Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='happy']Just beat 5-2 and 5-3 (those were some easy bosses)

What's the deal with the plague pit in the 5-3 boss fight, I want to get the items in there but the plague kills me really fast. Should I just jump onto the item grab it die and leave the souls?[/QUOTE]

If you have Istarelle (special weapon from 5-1) you can wield that and not get hit too quickly with the plague. Just use the plague curing herb and healing herbs and you should be fine. I walked all through it with little trouble. I did make sure to take out all the plague babies or whatever those hideous things are with arrows first. They tend to gang up on you and hit you from behind if you go there without taking them out. And besides, you can get to most of the items by falling down the part where you first come in. I think only one or two are actually in the swamp.

[quote name='Pecan']Just finished my first play through tonight as a lvl 79 barbarian.[/QUOTE]

I just finished it tonight myself. I was planning on farming and upgrading more weapons and stuff first but my son wanted to see the end so I went for it. I was level 96 though ;). Hopefully I won't have too much trouble with the NG+ given that I kind of went overboard on the levels there.

If anyone is near my level and has the foe's ring let me know. Chibi, I'm still trying to catch up to you to borrow the bladetstone weapon. I think that's the only one I didn't get a pure stone for. Hell, I didn't even get a chunk! I did get like 48 shards though for some reason.

As for the final boss:
Wow, what a pathetic end boss. And I don't mean that as a slight on the game. It made sense in the context of the story. I just meant he was really pathetic, in a sad way.

So I have a couple of questions about NG+. I don't want to get invaded while on 1-1 in the NG+ as I'm carrying 100,000+ souls from the endgame and don't want to mess with that. Two issues: can I just kill myself in the Nexus and go back and claim souls there? For whatever reason I'm worried that won't work as everyone warns you to play offline for the first level in NG+ since you are in body form. My other question - how the hell do you choose not to play online? I see nothing in the options or setting to turn it off. Can you just log off PSN bfore starting the game? Sure, I could just turn off my wireless router, but that's sort of a severe method - was hoping there was an easier way.

[quote name='Count']Any site where I can find tricks to get all the upgrade trophies quick?[/QUOTE]
I posted the dupe bug yesterday, but I guess nobody noticed. You can dupe the stones you need with another player to get the upgraded weapons. That or just find someone your level that has the weapons you need for the trophy. You only need to hold each item in your inventory once, so for all unique weapons/rings/etc you can get them from different people.

[quote name='io']If anyone is near my level and has the foe's ring let me know. Chibi, I'm still trying to catch up to you to borrow the bladetstone weapon. I think that's the only one I didn't get a pure stone for. Hell, I didn't even get a chunk! I did get like 48 shards though for some reason.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to catch up no problem now. Since I got the platinum, I'm done with the game (for a long time, at least), but I'll hop to help you with some trophies.

I finished this a few days ago as lvl 86 too.

I can't express how much I hate that final boss. He's quick, strong, most of his attacks are unblock-able. I had to resort to cheap method of Poison Cloud to finally kill him >.>

Overall this game was pretty fun, challenging, though sometime it can get you pretty frustrated. It is great though if you have some friend you can always co-op with, it just make the boss fights easier.

^^ And just to be clear, when I mentioned the final boss in my spoiler I meant the one after the one you are talking about ;). I didn't want to mess with 1-4's soulsucker attack so I just did the poison cloud thing myself too.

[quote name='SynGamer']I assume you simply sign out of PSN before starting the game up.[/QUOTE]

Yes. And when the game prompts you to login, just cancel through and it will start the game in offline mode.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. My cable was out one night and that's pretty much what it did by default. I've just never chosen to sign out of PSN voluntarily. I wasn't even sure you could do that :lol:.

Has anyone else had some strange glitches online where all of a sudden you feel really lonely in the game and then you realize all the white phantoms, bloodstains, and messages are gone? This has happened to me 2 or 3 times without it ever losing my PSN or Demon's Souls server connection. I'm still "online" according to the game - can put down blue stones and all that. But all the signs of online activity are gone. If I quit and restart it all comes back though. Of course I've also had the connection lost where it makes you quit to the title screen (highly annoying though thankfully it has only happened like 4 or 5 times in my 80+ hours of gameplay with at least 75 of that online).

