(Deal Dead, Discussion Dying) Free PSP Games @ EB (w/select PS2/XBX/GC Trade-ins)

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
Update: 4/16/05

Ths deal is now dead.
Go home... the party is over.

What's that? You wanna be the weird guy that hangs out after the party to talk about how cool the party was even though you were also the guy everyone at the party was trying to get away from?

Fine.... We'll say open for ya... BUT NO STICKY FOR YOU!

Thanks to everyone.... and don't forget.... now that you've gotten an entire library of PSP games for damn near free... don't forget to at least say hi to your DS once in a while.....

Your DS misses you....

Toodles!

UPDATE 4/11/05: As some of you may know... this deal advertised as "3 Trades for 1 PSP Game" is over as of 4/10. However, EBGames.com indicates that the deal is still fresh until the 15th, but you must trade in 6 for 2 games in one transaction in order for it to work.

Under In-Store Promotions, EBGames.com reads:
"Free select PSP title with PS2/XB/GC game trade-in (pre-purchase) Active: Now - 4/15/2005
Trade-in 6 qualifying pre-played PS2/XB/GC games and receive $79.98 towards the pre-purchase of 2 of the following titles: GRETZKY NHL HOCKEY PSP or TWISTED METAL: HEAD ON PSP or WORLD TOUR SOCCER PSP or ATV OFFRD FURY BLAZIN TRLS PSP or APE ESCAPE PSP or NBA PSP or WIPEOUT PURE PSP or MLB PSP. Game boxes and instructions are required. Some titles are excluded from trade. May be combined with other EB Promotions. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Not valid on hardware. See sales associate for complete details. Customer may be responsible for sales tax."

Some stores may or may not honor this promo, and some stores may still let you only trade in 3 for 1. Regardless, we'll keep this thread stickied until the 16th, then officially kill it 14 days after the 15th, for all you guys trying to exchange your items obtained on the 15th. In any case, the trade-in deal is YMMV, and exchanging the PSP games is even more YMMV.

Good luck to all of you on the final days of what is sure to be the most memorable, and profitable, trade-in deal of 2005!

[quote name='joystickz']

Here's the scoop.

EBGames In Store is having an in-store promotion on the preorder/purchase of PSP games that could potentially make your initial launch library damn near free.

Here's the deal......

ebpspfree6ss.jpg

With this deal, gamers need only trade in THREE games not on THIS LIST to receive one of the EIGHT games shown above.

gretzkyfree3al.jpg

For those of you who can put two and two together, understand that when you get the game from EB it bumps the value of each game that might be normally traded in for 50 cents, up to a third of the price of any of those 39.99 games.

Then, with your sealed game in hand, and receipt (or better, gift receipt) for said game, you are not prohibited from later exchanging it for store credit for the full $40 value of the game.

In essence, the deal isn't "just for those 8 PSP games" because you can still exchange any one of them within 14 days of purchase for full credit.

Better yet... get your credit back on a gift card (make sure it has scratch off pin numbers) and use it online.

Above deal ends April 10th.

Sound easy?
Good.

NOTE: Though this isnt a YMMV deal, the clerks all over don't seem to be too refreshed on it... so make sure you're cool with the employees enough to share some patience until they work it out in the computer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hgmk80']will EB accpet these games? i didnt see them on the list but i just want to make sure :)

Bad Boys: Miami Takedown: PlayStation 2

MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch - PlayStation 2 (PS2)

Metal Arms (ps2)[/QUOTE]

looks like some fine BestBuy to EB fodder to me!
(should all be good)

Traded today:
Driv3r PS2 (4.00)
Tennis Master Series XB (.75)
Future Tactics XB (.75)

WTA Tour PS2 (.75)
Rygar PS2 (1.00)
Driv3r PS2

Driv3r PS2
Soccer America PS2 (1.00)
Metroid Prime GC (2.00)

Prices in parens are normal trade in value. I got two Ape Escapes and a Wipeout out of the deal. I'm going to return them all. I already had Wipeout. I have Lumines also. Hoping to get Metal Gear Acid, Ridge Racer, and some credit for the last one I guess.

