Dead PS3 and Repair Time

[quote name='StrandedBrit']1 year.

Tell you what though. The new 80GBs seem to be built a lot better. The thing was half the weight of my old 60BC and so far I've yet to hear a fan go off. Much nicer.[/QUOTE]

I purchased the 80gig metal gear pack this last summer. My fan kicks on constantly. After about 30 minutes of play it kicks in and pretty much runs until I shut it down for the evening. I guess I never thought about it until I was listening to last weeks CAG Cast and cheapy was talking about how the HD install helped so much with the fan kicking in on the xbox and how it never kicks in on the ps3. Should I be calling sony on this???

Thanks for any advice/opinions
cigarl

Do you have it completely out in the open? The Playstation 3's fan is thermal controlled. Depending on how warm it is in your home, it may kick on to different levels-and if you put it in an entertainment center or something, that could damage it and would also make it louder.

Mine is quieter now than it was during the summer. Usually while playing a game during the summer it had to ramp up to the second to loudest level (still quieter than a 360), although occasionally it would bump up one past that, and when Folding it always got to the highest level.

Now when gaming it's usually a "notch" below that and even quieter, and Folding kicks it up to where gaming did during the summer-but I keep it cold, it's like mid 60s during the winter, so I'm sure that's why.

I'd guess there's nothing wrong with it, but make sure it's out in the open and not enclosed (ditto for the Xbox 360).

It's still quieter than the 360 though.

[quote name='Cigarl']I purchased the 80gig metal gear pack this last summer. My fan kicks on constantly. After about 30 minutes of play it kicks in and pretty much runs until I shut it down for the evening. I guess I never thought about it until I was listening to last weeks CAG Cast and cheapy was talking about how the HD install helped so much with the fan kicking in on the xbox and how it never kicks in on the ps3. Should I be calling sony on this???

Thanks for any advice/opinions
cigarl[/quote]

I'm talking about the 80 without BC. The MGS4 80GB still has a lot more crap in there than the new 80 which is silent doode.

In your case it would be normal for the fan to be on a various times with your machine.

[quote name='hairyballs520']HI, What I want to know is if u break ur warranty seal will sony STILL fix or give u a refurb ????? TIA[/quote]

Anybody know??

What warranty seal? You opened the system? I'd assume then no, they wouldn't do anything for it. I've never seen a warranty seal, so I'd assume you'd have to really be cracking the thing open or something.

[quote name='hairyballs520']HI, What I want to know is if u break ur warranty seal will sony STILL fix or give u a refurb ????? TIA[/quote]
No. That is what warranty seals are for. Sorry kiddo.

Well I'm glad to say that I've resolved all issues with account deactivation and singstar song transfer with my dead PS3. And since it was a hassle I thought I'd write a little about it here so others no what to expect.

Regarding singstar songs there's not too much to it. Just ask for your songs to be deactivated. Took me 3 times to get someone to understand but when they do they'll tell you that it'll take up to 5 days to deactivate them. Took mine 4 days.

Redarding gameshare accounts sony has a strict policy it seems (csr I talked to says they consider these on a case by case basis) that they will only deactivate accounts that are (a) maxed out to 5 shares and (b) were on your dead ps3. Also they won't deactivate the accounts until your dead ps3 has been fixed and returned to you.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that for your gameshare accounts you will need the following informtion :whistle2: Account PSN ID, email login, address, first name, last name, date of birth and the answer to the security question you setup initially. (It might help to have another gamshare member change the name and address to your real name and address so it looks like they are actually yours.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SeanNOLA']No. That is what warranty seals are for. Sorry kiddo.[/quote]

Thanx guess I'm gonna have to fix these 2 myself. Thanx now to find a good place to buy the laser lens

[quote name='Wolfpup']
I'd guess there's nothing wrong with it, but make sure it's out in the open and not enclosed (ditto for the Xbox 360).

It's still quieter than the 360 though.[/quote]

I have my 40gb PS3 out on a table in the open and after 20-30 minutes it still gets pretty loud. Then again, I'm usually playing Little Big Planet or GTA IV on it.

