Deadly Premonition - $16 @ Amazon

regular price is $19.99...doubt you'll resell it for a profit.

And wow...IGN gave it a 2 out of 10. I can't remember the last time I've seen a review that abysmal!!! (And yet, Gamestop gave it a 7 out of 10...?)

[quote name='chrisnsally']regular price is $19.99...doubt you'll resell it for a profit.

And wow...IGN gave it a 2 out of 10. I can't remember the last time I've seen a review that abysmal!!! (And yet, Gamestop gave it a 7 out of 10...?)[/QUOTE]

The game actually "works" so I don't see how it could be a 2/10. Hell the driving sucks but is functional. This game has a bit too much wandering around for me but man is the dialogue and are the cutscenes weird!

[quote name='chrisnsally']regular price is $19.99...doubt you'll resell it for a profit.

And wow...IGN gave it a 2 out of 10. I can't remember the last time I've seen a review that abysmal!!! (And yet, Gamestop gave it a 7 out of 10...?)[/QUOTE]

I said you'll just be out (lose) a couple dollars if you decide it sucks.

I bought it awhile ago and couldn't get past the crap graphics so I just got rid of it. Otherwise it wasn't bad, especially since it's so cheap anyway. It's a pretty long game as well. A lot of people actually like it quite a bit.

It's about an FBI agent who talks to himself and gets deadly premonitions from words in his coffee. I can't make this shit up.

No Joke.....this is My second favorite Game of the Year right behind Mass Effect 2....check out my pic lol

i think everyone should check it out if you're into strange games.

[quote name='Xiemos']Watching the endurance run (from 2 or 4? point of views) was enough deadly premonition for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think you'll get enough out of the game if you just watch the endurance run(s) on giantbomb.com. The story and the atmosphere were entertaining, but the shooting mechanics looked almost painful. It seems like a game that's more fun to watch than play.

Then again, I watched *every* *single* *one* of those endurance run videos and always looked forward to a new one so that speaks to the story and character development. I got so much entertainment out of the game that I almost feel like I should buy it just to give the developer (SWERY) some loot for making such an odd game.

I have sunk about 20 hours into it. It's campy but the game does have that certain je ne sais quois. I'm enjoying it despite it's countless flaws. It's good in the same way that Earth Defence Force 2017 was good, that is to say it shouldnt be, but it is.

[quote name='Jodou']Sounds like a lost episode from Twin Peaks.[/QUOTE]

Which is part of the inspiration for the game. Personally, I really enjoyed it. The graphics might not be great, but for a budget title, there's an incredible amount of gameplay. I can't recall too many $20 games with a 20+ hour story, a very large map with numerous sidequests and collectibles, extensive character development and dialog, etc. Even if the game isn't perfect, you'd have to be nuts to deny that a lot of effort went into it. And on top of that, they're not trying to overcharge you (5 hour campaigns for $60, I'm looking at you). I agree, the game might not appeal to everybody. But there's certainly nothing "bad" about it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Which is part of the inspiration for the game. Personally, I really enjoyed it. The graphics might not be great, but for a budget title, there's an incredible amount of gameplay. I can't recall too many $20 games with a 20+ hour story, a very large map with numerous sidequests and collectibles, extensive character development and dialog, etc. Even if the game isn't perfect, you'd have to be nuts to deny that a lot of effort went into it. And on top of that, they're not trying to overcharge you (5 hour campaigns for $60, I'm looking at you). I agree, the game might not appeal to everybody. But there's certainly nothing "bad" about it.[/QUOTE]

I think there is plenty "bad with the game, the driving mechanic, graphics, repetative animations, voice acting etc. etc. Maybe game is not good but it is fun and entertaining.

I think this is one of those games that a couple years from now will probably be one of those rarities being sold on ebay for a criminal amount of money.

I'm not usually one to whine about reviews, but that IGN review is one of the worst I've ever read. He didn't even try to have fun with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to buy it but then you said it was good like EDF was good ... and that was NOT good imo. It can't be that bad can it? It's got bend over backwards zombies!! Anyone like it but hate EDF?

Amazing game and one of my most memorable gaming experiences of the year by far. I've played quite a few games this year and even more this generation. Now if you were to ask me about the story of those games I wouldn't be able to tell you much because frankly nothing has drawn me in like deadly premonition did (with the exception of bayonetta but that was gameplay not story. ) I can tell you nearly every part of this games story and the majority of characters (both major and minor) that's how great the story and character progression are.

I will be playing this game again another 2 times to get all achievements, cards, and sidequests. If you can stick through the slow pace of the first couple of hours you will find the most rewarding gem of this generation.

I guess I'm in for this. It's a gamble, but some people seem to have really enjoyed it.

Destructoid gave it a 10/10, while IGN gave it a 2/10.

[quote name='meta460085']I think there is plenty "bad with the game, the driving mechanic, graphics, repetative animations, voice acting etc. etc. Maybe game is not good but it is fun and entertaining.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wakawakawa']I guess I'm in for this. It's a gamble, but some people seem to have really enjoyed it.