[quote name='hgmk80']will EB accpet these games? i didnt see them on the list but i just want to make sure :)

Metal Arms (ps2)[/QUOTE]

Celebrity Deathmatch is in the exclusion list. But the other two should work.

Metal Arms (ps2)[/QUOTE]

scratch that on deathmatch....

[quote name='devdude44']Wow, joystickz... is it all from this promotion? Just had to ask.[/QUOTE]

it sure is devdude.
it sure is.

(somebody please stop me.... i don't have control over my EB excursions anymore.....)

(i'm not kidding.... there are about 10 EB's in my metro area... and I can't stop myself from going out and getting things.....)

(really.... i have a serious "shopping" addiction..... the deal is too good to resist milking at least once or twice a day...)

(someone? anyone? is it april 10th yet? HELP ME?!?!)

arggh! Stunt GP (PS2) is now POX. It was PO weekend before last. I confirmed its POX status at two EB's. It was a nice find at $5.99 in-store while it lasted. Goodbye dear friend...

I've been looking at Best Buy's and Gamestop's online sites and i've found the following list of games that aren't on the currently posted exclusion list (BB new and GS used):

Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu PS2 4.99
Hot Wheels: World Race PS2 4.99
NASCAR Dirt to Daytona PS2 4.99
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc PS2 4.99
SpongeBob SquarePants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman PS2 4.99

Beyond Good & Evil XB 4.99
Voodoo Vince XB 4.99
Scooby Doo! Night of 100 Frights XB 4.99

Top Gun: Combat Zones GC 4.99
Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius: Jet Fusion GC 4.99
NBA LIVE 2004 GC 4.99

Gamestop

ESPN NBA 2Night 2002 PS2 6.99
Sunny Garcia Surfing PS2 4.99
World Destruction League War Jetz PS2 4.99

ESPN NBA 2Night 2002 XB 4.99
ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding 2 XB 6.99
Future Tactics: The Uprising XB 3.99
NBA Starting Five XB 5.99
Outlaw Golf Holiday Golf XB 4.99
Xbox Exhibition Disk 3 XB 2.99
XBOX Exhibition Disk Vol 4 XB 2.99

FIFA Soccer 2002 GC 6.99
Future Tactics: The Uprising GC 3.99

I'm sure alot of these titles have already been mentioned as being excluded from EB, and alot of the them are ones that are on the exclude list for a different console. I apologize if these have been mentioned throughout the thread, but I don't really have the time to look through all 40 pages in the thread to see if any of these work or not. I wanted to know which of these would be good to look for in stores and if you guys and gals have had success or failure with any of them. Hope this list proves helpful, even if only as a guide for what games to look for. :)

Love,
Mr. Narse

The guys at my local EB are really cool and all, but they can't accept returns on the 3 for 1. You have to take a game and take regular credit for your trade-ins. I had to take two copies of Wipeout Pure to Walmart and they would only give me a gift card (totalled to $85.54). I still have a copy of Wipeout Pure and Twisted Metal left. I'm going to have to see if I can return those as well.

It sucks that their exclusion list isn't updated... That's probably why they took it down so people couldn't find deals on games.

I'm going to go to Best Buy tomorrow and buy a crapload of games. I want to get a PSP. I have a bad feeling that a lot of the games that aren't on the exclusion list will be added by the time I get to EB. I plan to make it out real big, or lose all my money (in my wallet that is). It'll be win or lose for me tomorrow... Wish me luck guys.:)

*claps, wipes tear from eye* That. Is. Beautiful. EB is losing money like crazy on this, and it's ALL THEIR FAULT. BTW there's only two EBs near me, what would you say is the best way to go about exploiting this to its full potential in my situation? (I.E. what games, how to go about getting the store credit, I'm not usually one to WANT to rip a large corporation off, but dammit, I want a PSP and I want it cheap. lol)

[quote name='Vinny']The guys at my local EB are really cool and all, but they can't accept returns on the 3 for 1. You have to take a game and take regular credit for your trade-ins. I had to take two copies of Wipeout Pure to Walmart and they would only give me a gift card (totalled to $85.54). I still have a copy of Wipeout Pure and Twisted Metal left. I'm going to have to see if I can return those as well.