Even my one buddy noticed how loud his families' 40 gb PS3 got after 20-30 minutes.

Then again, maybe I'm just thinking it's uber loud, since I'm sitting about 3-5 feet from it. The table it's on right next to my bed, but it's about 5-6 inches from my bed and over a foot from the window.

Huh, I don't know. My Metal Gear 80GB PS3's pretty quiet-especially now that it's colder in here. I think at full blast it's still quieter than the 360 at its dash (during the winter that is)

I may be repeating myself, so sorry...I don't know what I've already written :)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Do you have it completely out in the open? The Playstation 3's fan is thermal controlled. Depending on how warm it is in your home, it may kick on to different levels-and if you put it in an entertainment center or something, that could damage it and would also make it louder.

Mine is quieter now than it was during the summer. Usually while playing a game during the summer it had to ramp up to the second to loudest level (still quieter than a 360), although occasionally it would bump up one past that, and when Folding it always got to the highest level.

Now when gaming it's usually a "notch" below that and even quieter, and Folding kicks it up to where gaming did during the summer-but I keep it cold, it's like mid 60s during the winter, so I'm sure that's why.

It's still quieter than the 360 though.[/QUOTE]

I do have it out in the open. It is sitting on top of a speaker next to the entertainment center. I'll start to listen to it a bit closer and see if there is any kind of pattern and if I can hear the different fan levels. I don't own a 360 so I can't compare it to that. Thanks for the reply and advice
cigarl

[quote name='Cigarl']I do have it out in the open. It is sitting on top of a speaker next to the entertainment center. I'll start to listen to it a bit closer and see if there is any kind of pattern and if I can hear the different fan levels. I don't own a 360 so I can't compare it to that. Thanks for the reply and advice
cigarl[/quote]

On top of a speaker? Speakers have magnets in them, if I remember correctly, so that can't be good for the PS3.

Mind you, my PS3 is about 2 feet from one too, so maybe that's why mine gets so loud.

Oh, I didn't catch that. Yeah, that could be really bad for the whole thing, and the hard drive in particular.

I guess I should move my PS3 back a bit further from my one speaker I have it by then as well. Although, it's not sitting right next to it and the end with the HDD is facing my bed and even further from the speaker.

Is it just me or does the PS3 make alot of little noises while it's running?

I don't think mine does, but I'm not 100% sure. My 360 makes little clicks and pops sort of every now and then (but you can't hear them when the optical drive is spun up).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Oh, I didn't catch that. Yeah, that could be really bad for the whole thing, and the hard drive in particular.[/QUOTE]

I'll get min off the speaker and see if that changes anything. I think it's loud compared to the Wii.

Well I guess I dont need anything fixed , just recieved my Ps3 from a major ebay liquidator and this was the motorstorm bundle ,it was an, as is needs repair unit . SO I assumed it needed at the very least a disc lens hence my first question , Long story short I cant find a dam thing wrong with it in fact its brand spanking nu just wish they put some foam inside cause it had cardboard rub marks (was missing 1 side ofcardboard hold down thing) motorstorm game av wires everything but the power wire, won it @157 + 15 shipping used paypal coupon ended up paying 156 bucks , 1$ less then winning bid ! Now I hope my 2nd 1 i'm waiting on works just fine

My PS3 has just died. I was watching a BD with my bro when all of a sudden the PS3 went dead and started flashing a red LED. Did a quick check on PS3 site and found out i would have to pay $150 plus tax to get it fixed. I have some questions to people that have had this happen to them before: Do they format your HD(delete game saves)? My BD is still inside my PS3 and there is no way to get it out, Will they secure my BD and ship it back to me? If anyone has any input i'd love to hear it.

If it's a blinking red light then most likely it's a power/temp problem and they'll just issue you a replacement. That's what happened to mine, and that means you'll lose all info on your HDD.

In the box they send there is a form to fill out stating what is stuck inside the machine if any. You'll receive it back when it gets fixed.

It's sad reading my post 2 above considering what has happened again.

