Dead Space 2 -- Discussion

[quote name='GUNNM']Wonder why they added MP but no MP achievements.[/QUOTE]

Umm... not to be obvious but to give fans an option to play after the single player experience. You don't have to have achievements to play MP. In fact, I for one think MP achievements are shit. It forces me to either lack gamerscore or to play in most cases a shitty online experience when I dont want to i.e. Gears 2 Level 100 bullshit (prior to 25 xp weekend), Bioshock 2 Level 50 (online for that game is a lagfest and not fun), etc. If a game is fun in MP, people will continue to play it i.e. BFBC2, Call of Duty, Halo, etc.

[quote name='kylerg']Nobody is answering..online type of pass?[/QUOTE]
Perhaps if you stated a full question rather than "online pass?" or the above post.

Are you asking what the online code does? If that is your question, it unlocks multiplayer/online access. I would liken it to the Cerberus code in ME2.

[quote name='Pirate331']Started on Survivalist... I died 3 times just trying to get to the first door. Certainly didn't waste any time with buildup.[/QUOTE]

Hah... seriously. Though the beginning is really well done. I'm up to chapter five (~3h) and didn't want to stop but thought long and hard about work would be like if I kept going. The polish is insane, looks great, feels great, good mystery and scares.

One small critique I have though is that they are very purposeful about his animations... ripping into machines for hacking, getting in and out of ducts... but he never touches the elevator buttons or door buttons. Would have been a nice final touch to match the rest of the game.

I'm an item whore, so I spend an extra minute searching around an area for items to be sold back to the store, even if it's extra ammo or whatnot. I think I'm going slower than most people :roll:

[quote name='Pirate331']Started on Survivalist... I died 3 times just trying to get to the first door. Certainly didn't waste any time with buildup.[/QUOTE]

@ Pirate331, I think Zealot (I think that's what I'm playing on) is the way to go! Not too terribly hard, but challenging enough. Also, about the Online Pass, I don't think they've announced any extras (DLC, etc.) for those with the pass like they did with ME2's Cerberus Network; pretty sure it JUST unlocks MP...Wish they would give us some DLC freebies, though, I'm gonna need some help for Hardcore/Insanity mode!

Also, some reactions:

This game is really well done...So far I'm four chapters in and I am loving it...Definitely been scared a few times, but I think playing on a higher difficulty helps add to the tension. I also feel like a badass as well...Having some major fun with the Javelin Gun!

Favorite moment so far:

Near the start of chapter one with the guy on the table, the necromorph shows up and Isaac goes "IS THAT A PLASMA CUTTER???" I lol'd, he hasn't forgotten about DS1...

[quote name='drktrpr1']I'm an item whore, so I spend an extra minute searching around an area for items to be sold back to the store, even if it's extra ammo or whatnot. I think I'm going slower than most people :roll:[/quote]

I do the same thing but haven't been shuttling items back to the shops because they are not close for the first few chapters... there's a lot of stuff around on normal so the inventory fills quickly. Probably could be playing a harder level. Have only really died once when I couldn't learn stasis quick enough.

[quote name='faceturd']I do the same thing but haven't been shuttling items back to the shops because they are not close for the first few chapters... there's a lot of stuff around on normal so the inventory fills quickly. Probably could be playing a harder level. Have only really died once when I couldn't learn stasis quick enough.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, gonna definitely have to up the level next playthrough. Zealot on New Game+!!!

Also,

Was anyone else really confused by the stalkers at first??? I was like, "Okay, it's got nothing to attack me wi.. OH MY fuckING GOD!!!!! IT JUST RAMMED ME AND Took MY ARM OFF!!!!!" Odd little creatures.

My first run-in with the pack went about the same. Saw only two, then about ten swarmed me from behind. Soo fucking scared!!!

I am really loving this game, and can't wait to see what else they've done!! 2011 GOTY anyone??? I'm at least feeling a nomination.

So happy to see everyone supporting this game, i remember when dead space 1 came out... people were skeptical on picking it up launch week. NOT THIS TIME.

