[DEAD] Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade for College Students $30

icedrake523

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='genfuyung']Just called and got the professional upgrade for 36 shipped. Said the full version was impossible to get. Has anyone actually received the full version or just been told they would?

The guy on the phone didnt ask me if i wanted 32 or 64 bit...damnit. No way I'm getting back on the phone for an hour and a half to ask.[/QUOTE]

Professional contains both 32-bit and 64-bit.

[quote name='J7.']That sounds like what would happen for doing an upgrade install. I am asking about how to get your original PC's programs without backup/restore if you do a clean install.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does, however I went through with a Custom Installation seeing as I installed Windows 7 Professional over Windows Vista Home Premium. Upgrade installation was not available to me.

[quote name='Mizzou75']Do they actually check to see if you're still enrolled? I graduated in May but still have my .edu address.[/QUOTE]

They didnt when I called the MS store. I just gave em my .edu address and I took this semester off for work.

Just got this email from MS Store: (Ordered 10/21/09 @ 610pm PST, for a Win7 Pro Full physical copy)

We wanted to let you know that we are shipping your order on time.

Due to the tremendous response we've received from the launch of Windows 7, your shipping confirmation e-mail has been slightly delayed. Rest assured that your order is on its way, and there's nothing else you need to do.

Thanks for shopping at Microsoft Store.

I received my full version in the mail today. Also just received the shipping confirmation e-mail today. So it looks like they may have upgraded shipping to help with the massive delays

So I just want to make sure I have this right. If I do a Clean install all of my stuff will be moved to a folder and I'll be able to drag it into the new OS no problem? Including programs and stuff? I've got my stuff backed up but I just want to make sure that's what happens before I do this.

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Edit: Also, you can only go from Vista Home to 7 Pro if you do a clean install right?

does anyone wanna trade their 32 bit Home Premium for my 64 bit Home Premium? I'd even be willing to paypal a few bucks your way in exchange lol I'd like this not to be a total $30 loss for me lol

[quote name='Anhmeister']
Yeah, it does, however I went through with a Custom Installation seeing as I installed Windows 7 Professional over Windows Vista Home Premium. Upgrade installation was not available to me.[/QUOTE]
Oh. How did you do the installation, did you just put the disc in and it reformatted everything or did you have to do other things?

[quote name='Mizzou75']So I just want to make sure I have this right. If I do a Clean install all of my stuff will be moved to a folder and I'll be able to drag it into the new OS no problem? Including programs and stuff? I've got my stuff backed up but I just want to make sure that's what happens before I do this.

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Edit: Also, you can only go from Vista Home to 7 Pro if you do a clean install right?[/QUOTE]
Also would like to know this, especially if you can just drag/drop and then delete the old folder. What type of backup did you do?

Unless I missed something somewhere that's special with 7, if you do a clean install it would clear your whole HD, meaning you would lose any info not saved

You can't just drag and drop the programs but your data will still be there in a file called windows.old. I backed up all the important things I had and did a clean install.

The windows.old folder will be under your C drive, right under the new "Windows" file.

I did a clean install from Vista 32 bit to W7 64 bit. If you have any questions ask away.

[quote name='J7.']Oh. How did you do the installation, did you just put the disc in and it reformatted everything or did you have to do other things?

Also would like to know this, especially if you can just drag/drop and then delete the old folder. What type of backup did you do?[/QUOTE]

Windows 7 does NOT reformat your hard drive during installation. I clicked on Custom Installation and it just proceeded to install. It told me all my original files would be found under C:\Windows.old, which everything was. The files are kept as they were before.

What do I need to do if I want to do a clean install from Vista to Win 7 and keep all my programs and files?

Are you able to reinstall programs from the C:\Windows.old?

[quote name='slickkill77']You can't just drag and drop the programs but your data will still be there in a file called windows.old. I backed up all the important things I had and did a clean install.

The windows.old folder will be under your C drive, right under the new "Windows" file.

