Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='lokizz']i thought so but i came close to beating him the other day even parried him once and atacked but the bastard survived it. oh well since i know i can come back later ill do that and save myself a broken controller. btw in that same level theres an area with
a hole in he ground and some kind of swirly blue stuff in it whats the deal with that?
[/QUOTE]
The underside of that hole is a PW/PB Tendency event.
I'm pretty sure if you jump down the hole you die, but if you get down there an alternate way, that opens when the world tendency is Pure White or Pure Black, then stays open all the time, you'll find a named NPC and all the way down the hole is a really heavy set of armor.

[quote name='lokizz']i thought so but i came close to beating him the other day even parried him once and atacked but the bastard survived it. oh well since i know i can come back later ill do that and save myself a broken controller. btw in that same level theres an area with
a hole in he ground and some kind of swirly blue stuff in it whats the deal with that?
[/QUOTE]

Just use the Game FAQs method:
Go down the staircase behind the blue-eyed knight (the one with the locked gate at the bottom). Clear out all the enemies in the level 1st. Do not break the two barrels near the top the the staircase. Let the Red knight chase you until you get to the spiral staircase, and squeeze past the barrels. Stand on the platform at about 45 degrees from the barrels. The knight usually will try to go straight for you, instead of dodging the barrels, and he'll fall to his death.
I used this technique to grind at the beginning to be able to afford the weapons I needed to be able to get past the beginning of the game.

If you just have to fight him melee, I usually dodge when he lunges at me, then I stick him with my spear. He'll give you around 2000 souls, so it's pretty sweet when you're just starting out.

Also, the game isn't cheap, you just have to know the tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question about New Game+. I want to level my character up so that he can wear some of the Fancy Armor that I got through my first play-though. So if I level up my equipment capacity and strength, will it have any negative effects on my ability to use bows and magic?

yeah ok i think im getting the hang of things now. just finished the first boss but gt my ass handed to me by a damn
dragon
. and now that i know that knight is worth so much im gonna go kill his ass lol. this game is really fun kind of like playing one of those old choose your own adventure books.

lokizz
FYI, if you do not yet have the Mausoleum key (gained from a sidequest), then there is no point in killing the Red Eyed knight in the first level as without that key it is a dead end.

By far the first part of the game is the hardest as you start off with very little equipment and instruction and you have to train yourself how to survive. Once the first level is done and you can level up and spread out to get better equipment, things become more manageable.
===
jh6269
Leveling up before you move on has no negative effects, nothing changes for the player in the jump from NG to NG+, it's only the environment around you (enemies do more damage, have more HP, etc.) which changes. Leveling up one skill never takes away from the effectiveness of another skill.
===
Jam424
My mage is in the lower soul level range of 100, if you want to friend me on PSN (if you play online that is) I'll try and give you a hand the next time we're both online. At the very least I can keep him distracted a bit.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah ok i think im getting the hang of things now. just finished the first boss but gt my ass handed to me by a damn
dragon
. and now that i know that knight is worth so much im gonna go kill his ass lol. this game is really fun kind of like playing one of those old choose your own adventure books.[/QUOTE]
Congrats, you might consider moving on and playing one of the other 4 worlds before moving further in world 1 as the next boss in World 1 is pretty tough for someone first starting out.

On lots of the games the pattern is first world is the most difficult, then world 2 is the most difficult, then world 3, etc. But in Demon's Souls, the first levels of the 5 worlds are all approximately the same difficulty. The second levels of each world are approximately the same difficulties, etc. So often it is recommended to new players to beat the first level of all 5 worlds (or at least a few of them) before moving on to the second level of any of the worlds. Then the second level of all the worlds before moving onto the 3rd level of any of the worlds, etc.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Congrats, you might consider moving on and playing one of the other 4 worlds before moving further in world 1 as the next boss in World 1 is pretty tough for someone first starting out.

On lots of the games the pattern is first world is the most difficult, then world 2 is the most difficult, then world 3, etc. But in Demon's Souls, the first levels of the 5 worlds are all approximately the same difficulty. The second levels of each world are approximately the same difficulties, etc. So often it is recommended to new players to beat the first level of all 5 worlds before moving on to the second level of any of the worlds. Then the second level of all the worlds before moving onto the 3rd level of any of the worlds, etc.[/QUOTE]

yeah i figure i need to learn some magic to deal with the
dragons
its going to be fun finding where all these things are.

