Demon's Souls: Black Phantom Edition - ~$50-$60

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
http://www.gamestation.co.uk/Demons-Souls/~r420148/

http://www.dvd.co.uk/Games/Demons-Souls-Black-Phantom-Edition/DEMONSOULSPS3/product.htm

http://hmventertainment.at/cheapyd?...oductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=138359

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps3/demon-s-souls-black-phantom-edition/10089364.html - Use coupon code APRIL2

Prices vary per store. Read the thread for info concerning opinions of each and such.

Thanks everyone for the extra links and store reccomendations!

Great price for those that missed out on the US Deluxe Edition

Demon%27s-Souls-Black-Phantom.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is dvd.co.uk reliable? Has anyone bought from them before? Did the game get sent to you in bubble wrap or cardboard box? Thx

I really like the look of this bundle, but I can only imagine the transatlantic lag of trying to play this sucker online. Considering how flakey Demon Souls can be on its local servers, the frustration of trying to play this online might not be worth it. :(

[quote name='BWS1982']Well what's even weirder (about release date) now is they apologized to me in an email saying they're just waiting on word from their supplier and it'll ship ASAP, and that I can check the status at any time, etc...

Confusing.

Anyone from other merchants have different estimated dates?[/QUOTE]
I got that e-mail yesterday too.

does this european disc run on US server if i play from my US ps3? I worry about lag if it force me to play on European server.

what's about DLC? does it require a UK ps3 account for dlc purchase (ouch!) and play online? thx in advance guys :)

[quote name='agentghost']does this european disc run on US server if i play from my US ps3? I worry about lag if it force me to play on European server.

what's about DLC? does it require a UK ps3 account for dlc purchase (ouch!) and play online? thx in advance guys :)[/QUOTE]

If you have the european version of the game, then you can only play on european servers. Also, you will have to have a UK PSN account to get any DLC, if there is any, for this game. This will be as simple as creating a new user on your PS3 and registering it with a UK address.

[quote name='agentghost']does this european disc run on US server if i play from my US ps3? I worry about lag if it force me to play on European server.

what's about DLC? does it require a UK ps3 account for dlc purchase (ouch!) and play online? thx in advance guys :)[/QUOTE]

There is no DLC for this game, so no worries there.

[quote name='BWS1982']Well what's even weirder (about release date) now is they apologized to me in an email saying they're just waiting on word from their supplier and it'll ship ASAP, and that I can check the status at any time, etc...

Confusing.

Anyone from other merchants have different estimated dates?[/QUOTE]

I got a similar e-mail from zavvi. I hope it ships soon and they didn't run out of stock.

I got the e-mail apology from Zavvi as well. Hope it's just a hiccup.

I was worried about having to cancel and reorder what with all the "price drop" talk, but it looks like it didn't drop for me. I took advantage of that "3 off 30" coupon when this thread started, so it appears that my net cost is essentially the same as this new discount. :cool:

[quote name='agentghost'](the guide included in this Ed is from that online Wiki)[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate? I've only seen this mentioned twice--both times by you. Where did you hear this? I'm mainly buying this for the two books, but I'd still find it more convenient to flip open a book on the couch while playing than hoofing it over to the computer to look up some tidbit.

[quote name='prateeko']Hey guys, where do you recommend I buy it? I forgot to do so earlier and just was reminded by the sight of this thread.[/QUOTE]

Zavvi or dvd.co.uk are probably your best bet, though Zavvi is slightly cheaper.

Sorry to bump but I recently got this message:

"Thank you for placing your order with us. I am sorry there seems to be a problem on your account which has resulted in your order being held as part of our security procedure. So we can resolve this matter swiftly and promptly could you please contact a member of our customer service team on 0844 264 0702 who will be happy to help so we can continue with your order.

We apologise for any inconvenience however we like to ensure we take every measure to make purchasing on the internet a safe and friendly environment."

From what I'm reading, they won't do anything to my order until I replied back to deal with this security procedure. I had to deal with this BS with some other UK site that was called game.co.uk I think. Damn it! -_- Did anyone get this kind of message? If so, how did you resolved it?

[quote name='Zippon']I got the e-mail apology from Zavvi as well. Hope it's just a hiccup.