It sucks that their exclusion list isn't updated... That's probably why they took it down so people couldn't find deals on games.

I'm going to go to Best Buy tomorrow and buy a crapload of games. I want to get a PSP. I have a bad feeling that a lot of the games that aren't on the exclusion list will be added by the time I get to EB. I plan to make it out real big, or lose all my money (in my wallet that is). It'll be win or lose for me tomorrow... Wish me luck guys.:)[/QUOTE]

If you're lookin for cash, you can always take that Wal-Mart gift card to eBay. You'd probably get at least $80 for it.

[quote name='joystickz']also...... 800 posts already?
damn.

that's almost how much store credit is have!

*maniacal laughter*

anyone else rollin in the cred?[/QUOTE]

I ended up with $680.00 in store credit, from trading in 51 total PO games ended up with 17 PSP games which in turn netted me after returns 12 PSP games that I wanted, God of War, and last but not least a brand new GBA SP. I still have 1 copy of MLB and 2 copies of ATV for the PSP on pre-order I might go out and cancel one of them today to pick up Splinter Cell:CT for the Xbox.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Will they take Freestyle Street Soccer from Blockbuster? I don't see it on the exclusion list, but since it's an exclusive I wasn't sure. Also, what kind of luck have most of you had on duplicates? Do you think they're more lax if you have multiple copies for different systems?[/QUOTE]

75 cents - POX. It's on there, sadly. Last week, I bought 2 Outlaws and 3 Soccers for $16 and some change, and found out it was POX afterwards. Oh well, I still came out ahead. And I mysteriously "lost" the other 2 Soccers (wouldn't let me trade in dupes, BUT for Outlaw, they put it under a different "expansion" (more like demo - rawr)) to let it accept. Oh well, 2 Doom 3s ready for me to play on some LAN parties.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but EB took down the list of excluded games from the link that was for "In-Store Trade In Specials". I wonder if they are totally revamping the list.

i picked up two PS2 Egg-mania's and XB Total Immersion Racing at an eb the other day. Each were $5.99 (before edge card) and PO. These are a couple good titles to look for next time you are out.

Damn joystickz, 10 EB's close by? I've got 1. =( (There used to be another close, but it was in a crappy mall and closed down; the other one is 30-40 miles away). Now if Gamestop was doing the same deal, that would be another story...there's probably 7-8 of those close by.

[quote name='jkircos']I don't know if this has been mentioned, but EB took down the list of excluded games from the link that was for "In-Store Trade In Specials". I wonder if they are totally revamping the list.[/QUOTE]

Probably removing it

has anyone tried Xbox Exhibition discs lately? I know Jampack v11 is POX, but haven't tried an exhibition since that changed. If not, they have volume 5 at KB for $1.99

[quote name='Vinny']Exclusion list: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/shops/instoretradein/exclusions.asp

I just came back from BestBuy and the $5 coupon has been changed so you can only use it on one game. So I went to Blockbuster and picked up 4 copies of Hitman contracts and 2 Splinter Cells (buy 2, get 1 free) for $45.

That's not too bad but EBgames won't take doubles on a single day. So I have to find 3 more games...[/QUOTE]

The question is why they removed it...and if it will change within the system.
I was able to trade in

RE:CV PS2
MGS2:S XBx
and some other crap I picked up

so no changes to those two.

I don't think they'll change it because Jampack 11 M has been POX but it's still not on the list. I don't think they've updated the list in a long time. I think they just took it down so people can't check what games are/aren't on the exclusion list... That way, EB might get some POX games for cheap if people don't like the hassle.

I've been told April 10th by my EB clerk but I'd call to make sure as I've herd some EBs are ending the sale early.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']When does the EB offer expire?[/QUOTE]

SUPPOSED to end on 4/10.

no one will be surprised though... if it ends early.

