Demon's Souls pricedrop $49.99 (44.49 now)

[quote name='jacknicklson']Game is worth twice that. Community is dwindling so I would get in sooner than not[/QUOTE]

Guess I should probably try and play this game (again). :lol:

This game is awesome actually. Worth full price IMO. And better to get it now than after it gets to $30 or so for the online parts. The online will really help you with bosses

[quote name='Dann-o']This game was horrible. I dont know how people gave it good reviews. The controls are so bad, laggy, and sluggish. The "online" is a joke. I wouldnt pay $4.99 for this. Youll thank me later if you listen.http://social.bioware.com/brc/1693514[/QUOTE]

I LOL'ed so hard. Best sarcasm I've seen today. :applause:

I refuse to quote the shameless plug.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Game is worth twice that. Community is dwindling so I would get in sooner than not[/QUOTE]

Great game. Hopefully the price drop will bring in some more online players to the mix.

[quote name='Electro']Dann-o=casual[/QUOTE]

Dann-o = reported for spamming that link in every post. i have sigs disabled so i don't have to see stupid ass referral links that nobody clicks on.

This game is awesome even without going online. It can be frustrating at times but it's really not that hard. This is a good time to buy because it will probably go out of print.

Demon's Souls is so hard that it makes you think $49.99 is a good deal until it kicks your ass, takes another $20 from your wallet, and sends it to ATLUS.

And that's BEFORE you put it in your PS3.

If you have no money in your wallet and got it at less than full MSRP, it starts New Game in pure black world tendency just to punish you for your arrogance.

...'cause it's freakin' hard core like that. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Ordered. Thanks for the deal and the coupon code.

I'm still not sure that this game is for me, but I'm willing to bite for $40.

"Demon’s Souls is a game that will make you into a man. A scrawny fourteen-year-old, after two hours with this game, will be grooming his muttonchops and ready to ship off on the next boat to fight the Kaiser. If you are already a man, it will make you into some sort of bizarre double-man. What’s that you say? You’re a woman? You don’t want to be a man? Too bad. Too bad. That’s the Demon’s Souls way.

You’ve probably heard that Demon’s Souls is hard. Pshh. Lots of games are hard. Some are even harder than this one. The difficulty is not the point. What sets Demon's Souls apart is the way that it doesn't just kill you, but also stomps on your genitals when you’re down. And it will make you realize that that’s what you needed all along.

It’s a lot like life. Sometimes in life you win, and sometimes the giant armored skeleton stabs your face off because the flying mantis monster you didn’t even see shot you in the back with a spike at just the wrong time. And when that happens in life, do you respawn at the same spot and carry on like nothing happened? NO, asshole. You go back to the beginning of the level, leaving all your hard-earned souls out there on the pavement, and you fight your way back. And you learn a lesson from the whole thing, because you should have been wearing your Thief’s Ring, now shouldn’t you? That’s life.

The trend in hard games these days is to unlock “Easy” mode for you once you’ve died enough times. Do you think Demon’s Souls does that? Do you think Demon’s Souls is so much as aware of the concept of “Easy” mode? NO IT IS NOT. If Demon’s Souls even knew we were talking about “Easy” mode, it would come over here and kick the shit out of all of us. And we would deserve it.

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.

Have I told you about the online elements? At any time when you’re in Body form, another player from anywhere else in the world can invade your game and murder you to regain his own body, or just to keep you on your toes. This happens when you’re in the middle of fighting armies of unthinkable monsters that are probably already three-quarters of the way towards killing you. And no, you cannot opt out of this feature! This is what you signed up for when you agreed to be a man.

When this happened to me -- when a guy strolled into my game like it was Taco Bell and exploded my torso, costing me my body and all my progress in the level -- was I mad? No, because I was too busy being in awe at how fucking hardcore the experience was.

Now, don’t let this dissuade you. Demon’s Souls is a pitiless master, but let it never be said that it is not fair. The game rewards handsomely those who stand up to it, and the greater the challenge, the greater the glory.

What the hell are you waiting for?"
-Ciserus (reddit)

[quote name='SteelSD']Demon's Souls is so hard that it makes you think $49.99 is a good deal until it kicks your ass, takes another $20 from your wallet, and sends it to ATLUS.

And that's BEFORE you put it in your PS3.

If you have no money in your wallet and got it at less than full MSRP, it starts New Game in pure black world tendency just to punish you for your arrogance.

...'cause it's freakin' hard core like that. Don't say I didn't warn you.[/QUOTE]I lol' whenever I hear people say this game is balls to the walls hard. It's challenging, yes, but if you play smart, slow and carefully, you'll barely have any trouble. To be quite honest, I thought the game was a bit easier than how everyone made it out to be.

Anyway, I bought the Deluxe Edition when it first came out and never regretted it for a single moment -- and that's considering I'm a CAG to the fullest. My first playthrough had about 50 odd hours and as I beat the game, I immediately started for a New Game + just to have more punishment inflicted on me. :)

So with that, I highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a challenge and don't let anyone turn you off from it by saying it's way to hard, because as I said before, you just have to play in a different mindset, especially since games (On their default settings) now-a-days are so easy and forgivable, people seem to forgot anything about a challenge from days gone by.

