Demon's Souls - Atlus & From Software's Action RPG - October 6

[quote name='lokizz']use a mace and a spiked shield and upgrade them as much as you can . ive been using that level for money especially since i got that
ring of averice
and those weapons work pretty well against them. i can kill the regular shadow guys with 2 hits now and use that flame spell on the black shadows.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got that ring and pretty good weapons, but I'm on New Game Plus (second play-through) and all the enemies are harder now. Also, the shadow guys in 4-1 are much easier than the guys in the cave. The cave guys take like 4 or 5 hits with my Sticky Compound Long Bow and Hard Arrows. Magic is pretty much useless. I've also had to switch to my +5 Dark Silver Shield (which blocks 100% of their magic attack).

If I can play tonight, I'm going in again but with my anti-magic field spell. The 2nd black phantom killed me the last time I got into the cave.

If you're willing to risk invasions (4-2 is a big target for invaders for some reason) then just summon some help. I was really good at every world by the time I got my plat, except for 4-2. For whatever reason, I sucked at that world and always summoned some help.

Enter the cave to get to the second reaper room, walk across the first narrow walkway, kill the first shadowlurker, then turn left and walk down the next staircase until you reach a puddle of the water in the corner where you would normally turn left and walk along the ledge.

Stand in the puddle, put your back to the corner, look catty-cornered across the pit at the other corner, then scan your eyes down looking for 2 small blue eyes behind some columns. That is the reaper, kill it with your bow.

Or, supposedly if you you drop off that first narrow walkway as soon as you are able once you enter the cave you will land next to the Reaper.

Also something to keep in mind is the Reapers, all the skeletons, and shadowlurkers are
weak to fire, so you might try using fire arrows from Graverobber Blige for the Reapers. They also have the added benefit of stunning the Reaper so that you can keep it in one location. For the skeletons flametoss, fireball, firespray, ignite, or dragon weapons (especially dragon blunt weapons) will make short work of them.

Or you can follow this video to find and melee the Reaper as he can be pretty difficult to locate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oBq0ef2V7Y

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest first luring him to attack (first invis thing) and get behind the rock jutting from the ceiling to prevent u from getting hurt. As soon as the attack has passed you, sprint to his right side. He'll still be in his super beam attack motion. You can kill him from here. After that it's easy. He's the hardest part in the level (except for that boss... he's so hard).

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I just got the game today, so hopefully this thread will help me when I get into any trouble! :p[/QUOTE]

try not to let the first few hours you keep dying over and over get to you lol.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Enter the cave to get to the second reaper room, walk across the first narrow walkway, kill the first shadowlurker, then turn left and walk down the next staircase until you reach a puddle of the water in the corner where you would normally turn left and walk along the ledge.

Stand in the puddle, put your back to the corner, look catty-cornered across the pit at the other corner, then scan your eyes down looking for 2 small blue eyes behind some columns. That is the reaper, kill it with your bow.

Or, supposedly if you you drop off that first narrow walkway as soon as you are able once you enter the cave you will land next to the Reaper.
[/QUOTE]

So for the second and third playthrough, what would you suggest that I upgrade on my character? I did the "Assassin build" from the FAQ, so I have about 31 - 35 magic and faith, about 30ish strength, high twenties in endurance, luck is 9, about 17 in vitality, 30 dexterity, and can't remember intelligence (I can remember up to 4 spells).

Should I continue to try to max out my magic and faith, or go for more strength? Seems like my attack power only gets increased every few levels, so I'm not able to get very strong. I was going to try to increase my magic and faith to try to get a higher magic bonus for special weapons...

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I just got the game today, so hopefully this thread will help me when I get into any trouble! :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, give it about 5 or so hours before you make up your mind. At first, I really didn't like the game, but it grew on me, and now I really love it. If you get too frustrated, go for the GameFAQs walkthrough. It's still really fun and challenging, even though you're technically cheating. There are so many things to get in this game, and every choice is permanent, so it's good to know how certain things will affect your game.

