Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='kurrptsenate']
in 3-3, you have to learn when the dragon sees you, and when its ok to move. takes a bunch of trial and error, but I found hitting the objects once, then running back to cover works for me (granted you know when to move)
[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of 2-3. 3-3 is the spiral staircase with the 2 black phantom mind flayers. As someone else said, just make them shoot their spells while you're still partially around the bend of the spiral and the spells will hit the walls. Then fire your own spell, or (if you don't have magic for some reason) run up and attack.

[quote name='Saint Noir']I think chat would have ruined it.[/QUOTE]

Chat wouldn't have ruined the entire game, but it goes against the very design principles of the game.

The lack of chat was very very deliberate from the get go. Demon's Souls is supposed to permeate within you a feeling of isolation, despite the summoning aspects. You communicate creatively, through your character, not with your own voice, which makes keeping a careful eye on your summoned allies that much more important.

By the way, figured I'd mention that I received my replacement Demon's Souls guide in the mail last week, in case anyone hadn't received theirs yet.

I would get summon help on 4.2 ... really any time you are in trouble ... but players are generally around to summon there. A good summon helper will just loot with bows on a lot of the tougher enemies and stretches.

I hate 5.x. My hearts sinks just thinking about poison, swamps, and giant trolls. I finally just put on the thief ring and sneaked by the harder parts. I need to go there to get the moonlight sword for my faith build and I'm avoiding it.

as long as you take the giant trolls on when you're on land, they're not too bad. bait a swing, get two hits in, roll back.

its the black phantom trolls that can 1 shot ya

I really can't summon anyone right now because I'm not in body form and I don't have any items that will return me to body form. That's why I was hoping to get through 3-3 or 5-2 so I could return to body then summon someone to help me defeat 4-2. I have NO problem getting past the skeletons with huge swords, just the damn rays that get shot at me. I have been to the boss but man that thing is an absolute beast, I have no idea if I could ever beat that thing by myself.

if you're super weak, the easiest way to get your body back is to invade a hard level, run to the end, and wait for the host to die. go get a sandwich or something. if he makes it to you and kills you, oh well, try again. hosts die from falling / NPC enemies / etc pretty often.

Wow, I cant believe I haven't been paying attn, but Ive been using all the boss's souls that I beat in stats, and didnt realize you can actually gain better weapons by giving them to the blacksmith.

Random night tonight! I beat two bosses in the matter of 30 minutes. Though im trying to talk to ed to give him the souls but hes not taking them! I have the 2-1 boss soul trying to get a bow, and the 4-1 boss soul, trying to get a meat cleaver. How do you get him to take them?

You have to beat the flamelurker (2.2 red hot demon's soul) and then you talk to him until he asks for it. Then, you'll be able to forge weapons from Demon's Souls.

Remember, most weapons need to be upgraded pretty high before you can use the soul. For example, I used the 2.1 boss soul for a lava bow, but my first bow had to be +6 or so. I think the meat cleaver can be made from a non-upgraded club, though.

I'm trying to decide if I should beat the final boss and move to new game ++ or hang out in my current game and forge weapons etc for awhile.

I'm a 36 sl barb, what weapon do you guys think I should be going for? LIke end all, be all weapon. Should it be two handed or use a shield with 1h? I know theres only so many weapons i nthis game, but I'm not quite sure what armor and weapons I should be going for. I think i already messed up my stats :p

my original plan with my female char was to immitate miralda's setup entirely, the dragon guillotine axe is great pvp, but no matter what path you take the short range makes it tough to use pvm.. i found that falchion did similar damage, had equally fast attack speed, but worked better with a shield and gave better range... guillotine axe definitely looks cooler though

[quote name='kurrptsenate']depends where you concentrate your stat points. your class means nothing in this game[/QUOTE]

I focus putting everything in strength/vitality and sometimes dex. i did put 3 pts into intelligence just to remember 1 spell slot but thats pretty much it.

the absolute best strength heavy build is the dragon bone smasher, obtained from 2-3 with perfect white world tendency.

the weapon is probably the hardest in the game to master, based on its slow animation, but there's a reason that people in the PvP tournaments habitually win with this weapon.