I did a clean install from Vista 32 bit to W7 64 bit. If you have any questions ask away.[/QUOTE]
So even with clean install it keeps all your files & programs. What type of backup did you do?

[quote name='Anhmeister']I see what you are getting at, but I never had the Drive Options tab as I started the custom install from within Windows. It just installed and I was able to get all of my files back. As far as I know that's not formatting.[/QUOTE]

same here.

Thanks again for sharing this deal.

7 is working out great so far, although it must be said: Going from Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit was a long and deeply painful process.

[quote name='mokmoof']Thanks again for sharing this deal.

7 is working out great so far, although it must be said: Going from Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit was a long and deeply painful process.[/QUOTE]

Any good tutorials on how to do this?

[quote name='Stry-ker']Any good tutorials on how to do this?[/QUOTE]

The trouble is that the setup files you'll get from Microsoft or Digital River require you to already be running a 64-Bit OS. This is no problem if you're running Vista x64, but otherwise it's a pain. So some workarounds are necessary. A lot of people are having success with this method.

For me, however, the discs I burned using that process on my 32-Bit OS would boot, then fail to install; and if I tried burning that same ISO on a 64-Bit OS, then the resultant disc wouldn't boot.

So I ended up booting with a disc I burned on my computer, then (when the install failed) switching it out for a disc that I had burned on another computer, which was running OS X.

It makes absolutely no sense that this worked, but it did.

So does anyone have any more info about upgrading from Vista Ultimate to a version of Windows 7?
Does Microsoft offer a student discount on 7 Ultimate? This seems to be the only upgrade path available (without wiping all your programs and files out) from Vista Ultimate.

Please help, I actually am a student so I don't have the time to make backups and a custom install to Windows 7 Pro unless it's not as painful of a process as they make it sound.

[quote name='lionheart4life']So does anyone have any more info about upgrading from Vista Ultimate to a version of Windows 7?
Does Microsoft offer a student discount on 7 Ultimate? This seems to be the only upgrade path available (without wiping all your programs and files out) from Vista Ultimate.

Please help, I actually am a student so I don't have the time to make backups and a custom install to Windows 7 Pro unless it's not as painful of a process as they make it sound.[/QUOTE]

To be clear, the only thing that made it painful for me was going from x86 to x64. The custom install itself was very smooth, and I was able to reinstall several programs (not Microsoft Office, unfortunately, but several other programs) directly from the windows.old folder.

That said, there is currently no student deal on 7 Ultimate, and going from Vista Ultimate to 7 Professional would (to the best of my knowledge) require a custom install.

Just called the MS store and was told that the Windows 7 full was only a download.

Called again got a rep who know what they were talking about, $29.95 + $1.98 tax + $4.99 Shipping

I can get a deal through my school for pro 42.99 and ultimate 82.99. Any better deals elsewhere? I am not interested in the home edition.

[quote name='Steggy']I can get a deal through my school for pro 42.99 and ultimate 82.99. Any better deals elsewhere? I am not interested in the home edition.[/QUOTE]

Through the Microsoft deal, Professional comes out to about $33 for a download, or about $38 for a disc. So that's slightly better.

As far as Ultimate goes, though, I know of no better deal than $83.

[quote name='kongfunk']Just called the MS store and was told that the Windows 7 full was only a download.
Has the deal changed? or should i call again?[/QUOTE]
I would make another call, maybe they were just out of stock?

Ordered the Professional 64-bit version, with disc. Not sure if the professional discs have both 32 and 64, but I guess it doesn't matter.

I have a second question: My mom (who's a current student) is getting a new laptop from her university's computer store. I am going to assume it'll have Vista installed, and won't have a Windows 7 disc included. Are there any upgrade options for her? I want to get her setup with W7 but if there's an upgrade path or something available, that'd be great. If not, I guess ordering her a $30 academic upgrade disc is still a good deal.

Thanks in advance guys!

I'm shocked at how easy it was to go from XP 32 Bit Home to 7 64 Bit Professional.
The only "hard" part was making the digital river download into a iso, which was still easy.
I just rebooted, it saw my raid without any additional drivers, and it installed itself without any issues. It was by far the easiest OS installation I've ever done.