I'm looking forward to my NG+ 1-1 runthrough tonight. I really wanted to do it last night but I had to wait till today because I promised my son I'd let him see it. He always asks me what each level boss is and was disappointed he couldn't see Phalanx (as you can't help on that one). Speaking of helping, I've had little luck getting in as a blue phantom recently. Either no one ever summons me (and I've tried 4-2, 4-3, 5-2, 5-3, etc) or they try to and it says "failed to join" or something like that. That message is really annoying because then you have to replace the blue stone each time. Once that happened about 5 times and then I finally got in. The bastard who summoned me then made me run all the way back to the bridge you have to knock down in 5-2 so he could do that (clearly not needing my help at all to do so), then all the way back to the boss entrance where I helped him beat the Dirty Colossus. Then he gave me a "D" rating. Wanker. I was thinking he knew too much about what to do so that must have been his NG+ even though I was only around level 70-80 or so then.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I had someone helping me on 1-1 on my NG++. The guy put his stone down right in front of the boss door. I'm not sure how it happened.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm - Well, I suppose if you can get invaded in 1-1 on NG+ then you ought to be able to help there as well.

[quote name='io']Has anyone else had some strange glitches online where all of a sudden you feel really lonely in the game and then you realize all the white phantoms, bloodstains, and messages are gone? This has happened to me 2 or 3 times without it ever losing my PSN or Demon's Souls server connection. I'm still "online" according to the game - can put down blue stones and all that. But all the signs of online activity are gone. If I quit and restart it all comes back though. Of course I've also had the connection lost where it makes you quit to the title screen (highly annoying though thankfully it has only happened like 4 or 5 times in my 80+ hours of gameplay with at least 75 of that online).[/QUOTE]
Yes, I talked about this last month and it used to happen after maybe an hour of playing. I think that's what the server maintenance was all about, because I noticed it not happening as often afterward.

Jodou and I ran into a strange glitch...we managed to join up in one game where I summoned him as a blue phantom. Then, we tried to do it again and we kept getting error messages.

Strange part is he is able to see messages/bloodstains, and he can still invade people via black stone. No one else tried to summon him though, so maybe its just a glitch b/w me and him. We're gonna wait a while and try again.

Has anyone else had experience with this? What did you do to remedy it, or did you just wait it out?

Not with a specific person like that but more often than not when I'm being summoned there are error messages and I cannot join the person who summoned me. I've been in about 4 coop sessions (as a blue phantom) but have had 15-20 or so error messages where it "failed to connect" (or something to that effect). Not a good ratio by any means... My connection is pretty solid for most other games so I don't think it's on my end.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']You should be able to catch up no problem now. Since I got the platinum, I'm done with the game (for a long time, at least), but I'll hop to help you with some trophies.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thanks, I'd appreciate it. I've done enough farming already and can't fathom farming for bladestone chunks/pure. You are 136 or so? I ended my game at 96 and have about 2 levels worth of souls in my inventory that I can cash in when I clear 1-1 in NG+. Plus I imagine I'll get a few more from that level (I always have the ring of avarice equipped now). So I think I'll catch up quick - just need to get within 25, right? I'd imagine we can do it later this week.

What other upgraded weapons do you have so I don't feel the need to mess around with those. I've already done sharpstone, hardstone, moonstone, darkmoonstone, and clearstone. Besides bladestone the ones I'm just a bit short on are marrow and faint. Suckerstone and mercury I'm so close I might as well do them myself. Also, I don't have a lot of the special upgrade weapons quite yet: just dozer axe and the needle of eternal agony. If you have any of the ones that are from the four-use demons that would be greatly appreciated (would save me a 4th playthrough).

Jodou, the duping trick wouldn't even work for me on the bladestones because I don't even have 1 chunk or pure to dupe - besides, it seems much easier just to find someone to trade/borrow items with than someone who will go through all that trouble. And now that the game is essentially broken with respect to the soul collection/leveling (the pantheon/leaderboard type stuff) I see no point in getting levels for the sake of getting levels ;).

When you guys meet up, you must pick an obscure place to drop the blue stone. Where do you usually do it?

[quote name='Saint Noir']I've gotten the error message with Chibi and others before. Just have to keep trying. Server issue?[/QUOTE]
Well that's a relief that it's not just us. Sounds like the server is just failing us right now, so we're gonna try again later.
[quote name='io']Jodou, the duping trick wouldn't even work for me on the bladestones because I don't even have 1 chunk or pure to dupe - besides, it seems much easier just to find someone to trade/borrow items with than someone who will go through all that trouble. And now that the game is essentially broken with respect to the soul collection/leveling (the pantheon/leaderboard type stuff) I see no point in getting levels for the sake of getting levels ;).