THIS IS..... DEAD SPACE!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']
Was anyone else really confused by the stalkers at first??? I was like, "Okay, it's got nothing to attack me wi.. OH MY fuckING GOD!!!!! IT JUST RAMMED ME AND Took MY ARM OFF!!!!!" Odd little creatures.

My first run-in with the pack went about the same. Saw only two, then about ten swarmed me from behind. Soo fucking scared!!!
[/QUOTE]
Same here...Took me two frustrating (and terrifying!) deaths before figuring out how to kill them...shoot their heads when they peek out from being something, then stasis and shoot legs when they charge at you...The achievement says it all...

clever-girl%21.jpg

I just finished it (I've had it for a week already)

The ending mini game will go down in Video game hisory. It doesn't spoil the story but..

You basically have to stick a needle in your eye, talk about fucked up, it took me like 5-10 minutes to do on easy!! It is no simple task

Also I also started on Hard? But by chapter 10 I said fuck it, it just stops being enjoyable because I literally had no ammo (I've beat Hardcore on DS1) By chapter 11 its necromorph city and there are just too many.

Also Hard Core difficultly in DS2 only lets you save 3 times and there is only enough ammo to get through the game, once you die you can only go back to a save point, talk about epic!

I like many of you am a trophy whore.. Dead Space 1 was my bitch and I took my Platinum from her hahaha. I played that game through three times and loved it.

I want to shoot the UPS man. They showed up at 9:30 this morning and didn't hear the knock so now I have to wait until tomorrow haha Had another shipment come from EA that came in the afternoon and I was in the damn shower.. WTF haha It's like they know when you are busy and give a baby tap then run back to the truck haha saying "I got yo game biiiitch!!!" haha

Anyone else get a 20 dollar credit on their order from Amazon? My limited edition won't get here till the first to the fith and I was given a 20 dollar credit. It is nice getting the limit edition for 59.99 now and not the 79.99.

Dont know why but I love how Isaac talks now, and he cusses A LOT ! that is right up my alley ! just started chapter 3 and the game is great, seems to be cheap on Power nodes though just like the first game. I get so few looks like I will have to just stick with one gun primarily, because I want to build up my suit first

[quote name='Kezmer']Dont know why but I love how Isaac talks now, and he cusses A LOT ! that is right up my alley ! just started chapter 3 and the game is great, seems to be cheap on Power nodes though just like the first game. I get so few looks like I will have to just stick with one gun primarily, because I want to build up my suit first[/QUOTE]

I am a bit worried about that too. Each upgradeable item starts on a worthwhile slot so I basically spread my node butter really thin across everything to start so that the base level of all things is up a bit. Then I decided to go plasma rifle... I remember the first game was all line cutter and plasma cutter so I thought I would shake it up a bit. Plasma Rifle is a lot cooler in this game too. Very chunky.

[quote name='GirlsRscandalouz']I want to shoot the UPS man. They showed up at 9:30 this morning and didn't hear the knock so now I have to wait until tomorrow haha Had another shipment come from EA that came in the afternoon and I was in the damn shower.. WTF haha It's like they know when you are busy and give a baby tap then run back to the truck haha saying "I got yo game biiiitch!!!" haha[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Irrefutable. fucking. Truth.

Every time I manage a conversation with let alone experience an actual sighting of my UPS man I feel like I've just sold a picture of the devil for 1 billion dollars. The thing is he doesn't like to wait for a signature but rather pull a Pirates of the Caribbean and nestle the package under some inconspicuous landmark near my house. Got a motherf*cker at 6:30 am combing the front lawn looking for clues and shit like he's the god damn Batman of postal service.

Well... the next time he pulls an asinine stunt like that I'm going to lie in wait on some Solid Snake shit next to giant cardboard box on my porch then appear out of nowhere like the MK Whoopsie! Man and Falcon Punch his ass back to Gotham City disgruntled laid off Wayne ENT. employee style.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']LOL!

Every time I manage a conversation with let alone experience an actual sighting of my UPS man I feel like I've just sold a picture of the devil for 1 billion dollars. The thing is he doesn't like to wait for a signature but rather pull a Pirates of the Caribbean and nestle the package under some inconspicuous landmark near my house. Got a motherf*cker at 6:30 am combing the front lawn looking for clues and shit like he's the god damn Batman of postal service.