Also, the game does not allow you to save in multiple save files, AFAIK. So, it doesn't make it easy to do choices by trial and error.

[quote name='jh6269']So for the second and third playthrough, what would you suggest that I upgrade on my character? I did the "Assassin build" from the FAQ, so I have about 31 - 35 magic and faith, about 30ish strength, high twenties in endurance, luck is 9, about 17 in vitality, 30 dexterity, and can't remember intelligence (I can remember up to 4 spells).[/QUOTE]
Endurance>Vitality>Strength. Everything else can rot til you're satisfied with your ability to swing swords/roll, health total, and weapons/armor you're using.

Well, I finally got to the Old Hero, but got killed :( The strategy of going down the stairs and shooting the 1st black phantom worked. I'm also able to get to the 2nd black phantom, cast anti-magic field, then run past him. You have to turn around pretty quick and have your dark silver shield up and ready to absorb his magic.

I've tried different types of magic and weapons, and the +5 sticky compound long bow and hard arrows do the most damage on black phantoms and shadow people. Tried lava bow to create fire arrows out of any old arrows, and they did like 1/2 the damage (but my lava bow is not leveled up to +5, so that could be the problem).

Finally killed the Old Hero on NG+. Tried dozens of times and kept getting too trigger happy and ended up alerting him and he'd kill me. Finally just shot him two or so times after he was about 1/2 way down the path with his back to me, and it worked (had to be very very patient though, kind of like when you fight the red dragon).

My arrows only took like 200 ± 30 off of him on each shot...

Phalanx Archstone 1-2: Already beat the Red Flying Dragon, and am about to fight the Tower Knight... I'm going to use magic attacks on him (Right now, I only have Soul Arrow magic). How should I approach this boss? BTW, I'm of the Royalty class, and have both the Fragrant Ring and the Cling Ring equiped.

There are stairs to either side of him. Run up the stairs (careful there are some normal enemies up there), and just keep hitting him from afar with your magic.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Phalanx Archstone 1-2: Already beat the Red Flying Dragon, and am about to fight the Tower Knight... I'm going to use magic attacks on him (Right now, I only have Soul Arrow magic). How should I approach this boss? BTW, I'm of the Royalty class, and have both the Fragrant Ring and the Cling Ring equiped.[/QUOTE]

i
ran around the stairs killing all the archers and then killed the knight with a crosbow.
but im a wanderer...yeah im a wanderer........

Yep, run straight up the stairs and take out all the crossbow guys. Then hide behind the wall and time your soul arrow to hit him. You'll learn his pattern and when to shoot after just a few mins.

Pretty neat strategy I discovered for taking down the false idol (maybe it's already been discovered, but it's not in the FAQ or Wiki). I know she's not one of the tougher bosses, but this was a pretty sweet way to beat her w/o taking any damage.

1) Go through the fog and kill all of the zombies; knock down all the chairs in your path.

2) Stay in the area that is between the fog and the first column (if you draw an imaginary line across the room connecting the first colums on the left or right of the room). I don't know if this is necessary, but it seemed to work from next to the fog, to next to the first column.

3) Equip the thieves ring Use your bow and arrows (I used the sticky compound long bow and heavy arrows, have about 300 or so arrows) to shoot the false idol, one arrow at a time. She will retaliate after each shot; wait for that before you take your next shot.

4) When she fires at you, use your dark silver shield +5 to block 100% of the magic.

5) Rinse and repeat until she's dead (be careful not to get trigger happy and shoot more than one arrow at a time, this will trigger her normal attack pattern with the clones, etc.).

This strategy seemed to work each time until I shot more than 1 arrow, then she'd start attacking me and I'd get killed (New Game Plus). So the final time, I just shot one arrow at a time, blocked her magic, then shot again, etc. She never once attacked me, and I was able to wear my Ring of Avarice and get the bonus souls (an another easy level). I'm on about level 120ish now, and each shot takes about 100 damage from her.