When you guys meet up, you must pick an obscure place to drop the blue stone. Where do you usually do it?[/QUOTE]We're so high level that nobody else is around to bother us. We just use the starting area's of places where a boss isn't dead yet. BTW, before the server started screwing up, I successfully duped 2x Legendary Hero's Souls lol. So it absolutely works and is easy as hell to do. Gonna try soulsucking next!

Eh it isn't an obscure place, but at like, level 200, there really aren't many people who are going to summon you. We're both around Level 220.

It's not leveling for the sake of getting levels or the leaderboard, I want to be able to beat the shit out of all the assholes who kicked my ass before. I want to penetrate the Penetrator and fuck up the False King. Only two bosses who I died on. Oh and Flamelurker, fuck him.

[quote name='io'] Also, I don't have a lot of the special upgrade weapons quite yet: just dozer axe and the needle of eternal agony. If you have any of the ones that are from the four-use demons that would be greatly appreciated (would save me a 4th playthrough).

When you guys meet up, you must pick an obscure place to drop the blue stone. Where do you usually do it?[/QUOTE]

Do you have Blueblood or Insanity Catalyst? I need both of those.

Almost any place behind an archstone is some what obscure. As long as you know the place of the meet up, you should have no issues.

[quote name='IRHari']Eh it isn't an obscure place, but at like, level 200, there really aren't many people who are going to summon you. We're both around Level 220.

It's not leveling for the sake of getting levels or the leaderboard, I want to be able to beat the shit out of all the assholes who kicked my ass before. I want to penetrate the Penetrator and fuck up the False King. Only two bosses who I died on. Oh and Flamelurker, fuck him.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Sure, I can see that. I was referring more to Jodou talking about people getting to level 700 and beyond. That just seems pointless.

As for the level 200 thing, yeah, I suppose that's why even at around 100 I have a hard time joining games now (not talking about the errors but the long periods when I don't get summoned at all). I'd imagine the falloff in active players is pretty high once you get over 75 or so.

It still amazes me how many white phantoms I see fighting late stage bosses like the False King with the starter club and small round shield combo. WTF!? I guess for white phantoms you do see all levels of players and not just those near your level, right?

[quote name='IRHari']Oh and Flamelurker, fuck him.[/QUOTE]
Lol, I should show you how I kill flamelurker; he hasn't killed me since my first game.

Let's try this bitch again and just keep summoning til it works. Red stone this time. Calisavage22 posted this on the IGN boards as well and he said that you just keep summoning the person back once they drop, so whatever we're having problems with is server related. It would explain why bloodstains and messages are dropping off really fast for me, too.

[quote name='io'] If you have any of the ones that are from the four-use demons that would be greatly appreciated (would save me a 4th playthrough).[/QUOTE]
No, I just did 3 playthroughs and got those weapons from other people.

Gah, now CAG is having server problems! WTF!

Oh yeah, do you have vent and a mic hari? This typing in PSN is driving me nuts without a keyboard lol. I'm gonna watch Californication right quick and I'll check back.

I've always had the most trouble summoning people on 3-2. It seems like most of the time there it would fail. Had minimal problems on every other level.

[quote name='Snake2715']You think this game is going to drop users after tonight?[/QUOTE]

Think tons of games will... but this one is not the biggest cross over in terms of people, so I don't think it will be TOO bad with Demon's Souls.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Think tons of games will... but this one is not the biggest cross over in terms of people, so I don't think it will be TOO bad with Demon's Souls.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, Uncharted 2 will be super dead after tonight. When it first came out, I never saw more than 13k players on and it averaged around 9k during prime-time. I've stopped playing myself because it's boring now.

[quote name='Snake2715']You think this game is going to drop users after tonight?[/QUOTE]

OK, I give up. What is it? I knoew NSMB for Wii comes out next week and that will take me away a bit. I want to play R&C which I got from Amazon upon release and haven't touched because of Demon's Souls. I'm not getting anything this week. It's not some multiplayer FPS is it? If so, yeah, not a lot of crossover I would think.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Do you have Blueblood or Insanity Catalyst? I need both of those.