[quote name='matthewrex']Ordered the Professional 64-bit version, with disc. Not sure if the professional discs have both 32 and 64, but I guess it doesn't matter.

I have a second question: My mom (who's a current student) is getting a new laptop from her university's computer store. I am going to assume it'll have Vista installed, and won't have a Windows 7 disc included. Are there any upgrade options for her? I want to get her setup with W7 but if there's an upgrade path or something available, that'd be great. If not, I guess ordering her a $30 academic upgrade disc is still a good deal.

Thanks in advance guys![/QUOTE]

Pro comes with both.

got a 2nd copy of 7 Pro for my laptop with Vista ultimate, ill have to do a clean install but thats what I wanted to do anyway. Thanks OP

So wait, if I download Windows 7 Professional via the Digital River Student Offer and if I have Windows Vista Home Premium am I able to just upgrade the OS and keep all of my files?

[quote name='thepik241']So wait, if I download Windows 7 Professional via the Digital River Student Offer and if I have Windows Vista Home Premium am I able to just upgrade the OS and keep all of my files?[/QUOTE]

yes, but many people like to do clean installs

What do I need to do if I want to do a clean install from Vista to Win 7 and keep all my programs and files?

Are you able to reinstall every program from the C:\Windows.old?

[quote name='slickkill77']You can't just drag and drop the programs but your data will still be there in a file called windows.old. I backed up all the important things I had and did a clean install.

I did a clean install from Vista 32 bit to W7 64 bit. If you have any questions ask away.[/QUOTE]
So even with clean install it keeps all your files & programs. What type of backup did you do?

Shipping Confirmation
The following item(s) from your order have shipped!
Windows 7 Professional Full Quantity: 1
Yah! Placed order thru MS Store 10/21/09, shipped 10/26/09.

They even upgraded my shipping at no extra cost to Next Day Air (I paid for ground).

[quote name='sasukekun']Yah! Placed order thru MS Store 10/21/09, shipped 10/26/09.

They even upgraded my shipping at no extra cost to Next Day Air (I paid for ground).[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'm starting to despise Microsoft, I ordered two days before you and mine still hasn't shipped.

I called on the 26th (yesterday for me) and they gave me the excuse that they were undergoing system maintenance for the next 24 hours and couldn't check for me, as to when my item would ship

Yeah their shipping is... odd. I ordered two at the same time from the MS Store (different emails, same home address). My copy has arrived, but my girlfriend is still waiting for her tracking number.

Update: I called at 11 AM PST and they said it was scheduled for delivery (despite not sending her a tracking number). It was delivered at around 6 PM PST. :D

I finally got someone, and they told me it actually shipped out on the 22nd, but with the 2 day shipping, it should have been here by now. I'm being transferred to some Team Rep. I'll post an update when I'm done.

Alright, after spending quite some time on the phone, and being bounced from person to person. they finally figured out that my order hadn't been shipped at all. So the guy was going to cancel my previous order and create a new one to expedite the process.

He took all my information again, but then asking what I had ordered balked at it; because he said there was no student discount on the Windows 7 Professional Full; and that it should have been 299.99. He put me on hold, and came back after speaking to a supervisor claiming he had "good news". The powers over his head and reinstated my old order, and changed it to next day air, and said I should be receiving it tomorrow.

So to anyone who ordered through Microsoft's Store and haven't received it, I ordered on the 19th.should perhaps call in

Finally got my shipping notification from the MS Store today (I ordered on 10/21). They didn't automatically upgrade my shipping to Next Day Air as some posters have mentioned, but it should be here by Friday. I'm not in a hurry anyway as I don't have a machine that Win 7 can call home at the moment... :cool:

I order mine on the 22nd of October and it shipped out on the 27th from Ontario, CA. Delivery is set for the 28th by UPS.
Just in time for my day off. Hopefully installing won't be a headache.

bread's done
Back