[quote name='Dann-o']This game was horrible. I dont know how people gave it good reviews. The controls are so bad, laggy, and sluggish. The "online" is a joke. I wouldnt pay $4.99 for this. Youll thank me later if you listen.

http://social.bioware.com/brc/1693514[/QUOTE]
You're obsiously a very unseasoned gamer, and a casual/bad one at that. Demon's Souls is probably one of the best games I have ever played on PS3 (or any action/rpg I have played, ever), and I think it was GameSpot who gave it game of the year. You are definitely in the minority on your ignorant claims.

Anyone that didn't like this game, is the exact type of person I would never want to game with. Incredibly impatient, overall, a terrible player, and just wants everything easy mode and handed to them on a plate. This game isn't as difficult as it requires patience, to say the least. The moment you get cocky in the game, and think, "Oh man, I am kicking some ass", is the moment a boulder falls from a trap and crushes you and you die in 1 shot. You have to pay attention and progress more slowly, unlike most "action" games out there. Planning and skill are all part of this game, rushing in and beating on things will get you killed 80-90% of the time unless you are fighting in a area much lower level than yourself.

It will definitely be more entertaining and engaging with a community playing it, as the multiplayer integrates well into the game.

The online sucks? Again, you are an idiot. It is probably one of the best implementations of online mechanics in a "single player action/RPG" game that I have ever seen. Just because you only play CoD and stupid BS games that are the same thing as every other game released in the past 15 years (only with better graphics), doesn't mean Demon's Souls sucks. Your just too young and ignorant to fully enjoy it. This is definitely a "mans" game, it will kick you when you are down, and will not let up.

This game was worth 60 bucks, and is definitely worth $40-50. The experience will not be as great as it was before, as I am sure the community of people playing it has died off. I really hope they release some of the DLC for it to spike up the interest again. We shall see. I want to get on to my second play through once I get through a few of the newer games I have purchased.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had more fun with this game than any other in 2009 (including Uncharted 2). I'd buy this game again, despite already owning it...but I think I'll just pre-order 3D Dot Game Heroes instead to show my appreciation to the developers.

[quote name='mywhitenoise']I had more fun with this game than any other in 2009 (including Uncharted 2). I'd buy this game again, despite already owning it...but I think I'll just pre-order 3D Dot Game Heroes instead to show my appreciation to the developers.[/QUOTE]
I also here there is a sequel (or something similar) being developed by the same team. I am definitely looking forward to that, if the rumor is true ;)

[quote name='h2dk']"Demon’s Souls is a game that will make you into a man. A scrawny fourteen-year-old, after two hours with this game, will be grooming his muttonchops and ready to ship off on the next boat to fight the Kaiser. If you are already a man, it will make you into some sort of bizarre double-man. What’s that you say? You’re a woman? You don’t want to be a man? Too bad. Too bad. That’s the Demon’s Souls way, etc. [/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Earned my Platinum without a single trade, phantom help or workaround. 4 playthroughs and 130 hours of pure love/hate.

[quote name='h2dk']
You’ve probably heard that Demon’s Souls is hard. Pshh. Lots of games are hard. Some are even harder than this one. The difficulty is not the point. What sets Demon's Souls apart is the way that it doesn't just kill you, but also stomps on your genitals when you’re down. And it will make you realize that that’s what you needed all along.
[/QUOTE]

This is a terrible quote. Getting killed in this game isn't awesome, it's just annoying. Yes, the difficulty is exaggerated by most people, but praising a game (that's just hard for the sake of being hard) for being hard is like praising a movie for being long.

Anyway. I have the game but it's way in the backlog for now. From what I played, it's well worth $40 or $50, at least if you stick with it you can get your money's worth.

I brought this game day 1 but I still do not have a PS3 yet. I planned to play this maybe in 2-3 years time...

I just want to ask, is it possible to play this game without internet connection? I hope it is not one of those games that will not work once the online server is turned off.

[quote name='Asgardian']I brought this game day 1 but I still do not have a PS3 yet. I planned to play this maybe in 2-3 years time...

I just want to ask, is it possible to play this game without internet connection? I hope it is not one of those games that will not work once the online server is turned off.[/QUOTE]

Yup it is.

I bought the Asian version before it was announced for America. Objectively I could see it was a well-made, awesome game, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. If you think you will like it, get it for sure; you will probably love it. But don't just get it because everyone says how great it is even if you don't usually like the genre.

I find people exaggerate the difficulty of this game. The game rewards patience, skill, and diligence. Don't play it like god of war and you'll be fine. One of the most rewarding games i've played in years, and worth every penny of the MSRP.

[quote name='Asgardian']I brought this game day 1 but I still do not have a PS3 yet. I planned to play this maybe in 2-3 years time...