Almost any place behind an archstone is some what obscure. As long as you know the place of the meet up, you should have no issues.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, missed this earlier. Nah, not yet - aren't those the 2 that are from four-use demons? Since I'm going for spells first, then miracles, then weapons I won't get those till the 4th playthrough unless I find someone to let me borrow them.

[quote name='io']Yeah, thanks, I'd appreciate it. I've done enough farming already and can't fathom farming for bladestone chunks/pure.[/QUOTE]

Soulsucker and the BP dual katana skeleton on 4-2 is clutch. Plus it's a great way to level up. Sure you could trade for it, but you miss out on the satisfaction of finally getting one after hours of farming. ;)

[quote name='SynGamer']Alright, so Freke is on 5-1 right? I take it he's somewhere after that enemy that is twice my size and can one-shot me?[/QUOTE]

3-1. Locked in a cell.

[quote name='SynGamer']Alright, so Freke is on 5-1 right? I take it he's somewhere after that enemy that is twice my size and can one-shot me?[/QUOTE]

Nah, 3-1. Locked in a cell. Key is near the end and you have to backtrack.

EDIT - BEAT by a salty tbone!

Nope, Freke is in 3-1 as the others mentioned. I gotta go there 'cause I want to buy the higher spells. I would like to finish 2-1 and maybe a couple of others first, though.

So I started my NG+ tonight. Man, most of what I tried was not too hard, but one in particular was way harder than I thought it would be (5-1). Though I even died once on Phalanx because I was locked on to his center and backed up into a horde of mini-phalanxes that I didn't know were way behind me who proceeded to pierce me from all sides. I had 150,000 souls at that point too :shock:. It was easy enough to get back there though. Then I had no problem with Phalanx if I stopped locking on and just kept them all in front of me. It did seem like he had way more mini-phalaxes and they also healed themselves a few times. I don't remember that from the first time around.

Then I thought I'd slog through 5-1 since my son fell asleep and it is kind of boring to watch that. Even those little depraved ones are nasty now, though. If I get 3 of them on me they knock all my stamina down, stagger me back, and then kill me. I also died a few times by backing off of planks into the abyss :roll:. The big guys of course are even tougher - and just when I had started to get a handle on them in the regular game. Plus some trap hit me near the end that I don't remember from the first game (rocks falling near the last walkway up to the last big guy). And then one time I made it all through there and got killed by the regular ones right before the boss. Oh well... I figured I'd do other stuff first and get a few more levels.

So I went to 3-1 to free Freke (yet again). That, in contrast, I had very little trouble with. This time around I'm keeping most of the cells locked so those annoying things don't rush out every time ;). Though since I did everything short of the black phantom and the boss (since my son would want to see them) I probably don't have to go through there much any more anyway unless I want to deal with Rydell this playthrough. I may skip the black phantom NPC stuff this time though and just concentrate on getting through the levels.

I also tried out 4-1 a bit since I remember that one being pretty hard the first time. I didn't seem to have too much trouble with the skeletons now. So for whatever reason, it seems 5-1 took a much bigger jump in difficulty than the others. Part of that is probably because it is better suited to tank-type characters and mine isn't...

Finally, I cleared out 2-1 all the way to the boss (again, stopping since my son wants to see that as well). No problems there, though a pickaxe miner did one shot me when I went around a corner and wasn't expecting him. Luckily that was really close to the starting elevator so I got back there pretty quickly.

Do you have to give Flamelurker's soul to Boldwin again in the NG+ to get him to forge special weapons? I guess I might as well go do it again, but I know it can be a pain and takes a while to get to...

Also, I'm noticing a strange thing - all my worlds are near pure white from where I left off in my last playthrough and yet I'm not getting the near-white tendency events. The 1-1 gate is closed and the red dragon showed up on that bridge of soldiers in 1-1. I hadn't seen that before since he wasn't there when I first started the game. Then the rubble was still in place near Rydell, and the ladder was not present in 5-1. I had all those things (except the gate in 1-1) cleared for me before I got to pure white in my first game - and I still seem to be there if not totally pure.

Yeah, I hadn't played since the Halloween event and everything was pure black for me. Last night: pure white everywhere. I've no idea why it's so buggy because it's absolutely random.