I imagine that dealers/sellers must be getting quite a kick-back for moving Sony PSP games. Why else would FYE be handing out rebates this early, this EB deal exist, and the other bundles...all designed to move Sony-branded PSP games...right? Has this been mentioned yet/before?

damn, joystickz, didnt you also get a crapload of credit at GR too. As far as trading games for more than they were purchased at, isnt it addicting to get stuff for practically nothing out of pocket, besides the initial cost of tradding fodder. joysticks, how much did you have to shell out (cash, time, gas, etc) to get your $800 in credit?

[quote name='lurknomore']I imagine that dealers/sellers must be getting quite a kick-back for moving Sony PSP games. Why else would FYE be handing out rebates this early, this EB deal exist, and the other bundles...all designed to move Sony-branded PSP games...right? Has this been mentioned yet/before?[/QUOTE]

yes.

i mentioned it before here...
many... many pages ago.

i mentioned that EB is getting a break from Sony to move Sony branded software for them.
not only does eb get a price break from the distrubutors from Sony.... but.... for anyone that trades in GOOD PO games... EB gets those to sell as well.

Early in a launch...

Its not about the games... its about the hardware.... the more incentives a consumer has to easily acquire the software.... the more likely they are to buy the hardware.

This is a strange reversal considering how manufactuers usually take a hit on hardware knowing they can easily sell software to make it back.....

But for now... its about getting the hardware in the hands....
this will likely reverse later in the year.

(did that make sense to you?)

[quote name='nakanenui']damn, joystickz, didnt you also get a crapload of credit at GR too. As far as trading games for more than they were purchased at, isnt it addicting to get stuff for practically nothing out of pocket, besides the initial cost of tradding fodder. joysticks, how much did you have to shell out (cash, time, gas, etc) to get your $800 in credit?[/QUOTE]

i've gotten the equivalent of $1000 by now....
and like i mentioned before... its all after about a $100 investment.

whats easier is once you get store credit....
you can use that store credit to buy more PO games to trade in.....
to exchange back for MORE store credit.....
repeat.

it took a lot of footwork though....
but i have a LOT of EB's near me...

[quote name='joystickz']yes.

i mentioned it before here...
many... many pages ago.

i mentioned that EB is getting a break from Sony to move Sony branded software for them.
not only does eb get a price break from the distrubutors from Sony.... but.... for anyone that trades in GOOD PO games... EB gets those to sell as well.

Early in a launch...

Its not about the games... its about the hardware.... the more incentives a consumer has to easily acquire the software.... the more likely they are to buy the hardware.

This is a strange reversal considering how manufactuers usually take a hit on hardware knowing they can easily sell software to make it back.....

But for now... its about getting the hardware in the hands....
this will likely reverse later in the year.

(did that make sense to you?)[/QUOTE]

to simplify:
Sony says: "Ok EB... we'll give you a break on these games... just make sure gamers can get them easily"

EB: "Deal... we'll just use the games you gave us for next to nothing as a way to get games from idiot gamers who hand us three games they bought last month.... then WE could make TRIPLE the cost of one of those games!"

(like... if some genius traded in Halo 2.... Splinter Cell 3 ... and God of War because they "were done with them"..... yeah... there ARE people like that)

Sony: "Great! The easier it is for gamers to get our games... the more hardware will move giving us a large install base later in the year when we change up and make money off new games!"

EB: "Sounds great to me! They can buy all that from us!"

Sony & EB : *meniacal laughter*

CAGers: *rolls eyes, laughs harder*

[quote name='joystickz']to simplify:
Sony says: "Ok EB... we'll give you a break on these games... just make sure gamers can get them easily"

EB: "Deal... we'll just use the games you gave us for next to nothing as a way to get games from idiot gamers to hand us three games they bought last month.... then WE could make TRIPLE the cost of one of those games!"

(like... if some genius traded in Halo 2.... Splinter Cell 3 ... and God of War because the "were done with them"..... yeah... there ARE people like that)

Sony: "Great! The easier it is for gamers to get our games... the more hardware will move giving us a large install base later in the year when we change up and make money off new games!"

EB: "Sounds great to me! They can buy all that from us!"

Sony & EB : *meniacal laughter*

CAGers: *rolls eyes, laughs harder*[/QUOTE]

LOL That's probably not far from the truth.:p

Those of you that can trade in multiples of a game at once and return games for credit are really lucky.