Replacement 60GB has bit the dust.

EDIT: Once I get this repaired I'm most likely going to want to sell it ....... ;)

Damn, your system broke again? Didn't you just recently get it back. That's just plain back luck. My system is now out of warranty, hopefully nothing goes wrong with it since I'll than be forced to buy a PS2 also.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']It's sad reading my post 2 above considering what has happened again.

EDIT: Once I get this repaired I'm most likely going to want to sell it ....... ;)[/quote]
Quit using it to hammer nails...
Seriously, that's some bad luck... I wouldn't cross a street if I were you.:lol:

[quote name='StrandedBrit']

EDIT: Once I get this repaired I'm most likely going to want to sell it ....... ;)[/quote]
Thats what im going to do as soon as mine is fixed im going to sell it, and just get a new one, but i'll make sure to back it up every couple of months so i dont lose any saved data.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']It's sad reading my post 2 above considering what has happened again.

What a shame. Doesn't Sony only provide you a 60 day warranty for the replacement system they send you, and if so, is your replacement still under warranty?

I'm in the same boat as you are in that I have the flashing red light, and requested a repair. The limited warranty for a replacement system is the one thing that's made me reluctant to have it repaired until now (my system broke in September; just now am I repairing it).

I believe it's 90 days or the remainder of your original warranty. Either way, it still would be horrible to get a repaired and sent back only to have it break down two weeks later.

[quote name='mguiddy']Quit using it to hammer nails...
Seriously, that's some bad luck... I wouldn't cross a street if I were you.:lol:[/quote]

Good thing we got a foot of snow recently. I don't think I could if I wanted to! Seriously though the 60GB didn't have one game played on it, just DVDs and Divx movies. :cold:

[quote name='rick3000gto']Thats what im going to do as soon as mine is fixed im going to sell it, and just get a new one, but i'll make sure to back it up every couple of months so i dont lose any saved data.[/quote]

Right on. This is generally a good idea, but unfortunately if your machine just up and dies again like with the blinking red lights and they send you a brand new machine the backup (presuming you use the ps3 backup utility) won't work.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy'] What a shame. Doesn't Sony only provide you a 60 day warranty for the replacement system they send you, and if so, is your replacement still under warranty?

I'm in the same boat as you are in that I have the flashing red light, and requested a repair. The limited warranty for a replacement system is the one thing that's made me reluctant to have it repaired until now (my system broke in September; just now am I repairing it). [/quote]

Yeah it is 90 days after you get your replacement. Mine died exactly 30 days after getting it back so I'm still good, but my confidence in the 60GB BC unit has gone straight out the door.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']
Yeah it is 90 days after you get your replacement. Mine died exactly 30 days after getting it back so I'm still good, but my confidence in the 60GB BC unit has gone straight out the door.[/quote]

At least you're still under warranty. I agree with you in not having a lot of faith in the 60 GB system. It reminds me of when I got my PS2 at launch. I had the infamous "disk read error" and it was only after having the system repaired twice that on the third time I received a refurbished system. To this day (and it's been a good 5 years or so) I haven't had a single issue with that system.

I almost think Sony put the "cart before the horse", and that's the true reason they dumped full bc (60 GB system) for the 80 GB with emulated BC.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']At least you're still under warranty. I agree with you in not having a lot of faith in the 60 GB system. It reminds me of when I got my PS2 at launch. I had the infamous "disk read error" and it was only after having the system repaired twice that on the third time I received a refurbished system. To this day (and it's been a good 5 years or so) I haven't had a single issue with that system.

I almost think Sony put the "cart before the horse", and that's the true reason they dumped full bc (60 GB system) for the 80 GB with emulated BC.[/QUOTE]I'm going to be honest here. Since I spend a lot of time at various PS3 forums, I will admit out of all the PS3 SKUs, the original 60GB is the one with the highest failure percentage, based on what SKU people owned and which one people had fail on them. The other launch SKU (although manufactured much less) hasn't had as high of a percentage of failures.