[quote name='guardian_owl']
jh6269
Leveling up before you move on has no negative effects, nothing changes for the player in the jump from NG to NG+, it's only the environment around you (enemies do more damage, have more HP, etc.) which changes. Leveling up one skill never takes away from the effectiveness of another skill.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll take your word for it, but I'm still not so sure. I know that when I was leveling, during my first playthrough, I would level my dexterity and my arrows would gradually do more damage. However, a few times, I increased my magic power, and the next time I went back to 4-2, I could no longer do as much damage as before. For a time, I could kill the silver skeletons and the black shadows with 1 arrow. Then, when I leveled up my faith and magic, it took 2 arrows.

I'm just kind of afraid that if I level up the wrong stuff, it will decrease my other abilities.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah i figure i need to learn some magic to deal with the
dragons
its going to be fun finding where all these things are.[/QUOTE]

I take it you're trying to play it blind, it's going to be pretty hard if you do it that way. I have no idea how anyone could ever figure all the stuff out w/o doing the walkthrough. Each decision you make is permanent (for the current playthrough), and you can kill anybody in the game, so just be careful.

A couple of times, I accidentally ran into some of the NPCs and they start getting pissed and wanted to fight me. Luckily, I was able to get away and they forgave me. However, I accidentally hit one merchant while trying to fight a monster, and he wouldn't forgive me, and I had to kill him.

Also, don't eat the demon's souls, at least go to the wiki and look at what you can trade them for, or what can be made from them. There is one demon's soul in particular that you must give to one NPC before you can get more advanced weapon upgrades.

That's why I just decided to do the walkthrough, because I don't have the time to play this over and over and find all this stuff out on my own.

if i get stuck ill use the wiki but yeah my first plythrough in any game i try to go in witht too much help but i can already tell ill be using that wiki alot speaking of which time to try and kill that red knight.......again.

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, I'll take your word for it, but I'm still not so sure. I know that when I was leveling, during my first playthrough, I would level my dexterity and my arrows would gradually do more damage. However, a few times, I increased my magic power, and the next time I went back to 4-2, I could no longer do as much damage as before. For a time, I could kill the silver skeletons and the black shadows with 1 arrow. Then, when I leveled up my faith and magic, it took 2 arrows.

I'm just kind of afraid that if I level up the wrong stuff, it will decrease my other abilities.[/QUOTE]
Few things can influence weapons damages, first for bows only:
1.)Range, the further away you get from a target the less damage a bow will do. If you are attacking from further away than previously you might do less damage.
2.)Different arrow type
For the rest of the weapons/spells:
3.)World Tendency shift - If you were at pure white and then shifted down below pure, enemies will be slightly stronger and have slightly more HP. If you killed the body form of the named NPC for the pure white event that would bring the tendency down to neutral, which would give the enemies significantly more HP.
4.)Character tendency - Pure white gives you max bonus damage in soul form. You said you killed several merchants recently (which would trash your character tendency) did you notice this change after you killed the merchants?
5.)Body form - Body forms offers you more HP, but you will do less damage then you did as in soul form.

[quote name='lokizz']if i get stuck ill use the wiki but yeah my first plythrough in any game i try to go in witht too much help but i can already tell ill be using that wiki alot speaking of which time to try and kill that red knight.......again.[/QUOTE]
May I recommend trying 4-1 (Shrine of Storms) for leveling up if the reason you are killing the red-eyed knight is for souls? The enemies right at the start of the level give a healthy amount of souls, you don't have to run halfway through the level to reach them, and they are very good practice for roll-dodging and parrying.

[quote name='guardian_owl']May I recommend trying 4-1 (Shrine of Storms) for leveling up if the reason you are killing the red-eyed knight is for souls? The enemies right at the start of the level give a healthy amount of souls, you don't have to run halfway through the level to reach them, and they are very good practice for roll-dodging and parrying.[/QUOTE]

ill check it out then since now that ive seen what all you use the souls for i want to do what i can to get my stats up. btw whoever it was that posted that stairway trick to kill the red knight thanks it worked perfectly.

[quote name='guardian_owl']May I recommend trying 4-1 (Shrine of Storms) for leveling up if the reason you are killing the red-eyed knight is for souls? The enemies right at the start of the level give a healthy amount of souls, you don't have to run halfway through the level to reach them, and they are very good practice for roll-dodging and parrying.[/QUOTE]

You also get a lot of pretty good equipment easily in the first half (i.e. before the 2nd fog gate) of that board.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah i figure i need to learn some magic to deal with the
dragons
its going to be fun finding where all these things are.[/QUOTE]

You'll need to use bows for both at some point for both the red and blue dragons if you want to kill them; it's the easiest solution. Or you can get by the red dragon after the Phalanx boss by sprinting/timing. But chances are, you won't have time to pick up stuff along the way.