Sorry if this is common knowledge already, but I kind of discovered this on my own (like i said, it wasn't in the Wiki or the FAQ).

I just got Demon's Souls and I have to say it's a pretty neat game. I, however, am terrible at it. I'm a Temple Knight and I can't get past the end of the Lord's Path. Every time I get to the end the Blue Eye Knight bum rushes me and I can't seem to defend against him. I keep hacking away at it and only thing that seems to happen is lose all those souls(which I realize isn't a big deal but it took me a while to get the initial 6K of souls from 1-1). Oh well, I'll try again tonight!

At any rate, just wanted to come by and say hello to the fellow Demon's Souls owners!

[quote name='BreakingPoint']I just got Demon's Souls and I have to say it's a pretty neat game. I, however, am terrible at it. I'm a Temple Knight and I can't get past the end of the Lord's Path. Every time I get to the end the Blue Eye Knight bum rushes me and I can't seem to defend against him. I keep hacking away at it and only thing that seems to happen is lose all those souls(which I realize isn't a big deal but it took me a while to get the initial 6K of souls from 1-1). Oh well, I'll try again tonight!

At any rate, just wanted to come by and say hello to the fellow Demon's Souls owners![/QUOTE]

Welcome. Us late comers will have to stick together. I finished the game already, but I'm plowing through my second playthrough trying for the platinum.

Here's a link to the wiki, and gamefaqs.com has a good FAQ by author "Volume."

http://www.demons-souls.com/wiki/

Blue and Red-eyed knights, you should use ranged attacks or counter attacks. Let them lunge at you, you can either move back or hit the circle button (without pointing back with analog), then let them have it. Just starting out though, stay away from Red eyed nights.

Also, find the thieves ring, it lets you get closer w/o enemies seeing you.

Just got an e-mail saying that this is now part of the greatest hits line which I think is quite an achievement for an Atlus published game.

demonssouls_greatesthits_1b.jpg

I generally don't like Rouge RPGs, but I think I may give this one a shot.

It's too bad in order to utilize outside help from another player you have to go through convoluted methods to assure it's a friend and not just some random person who might be coming into your game solely to kill you.

Otherwise I would've gladly played more of this game than I did.

I wonder if the leveling glitch still works on the US versions if you stay offline with it and don't download the patch that killed it.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I generally don't like Rouge RPGs, but I think I may give this one a shot.[/QUOTE]

Oh ya, Rouge RPG's are the worst. All that powder you have to deal with is annoying.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wonder if the leveling glitch still works on the US versions if you stay offline with it and don't download the patch that killed it.[/QUOTE]
The US version has the patch on disc.

I honestly never thought of Demon's Souls as a roguelike... I can kinda see how someone could think of it as such, with the permanent nature of your actions, but it lacks a lot of what I instantly think of when I hear "roguelike", most notably the random dungeons and turn based gameplay.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wonder if the leveling glitch still works on the US versions if you stay offline with it and don't download the patch that killed it.[/QUOTE]
No, that was never in the US version. You can still use the soulsucker disconnect method with a friend, though. That's how I have a permanent top 10 rank on the leaderboards with a level 712 character. I get messages all the time asking me for help, pvp, gear, advice on women, etc lol.

[quote name='mguiddy']The US version has the patch on disc.

I honestly never thought of Demon's Souls as a roguelike... I can kinda see how someone could think of it as such, with the permanent nature of your actions, but it lacks a lot of what I instantly think of when I hear "roguelike", most notably the random dungeons and turn based gameplay.[/QUOTE]
Ahh. I had the import for quite a while before the US one came out, but I still played while logged into PSN. It was really scary the one night when a black phantom came into my game and just decimated everything and everyone except for me in the game.:whistle2:#

So I guess now that the game has reached GH status maybe that means Atlus won't shut down the servers anytime soon. Mind you most of the hints from other players that were left in random spots were largely made up of 'this is harsh, evaluate me'. I guess they expected you to rate their oh so helpful hint of telling you the game was hard with a high score or whatever.:roll:

Probably the most intriguing thing about the game when played online was seeing how other people were dying in their games via the phantoms that showed up repeatedly.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I generally don't like Rouge RPGs, but I think I may give this one a shot.[/QUOTE]

What? Where did you hear that? This game is not a rogue-like RPG. Rogue-like RPGs have randomly-generated dungeons. This game, you go through the same worlds over and over again to level up. Actually, it's the exact opposite of a Rogue RPG.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Just got an e-mail saying that this is now part of the greatest hits line which I think is quite an achievement for an Atlus published game.[/QUOTE]

Still one of my all time favorites, for sure.

I wonder if they have considered adding DLC for that last statue given the legs on this game.

[quote name='dallow']Sequel is coming in everything but the name.

Project Dark ("Dark Souls")

Will be multiplat.[/QUOTE]
Hadn't got around to reading TGS news yet and I see it was just announced. fuck 360, they don't deserve good games lol.

cant wait ds 1 of my fav games of all time so frustrating but rewarding at the same time. was very close to plat just need couple more weapons trophies. hope they add mic support this time around :)

Put this in for the first time yesterday. Little confused on exactly what I'm trying to do, but damn this game is punishing and frustrating. I understand what everyone was talking about now.

Yet, this game i've noticed more than any other how I learn from my mistakes and when I succeed in getting further and further, it feels damn good. Haven't had this sense of accomplishment in a game before. I shall be playing a bit more.

Oh boy, I was kind of skeptical when I heard about this, but now I'm freaking excited. I really hope they don't gimp this just for the 360; give MS some shitty ports for a while, we did our dues already.

Looks pretty awesome. That character that was in the beginning of the trailer looked strikingly like my Demon's Souls character, I thought.

[quote name='jh6269']Oh boy, I was kind of skeptical when I heard about this, but now I'm freaking excited. I really hope they don't gimp this just for the 360; give MS some shitty ports for a while, we did our dues already.[/QUOTE]

Is the fanboy crap really necessary? I'm disgusted by crappy ports as well, but the blame goes to the developer and not the system. Tons of multi-platform run equally well (to the naked eye) and play equally well on both sytems. Bayonetta, FFXIII, and Orange Box are the exception, not the rule.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Is the fanboy crap really necessary? I'm disgusted by crappy ports as well, but the blame goes to the developer and not the system. Tons of multi-platform run equally well (to the naked eye) and play equally well on both sytems. Bayonetta, FFXIII, and Orange Box are the exception, not the rule.[/QUOTE]

If you can't handle it, go back to the XBOX forums. Anyway, it's not fanboy crap, it's a legitimate complaint.

[quote name='jh6269']If you can't handle it, go back to the XBOX forums. Anyway, it's not fanboy crap, it's a legitimate complaint.[/QUOTE]

Haha, guess I should have expected a gamefaqs type of reply.

You act as if the 360 is the only system I own.

---

I'll probably buy it for PS3. It is being published by Namco Bandai, hopefully they do a deluxe version to match DS.

From Software has a lot on its plate between Project Dark and Steel Batallion.

[quote name='paddlefoot']

From Software has a lot on its plate between Project Dark and Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor[/QUOTE]

Armored Core 5 first. /OT
----

I went back to the game for a day and checked out the new PvP SL spot. Good times smacking down BPs and still getting hating mail for it. lol

[quote name='paddlefoot']Haha, guess I should have expected a gamefaqs type of reply.

You act as if the 360 is the only system I own.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's supposed to be some kind of an insult. Never been to gamefaqs forums, so it was lost on me.

FYI, just because someone has a complaint about how PS3 has been getting the shitty ports, doesn't automatically make them a fanboy (I know it's the norm now, any slight tendency towards a particular console, and you're automatically a fanboy).

Anyway, I wasn't even going to respond to your first post, but I'm really sick of the whole fanboy stuff. It's way overused, and getting really old.

bread's done
Back