On a side note, I got IRHari 11 levels in about one minute using the glitch. Then the server started acting up again and we couldn't summon each other no matter where we went. We're gonna try it again tonight, but it's ridiculously easy to do and I'm looking forward to just having a maxed character that rapes face.

io, you always have to give flamelurkers soul to the blacksmith.

Also, you are not in pure white if the things aren't open. You are probably really close. It can be hard to tell sometimes. I used to think mine was glitched, but then I saw it get whiter (like Sammy Sosa).

[quote name='Saint Noir']io, you always have to give flamelurkers soul to the blacksmith.

Also, you are not in pure white if the things aren't open. You are probably really close. It can be hard to tell sometimes. I used to think mine was glitched, but then I saw it get whiter (like Sammy Sosa).[/QUOTE]

Did you watch George Lopez last night?

Anyway, I may pop this back in sometime this week between MW2 sessions. I'll try and get my souls back in 5-1 (or try to beat 5-1) and then go to 3-1 and see what Freke has to offer.

[quote name='Saint Noir']io, you always have to give flamelurkers soul to the blacksmith.

Also, you are not in pure white if the things aren't open. You are probably really close. It can be hard to tell sometimes. I used to think mine was glitched, but then I saw it get whiter (like Sammy Sosa).[/QUOTE]

Well, some of those things are not pure-white events. I know I had the ladder in 5-1 when I first played and it was nowhere near full white. Oh well, no big deal - I don't need any of that stuff this playthrough anyway. I am just going to power through this one and try to get more levels to make it easier on the next one to do the phantoms and such again. Though I should at least take on the primevil demons I suppose.

[quote name='io']Well, some of those things are not pure-white events. I know I had the ladder in 5-1 when I first played and it was nowhere near full white. Oh well, no big deal - I don't need any of that stuff this playthrough anyway. I am just going to power through this one and try to get more levels to make it easier on the next one to do the phantoms and such again. Though I should at least take on the primevil demons I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you get the colorless souls from
the crow that are super easy (talisman of god and gold mask both give colorless souls in return)

[quote name='Saint Noir']Make sure you get the colorless souls from
the crow that are super easy (talisman of god and gold mask both give colorless souls in return)
.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wish I had known about the first "push-down" plank on 5-1 as that leads to a Talisman of God - I was always trying to figure out how to get above there and drop to it and just gave up on that treasure eventually. Thus I only had one in my first playthrough (from 4-1) so I didn't want to give it to the crow. I also just found out that the woman merchant in 5-1 sells them for 5000. D'oh! Oh well, I could have had another last playthrough (I did do the mask though). I'll make sure to do it this playthrough as I now have THREE Talisman of God (got the one on 4-1 again as well last night).

So now that I will end up with extra colorless demon souls (I already have 3 in stock and have purchased the miracle that requires 3 already) what should I do with them? What is the best weapon to upgrade with them? I assume that is the only use at this point, right?

Far as I know that is it. I don't know what you want to upgrade with them. Depends on your play style. I think I am going to upgrade the adjudicator shield so it regens HP a LOT faster. 8HP/Sec with a +5 shield.

If you are big on magic maybe a kris blade or a rune sword. If you are big on faith, large sword of moonlight. Etc.

[quote name='io']So now that I will end up with extra colorless demon souls (I already have 3 in stock and have purchased the miracle that requires 3 already) what should I do with them? What is the best weapon to upgrade with them? I assume that is the only use at this point, right?[/QUOTE]

There's a miracle that requires 3 colorless demon souls, as well.

[quote name='salty tbone']There's a miracle that requires 3 colorless demon souls, as well.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='io']and have purchased the miracle that requires 3 already) [/QUOTE]
indeed

No problem salty ;).

Chibi - man, I am really trying to catch up with you but all the deaths in 5-1 last night hindered my progress. I had 2 1/2 levels of stored souls from my endgame and then got a couple more last night. So now I'm at 101 I think.

I'm going to try a bevy of bosses tonight (2-1, 3-1, Vanguard, 4-1 at least). We'll see what I get for all that and hopefully they aren't too much more difficult than before. Then maybe I'll take the shortcut through 2-2 and take on Flamelurker, though I'm not looking forward to him being toughened up. He was hard enough the first time. Maybe I'll try the "get him caught up in the bones" trick, though that ends up being harder than it sounds (because he's chasing you all over as you are trying to figure out where that is).

bread's done
Back