At one point, I think you have to damage the blue dragon enough so he flys away or you need uberflame resistance to get by.

You also get a lot of pretty good equipment easily in the first half (i.e. before the 2nd fog gate) of that board.

I love world 4. It's challenging (cliff melees, skeletons), lots of variety and tons of souls. Good place to soul farm.

[quote name='bob330i']
You'll need to use bows for both at some point for both the red and blue dragons if you want to kill them; it's the easiest solution. Or you can get by the red dragon after the Phalanx boss by sprinting/timing. But chances are, you won't have time to pick up stuff along the way.

At one point, I think you have to damage the blue dragon enough so he flys away or you need uberflame resistance to get by.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I killed them both with magic, though I did use "hyper-mode." I had a mage character, and though I eventually leveled up some other stats to get better at melee, I never had enough dexterity to do much damage with a bow.

Also, you can just run by the blue dragon with timing, and it's not too bad.

games progressing smoothly for me so far. got a morning star, spiked shield and a winged spear leveled up some and have been putting a hurt on alot of enemies. even beat the red knight in a fight
mostly due to using turpentine
but still a wins a win.

damn spider boss kicked my ass though lost 5000 souls on that one but you live and learn.

Well, my New Game + is not progressing very smoothly... I'm having a hell of a time getting to the 2-2 boss (after the spider). Then once I get to him, I got my a$$ handed to me.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, my New Game + is not progressing very smoothly... I'm having a hell of a time getting to the 2-2 boss (after the spider). Then once I get to him, I got my a$$ handed to me.[/QUOTE]

You are aware of the shortcut, yes? At the first junction go right and drop down the platforms all the way down to where the boss is. If you're careful it shouldn't be hard to drop all the way down.

As for the boss, I can't help you much. I beat him 4 times with 1 character, and each time I was using a bow to snipe him from afar (and thief's ring) and if he noticed me then run away until I lose him.

I'm sure there are better ways to take him down.

Depending on your soul level, there are very often soul signs right before the boss room for 2-2. If you're playing at a popular time (i.e. around 9-10 Central or so), try using a stone of Ephemeral Eyes there and summon some help.

Otherwise, you just need practice. Water Veil spell helps, too, if you have it. He is weak to magic, so use sticky stuff on your weapon if you're melee, or just shoot him with soul ray if you're a mage. There's a safe spot behind some rubble at the top of the stairs where you can shoot him for awhile. If you hit him too much too quickly, he'll eventually get pissed enough to run up the stairs instead of getting stuck, so you'll have to run back down and dodge around a bit until you can get back up there.

[quote name='jh6269']Well, my New Game + is not progressing very smoothly... I'm having a hell of a time getting to the 2-2 boss (after the spider). Then once I get to him, I got my a$$ handed to me.[/QUOTE]
Ya, navigating the shortcut to Flamelurker can be kind of difficult.
*After the Armored Spider Archstone take the right-hand fork past all the miners.
*Bust through all the boxes on the right side, and take a small step off the edge, landing on a small wooden platform, drop down again to a long wooden platform.
*Run parallel to the shaft wall, and walk off the platform edge to another below you.
*Turn around and walk parallel to the shaft wall looking to your left, you will see another long platform running perpendicular to your platform, drop down onto it.
*Walk parallel to the shaft wall and drop off the edge of the platform to another below you.
*Turn around 180 degrees, sidestep a few feet to your right, then walk perpendicular from the wall to land on another platform below you.
*Sidestep, and angle a little off to the left, then walk off the platform again.
*Turn around and walk parallel to the shaft wall, then make a quarter turn to your left and look for a platform not that far down.
*Keep walking straight off the edge of that platform and you will land on a platform which has a ladder you can climb down.
This might help you visualize better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXV47KoObyY
Flamelurker is all about watching to make sure you don't get trapped in a corner by him, keeping a decent distance from him and being ready to roll out of the way of his attacks, and take the time when he jumps away to munch grass, rebuff spells, or hit him offensive magic.
He is really weak against
magic damage, so if you have any upgraded moon or crescent weapons or sticky white stuff to apply to your enchantable weapons, or enough magic to occasionally cast soul ray, the fight will go faster.
Ring of flame resistance is also a huge help.

The hard part is when he goes below 25% health and becomes super pissed and comes after you aggressively, giving you little breathing room.

edit:
Found a decent youtube video
When he gets ready to punch you or pound the ground roll to the side or backward.
When he leaps at you, roll forward so that he lands behind you, turn around, hit him in the back a few times, then roll away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU9TdKvH3n4

Hey Guardian. Let me know when you might be on to possibly help me with the false king. I just got all the rings and have been working on the unique weapons. The False King is the only boss I have left for NG+ 1

[quote name='lokizz']and another boss bites the dust!!!!! i beat the
tower knight
using a crossbow and alot of freakin patience.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! What soul level are you now? If you need some help, let one of us know.

