quiet. After you start up the game however, it goes back to whisper quiet. its been worrying me for awhile but funny how you have a similar problem.

As previously mentioned I had my 60GB PS3 for 7 weeks with approximately 10 hours of game play before it died. I notified Sony of the issue on the 13th of March, the day the console died, and received the replacement console on April 1st... approximately 2 1/2 weeks later. Not too bad, but could have been better since Sony didn't repair the console, but replaced it with a refurbished unit as other CAGs had warned. This is where the entire process really annoys me - I purchased a brand new console to have it replaced with a refurbished unit just 7 weeks later. The console I sent Sony had about 10 hours of use, the one I received has X number of hours, where X is likely to be far greater than 10. This on top of the fact I could have simply purchased a refurbished console and saved $100 up front. My preference would have been to have my console repaired rather than receive another person's repaired console... even if it would have taken a little longer.

[quote name='darkcecil32']I wonder if Sony will re-release true backwards compatibility toward the end of the ps3's life line when development costs should hopefully be relatively low compared to what they are now...I think it was pretty cheap they took it out completely for the 40 gig...software emulation can't be that costly, can it? What's going to suck is when they run out of the refurbed 60 gigs and start giving 80's back in exchange. I rue the day that happens.

I'm glad I bought my 60 when I did, but I really feel as if sony forced my hand (i know, i know, i didn't have to buy it etc) with the bc...i sold my ps2 years ago and was under the impression of what sony claimed that ps3 bc would be just as good as ps2 bc was. I guess that only held partially true. All I know is that I am praying my current unit holds out. (it makes some strange noises on a couple ps2 games I have when the disks are immaculate...the laser just sounds loud as all hell).[/quote]

Strangely, my PS3 has no problems with blu-rays, or PS3 games, but you pop in a certain ps2 game (like MSG2 that i recently got) and when the system starts up, there's a loud whirring noise which is very noticeable since the ps3 is usually whisper quiet. After you start up the game however, it goes back to whisper quiet. its been worrying me for awhile but funny how you have a similar problem.

Will be sending out my PS3 on the 12th. Dealing with Sony was easy, but UPS was dragging their feet on bringing me my coffin. They rescheduled my delivery from the initial 3 day to a week. I was watching the tracking of the coffin and it sat in TX in their distribution center for 5 days before leaving...

I'll post again here once I get it back from Sony.

trying to make long story short

my friends ps3 wouldn't read discs so we call sony they shipped the box and when we were stuffing in the ps3 he realizes that he lost the receipt now hes freaking out

should he ship it without receipt?

would sony care?

or just call sony?

anyone else have this problem?

Personally I don't know if sony would care or not. But if your friend bought it by card say..best buy, they can print one out for you. It's also possible he's ok since he already talked to someone. Do you remember if sony said they needed a receipt?

i'd say that he needs the receipt, i assume that they want to receipt to confirm that it's still under warranty. just go to wherever he bought it and see if they can get him another receipt, otherwise he might be SOL.

Okay I just received my replacement from Sony it took 16 actual days after receiving my coffin and sending it in on the 11th.

From the looks of it thus far my replacement for my 60 gig unit seems to be in excellent shape which was my primary concern. At any rate I'm happy to have it back again, and now I start the arduous journey of redownloading all my content.

i sent playstaton 3 (80gb) back on April 25. The system kept shuttng down after 5- 20 minutes of playing time. Sony has recieved it on April 28. I'D check status on ps3 and it said On backorder ,plus could take more 15 business days to return too me. I MISS THE GTA IV launch, THAT'S SUX. SO how i wonder long it will be. Anyone on backorder here.

It seems like the BC on my 60GB PS3 is broken. I was playing Skygunner and the game froze so I exited by using the PS button and restarting the game. After the restart all that came up was the Playstation 2 logo and then a black screen. I power cycled the PS3 and put in Tekken 5, it froze after a min or so of gameplay. I tried ZOE2 and it froze on the FMV intro. I restored my PS3 to the FW version it shipped with and I still have the problem. I tried resetting the BC settings to Normal and Smoothing Off and the problem still happens. PS3 games work fine.

So am I screwed? Is there some secret I don't know about that will get this working again? Should I be afraid to send it back to Sony?