I was worried about having to cancel and reorder what with all the "price drop" talk, but it looks like it didn't drop for me. I took advantage of that "3 off 30" coupon when this thread started, so it appears that my net cost is essentially the same as this new discount. :cool:

Care to elaborate? I've only seen this mentioned twice--both times by you. Where did you hear this? I'm mainly buying this for the two books, but I'd still find it more convenient to flip open a book on the couch while playing than hoofing it over to the computer to look up some tidbit.[/QUOTE]

here is ur answer friend. Demon's Soul European Ed Guide is a carbon copy of Demonwiki
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/04/demons-souls-pal-release-has-fan-made-strategy-guide/

and here

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/europe

I ordered from thehut.com weeks ago, got this email recently:

Thanks for placing your order with us at TheHut.com, order number ********.
We're sorry that your order for the product(s) below has not yet been sent.
Demon's Souls

We're still following this up with our suppliers and we'll keep you updated on the status of your order.
You can check the status of your order by clicking on order tracking in your account pages.
Thanks for your patience, if you have any further questions please contact our customer services colleagues and they'll be happy to help.
Many Thanks,
TheHut.com Team

My copy from Zavvi shipped today

Thank you for your order with zavvi. We can confirm the item(s) below have been sent to you.
Delivery will normally take between 3 to 5 working days, but can sometimes take a little longer due to postal delays. Please allow 10 full working days before notifying us of any delays in arrival.
We send each item of your order as soon as it becomes available at no extra charge. If you are waiting for any other items which are not listed below you will receive a further e-mail once they have been sent.
We will endeavour to keep you updated on the status of your order and any delays that may occur.

Should you need any further help, please login to your account and contact our customer services colleagues and they'll be happy to help.
Kind Regards,
zavvi Team

No email yet but I've been charged or at least pending a charge

To add, check your account and see if it is in your order history, mine is showing as dispatched today

Just got notified that mine shipped today as well!

[quote name='agentghost']here is ur answer friend. Demon's Soul European Ed Guide is a carbon copy of Demonwiki
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/04/demons-souls-pal-release-has-fan-made-strategy-guide/

and here

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/europe[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links.

I don't see "carbon copy" anywhere in those articles, however. It says the guide was "written and compiled by" the wiki site's two creators. I seriously doubt that means it will be identical. Probably very similar info (which is a good thing, since the wiki was created by obsessive fans) but with the added resources and info of the developers.

Instead of a negative ("it's just a copy of the wiki so why bother?") it strikes me as a positive ("they tapped super-fans, who wrote the wiki, to author this version, rather than a random game guide author"). ;) Even the kotaku article portrays it as a very cool move, rather than implying it's some sort of cop-out.

I got a processing message from dvd.co.uk and then got a transaction confirmation request from my credit card company so I don't know if that will delay my order or not.

Whatever the case, I hope they pack it carefully.

[quote name='Zippon']Just got notified that mine shipped today as well!

Thanks for the links.

I don't see "carbon copy" anywhere in those articles, however. It says the guide was "written and compiled by" the wiki site's two creators. I seriously doubt that means it will be identical. Probably very similar info (which is a good thing, since the wiki was created by obsessive fans) but with the added resources and info of the developers.

Instead of a negative ("it's just a copy of the wiki so why bother?") it strikes me as a positive ("they tapped super-fans, who wrote the wiki, to author this version, rather than a random game guide author"). ;) Even the kotaku article portrays it as a very cool move, rather than implying it's some sort of cop-out.[/QUOTE]

of course it is a very cool move...packaging free guide and market it with a retail product. The author obviously got their names out there too..

Just a note that the Wiki is updated regularly while the book is not. I am just pointing it is out that if u could get a similar thing for free, why not get it? We are on CAG after all.

But hey if u want the book, by all mean, GET it. U have my support, dude.:D

Just received my Order Dispatched email from Zavvi. Although it just says Demon's Souls not Demon's Souls: Black Phantom Edition.

[quote name='JAlbertL']Just received my Order Dispatched email from Zavvi. Although it just says Demon's Souls not Demon's Souls: Black Phantom Edition.[/QUOTE]

My e-mail does too, but my order history on the Web site still says Black Phantom Edition.

I wonder how these would be packaged for international shipping. Padded envelopes will most likely dent the corners of the collectible slip case.

