Defiance (MMO) Discussion Thread - Xbox 360

I know this is a MMO but does it play like Borderlands outside its a 3rd person shooter? A lot of people say if u like BL then u would enjoy this. I played the hell out of BL and it is one of my fav games so im on the fence about Defiance. If it is similar to BL then I will prob pick it up.

It is like BL in the fact that you have an open world, you can build your character how you like, has lots of guns and gear, missions to do this and that... but it is much different as well. I am about 4 hours in or so and so far I like it, i am not blown away yet, but still have a lot to learn about it. If you got friends on, i think it would be a blast even more.

So I was sent a preorder code from triton today. I have a question about the 3 hr double xp(or however long it is), is there anywhere to track this?

i guess there is a ticker, in the character menu there is a thing that tracks any buffs of bonuses you have. Make sure to go here and get the codes, then go here and enter em. Once all 120 (yes 120) of them are in, go in game to the store and claim them. you get some nice perks, good guns, and extra inventory slots.

[quote name='Vap']Does the game seem well populated? Are you randomly running into other players while questing?[/QUOTE]

Very populated and yes, I run into others doing the same quests all the time.

This game isn't half bad. Color me pleasantly surprised. And can anyone enlighten me on how to quit out of the game? I couldn't find it after 5 minutes of searching all the menus and I just dashboarded out.

[quote name='panda911']This game isn't half bad. Color me pleasantly surprised. And can anyone enlighten me on how to quit out of the game? I couldn't find it after 5 minutes of searching all the menus and I just dashboarded out.[/QUOTE]

Playing on PS3, but it should be the same.

Hit the menu and then hold the LT. It'll bring up a radial menu of more menus. Log off is in the settings but I believe there's also a button you can press in that radial menu that logs you off as well.

Indignate is correct, on 360 you hold the Left Trigger while in a menu then just hit X to log out, I don't know if dashboarding out in this game has a chance of messing with anything or not but I tend to log out just in case.

[quote name='Vap']Does the game seem well populated? Are you randomly running into other players while questing?[/QUOTE]

I usually always see a fair amount of people, and if you look on their forums there are the most posters on the 360 board. I know that's not anything official to go by but it shows there's at least a fair amount of people playing on the system.

[quote name='Freemason']i guess there is a ticker, in the character menu there is a thing that tracks any buffs of bonuses you have. Make sure to go here and get the codes, then go here and enter em. Once all 120 (yes 120) of them are in, go in game to the store and claim them. you get some nice perks, good guns, and extra inventory slots.[/QUOTE]

Well I finally got them all put in. Glad I did because there are definitely some nice perks. Thanks!

[quote name='Brother Daz']Well I finally got them all put in. Glad I did because there are definitely some nice perks. Thanks![/QUOTE]

no problem. I am mixed on the game at the moment. I like it, but it is very middle of the road on tons of MMO aspects. I am specced as a Combat medic with Decoy to basically be able to get to fallen teamates, survive in combat, and rez the team. Problem being, in about 15+ hours so far, have never used the skills once other than my healing gun (which rock btw). I am a long time native to MMO's since 1996 on and off. This game lacks depth. Lots of it.

however! i do enjoy it, like being able to flip on the xbox and roam around, and think it will flesh out more at higher level stuff. I have found that an easy way to max rewards on Arkfalls is to use the quest truck you get from red haired monkey chick and just drive it in circles plowing everything, i got my driving skill up to 8 in one arkfall and was #2 overall at the end, over double the next guys kills at 224 and just under 10k less damage... and never left the vehicle.

A lot of stuff is hard to navigate, chat is non existent for the most part, items and mods are not working right yet, and there is and probably will be no trading community as it will be a pay to win on items in lockbox purchases. I am excited to try group encounters as i think individuals will shine more in skill set ups but as of right now it is just a dodge and spam bullets affair on everything. Kinda like an Alpha Protocol feel of potential but just isn't there yet.

I will keep pluggin away at it and am sure will get more than my $60 out of it, but i will check back when more stuff is ironed out and implemented and share more opinion then.

I'm playing this on PC and I'm enjoying the shit out of it. I really like the random arkfall crystal thing events, it makes traveling around the world more exciting. Yesterday I was doing a side quest rescuing people when all of a sudden a crystal crashed down next to me and Hellbugs started coming out of nowhere. Before I knew it, 5 other ark hunters drove in on their ATVs and helped me complete it.

Glad to hear it's working good on Xbox, I haven't had any problems on PC.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Blockbuster also has it for rent[/QUOTE]

Almost all of the Blockbuster stores in STL are closed. There's more Family Video stores now than Blockbuster.

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm playing this on PC and I'm enjoying the shit out of it. I really like the random arkfall crystal thing events, it makes traveling around the world more exciting. Yesterday I was doing a side quest rescuing people when all of a sudden a crystal crashed down next to me and Hellbugs started coming out of nowhere. Before I knew it, 5 other ark hunters drove in on their ATVs and helped me complete it.

Glad to hear it's working good on Xbox, I haven't had any problems on PC.[/QUOTE]

How many have you done? there are only 6 and after doing them all about 4 times... get ollllllldddddd fast lol. I still do them for the XP and stuff.. but i think i am having more fun ramping stuff in the 4 Wheeler.. feels like I am playing PURE lol.

[quote name='Freemason']How many have you done? there are only 6 and after doing them all about 4 times... get ollllllldddddd fast lol. I still do them for the XP and stuff.. but i think i am having more fun ramping stuff in the 4 Wheeler.. feels like I am playing PURE lol.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I've only done one minor and one major. Maybe I will get bored with them, but they're a cool change of pace at the moment.