My PS3's optical drive just died on me yesterday. :/ Was playing DMC4 and in the middle of a boss fight it froze. I ejected the disc, went back to the main menu, and found that my PS3 wouldn't read it. Nor will it read any of my PS3, Blu Rays, or DVDs. :/ Thing that sucks is I can't find my receipt, so I have to wait a week for Best Buy to mail me that before I can get Sony to send me a box to repair/replace my PS3 for free. :/ I have the 40GB. Kind of glad since I at least have my PS2 to play while waiting, but damn I'm going to miss my Blu-ray and DVD playback so much.

my system might have just died? when i start it up it seems normal and freezes before you can log in. the wavy backround still moves. it says to push ps button, but i push it and it still does nothing (controller comes on tho). could it just be the harddrive? is it possible i can just do some sort of quick restore or do i need to call sony?

no, it came with the system. i have the 60gb one. is there any way to reformat/restore the HDD without
getting to the XMB (cant even get there).

There's no way for the PS3 to do it if it won't reach those screens. My guess is it's unrelated to the hard drive, as all that stuff is stored in firmware, not the hard drive, AFAIK. There could be something wrong with the drive, and the system is getting confused and won't boot right, but more likely I'd guess it's some other hardware issue, since I think the system should boot even with an unformated drive in it.

i was thinking firmware to. i upgraded the firware to 2.41. nothing wrong for awhile (before it started messing up), then it would half ass work (everything worked fine until i hooked up the internet), then now it just does that even tho i dont put in the internet.

edit: I'm going to post a video in a sec.

OK heres a video (still processing as i posted this). this is where it stops whether i push the PS button or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK_SvuY9IQc

Last edited by a moderator:
well thanks for your input but i decied to go nuts with it. i was pretty sure it was the HDD. i had a 160gb HDD external one that i was going to put in the ps3 but i stripped a screw tryin to get the ps3s out! so i go and buy a power drill and a screw extracter. i go home and go to work on that stripped screw. finally got it out and swapped the HDDs. put all but that one screw back on and stuck it in. fired the system up and saw the log in screen. i backed my shit up before on another external HDD i had. so as of now im copying everything back over, so far so good. hope the problems fixed.

Ugh. I just called Sony and it looks like they are sending me a coffin. I've been having problems with my 6axis and dualshock3 controllers and remotes disconnecting randomly. It's gotta be something with bluetooth though because when it happens I have to restart PS3 for it to synch up again. But surprisingly the Jabra headset works fine. I'm wondering if I should just take it back to Costco and swap or just wait until Sony sends me a coffin?

If I swap out will I have problem with my profile and save games gamesharing stuff? also how big of a USB thumbdrive do I need to back up? I need to go buy one.

Thanks

I would just bring it back to Costco, for profiles and game downloads and shares, you'll need to recreate the profiles on the new system and go the PSN store and click the downloads button and redownload all the games again.

[quote name='Sinistar']If I swap out will I have problem with my profile and save games gamesharing stuff? also how big of a USB thumbdrive do I need to back up? I need to go buy one.

Thanks[/quote]

If you replace it at costco or send it back in, and you are gamesharing with others then before you do that make sure you go into those gameshare account and 'deactive' your accounts (it's under account management). This ineffect takes you off the gameshare accounts. Then when you get your new machine you can go back to those accounts and it won't cost an extra share!

[quote name='StrandedBrit']If you replace it at costco or send it back in, and you are gamesharing with others then before you do that make sure you go into those gameshare account and 'deactive' your accounts (it's under account management). This ineffect takes you off the gameshare accounts. Then when you get your new machine you can go back to those accounts and it won't cost an extra share![/quote]

I'm only sharing with one co-worker, so I'll have to deactivate my main account then.. Thanks I didn't know.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Before some send their console out, here's instructions on how hard reset your console:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2265/ps3_how_to_factory_hard_reset[/quote]

Cool I might try that first, I need to buy a USB thumb drive to backup all my crap first lol. :)

EDIT: Does anyone know if I can back up my PS3 data on unused space on my PSP memory stick?

[quote name='Sinistar']EDIT: Does anyone know if I can back up my PS3 data on unused space on my PSP memory stick?[/quote]

It should work. Try it out, you haven't got anything to lose.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']It should work. Try it out, you haven't got anything to lose.[/quote]

lol i just tried it. yeah it works. Just go to save game folder on PS3 XMB then theres a folder for PSP then just select your game you want to save and choose that for destination.. I dont know if an easy way to do it with all save games but I had to do one at a time. :(

on PSP it saves it as F:\PS3\SAVEDATA\ But on the PSP XMB I didnt see an icon/folder listed at all that shows that you have PS3 game saves stored.