I picked up 4 copies of Hitman Contracts and 2 copies of Syphon Filter (both PS2) and I couldn't trade them in all in one day because they won't take multiples. I had to use another third game for today (Splinter Cell for GC). So now I have to go and find five more games to trade in AND I have to go back tomorrow, the day after, and the day after that. (Yes, 3 more times)

After I get those PSP games, I'll have around 7 PSP games that I'll have to BS them off to Wal-Mart somehow...

:whistle2:(

[quote name='Vinny']LOL That's probably not far from the truth.:p

Those of you that can trade in multiples of a game at once and return games for credit are really lucky.

I picked up 4 copies of Hitman Contracts and 2 copies of Syphon Filter (both PS2) and I couldn't trade them in all in one day because they won't take multiples. I had to use another third game for today (Splinter Cell for GC). So now I have to go and find five more games to trade in AND I have to go back tomorrow, the day after, and the day after that. (Yes, 3 more times)

After I get those PSP games, I'll have around 7 PSP games that I'll have to BS them off to Wal-Mart somehow...

:whistle2:([/QUOTE]

well whatta ya know....

here's the EB CEO explaining a bit himself ----> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/30/news_6121334.html

[quote name='EB CEO INTERVIEW'] GS: Can you take readers inside those meetings with Sony, where allocation was discussed? Is it always a tense subject? What does Sony look for from its retail partners?

JG: We've had a very long and healthy relationship with Sony. I think we both know each other's strengths, and they've always identified us as a retailer that does very well introducing new technology.

I feel like the allocation we received for launch was fair, based upon the size of the company.

GS: Any reaction to EB sell-through from Sony.

JG: I think Sony was very pleased with our sell-through over the weekend, and I think they're very pleased with our high ratio of software sales. So I think that they'll look at that overall performance, and I think that we should feel pretty confident that we'll continue to get a pretty nice allocation of the follow-up shipments.

I think our relationship with them has always been very professional, and it's been very much centered around how we work together to build the business for both of us. I think if a company like EB didn't exist, it would probably cost them a lot more money in marketing to help introduce their products. [/QUOTE]

eerily accurate....

that last line explains the whole deal....

[quote name='EB CEO']I think if a company like EB didn't exist, it would probably cost them a lot more money in marketing to help introduce their products. [/QUOTE]

just went to toys r us and picked up 2 jampack vol 11s and went to eb to trade them in along with another game and they would not take the jampacks..

[quote name='Technique']just went to toys r us and picked up 2 jampack vol 11s and went to eb to trade them in along with another game and they would not take the jampacks..[/QUOTE]

did you read ANYTHING in the last 5 pages?

jampacks have been kaput for a week and a half now.

PLEASE read before you complain.

we warned you all.

(they still sealed? just return 'em to TRU)

I did the trade-in deal, here is how $$$$ing good I did:

Went to Movie Gallery, they had buy 2 get 2 free deal. Only two games that aren't on the list were Start Trek Shattered Galaxy and Medabots Infinity and they had a metric $$$$TON of both.

I now have 8 PSP games (still no PSP though) = $320

Traaded in a total of 24 used games that costed = $100

My Profit = +$230

Cha CHING!

Suffice it to say, I felt like a dirty bastard doing it but it was good dirty. Traded in 12 at a time. First time, some chick did it for me. Came back today to do it again and some fat slob denied me saying he wouldn't accept more then one copy of the game nor any game I brought in. I placed a curse of Heart Attack +5 on his fat ass and called up another EB games and was gold.

ADVICE: the best advice I can tell anyone trying to do this, is call them up FIRST before you go in with like the same copy of the game. I used the "I am an Ebay/Auction game Wholesaler and I bought a 500 lot of used games and unfortunately happened to have X amount of shitty game, is it possible to trade in?"

I guarantee gold if you use that excuse.

Also carry in the PO sheet, I did and saved me alot of time and money.

Now I will be trading in of those games for a total of $240 dollars store credit, and will be buying a PSP for 10 bucks with 2 games, Wipeout and Twisted Metal.