I've played through a bunch of arkfalls, probably 15 major and a ton of minor. I still have fun doing them but really don't go out of my way to do them anymore. I also play with a group of friends so there's always that competition between us to see who places higher on the leaderboard.

[quote name='Brother Daz']I've played through a bunch of arkfalls, probably 15 major and a ton of minor. I still have fun doing them but really don't go out of my way to do them anymore. I also play with a group of friends so there's always that competition between us to see who places higher on the leaderboard.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, it isn't bad, it is still fun and a good couple hour time sink to pull me away from ME3 for a change of pace. I am sure if Trion does it anything like Rift (which i played for a while up to all raid content) they will add more and get more stuff rollin. I think more than anything once the show takes off, if it is good, we will see a lot more stuff happening.

[quote name='panda911']What's the purple swirl elemental?[/QUOTE]

I've heard it drains health and shields but I've never noticed anything that dramatic myself. I'll have to test it later.

And what are synergy mods?
They unlock extra perks on weapons associated with a particular synergy. The number next to the synergy perk is the required number of equipped related mods necessary to activate said perk.

[quote name='Example']LOL SPECIAL N00b CANNON

Synergy: Troll Extraordinaire

[1] -15% Grammar, +8% Annoyance while rolling/crouching
[2] +751 Damage Reduction when teabagging incapacitated allies
[3] +420 Melee Damage, 30% Melee strike speed at critical health
[4] +25 Health Regen, 35% Explosive DMG while jumping or under fire[/QUOTE]

All of those perks are nothing more than flavor text until you've modded a "Troll Extraordinaire" scope, barrel, mag or stock into the weapon to activate one. The perks remain active until the mods are removed so if you want them all you've got to slot in the max. You can try your luck by finding them out in the world or buying caches from vendors for a random chance of getting something decent.

If you're gunning for better odds with a specific type however you'll have to earn company reputation to buy those caches which can only earned through the Contract system. I'm pretty sure it unlocks for players around 250+ EGO.

Finally got everything set up last night so if anyone wants to play some time feel free to add me to your friend's list. I'm up for joining a clan too if we get a good group of people together.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Finally got everything set up last night so if anyone wants to play some time feel free to add me to your friend's list. I'm up for joining a clan too if we get a good group of people together.[/QUOTE]

I'm on my phone so I can't see your gamertag, could you post it? I'm on every night around 9pm MT

Edit-here is another site for all the data recorders. I like this one a little better. The guy puts up three photos for each one; one with the map location, one with the building and then one of the recorder itself. From the same site you can also find detailed information on all the current daily and weekly contracts. I have found it to be a big help with the contracts.

http://www.etaew.net/defiance/data-recorders.php

Main site page with contracts
http://www.etaew.net/defiance/

Last edited by a moderator:
also been playing a bunch lately, would be down for a CAG clan, im at 350ish EGO and dabbling in the PVP stuff and working through episode 4. My Explosives 101 coop mission is bugged with empty zone and unspawning boss no matter how many times i reload it, but i still need the Mine 99 coop to do and am going to start knocking out side missions. Still enjoying it, will get my money out of it for sure. it get better with time but does need a lot more info available on what things are, what they do, how they work, etc.

There is a guy on the official defiance forums that has put together a strategy guide. It's packed with a ton of great info. You should check it out. I'm on my phone now but can post a link a little later.

I am still loving this game. I'm at around 600 Ego and finished the single & episode missions available so far. I still want to find other players to play a full team and knockout some co-op missions.

anyone interested in making the CAG clan for this, send me an Xbox message and i will add to friends if not already. I can go ahead and start one and get it rollin so we have a stable play base to shoot crap with.

Name is open to suggestions, i was thinking something with CAG in it, letters or otherwise.

[quote name='Freemason']anyone interested in making the CAG clan for this, send me an Xbox message and i will add to friends if not already. I can go ahead and start one and get it rollin so we have a stable play base to shoot crap with.

Name is open to suggestions, i was thinking something with CAG in it, letters or otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Interested in joining if this gets going.

Suggestion CAGamers

I'm down to join a CAG clan. The guys I'm in a clan with now have all pretty much gone back to blops2 so I need to get into a active clan.

Edit-Matt I got your pm from a few days ago, I'll add you tonight.

Just saw that Amazon price matched Best Buy for $49.99
Are there a lot of people still playing the game?

I ordered it tonight. Looking forward it. i am everquest 1 vet (played hardcore 7 years) and currently a 6 year vet on lord of the rings online. Took advantage of a amazon trade in promo and paid $5.00 out of pocket.

[quote name='tukai']I ordered it tonight. Looking forward it. i am everquest 1 vet (played hardcore 7 years) and currently a 6 year vet on lord of the rings online. Took advantage of a amazon trade in promo and paid $5.00 out of pocket.[/QUOTE]

and yeah old EQ1 vet here, played on and off since release until last year, Rift, EQ2, CoH/CoV, LotRO, and others. It is not a typical MMO and does lack a lot of depth, but i find it a good time sink and fun with friends. I think I am going to form up the CAG Guild here tonight or tomorrow just to get a few more of us rollin together.

[quote name='Freemason']and yeah old EQ1 vet here, played on and off since release until last year, Rift, EQ2, CoH/CoV, LotRO, and others. It is not a typical MMO and does lack a lot of depth, but i find it a good time sink and fun with friends. I think I am going to form up the CAG Guild here tonight or tomorrow just to get a few more of us rollin together.[/QUOTE]

Played for a few hours tonight. It's not EQ in it's hey day that's for sure, but I'll join a CAG clan.

bread's done
Back