Well... the next time he pulls an asinine stunt like that I'm going to lie in wait on some Solid Snake shit next to giant cardboard box on my porch then appear out of nowhere like the MK Whoopsie! Man and Falcon Punch his ass back to Gotham City disgruntled laid off Wayne ENT. employee style.[/QUOTE]

Annnnnnnd... SCENE! :applause:

Anyways, it helps to sell back unused ammo for money to get power nodes, I'm doing pretty good on power nodes and I'm only on chapter 5. My suit and stasis are half upgraded, and my javelin gun is looking like a dang harpoon.

Well... the next time he pulls an asinine stunt like that I'm going to lie in wait on some Solid Snake shit next to giant cardboard box on my porch then appear out of nowhere like the MK Whoopsie! Man and Falcon Punch his ass back to Gotham City disgruntled laid off Wayne ENT. employee style.[/QUOTE]
haaha

Well after the utter failure of my "Release-Day Deliver" from Amazon. My original package tracking is now showing an error and teh replacement Amazon sent me at 8:30 last night by "Next Day" is supposedly out for delivery.

We'll see it it actually arrives this time.

[quote name='phantasyx']I just finished it (I've had it for a week already)

The ending mini game will go down in Video game hisory. It doesn't spoil the story but..

You basically have to stick a needle in your eye, talk about fucked up, it took me like 5-10 minutes to do on easy!! It is no simple task

Also I also started on Hard? But by chapter 10 I said fuck it, it just stops being enjoyable because I literally had no ammo (I've beat Hardcore on DS1) By chapter 11 its necromorph city and there are just too many.

Also Hard Core difficultly in DS2 only lets you save 3 times and there is only enough ammo to get through the game, once you die you can only go back to a save point, talk about epic![/QUOTE]

I want to see this mini game?

Ha.

I dunno The game itself I'm loving.. I got the hahaha so called "collectors edition"

1. They advertised the box as if it was going to big by opening up the scenic foldout to give the illusion of the box being bigger and having more sizable content (bigger plasma cutter)

2. This "lithograph" is nothing more than a little 5x7 piece of poster board

3. The "plasma cutter" is a cheap VERRY cheaply made small toy version

4. And I could give a shit less about the soundtrack

5. PS3 version I can't even get some of my money back on the Sir Isaac DLC armor because it correlates with you signing in through Dead Space 2 and your EA account

I got more shit for the game by completing Ignition 100%, having played Dead Space 1 unlocked the plasma cutter, and some cool ass guy posted a rivet gun code up on EA's facebook first come first serve.. (me) haha and If I'm not mistaken completing Ignition gives me the Hacker Suit..

Tried the multiplayer and its like slow motion

Glad the game itself is tight ..at least

Now that I've finally acquired a copy I think this will mark the second game I've delved into MP first rather than campaign. Are the maps used in MP stand alone or restructured campaign routes? If the experience is anything like L4D I'd rather avoid accidentally spoiling myself when the opposing team leaps at me from various campaign spawn points.

[quote name='GUNNM']Is disc 2 where the majority of the game is? After chapter 7 you have to put it in disc 2[/QUOTE]Ahh the Magic of Sony and Blu Ray one shot one disc haha jk man

Got my game today, and bought the Collector's Limited Edition Guide from Amazon.. The guide is nicely done and covers Extraction as well, 8x10 Letter from the Church of Unitology and they print number of your book because it is a limited print. Don't know how many they made. Goes into great detail though, also gives you a picture of all DLC suits that will be available to purchase soon and what they do. Definitely worth the $17 I paid for it shipped

Multiplayer is awesome. However I wish each map were a bit longer and that randoms weren't so undeniably hopeless. I can't complain much since we only lost the first game out of the six I played but my goodness were a lot of them close calls. I would love if any kind soul would be so inclined as to clue me into whatever whacked out logic is behind taking it up the ass via spawn camped when we're only one good power rush away from f*cking shit up?

Uh... how is this fun again?