Just got to find an EBGames with the PSP is $$$$ing instock.

[quote name='webcamjenna']What games have you guys been trading you that I can buy for very cheap? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Stop being a slacker and research pages 38-42... :)

I'm now thinking that I should hit up that other EBgames. I'll have to call them and ask if they accept multiple copies of a game.

[quote name='Kayday']Local for me also. I just came back from getting store credit at Berkeley & Emeryville. Too bad the Berkeley store doesn't do the 3 for 1 PSP promo.[/QUOTE]

i work at the rockridge store in oakland and sometimes i'm sent to work at the berkeley store on shattuck (hang out at the one on teleagraph a lot). i'm pretty sure they do the promo unless i'm mistake because i got my wipeout pure through that promo at the telegraph store and i was advertising it at the shattuck store...

[quote name='vietgurl']i work at the rockridge store in oakland and sometimes i'm sent to work at the berkeley store on shattuck (hang out at the one on teleagraph a lot). i'm pretty sure they do the promo unless i'm mistake because i got my wipeout pure through that promo at the telegraph store and i was advertising it at the shattuck store...[/QUOTE]

Yea I can vouch for the Telegraph store doing the promo. They even have the flyers if you need them.

hey, quick question because i cant seem to remember if these games are pox off the top of my head and i'm looking at the outdated exclusion list from ebgames.com. i know that hitman contracts is not pox, are hitman 1 and 2 pox?

ok, so I just spent the last 4 hours reading EVERY single page and EVERY single post of this thread. I feel very tired. I am proudof myself though, for now I have the knowledge to go out tomorrow, and exploit this deal to the bitter end. Thank you For whoever the original Poster is, I forgot already, as I am half asleep..and the guy with the red and white avatar who posted prolly 50 times.... CAG is about to get me a PSP for under $100 plus a bunch of games. I love you guys so much! and I have a question, what do you suggest I do with my DOA:U XBOX??? I was there last night and it was worth $12.. So Any advice?

[quote name='vietgurl']hey, quick question because i cant seem to remember if these games are pox off the top of my head and i'm looking at the outdated exclusion list from ebgames.com. i know that hitman contracts is not pox, are hitman 1 and 2 pox?[/QUOTE]

I bet Hitman 1 is toast. I traded in 2 Hitman 2s PS2 a couple of months ago (nearly free copies from TRU) for $12.50 each during a different promo . . . might still work.

I should try to score some more on this deal . . . but I'm feeling too lazy to make all the trips to stores necessary.

[quote name='Renegade_Zero']ok, so I just spent the last 4 hours reading EVERY single page and EVERY single post of this thread. I feel very tired. I am proudof myself though, for now I have the knowledge to go out tomorrow, and exploit this deal to the bitter end. Thank you For whoever the original Poster is, I forgot already, as I am half asleep..and the guy with the red and white avatar who posted prolly 50 times.... CAG is about to get me a PSP for under $100 plus a bunch of games. I love you guys so much! and I have a question, what do you suggest I do with my DOA:U XBOX??? I was there last night and it was worth $12.. So Any advice?[/QUOTE]

your welcome.

....and.

as for DOA:U....

if its already worth $12 at EB.... i'd MAYBE trade it in straight up as a preowned game without being part of the 3 for 1 PSP promo.

the reason the promo is so good is because it bumps tradeins normally valued at 25 cents up for 13.33 to pay for a third of a $40 game.

do all your elcheapo games first... then... if you're a bit short...
just trade in DOAU on its own for the 12 credit.

Bloodrayne on ps2 dropped to $7.99, not sure it it's still PO but Rygar used is $7.99 and was PO last week.

Also, while searching for PO games yesterday at eb, I noticed that the Star Wars/Tetris worlds bundle was labeled PO, so that could work out well if you find some place dumping them for cheap.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Will they take Freestyle Street Soccer from Blockbuster? I don't see it on the exclusion list, but since it's an exclusive I wasn't sure. [/QUOTE]

Did anyone ever find out about this one? a local BB had $5 copies of this for Xbox and GC . . . I guess I can call later.

has anyone tried Freestyle Street Soccer?

bread's done
Back