That is why when anyone is planning to get a PS3, I tell them do NOT invest in a used 60GB, ever (unless they are getting beyond a good deal and it works). You are better off buying an 80GB Core and a slim PS2 if you want to play both platforms. I have to find out where I heard it, but I did read somewhere that SOME 60GB consoles suffer through a design flaw, which leads to the blinking red light/power problems (part of it relates to the 60GB is the PS3 console with by far the most components, and due to cramming so many components on the motherboard, it has a higher chance of having a problem). Oh course the 60GB issue is no where near as big as the early PS1/PS2 consoles and definitely not as bad as a certain other console.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm going to be honest here. Since I spend a lot of time at various PS3 forums, I will admit out of all the PS3 SKUs, the original 60GB is the one with the highest failure percentage, based on what SKU people owned and which one people had fail on them. The other launch SKU (although manufactured much less) hasn't had as high of a percentage of failures.

That is why when anyone is planning to get a PS3, I tell them do NOT invest in a used 60GB, ever (unless they are getting beyond a good deal and it works). You are better off buying an 80GB Core and a slim PS2 if you want to play both platforms. I have to find out where I heard it, but I did read somewhere that SOME 60GB consoles suffer through a design flaw, which leads to the blinking red light/power problems (part of it relates to the 60GB is the PS3 console with by far the most components, and due to cramming so many components on the motherboard, it has a higher chance of having a problem). Oh course the 60GB issue is no where near as big as the early PS1/PS2 consoles and definitely not as bad as a certain other console.[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense. There's no doubt in my mind that the PS3 60 GB Model is one hell of a multi-media machine. In fact, you could justify buying it just for that reason alone (4 USB Ports, Blu-Ray, Divx support, PS2 BC, etc.). However, I think Sony was trying too hard to please everyone. Had they just focused on the PS3 components, and not worried so much about PS2 bc, I'm guessing the system would be much more reliable than it has been.

Regardless, they've got my $149 for a repair, and I still feel good enough about it to justify the cost.

If my rarely used 60GB launch PS3 goes tits up i'll wait for Sony to release the 45nm PS3's which should hopefully be out sometime next year.

[quote name='rick3000gto']Thats what im going to do as soon as mine is fixed im going to sell it, and just get a new one, but i'll make sure to back it up every couple of months so i dont lose any saved data.[/quote]

Damn, my system just died (60gb as well). Looks like I'll do as you guys mention, and sell the damn thing when it gets repaired. I still own 2 ps2, so I couldn't care less about backwards compatibility if it's going to be causing me headaches like this.

I backed the damn thing up last month, but it's been a very productive month of gamesharing (now have to deal with that headache)...

[quote name='dragonjud']I backed the damn thing up last month, but it's been a very productive month of gamesharing (now have to deal with that headache)...[/quote]

If you're system just up and died and it's not the BD drive then most likely you'll receive a replacement refurb back and the backup you made will be useless anyway.

Oh and the gamesharing is a headache. I posted about my experience not too long ago. You going to have to wait until you physically get the machine back before doing anything about the gamesharing and you'll need a bunch of info ready.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']If you're system just up and died and it's not the BD drive then most likely you'll receive a replacement refurb back and the backup you made will be useless anyway.

Oh and the gamesharing is a headache. I posted about my experience not too long ago. You going to have to wait until you physically get the machine back before doing anything about the gamesharing and you'll need a bunch of info ready.[/quote]

Thanks, I've been reading your posts, and I'm not looking forward to it. I may pm you, if there's something I still have questions about.
Sony is sending a coffin for it.

The system had been locking up once in a while, but this afternoon it just locked up and died (while playing a ps2 game :roll:). It still turns on (if you do it manually), but there's no output display (tried all mentioned methods), and it does not respond via any input (controllers or remotes).

I just bought a Gamestop refurbed 80GB backwards compatible PS3 on Friday.

Last night the disc drive completely died.

I think GS breaks warranty seals when the 'refurb' the systems, does that mean sony won't fix the system at all?