@guardian owl, Teh Nitwit,

Thanks for the advice, I somehow thought that the shortcut took longer than just getting down there the normal way, but there's 2 bearbugs in the way that slow me down.

On my 1st playthrough,
for Flamelurker, I ran around that huge ribcage and made him trap himself on it and just spammed soul ray/soul arrow until he was dead.
He got unstuck once or twice, but I played ring around the rosy with him and kept shooting at him. I was going to try the same thing again, but I keep getting killed before I get to him. Got to him once and tried to do the roll back thing and died.

I'll try the short cut and see if my approach works. Also, is there a safe place to stand to take him out with ranged attacks and thieves ring? I didn't have time to look around for safe spots...

[quote name='Jam424']Congrats! What soul level are you now? If you need some help, let one of us know.[/QUOTE]

im at soul level 24 and i just laid the smackdown on that
giant spider
. man i was dumb to have gotten killed that first time.

[quote name='lokizz']im at soul level 24 and i just laid the smackdown on that
giant spider
. man i was dumb to have gotten killed that first time.[/QUOTE]

Soooo, I take it your opinion has changed about the game?

[quote name='jh6269']Soooo, I take it your opinion has changed about the game?[/QUOTE]

lol yes once you you start to level up your stats and get better weapons the game becomes alot easier to play. that red knight is still a cheap sumbitch though. that wiki is a big help too and aside from the occasinal death due to falling everythings cake.

btw can you ever sell off any of the items you collect like weapons and the like? ive got a ton of that stuff piling up with the guy who watches it thinking maybe down the line i can use it for money.

[quote name='lokizz']lol yes once you you start to level up your stats and get better weapons the game becomes alot easier to play. that red knight is still a cheap sumbitch though. that wiki is a big help too and aside from the occasinal death due to falling everythings cake.

btw can you ever sell off any of the items you collect like weapons and the like? ive got a ton of that stuff piling up with the guy who watches it thinking maybe down the line i can use it for money.[/QUOTE]

Nope, no selling anything. You can drop it if you don't need it, but you can't sell.

You might as well keep it - Thomas has an infinite capacity (or at least, up to 99 of each item). Some of the basic weapons can be made into good weapons later using the boss souls.

[quote name='Jam424']Hey Guardian. Let me know when you might be on to possibly help me with the false king. I just got all the rings and have been working on the unique weapons. The False King is the only boss I have left for NG+ 1[/QUOTE]
Sure thing, I'll send you a MSG next time I see you online (or vice versa). I'll drop the blue soul sign in the right corner of the room near the fallen dragon the archers stand on. What soul level are you now? Want to make sure I'm still in summoning range of you.

Ok, I got past Flamelurker by using the strategy of getting him trapped on the big rib cage. This time I used arrows. Forgot to equip my Ring of Avarice though :( he gave me 90,000 souls, and it would have been a nice bounty if I would have done it right.

Got a few of the "ore" trophies out of the way, now working on killing the 4-1 boss. He's pretty tough on NG+...

damn im loving that
shrine of storms
i havent even hit a boss yet and im already pulling in near 20,000 souls. finally got my hands on some magic and ive been going on a good tear for a bit now.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Sure thing, I'll send you a MSG next time I see you online (or vice versa). I'll drop the blue soul sign in the right corner of the room near the fallen dragon the archers stand on. What soul level are you now? Want to make sure I'm still in summoning range of you.[/QUOTE]

I actually beat it in hyper mode earlier today. On new game ++ now.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']You know, after having beat this game 3 times nearly a year ago, I still have no idea what people mean by "hyper mode".[/QUOTE]

With the Morion blade and the sharp rat's rings, under 30% health you do extra damage. A lot of extra damage!

[quote name='Jam424']With the Morion blade and the sharp rat's rings, under 30% health you do extra damage. A lot of extra damage![/QUOTE]

Yep. Really helpful for killing the blue dragon and also one-shotting some of the rare crystal geckos like the two in 4-3 (or decimating the gecko nest in 2-2).

Oh man, I finally beat Adjudicator on NG+. Man that sucked. I totally forgot that
when you hit him in his wound, it doesn't take off any health from him (I was thinking it was supposed to)
, and I thought that my weapons were too weak or something.