Destructoid gave it a 10/10, while IGN gave it a 2/10.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I'm saying. You can't listen to people and their biased opinions of what makes a game "good". If you like the subject matter (serial killer plot in a strange town filled with strange characters) and the style (intentionally hokey, B-movie horror), and you expand your gaming tastes beyond the Modern Warfares and Maddens, chances are, you'll have a good time with this game. It can't just be a bad game if the opinions on it are that split. It's all about what you're into.

I don't even get the complaints about the driving mechanic. I had no issues at all controlling vehicles. The only thing I don't like is that the map rotates as you turn, so that you're always pointing "ahead", which can be disorienting...especially at the beginning when you haven't learned the layout of the town yet. The only other complaint I've heard is that the driving takes "too long" and people get bored. But if you complete the side quest to obtain the police radio (pretty early in the game), you can just warp to places without needing to drive. Problem solved.

Graphics, yeah, they're not great looking. But I've seen plenty of games with great graphics that suck ass. This is an ignorant measurement for what makes a game good. The "repetitive animations" you can also skip by pressing A, so that's not really an issue either. The voice acting...eh, that's a matter of taste. It's not Oscar worthy by any means, but like I mentioned earlier, some of the corny-ness is intentional...and the game isn't afraid to make fun of itself. So, again, that seems like a matter of taste.

[quote name='hollowfreak']I was going to buy it but then you said it was good like EDF was good ... and that was NOT good imo. It can't be that bad can it? It's got bend over backwards zombies!! Anyone like it but hate EDF?[/QUOTE]

Me. I hated EDF, but loved DP. So there you go.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']This is exactly what I'm saying. You can't listen to people and their biased opinions of what makes a game "good". If you like the subject matter (serial killer plot in a strange town filled with strange characters) and the style (intentionally hokey, B-movie horror), and you expand your gaming tastes beyond the Modern Warfares and Maddens, chances are, you'll have a good time with this game. It can't just be a bad game if the opinions on it are that split. It's all about what you're into.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

G4TV/Xplay gave it a 4/5...http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/62985/deadly-premonition/review/

Instead of paying money to play the game, I'd recommend watching the endurance run on giantbomb.com. I enjoyed the series immensely, probably more than I would have actually playing the game.

I picked this up used from GS a month or two ago and it's incredibly enjoyable. Is it perfect or even amazing, no not at all. The driving kinda sucks until you get used to it. The graphics aren't great but so freakin what? You people complaining about graphics still play DS games, those looks worse than this. I enjoyed it enough to write a review on it.

[quote name='chrisnsally']And wow...IGN gave it a 2 out of 10. I can't remember the last time I've seen a review that abysmal!!! (And yet, Gamestop gave it a 7 out of 10...?)[/QUOTE]
It's one of those love it or hate it games & IGN seems to almost always end up on the hate it side.
[quote name='Saix_XIII']The graphics aren't great but so freakin what? You people complaining about graphics still play DS games, those looks worse than this.[/QUOTE]
Argument makes no sense, we know what to expect of the DS. We know what to expect of the 360, PS3, PC etc. Before you jump to conclusions, I know the developer behind DP is low budget, that doesn't mean the people complaning about low quality visuals, controls etc. realize that.

I won this game in a Destructoid contest, and I love it to death. It's actually a great game to play with like-minded buddies...then you can all laugh at it together.
And the main character, Frances York Morgan, is one of the most unique in any game I've ever seen.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']It's one of those love it or hate it games & IGN seems to almost always end up on the hate it side.

Argument makes no sense, we know what to expect of the DS. We know what to expect of the 360, PS3, PC etc. Before you jump to conclusions, I know the developer behind DP is low budget, that doesn't mean the people complaning about low quality visuals, controls etc. realize that.[/QUOTE]

My argument makes complete sense. Games are to be played and enjoyed. Visuals can help with that, but they do not make a game playable, they just enhance what is already there. The controls are not bad. The driving is easy to get around once you get a new car. The controls are just fine, reminds me of old school Resident Evil/Silent Hill which to me is a good thing. Just because a game is on the 360 and/or PS3 doesn't mean the graphics need to be amazing. Look at Disgaea 3, Cross Edge, etc etc. Those games were I think $50/60 when they came out and people who enjoy the genre were fine with that because they enjoyed the game.

[quote name='wakawakawa']I guess I'm in for this. It's a gamble, but some people seem to have really enjoyed it.

It's not terrible, it's fantastic.
it has some rough spots but it's insanely entertaining.
it's a new Shenmue if you think about it.
Don't listen to all the jerks who say this game is terrible, most of them either didn't play/they stopped after an hour in(hi ign!) or they watched few episodes of endurance run and think they know how this game plays because brad/ryan and vinny/jeff were so incompetent at playing it, it's not even funny(especially brad).
give it a try people, it may be very hard to find in future.
check reviews on x-play/gamespot and decide for yourself.
it's a game with soul and you'll remember it for years and years after you're done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']The only other complaint I've heard is that the driving takes "too long" and people get bored. But if you complete the side quest to obtain the police radio (pretty early in the game), you can just warp to places without needing to drive. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

But unless you read a FAQ, watch the endurance run, or just randomly like do side quests (which there seem to be a *ton* of) you just arent going to come across that easily.