[quote name='manthing']I just bought a Gamestop refurbed 80GB backwards compatible PS3 on Friday.

Last night the disc drive completely died.

I think GS breaks warranty seals when the 'refurb' the systems, does that mean sony won't fix the system at all?[/quote]

If you bought it last friday you should be able to return it to Gamestop. Good luck finding a new one though...

Oh and on the used system thing- back when i worked at funcoland (8 years ago) all that meant was that I wiped the system down with some foaming bubbles and took off the lame stickers the previous owner put all over the thing. So the seal might not be broken.

The "refurb" might be more extensive though (so they can erase the harddrives), but I won't buy refurbed systems because of my prior experience as an employee. Oh- and everything you've ever heard about them storing the loose systems in the bathroom? true.

I received a new system to replace my old one. Well worth the $149 imho.

Then again, after 90 days, I may find myself in the same situation again!

I think i played my MGS Ps3 to death :(
made in june 08 stopped reading blurays

well i got it going again by licking a cd
temp fix im sure
ill send it in before my year is up im sure, my only question is do they send you back the same exact ps3 id hate to lose my 4 usbs and bc

[quote name='m_d_amore']I think i played my MGS Ps3 to death :(
made in june 08 stopped reading blurays

well i got it going again by licking a cd
temp fix im sure
ill send it in before my year is up im sure, my only question is do they send you back the same exact ps3 id hate to lose my 4 usbs and bc[/quote]

In my case, they sent me the same model (60 GB BC System), but a brand new system. The rumors of Sony still having the 60 GB model are true. They took them off the store shelves, but the company still has them (I would assume still produces them too).

I just submitted an online request for a coffin

hopefully i wont lose my BC and what not

ill keep you guys posted

I bought my ps3 last march and of course the damn died the other day and i think the warranty is up. I called Sony to find out what needs to be done to fix it and they send it back and you would have to pay $150 to have them fix it. The problems i am having is that it was working fine on Tuesday but when i got my new Street Fighters game in the system wasnt reading any games or movies. I really dont want to pay the $150 to have them fix it and then once i get it back to have more problems with it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do at this point? PLEASE HELP ME!!

You can avoid the $150 by fixing it yourself. Most failures are the lasers dying. Its is part number KES-400a. You can buy them online from hyratech.com for $80. If you shop around, you can probably get them for as low as $65 shipped. The ones from hyratech are the more reliable brown clipped version which replaced the faulty white clip version.

There are tutorals all over the internet on how to take the PS3 apart. Its quite simple and since the warranty is done, dont be afraid to break that seal. Even if you decide to send it in to sony, they don't care that the seal is broken, as long as you pay them $150 to fix it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Supposedly though the 360's games can be redownloaded indefinitely now? If so, that's actually better (of course I suppose on a 360 you're more likely to need to need a new console, but still :D )[/quote]

The 360 dosent have this issue because when you send it in you kare told to keep the hard rive.

Sony has the by far the worst CSR ever
My 60 gig PS3 fell to the fatal 800110514 error "Media Couldn't Be Loaded"
Weird thing is though it continued to play other media with no problems ie: PS2, PSone, Blu-Ray, DVD's, But as soon as I load a PS3 game it loads and works for 5 mins then whole system freezes and has to be shut off by the back power switch.

Here's my problem I've read through many fourms and heard that sony WILL NOT replace the 60 gig systems. When I call Sony to replace the system they said they have plenty of 60 gig systems. I would love to tell you about the system that I recieved but i haven't got my system back yet and its going on a month in 3 days I shipped console back on 2/18/09

Has anyone else had this problem because this is rediculious and I missed out on RE5 This is very disappointing on Sonys part.

Dude, you should definitely have had your console back by now. Most people get their system back within 2 weeks from when they call it in. I'd call them and biatch them out.

In my instances (2) I got them back in 10 and 11 days from placing a call.

[quote name='kurokubushi']The 360 dosent have this issue because when you send it in you kare told to keep the hard rive.[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't have anything to do with the DRM though. It's still tied to the console, not the hard drive.

bread's done
Back