Ugh. So I just got burned on craigslist. 60gig with 4 controllers - $360. Everything seemed OK when I powered it on, the guy had a few demos, checked the firmware- 2.41 OK, I'll have to update and then FREEZE. Then the picture looks corrupted, with blue and black bars all over the screen. Turned it off and back on, and it froze even quicker. The light stays green, but I can't do anything besides turning it off. I typically won't get a picture again unless I leave it on for a few hours, but I get the same result.

I'm wondering if I just open it up, clean out any dust, and change the thermal compound I'll be OK? I can either pay the $150 (called Sony last night and they walked me through basic troubleshooting) for the coffin, or sell it for around $225. Neither option is good.

All I can say after having done this myself is to buy another harddrive and format it yourself. As for all your downloads you're going to have to download everything again because its a new HD, it beats shelling out $180 for a 60GB HD.

as a quick update to my issue... I took the PS3 apart and cleaned out a LOT of dust and garbage. It also looks like the former owner may have spilled some soda in it, which I was able to get off with rubbing alcohol. Put it all back together and ::fingers crossed:: everything seems to be running fine.

So I just got a new PS3 and my old 60 gb died. When I go to put my Hard drive into the new one it wants me to format my disk.

I have a ton of gameshare and game saves on my disk.

How do I get those off of my old 60 GB hard drive so I dont have to redo everything :(

HELP!

[quote name='Maynard']So I just got a new PS3 and my old 60 gb died. When I go to put my Hard drive into the new one it wants me to format my disk.

I have a ton of gameshare and game saves on my disk.

How do I get those off of my old 60 GB hard drive so I dont have to redo everything :(

HELP![/quote]

You can only save stuff if you copy stuff from one harddrive to another in the same PS3. In your case even if you had backed up the data, if would not be recognized in the new PS3.

Also if you were part of any gamesharing groups, specifically one that included 5 people, then you'll have to call sony to have your old PS3 deactivated from that group otherwise you won't be able to get back in.

My PS3 is at this stage. So how long should I be waiting?

Status Date: Monday, September 15, 2008 Status: The unit you are inquiring about was opened and assigned on 9/15/2008. Please allow 7-15 business days from the time we received your unit to complete your order not including shipping and handling time.

[quote name='Paco']My PS3 is at this stage. So how long should I be waiting?

Status Date: Monday, September 15, 2008 Status: The unit you are inquiring about was opened and assigned on 9/15/2008. Please allow 7-15 business days from the time we received your unit to complete your order not including shipping and handling time.[/quote]

I'd be interested too. My 60 GB Model has gone dead on me, and due to my warranty being expired (14 months I've owned the system) I have to pay the $149 fee to have my system repaired. I'm so upset over the whole experience I had with Sony's customer support that I'm considering canceling my repair request. They're in the process of sending me out the box to ship the system to them in, but they say they will not charge the $149 until they receive my system and do any necessary repairs.

What I'd like to do instead is tell them I'm not going to have the system repaired at this time (due to some financial issues I'm having). I'll ask if I can keep the box, as well as the repair order number they assigned me in order to send the system to them a couple months from now instead?

That probably won't fly, but I too will keep everyone up to date. I'm also considering posting about how Sony's customer support treated me and as a result of their actions I'm being given a copy of Heavenly Sword absolutely free. If I do so, I'll post it both here and at Sony's official forum.

I almost look at the free game as a "bribe" to keep me from sharing my disgust for a company I once held in high regard but don't anymore.

Question... so I'm sending in my PS3 for repair (60gb). Like everyone else, I want to keep my game saves, but the RockBand game save is a locked file. If I try to copy it, it doesn't let me. Is there a way to back up everything so that when I get my replacement unit, it'll have everything (including the RB save)? If not, can I buy a replacement drive (same model, size, RPMs, etc.), stick it in the system and keep the original one? Will Sony notice? If they do, what could/would they do about it? Any/all info would be appreciated.

That is also an issue with singstar dlc. I heard you can contact Sony CS and they'll refund you or credit your account with the amount of DLC you had that was locked. Not sure on it, but give Sony a call since I would hate to lose my songs cause of that.