But again I'll say, it has an engaging story and I'd imagine that the story and the characters are what you'd take away from the game, not the actual "gameplay". If you're easily frustrated by such things, watch the endurance run. It's worth seeing the story anyway you can.

Well worth the price. It's quirky as hell, has a slow start, but if you're not rushing through it (like the IGN reviewer no doubt tried to do) then it's a nice relaxing sort of game, with crazy dialog, awesome characters, and a fun story.

Yeah, the graphics are bad...but the voice acting is quite good...yeah the gunplay is pretty poor, but the story pulls you through it. I mean, it's no 10/10, but it's a solid game, I'll never forget it, and it'll be one of those games that sticks out to me whenever I think of the PS360 generation. I really enjoyed it after the first three hours (after the sawmill).

You'd really have to have no soul to give this game a 2/10. None. Devoid of joy in your heart.

Also, if you like Twin Peaks...you simply can't pass this game up. It is Twin Peaks, the game.

I don't even have a 360 (yet) and I've been deciding whether or not I should pick this up.
Looks like a 'secret gem' that might become rare in the future.

Anyone know if they announced the PS3 version in NA yet?

that game is actually good in a weird bad way. it's like watching a bad movie like The Last Starfighter, cool movie but lets get real

IGN's reviews haven't mattered since God Hand.

I watched a review for Deadly Premonition last night and I had to rewind it because I missed what they were saying due to being so enthralled by the biscuit conversation.

This game is fantastic. If you could look past the shoddy graphics and flawed gameplay it is really one of the most unique things you will ever play. Definitely in my top 3 of the year so far.

IGN is full of shit. I really think the reviewer had his mind made up before he even popped the disc in.

One of the few games that I got pretty attached to the characters.

Picked up up when it was the DOTD a while back. For $15 and new it was money well spent. Mostly bought it because my video game credit was going to expire soon, bought it as a game that I was expecting to be horrible and fun because it was horrible. Ended up being top three/four games I've played this year. Didn't mind the bad graphics and I don't mind tank controls so it was right up my alley.

Suppose whoever described it as quirky a few posts up is pretty spot on.

Deadly Premonition is a very decent game, with some flaws, which many seems to harp on or embrace. I have played and beat it. The story was very entertaining, sprinkled with awkward and entertaining moments all around. It is not for everyone, and if you have to contemplate it as a matter of choice, I'd simply skip it.

[quote name='GtotheA']No Joke.....this is My second favorite Game of the Year right behind Mass Effect 2....check out my pic lol

i think everyone should check it out if you're into strange games.[/QUOTE]

A joke this is not. I actually enjoyed Deadly Premonition more than Mass Effect 2. It is seriously one of the most underrated epic budget masterpieces I have ever played. $20 was a steal, I would have payed $60. I've gone as far as to change my Xb360 Avatar to Francis York Morgan.

Decent enough game but it certainly isn't that much fun gameplay wise unless you like lousy driving, lousy overworlds, and lousy gameplay.

But it has that quirky Japanese sort of open world game thing going on and I dug that in WotS and tolerated it in Yakuza. If you don't mind that only with abysmal combat, you'll find something to like.

I don't understand the drooling fanboys it creates though.

this game was awesome. loved it.

the clunky gameplay is oddly compelling and the characters and story are excellent.

This game is a chore and the only reason I'm still playing it is because I'm a glutton for punishment. $16 is too much for this game. Wait or rent it. There are dozens of games better than this on any number of systems.

The most enjoyable part of the game for me is the conversation the main character has with his other personality about 80s movies and music.

I jumped on this game. I was thinking of selling my 360 since I have a ps3 and wii but figured what the hay. I purchased this game and 1600 microsoft points to get the free shipping and at little less than $35 with tax can't go wrong. Also bit on left for dead 2 from gogamer for $22.89.

Screw IGN. I'm with Destructoid on this one.

I'm thinking about picking this up for my sister, she's really into horror games (silent hill, RE, that PS2 shit with ghosts and cameras), and I really want to play it too. My question is, is there anyone here that already bought it with the idea that it would be really enjoyable, but ended up hating it? Notwithstanding forgivable flaws.

It's not a horror game per se, more of a thriller suspense.
but unique blend of genres makes it so special (tons and tons of great sidequests that actually help you), like

* SPOILER BELOW *

~~~ Legendary Guitar Grecotch that never breaks and kills zombies with a single/two blows on hardest difficulty ~~~

Infinite RPG Launcher

and many more, great fun.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']5 hour campaigns for $60, I'm looking at you[/QUOTE]
Which games are those, exactly? What I don't need is more meandering, long, mildly enjoyable games. I have a lifetime backlog of those.

I like them shorter, sweeter. 5-hours is about right.

bread's done
Back