The last two games I was the only person with a pair large enough to juggernaut head crush through that bs and solo a stage of the objectives successfully so my team could "DURDUR Team Deathmatch!" it up in the next round. What's worse is the opposing team was either k/d conscientious or just plain didn't get it either. They got demolished. Ugh... it's L4D 2 all over again. The split second you try to teach someone how to play effectively (verbally or in my case by example) a retard veil smothers them in their own fail forever scarring their retinas and converting the English dialect to Angry Quarian.

I'm still gonna play the utter hell out of it though micless until MvC3 for sure. I doubt most of my friends will play... let alone buy this game. The Plasma Cutter is an underrated beast and the Plasma Rifle's secondary will not only plow through Necrowalls but also save lives. I saw a few abusing the Line Gun but with most players from both teams spawning Punky Brewsters they never lasted very long.

Wow. Just started the game tonight on Zealot, and this game is soooo #^#$ing amazing! Its amazing how much they did to improve the already amazing gameplay. Mmm, can't wait to play some more!

Also, has anyone purchased any of the packs for DS2?

[quote name='jaredstorm']Wow. Just started the game tonight on Zealot, and this game is soooo #^#$ing amazing! Its amazing how much they did to improve the already amazing gameplay. Mmm, can't wait to play some more!

Also, has anyone purchased any of the packs for DS2?[/QUOTE]

Was considering, but it looks like the advanced suit beats 'em all, and my zealot suit starts me off pretty well.

Oh and I might add something to the above about suits...

If you bought the LE Collector's Edition Guide for Dead Space 2 as I did, there is a way to unlock another suit not listed on the Store for multiplayer offered exclusively from Prima. So read closely when you're going through it

Can you start a New Game + and play on Hardcore? I dread the possibility of having to start over from scratch on the hardest difficulty, I want to go in with everything upgraded!

[quote name='drktrpr1']Can you start a New Game + and play on Hardcore? I dread the possibility of having to start over from scratch on the hardest difficulty, I want to go in with everything upgraded![/QUOTE]
No you can't I'm not done yet but starting off thats the only one you can't play through on first try.. I'm doing Zealot and it's not that hard but then again I played through the first one and beat it doing two achievements at once..
One gun only using the plasma cutter the entire game
And on the hardest level..

The game is sweeeeeeeeet

[quote name='drktrpr1']Can you start a New Game + and play on Hardcore? [/QUOTE]

Thats a nice fantasy, but like 'GirlsRscandalouz' said, no. I'm playing through Zealot on my first go and its honestly not as frustrating or hard as I planned on it being.

[quote name='jaredstorm']Thats a nice fantasy, but like 'GirlsRscandalouz' said, no. I'm playing through Zealot on my first go and its honestly not as frustrating or hard as I planned on it being.[/QUOTE]

Ugh I'm gonna get my ass handed to me just like last game when I decided to go for the "One Gun" and "Hardcore" achievement at one playthrough. I made it, but barely...

It hurts so good!

[quote name='drktrpr1']Ugh I'm gonna get my ass handed to me just like last game when I decided to go for the "One Gun" and "Hardcore" achievement at one playthrough. I made it, but barely...

It hurts so good![/QUOTE]
It was worth it for bragging rights haha I recorded it and put it on youtube as I beat the boss

[quote name='jaredstorm']Thats a nice fantasy, but like 'GirlsRscandalouz' said, no. I'm playing through Zealot on my first go and its honestly not as frustrating or hard as I planned on it being.[/QUOTE]
Just you wait. The end boss is frustrating even on Survivalist.

EDIT: To answer some earlier questions/concerns, you may do a new game+ on any difficulty except Hard Core, despite the difficulty you completed the game on.

[quote name='Master Troll']Just you wait. The end boss is frustrating even on Survivalist.
[/QUOTE]

Shit, I know! I'm having a hard time on the parts with the hiders.

The velociraptor things....damn them. Ch 5/6 have definitely been the creepiest so far. Unfortunately I just have a really hard time getting scared by anything no matter how much I try to let myself. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the game

The end of chapter five was amazing!

And yes Slick, the velociraptor things is what I was talking about when I said 'hiders,' they're so fucking creepy!

I finally beat Dead Space 1 today. Took me since launch to beat it, cause im such a pussy. haha. End time on sane 11 hrs and 26 mins. on casual. haha told ya im a puss.