[quote name='agentghost']
Just a note that the Wiki is updated regularly while the book is not. I am just pointing it is out that if u could get a similar thing for free, why not get it? We are on CAG after all.

But hey if u want the book, by all mean, GET it. U have my support, dude.:D[/QUOTE]

I do appreciate the info. Depending on your point of view, it could be a polarizing issue, so I'm surprised more people aren't discussing it.

When I got the US game, I used the wiki a few times, but the only updates that caught my attention were the theme days announcements (all black/all white tendency during certain holidays, for instance). Are people really still finding new info about the game? In a way, that's impressive.

I'm the kind of guy that likes having a nice book or two to accompany my games, whether art or strategy. It's a nice break for the eyeballs after staring at pixels. :)

[quote name='jacknicklson']The wiki has also been updted with wrong info several times[/QUOTE]

and then re-updated with right info :) and fast too. Demon's Soul community is large and very active and hella hardcore.

I might get this edition.. as a gift for my cousin. He loves collecting guide and Collector Edition stuff :)

[quote name='Zippon']I do appreciate the info. Depending on your point of view, it could be a polarizing issue, so I'm surprised more people aren't discussing it.

When I got the US game, I used the wiki a few times, but the only updates that caught my attention were the theme days announcements (all black/all white tendency during certain holidays, for instance). Are people really still finding new info about the game? In a way, that's impressive.

I'm the kind of guy that likes having a nice book or two to accompany my games, whether art or strategy. It's a nice break for the eyeballs after staring at pixels. :)[/QUOTE]

ppl don't discuss it b/c it is very hard to find the official U.S. guide already... to diss the European "fan-made" guide would be ungrateful. We get what we can get for this amazing game. I can't wait for Demon's Soul 2 hehe

[quote name='agentghost']ppl don't discuss it b/c it is very hard to find the official U.S. guide already... to diss the European "fan-made" guide would be ungrateful. We get what we can get for this amazing game. I can't wait for Demon's Soul 2 hehe[/QUOTE]

My feelings exactly. I picked up DS on a whim (crazy clearance find at Target) and loved it. It seemed like the rare game that would benefit from a good guide, but I blanched when I saw how expensive the US version had become. This Black Phantom edition is like a gift. :D

I personally never liked thehut's packaging. It's a normal padded envelope that cracked my game cases on more than 1 occasion. Shopto is much better but don't know if they deliver to the USA

Just got an email from Zaavi saying they shipped my order yesterday. I'll post when it arrives here in NY.

[quote name='Zippon']My feelings exactly. I picked up DS on a whim (crazy clearance find at Target) and loved it. It seemed like the rare game that would benefit from a good guide, but I blanched when I saw how expensive the US version had become. This Black Phantom edition is like a gift. :D[/QUOTE]

this is the first game that I didn't see an official guide got released for retail. Even weirder, this game totally NEED a guide.. unlike Modern Warfare 2. :roll: Not sure what Brady and Prima publishings were thinking

[quote name='agentghost']this is the first game that I didn't see an official guide got released for retail. Even weirder, this game totally NEED a guide.. unlike Modern Warfare 2. :roll: Not sure what Brady and Prima publishings were thinking[/QUOTE]
The good part about an 'official' guide not being released by Prima or Brady is that the few copies of the limited edition guide that got released with both the prior LE version of the game AND this newer version which is actually a different version largely made up of stuff from an online Wiki AND hardcover means that both should be fairly collectible.

What that means is that anyone who gets this set should keep that guide as pristine as possible, since it may shoot up in value to $100 like the other one did.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
What that means is that anyone who gets this set should keep that guide as pristine as possible, since it may shoot up in value to $100 like the other one did.:D[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that's a longshot. The original guide is hot because it was part of a limited LE run, and people didn't know if the game was any good yet. So few people shelled out the extra cash. Now the game has been out a good long time, has gotten all the press it's going to get (plus word of mouth), so it's likely peaked in popularity. It had a nice bump when Gamespot named it "game of the year" and when it started seeing some decent price cuts (Target clearance, etc). But there isn't much else to bring it into the spotlight again. The old guides are being sought by the game's cult following, after they missed out on the LE's. And I have a feeling most of them are already aware of the UK release. :)