[quote name='jh6269']Oh man, I finally beat Adjudicator on NG+. Man that sucked. I totally forgot that
when you hit him in his wound, it doesn't take off any health from him (I was thinking it was supposed to)
, and I thought that my weapons were too weak or something.[/QUOTE]

Dude Im wayy too scared to fight him the real way so all I do is flame toss his head constantly and dodge when he attacks. It's even easier with co-op buddies.

[quote name='pram12']Dude Im wayy too scared to fight him the real way so all I do is flame toss his head constantly and dodge when he attacks. It's even easier with co-op buddies.[/QUOTE]

Really? I don't know how you can dodge his tongue--the damned thing can go through walls and hit you. I tried to do the flame/soul ray on the bird and I couldn't even get more than one shot.

If you can hit that bird, you can definitely do it the melee way. The key is to
stay in behind him, wait for him to swing his meat cleaver (at nothing). As he's hunched over after taking the swing, you run around and stab him a few times in the gut where his wound is. After 2 or so times, he'll keel over and the bird will be on the ground, and you can get about 4 normal shots and maybe 3 heavy shots on him with your spear/sword. Rinse and repeat until dead.

One caveat is though, after the 2nd or so time, he's backed up against the fog door, and you have to kind of lure him out into the middle so you can get around his back (otherwise, he's right up against the wall and you can't squeeze through).

It was actually pretty easy when I remembered the strategy.

Another thing to keep in mind when meleeing Adjudicator
the crow call is not just ambient noise, it is actually controlling the main body. When you hear it squawk, get ready, as he is about to swing the meat cleaver in his right hand.

^ Haha, I never noticed that, good to know.

Ok, so I have a question about the Demonbrandt and Soulbrandt. If I merge them into the Northern Regalia, do I need to hold all 3 of these at once to get the trophy? Or, do I just need to have obtained them at one point in the game?

[quote name='jh6269']^ Haha, I never noticed that, good to know.

Ok, so I have a question about the Demonbrandt and Soulbrandt. If I merge them into the Northern Regalia, do I need to hold all 3 of these at once to get the trophy? Or, do I just need to have obtained them at one point in the game?[/QUOTE]
Just held at one point.

[quote name='jh6269']Sweet. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

By the time you're ready to get that trophy, you'll probably have all 3 at the same time, but you really only need to get them once as was said. I know I have like 3 copies of every weapon except for 1 or 2. This is a rough Platinum.

[quote name='Jam424']By the time you're ready to get that trophy, you'll probably have all 3 at the same time, but you really only need to get them once as was said. I know I have like 3 copies of every weapon except for 1 or 2. This is a rough Platinum.[/QUOTE]

Not as rough as Yakuza 3 (there's just too much stuff to do and get) or GoW 3 (just couldn't do that Challenge at the end, and gave up)... The only reason I keep going is that I really love the game and I actually think I can do it.

But I was mainly wondering if I had to do the whole Ostrava thing once more, or if I could just skip Doran next time around (if I don't need to have all of the 3 swords in my possession at once, then I don't need to worry about it).

Pro-tip:
For revenge for all the hell Ostrava puts you keeping him alive in the first NG, on all NG+s don't give that man a fish, teach him the art of fishing...by backstabbing him and kicking him below into the sea of dreglings :twisted:.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Pro-tip:
For revenge for all the hell Ostrava puts you keeping him alive in the first NG, on all NG+s don't give that man a fish, teach him the art of fishing...by backstabbing him and kicking him below into the sea of dreglings :twisted:.[/QUOTE]

Haha, that's exactly what I did :lol:
The shitty part is that I didn't get his Rune armor when I killed him (not that I could even wear it).

I'm now trying to get past 4-2, and it's really kicking my butt. I keep getting killed inside the cave. It's pretty pathetic. I'm not really sure what to upgrade to really help me. I got my sticky compound bow that does the most damage against the shadows and the reapers, but the cave is so close quarters that the bow is pretty much useless. It was so easy the first time around...

[quote name='jh6269']Haha, that's exactly what I did :lol:
The shitty part is that I didn't get his Rune armor when I killed him (not that I could even wear it).

I'm now trying to get past 4-2, and it's really kicking my butt. I keep getting killed inside the cave. It's pretty pathetic. I'm not really sure what to upgrade to really help me. I got my sticky compound bow that does the most damage against the shadows and the reapers, but the cave is so close quarters that the bow is pretty much useless. It was so easy the first time around...[/QUOTE]

use a mace and a spiked shield and upgrade them as much as you can . ive been using that level for money especially since i got that
ring of averice
and those weapons work pretty well against them. i can kill the regular shadow guys with 2 hits now and use that flame spell on the black shadows.

bread's done
Back