A good "noob" weapon is the mirdan hammer, which anyone could look "good" when using. Breaks guards like a champ. Just remember to two hand the thing. make sure to make it a "crushing" mirdan with a strength build. gets a huge boost from having a decent strength stat, and only that.

most pvp builds are at about 120, so base your end game on this if you like PvP

[quote name='Koggit']my original plan with my female char was to immitate miralda's setup entirely, the dragon guillotine axe is great pvp, but no matter what path you take the short range makes it tough to use pvm.. i found that falchion did similar damage, had equally fast attack speed, but worked better with a shield and gave better range... guillotine axe definitely looks cooler though[/QUOTE]

its a great weapon for sure, but I found the dragon variety to actually be one of the worst. you can't enchant it and it doesn't get a good stat boost like the faith blessed variety or the strength crushing (which can be enchanted)

a decent end build with the guillotine is nice. I prefer the two hand for this weapon for sure

The fire stun is what helps it so much IMO, not really the damage... there's definitely better options to maximize your damage, but the Dragon's momentary stun coupled with Guillotine Axe's fast attack speed allows you to fully deplete your stamina bar without fear of counter-strikes

there is some slight chip there, which is alright, but if you want to deplete their stamina without worrying about yours, try the mirdan hammer lol

my brother was super-pro-guillotine until he tried that. its almost unfair as a decent end will allow you 5-6 swings with it. most players and pvp get stun locked with absolutely no recourse and has a much longer range than the guillotine.

edit: and again, I cannot reiterate the fact you cannot enchant it enough. you wouldnt believe the difference

I just forced myself to go pure black to get 1-1 door to open and I killed executioner miralda and got the guilloteen axe

got the brushwood armor too :D

edit: I'm one big ass guy now lol. The armor is too huge. The axe is cool though.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']
the weapon is probably the hardest in the game to master, based on its slow animation, but there's a reason that people in the PvP tournaments habitually win with this weapon.
[/QUOTE]
I've seen more people win with a War Scythe or Ignite/Soul Light combo than the Dragon Biscuit in these "tournaments."

[quote name='orbit18']I just forced myself to go pure black to get 1-1 door to open and I killed executioner miralda and got the guilloteen axe

got the brushwood armor too :D[/QUOTE]

if you can get the old doran set from 1-1, its infinitely better. low weight and no endurance regen drawback. I used the guillotine for a while, but preferred other weapons after a ton of play testing

Nope.

*Um, Orbit did you change your question or did I miss read it?. I could have sworn it was about if you could get to Doran without the key. Anyway, you get the key from killing Ostarva anytime you meet him or waiting for him to suicide in world 1-4. Then just go to 1-1 to the tower areas where you face the blue eyed knight the first time. There should be a corridor west of him (assuming you face his direction), where a red knight should be. He guards the door the Doran.

Last edited by a moderator:
the easiest/fastest way is to kill the guy with the rune set in 1-1, get his key, find the red knight, kill him, and he's through the mausoleum door. It will probably be your hardest fight of the game unless you cheat and use death/poison cloud on him

[quote name='Supplice']I've seen more people win with a War Scythe or Ignite/Soul Light combo than the Dragon Biscuit in these "tournaments."[/QUOTE]

war scythe is basically a mirdan and they are all using hyper mode, which is pretty gay imo

[quote name='Supplice']Nope.

*Um, Orbit did you change your question or did I miss read it?. I could have sworn it was about if you could get to Doran without the key. Anyway, you get the key from killing Ostarva anytime you meet him or waiting for him to suicide in world 1-4. Then just go to 1-1 to the tower areas where you face the blue eyed knight the first time. There should be a corridor west of him (assuming you face his direction), where a red knight should be. He guards the door the Doran.[/QUOTE]

I did change it because I figured there was no way to get there without the key. Thanks for the answer though.

edit: if I rescued ostrava in 1-1, will he still be there for me to kill him to get the key?