Still, keeping something like this in good condition isn't bad advice. LOL

game is supposed to be enjoyed, not enshrined. The same goes for ..uh.. game guide. and this is not directed to anyone so don't take it personal. hehe I planned to buy this copy or the U.S. LE guide and scan it over the summer. Hopefully it will be helpful for ppl who can ONLY afford this excellent game and not falling victim to scalper

[quote name='agentghost'] I planned to buy this copy or the U.S. LE guide and scan it over the summer. Hopefully it will be helpful for ppl who can ONLY afford this excellent game and not falling victim to scalper[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the people who put a lot of work into these books appreciate your "Robin Hood" mentality. :whistle2:k

Seriously, how can you go from "why buy the book if the free wiki is superior" to "I'll distribute copyrighted material for free to fight the scalpers"?

Not trying to jump down your throat, agentghost, since you were real helpful with the wiki author info. But casual disregard for the law always bugs me.

EDIT: And I totally agree with the "enjoy not enshrine" comment. I never buy anything in the hopes to resell it. Buy it to enjoy it. If it appreciates in value and you want to sell, all the better!

Have been on the fence about this for several months and finally ordered 2 copies at dvd.co.uk for $102 shipped to the United States. I tried gamestation first but my credit card wouldn't go through and it asked me to call them to verify my information (yeah right). Its all good because dvd.co.uk ended up being about $10 cheaper anyway. The clincher for me was seeing that Amazon Uk only had 2 copies left already (on launch day) and they were being sold by a 3rd party vendor and the price was equivalent of $60. I am betting that this will indeed be as limited as the U.S. deluxe version and hopefully I can flip one to offset the price of my own copy!

@Purkeynator - I had the same problem with my CC, I just called my CC company and told them to put it through. They were denying it because it was a purchase in a foreign country and they monitor for that sort of thing. I tried to call international on my calling card but I couldn't figure it out, lol. Anyways, my CC company sorted it out on thier end. If anyone else has the same problem I would check this solution perhaps.

[quote name='Zippon']I'm sure the people who put a lot of work into these books appreciate your "Robin Hood" mentality. :whistle2:k

Seriously, how can you go from "why buy the book if the free wiki is superior" to "I'll distribute copyrighted material for free to fight the scalpers"?

Not trying to jump down your throat, agentghost, since you were real helpful with the wiki author info. But casual disregard for the law always bugs me.

EDIT: And I totally agree with the "enjoy not enshrine" comment. I never buy anything in the hopes to resell it. Buy it to enjoy it. If it appreciates in value and you want to sell, all the better![/QUOTE]

if only the money scalper makes goes to the author :roll:

oopps... sorry I just made that "scan and distribute for free" statement out of frustration since I looked into buying an LE version of Demon's Souls last Xmas and some scalper charged $200 on Ebay.

[quote name='kidray666']@Purkeynator - I had the same problem with my CC, I just called my CC company and told them to put it through. They were denying it because it was a purchase in a foreign country and they monitor for that sort of thing. I tried to call international on my calling card but I couldn't figure it out, lol. Anyways, my CC company sorted it out on thier end. If anyone else has the same problem I would check this solution perhaps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip but it looks like my order went through fine on DVD.CO.Uk anyway as I got a shipping confirmation email. I think they were set up differently because they came up with the Wellsfargo protect page after I ordered which required me to enter in my pin for online purchases and some additional info to verify my identity (Newegg always does this too). Anyway the extra info allowed my order to go through without making any extra phone calls which works for me!

[quote name='xDerekRx']So will this play on US systems? Says PAL Region 2[/QUOTE]

Yea the PS3 isn't region blocked so it plays all regions.

Apparently my post was ignored. Sorry to bump but I recently got this message:

"Thank you for placing your order with us. I am sorry there seems to be a problem on your account which has resulted in your order being held as part of our security procedure. So we can resolve this matter swiftly and promptly could you please contact a member of our customer service team on 0844 264 0702 who will be happy to help so we can continue with your order.

We apologise for any inconvenience however we like to ensure we take every measure to make purchasing on the internet a safe and friendly environment."

From what I'm reading, they won't do anything to my order until I replied back to deal with this security procedure. I had to deal with this BS with some other UK site that was called game.co.uk I think. Damn it! -_- Did anyone get this kind of message? If so, how did you resolved it?

bread's done
Back