Time to start Dead Space 2 now. :)

Just beat the game on Zealot. What an experience. Another great game in the series.

Though the end boss was a little annoying and lame, the ending more than made up for it. Though I pretty much suspected that Ellie would eventually come back for Isaac, I love how they started the credits. Trying to catch up to the gun ship was very exciting. And of course, the "What?" from Ellie sealed the deal.

[quote name='jaredstorm']Hope you started on Normal this time bro. ;)[/QUOTE]

The difficulty i play on, shouldnt matter to no one but me ;)

I find it a better experience for myself on casual. The scare and jump factor is hard enough for me as it is.

Less cheevos that way too! Haha.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Just beat the game on Zealot. What an experience. Another great game in the series.[/QUOTE]

Awesome man! Thats what I'm going through now, just passed chapter 6, how close am I to disc 2?

[quote name='jaredstorm']Less cheevos that way too! Haha.[/QUOTE]

as much as i fiend achieves, id rather take my sanity and less blood pressure lol.

Has anyone read the IGN review? It feels like it was written by a 10 year old. This guy is employed by IGN, one of the most trafficked game sites, and his "writing" is just wince-inducing!

Dead Space 2 Review

Survival horror has a new gold standard.

January 21, 2011

by Greg Miller

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/142/14293266.htmlDead Space 2 is an amazing game. I'm going to write about its scary moments, cool kills, and how much I dig the main character's internal struggle, but Dead Space 2 is about more than this. When I beat it for the first time, I sat on the couch with my heart racing and dissected the journey I had just taken. Then, I started my second playthrough, and when that was done, I jumped into a new game for the third time. Dead Space 2 is just that good.
It's been three years since the events of the first game, but protagonist Isaac Clarke still can't catch a break. At the beginning of Dead Space 2, he wakes on a space station known as the Sprawl and finds the place is overwhelmed by an outbreak of reanimated corpses called Necromorphs. From the very first moment of the game, Isaac's fighting for his life.

This is where you come in. As Isaac, you'll pick up your plasma cutter, don http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1145015p1.htmlan engineering suit and take the fight to the beasts out to kill you. The overarching goal is to find and destroy the religious idol (known as the Marker) causing all of this, but the story that makes Dead Space 2 great is the internal war Isaac's fighting. Unlike Uncharted's Nathan Drake who can kill a few hundred pirates and never seem worn down by it, Isaac is totally ruined by the events of the original Dead Space. He saw things no man should have to during his time on the spaceship USG Ishimura, but it's the fact that Isaac's girlfriend died on the vessel after he encouraged her to work there that really haunts him.
http://guides.ign.com/guides/14293266/

Isaac's losing his mind in Dead Space 2. The guilt is tearing his very sanity apart. That's heavy stuff and it makes for a really engaging story. Isaac doesn't let anyone else in on the fact that he's coming unglued, so as a player I get to see who he really is and the facade he presents to the other characters. Isaac's internal conversations and hallucinations are among my favorite parts of this game.
But I have lots of favorite parts to Dead Space 2. Right behind Isaac's struggle on my list of cool stuff is the combat. It's more satisfying than it was in the original. Isaac's fast and light on his feet. You can stomp crates in a jiff and melee attack bodies for loot, grabbing things with your telekinesis is responsive, and mixing all of this together with the different weapons in the game is a blast. Slowing down a Necromorph, blowing off its arm, and using the severed limb to impale the foe on a wall is a thing of beauty that doesn't get old.
The cast is fleshed out, but Isaac steals the show.

Dead Space 2 is pretty much the best haunted house attraction ever. Visceral stripped out the stuff that slowed down the original game (backtracking, getting disoriented, etc.) and ended up with a fast-paced game that's suspenseful and scary at the same time. You're funneled down these halls and corridors on your way from Point A to Point B, and ghouls pop out for you to blast. I know that "linear" is a bad word in the video game industry, but the package is so well done here that I can't knock Dead Space 2 for taking me on a very specific ride that's marked by awesome moments, environments that range from a cheery schoolhouse to pitch black rooms, and sound that's so well done I'd find myself trying to figure out if it was a monster making its move or my dog rummaging in the living room. Toss in some new disturbing enemies and surprises I won't ruin for you and you have a game that can feel like "the same old thing" at times but becomes much more than that as a whole.
I've already said that I've played the game over and over, so it's important to point out that no ride needs to be the same. Dead Space packs returning weapons such as the saw blade-spitting Ripper as well as brand new items like the Detonator and its trip mines. Each of these weapons -- along with your suit, telekinesis and stasis module -- can be upgraded for maximum ass-kicking, and then the progress can be saved and carried over to your next playthrough. These options and rewards are what kept me wanting to come back. There are tons of new suits (with new bonuses) to unlock and I always wanted to see what my next pimped-out weapon could do.