[quote name='Warner1281']Question... so I'm sending in my PS3 for repair (60gb). Like everyone else, I want to keep my game saves, but the RockBand game save is a locked file. If I try to copy it, it doesn't let me. Is there a way to back up everything so that when I get my replacement unit, it'll have everything (including the RB save)? If not, can I buy a replacement drive (same model, size, RPMs, etc.), stick it in the system and keep the original one? Will Sony notice? If they do, what could/would they do about it? Any/all info would be appreciated.[/quote]
You should be able to do a complete system backup and restore.

Yes, Sony could tell if you sent them a different hard drive, they could check the serial number. I don't know if they'd care, since they allow you to upgrade the hard drive.

Speaking of that... anyone know if you send Sony a system with an upgraded hard drive, if they'll switch the drive into the replacement system?
Alternatively, what happens if you send Sony a broken PS3 with a replacement hard drive inside.

[quote name='Warner1281']Question... so I'm sending in my PS3 for repair (60gb). Like everyone else, I want to keep my game saves, but the RockBand game save is a locked file. If I try to copy it, it doesn't let me. Is there a way to back up everything so that when I get my replacement unit, it'll have everything (including the RB save)? If not, can I buy a replacement drive (same model, size, RPMs, etc.), stick it in the system and keep the original one? Will Sony notice? If they do, what could/would they do about it? Any/all info would be appreciated.[/quote]

I had the same issue with copying save files for High Velocity Bowling and LocoRoco, it said they were locked and could not copy, but I did a system backup/restore and it didn't restore those game saves.

Also, it's important to note that even if you backup everything, if sony doesn't give you your original machine back it won't matter for locked saves. Locked saves will only play on the original PS3, different HDD or not, so if they give you a new/refurb unit there's no way of transferring those files over.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Also, it's important to note that even if you backup everything, if sony doesn't give you your original machine back it won't matter for locked saves. Locked saves will only play on the original PS3, different HDD or not, so if they give you a new/refurb unit there's no way of transferring those files over.[/quote]
That's a horrible way to manage things.
Seriously... what is the purpose of DRMing save files.:roll:
... I suppose it could have to do with preventing exploits. Still...:roll:

[quote name='StrandedBrit']And yet, with trophies now aren't all save files going to be locked?

Sucky situation.[/quote]

cpfpyd2.gif

^^
Me over DRMed save files, for any reason, but especially over trophies/achievements.

I can see it now, I'll spend 100 hours to complete some RPG, then my PS3 will die and I'll be SOL.
:applause:
Bravo...

[quote name='StrandedBrit']And yet, with trophies now aren't all save files going to be locked?

Sucky situation.[/quote]

Well LocoRoco and High Velocity Bowling don't have XMB Trophies, so that doesn't make sense..
Is there a list of all "locked" game saves anywhere?

[quote name='Thongsy']That is also an issue with singstar dlc. I heard you can contact Sony CS and they'll refund you or credit your account with the amount of DLC you had that was locked. Not sure on it, but give Sony a call since I would hate to lose my songs cause of that.[/QUOTE]A ton of people posted how they gave Sony a call, and they worked with them on getting their content back. They know the situation and it's proven because SingStar is listed as a service under your PSN account, and Sony can tell what you downloaded.

Actually, the saves that are locked, will move over if you do a system back-up utility. Some saves just lock to PSN-ID (can only be played under your PSN-ID, but can be copies). I remembered having a few locked saves, but once I did a system back-up utility, they moved over to my new HDD.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
Actually, the saves that are locked, will move over if you do a system back-up utility. Some saves just lock to PSN-ID (can only be played under your PSN-ID, but can be copies). I remembered having a few locked saves, but once I did a system back-up utility, they moved over to my new HDD.[/quote]

Well I tried back up utility yesterday when I swapped my PS3 out at Costco, and I didn't get my locked save games ported over, so I have no idea why it didn't work.

[quote name='Sinistar']Well I tried back up utility yesterday when I swapped my PS3 out at Costco, and I didn't get my locked save games ported over, so I have no idea why it didn't work.[/quote]

That's the problem. The backup utility only allows you to restore on the PS3 it was backed up on. In your case when you went to restore, it saw it was a different PS3 and purposefully didn't copy the locked stuff over.

What is the friggin deal with DRMed SAVE FILES!?!?!

Geez, I thought it was just Nintendo that had gone psychotic on us. Not pleased there are some PS3 games that do that too. Hopefully activation DRM will die out/be made illegal one of these days...

bread's done
Back