[quote name='orbit18']
edit: if I rescued ostrava in 1-1, will he still be there for me to kill him to get the key?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if he stays in 1-1 because I haven't gone back to see if he was still there taking his walking path. Usually he just moves on to 1-2 after you rescue him and finishing 1-1.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']what version?

its a good weapon, but there is like 6-8 versions of it, depending how you upgrade it at the 2-1 blacksmith[/QUOTE]

I have zero idea. I'm not far enough yet to get super weapons. I'm not worried about doing PvP stuff at this point, so I'm just going to go through and trial and error everything.

This game is awesome.

[quote name='Supplice']I'm not sure if he stays in 1-1 because I haven't gone back to see if he was still there taking his walking path. Usually he just moves on to 1-2 after you rescue him and finishing 1-1.[/QUOTE]

Ostrava should be in the Nexus after you finish 1-1, I find it best not to kill him until you get the Mephistopheles assassination quest so you can get Talisman of the Beast,

you can't get the key from him unless you kill him in the first arch stone, or during the mephistopholes assassination missions if you have perfect dark character tendency. she'll appear on the second floor in the middle

I'll probably just wait for the assasination mission. Well that took about 10 mins to get tired of the brushwood armor. I'm already sick of walking so slow.

Wait until you've boosted your endurance. That's what I'm doing with the brushwood set for now. I'm using a mix of fluted armor and the black leather set, with either the steel or purple flame shield. Works pretty well, and my mobility is intact.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Wait until you've boosted your endurance. That's what I'm doing with the brushwood set for now. I'm using a mix of fluted armor and the black leather set, with either the steel or purple flame shield. Works pretty well, and my mobility is intact.[/QUOTE]

Purple flame shield is beastly, I remember dying so many times trying to get it from the red dragon at 1-1. If anyone needs help item duping, pm me. I already beaten and platinum the game but happy to help out. I'm at SL145.

Easier just to get pure white tendency in world 1 (if you missed the Valentine's event - that was the bext time to do it). Then the dragons are gone and you can loot their nest easily.

[quote name='hqn101']Purple flame shield is beastly, I remember dying so many times trying to get it from the red dragon at 1-1. [/QUOTE]

For anyone else that wants those items without much hassle. My strategy was luring the red dragon onto the bridge to fry the enemies. Run away to the section that leads to the Dragon area, but don't go past the first window which you should see the Red Dragon flying overhead. He'll still think your there and do another fire run, and that is the time you should take off your equipment to go grab the stuff by the dragon area except the two items guarded by the Blue Dragon's tail. You can still get them, but they require timing to dodge the Blue Dragon's tail. Or you could just wait until you get PWT.

Im wondering if this is a game I should just grab now for full price, if it might be harder to find in a few months.. or would it be cheaper? I have a bit of a backlog but seeing as it's Atlus I'm thinking maybe I should just grab it?

I can't make recommendations on price, and I don't know what's in your backlog, but I definitely recommend playing this game soon while there are a lot of players online. Online vs offline experience makes a world of difference.

[quote name='Backlash']I can't make recommendations on price, and I don't know what's in your backlog, but I definitely recommend playing this game soon while there are a lot of players online. Online vs offline experience makes a world of difference.[/QUOTE]

yeah, price aside, play the game soon so you can play with other people.

All right guys. My final character is a faith build. I now have Istarelle, the Meat Cleaver, and the Sword of Moonlight (I have enough strength to use the Cleaver two-handed only but I figure that's how most do). They all scale well with faith.

I like Istarelle for a primary weapon when exploring. But which one should I switch to or use for fighting off PvP invaders?

[quote name='rothgar24']All right guys. My final character is a faith build. I now have Istarelle, the Meat Cleaver, and the Sword of Moonlight (I have enough strength to use the Cleaver two-handed only but I figure that's how most do). They all scale well with faith.

I like Istarelle for a primary weapon when exploring. But which one should I switch to or use for fighting off PvP invaders?[/QUOTE]
SoM ignores block, so it's big with PVPers. I use it myself and have never lost a fight. Only fought one other person using it, but he screwed up trying to cast a spell and I moved in for the kill. Cleaver is another popular choice, but I find it too slow to compete. Never fought anyone using it, so I can't really comment on how easy it is to dodge.

bread's done
Back