My desire to jump back in really speaks to the shift in Isaac's perspective this time around. Some fans threw hissy fits when Visceral said that there'd be more action in Dead Space 2, but it works and I love it. Isaac feels like a badass here, and he should. He's fought these monsters before and he's used these weapons before. The first game was a scared engineer tossed into hell. The second game is a guy who's lost everything to these monsters and really has nothing left to lose so hell yes he'll put his life on the line and shoot out an airlock if it means killing seven Necromorphs at once. Isaac is stronger here and I feel stronger playing as him.
If you're truly devoted like myself, there's even a mode known as "Hardcore," and it's nothing less than sadistic. The enemies are at their toughest, the supplies are limited, there are no checkpoints, and if you die, you restart from your last save. Oh, and you can only save three times in the entire game. That's crazy talk, but damn, do I want to do it.

As much fun as all that is, the "go here and do this" structure does hamper the overarching story. The part about Isaac wrestling his demons is awesome, but the narrative driving the search for the Marker is a bit flat in comparison. Different characters are just popping up to tell you to go there and do that. I wouldn't have a problem with this structure if it ended with Isaac learning something or maturing as a protagonist, but we never get that moment where he takes charge of his own fate. He's always being pushed somewhere by someone.
Another stumble is multiplayer. I've played all of the game's five modes/maps, and none of them did anything for me. Players are broken into two teams: the humans have an objective and the Necromorphs are out to stop them at all costs. As a human, I'd run to an objective, hold out for as long as I could, and then get killed. As a Necromorph, I'd hope my minimal amount of damage dealt killed a weaken opponent or set the kill up for a friend. The pacing and vague objectives really didn't equate to fun. This isn't want I want out of a Dead Space experience.
Luckily, as I hope I've already driven home, Dead Space 2's single-player is so good, you shouldn't question picking this game up.
Multiplayer failed to thrill me.

Closing Comments
Dead Space 2 is more than just an action game and it's more than a survival horror game -- it's a game that tells a really personal story about a guy who has been seriously scarred by the events around him. That premise alone makes it interesting, but Visceral Games melds it with rewarding combat, shocking enemies, and huge set pieces before tossing it into a world that's truly creepy and scary. I didn't find multiplayer that interesting and would've liked to have seen Isaac stop being an errand boy, but none of that spoils what you're getting here. The shocking moments, the gruesome deaths, and the fun of playing through this experience again and again are what I took away from this one.
Dead Space 2 is an excellent game, and it's well worth your time and money.

[quote name='jaredstorm']Less cheevos that way too! Haha.

Awesome man! Thats what I'm going through now, just passed chapter 6, how close am I to disc 2?[/QUOTE]

Disc two happens in chapter 7, I hit it last night.

Does anybody have any of the DLC suits and/or weapons? I have some leftover Bing Rewards MS points and think I might try and buy a pack or two.

Need Dead Space 2 Collectors Edition Code - Have Many Codes to Trade for. Looking for the Zeolot Suit and Gun Code from Collectors Edition have many codes to trade for:

Fable 3 Channeller Swrods and Tattoo Set
Dead Space Ignition
Crackdown 2 Colors (Not DLC)
Dead Rising: Case West Arcade Game
Two Worlds II: Sword Code
Two Worlds II: Extra Level Code
Possibly X-Men Arcade Code
Fable 3: Potions and Dog and Tattoo Code
Dead Space: Ignition Code

PS3
Splatterhouse Codes (Not availavle for DLC)

Contact via Xbox Live GT:TheDarkBean

bread's done
Back