I just want to ask, is it possible to play this game without internet connection? I hope it is not one of those games that will not work once the online server is turned off.[/QUOTE]

To add a bit more info: Yes, you even have the option of starting the game in offline mode. It doesn't cripple the experience or anything, but it's definitely a trade off.

When you are connected, you see the ghosts of other players running around you. This is way creepy and cool, and it tips you off when there is an encounter/trap/ambush nearby because you will see their ghost react to it. Also, if another player is killed, you will see his bloodstain and can activate it to see the last few seconds of their life (also a great warning of what's to come).

For more hints, you can also leave messages or read messages left by other players. Most are garbage, but a few are very helpful. If people like the message you've left, they can give you a tiny bit of life.

The big online component is direct interaction. You can request the aid of a friendly ghost in your game, or offer your services as such a ghost. In either case, one of you crosses over into the other's game and assists them. If you defeat a boss together, you both get your bodies back (a big deal).

The big negative to online is invasion. Another player can force his way into your game at any time (after a certain level) and try to destroy you. Or, you can be the invader. But even this is balanced. Because if the invader dies outside of combat with you (say, by being pushed over a cliff), he loses a ton of souls (the game's currency/experience points). :twisted:

Demon's Souls is demanding. Not necessarily tough. It "demands" that you play by it's rules. You can't just wing it and play as you like. If you are into modern guns-a-blazin shooters/RPG's or games where you get to die as much as you want without penalty (Assassin's Creed 2), you may not like it. As others said, DS is all about careful, methodical exploration and combat. Personally, I think the combat is unmatched. It's almost a simulation. Every block, thrust, and parry must be carefully considered.

So why the hurry with online? Do the 'ghosts' stick around only for a certain amount of time? Is it only ghosts from recent real time? I'd probably like the hint/help of the online component.

Problem is, I'm a lame collector. I bought the limited edition and I've kept it sealed. I do want to play the game, but it seems stupid to crack it when it's got a nice cult following and I always regret cracking stuff like that. So I've been waiting to get it for $30. A Gamestop B2G1 on used would do the trick. Too bad I've never seen it used. Not like I've looked too hard for it either.

So I guess if there's impetus to play like servers down in 3 months or ghosts fade after a certain amount of time, I could throw more cash at it. If not, like all new games, why not wait for the price to drop? It will be just as fun now as in 6 months or a year.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']Totally called that; glad I sold my copy for $40 when I did.[/QUOTE]
The real question here is, "who in their right mind would ever want to sell Demon's Souls?"

[quote name='N3UROP0D']This is a terrible quote. Getting killed in this game isn't awesome, it's just annoying. Yes, the difficulty is exaggerated by most people, but praising a game (that's just hard for the sake of being hard) for being hard is like praising a movie for being long.

Anyway. I have the game but it's way in the backlog for now. From what I played, it's well worth $40 or $50, at least if you stick with it you can get your money's worth.[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, some people actually LIKE a challenge in their video games.

And in this game in particular, the difficulty isn't based on cheap enemies/deaths. It's a game where if you die, it's your own damn fault.

[quote name='ianoid']So why the hurry with online? Do the 'ghosts' stick around only for a certain amount of time? Is it only ghosts from recent real time? I'd probably like the hint/help of the online component.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean by "hurry". ?

The ghosts are real-time. When a ghost runs past you, that is someone else on the server playing at that exact moment. No connection means no ghosts.

The messages and bloodstains are another matter. Since they are persistent, I suppose they may remain in a level if you visited at least once recently while connected, but I doubt it. I haven't tested it.

It took a little while to get used to it, but the ghosts running around are a very cool and unique feature. Especially in a game where you have to creep around every corner with your shield raised at all times, watching for the slightest hint of movement. I've had ghosts blow past me during a tense moment that made me jump off the couch! LOL

Oh, and "keep your shield raised at all times" is Rule #1 for succeeding at this game. Invariably when I click a bloodstain to see how someone died (which is practically an entire universe of fun in itself) they are trying to pull some ridiculous hyper acrobatics--dodging and rolling and dual-wielding. Flashy stuff that would get you killed in the real world. News Flash: It gets you killed in Demon's Souls, too.

[quote name='Zippon']I'm not sure what you mean by "hurry". ?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for answering my question about online play of this game. It sounds very cool.

I meant 'hurry' as in what's the hurry to pick up the game, because I didn't realize what online components were consistent and which were real time.

I'm dying to see this on some CAG related deal for $30.

[quote name='Camwi']And in this game in particular, the difficulty isn't based on cheap enemies/deaths. It's a game where if you die, it's your own damn fault.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. This game isn't "hard just for the sake of being hard". It's hard because you lack the skill or strategy to take down these enemies. You need patience, and this game really tests it.

[quote name='mang9432']I find people exaggerate the difficulty of this game. The game rewards patience, skill, and diligence. Don't play it like god of war and you'll be fine. One of the most rewarding games i've played in years, and worth every penny of the MSRP.[/QUOTE]

Yeah game of the year for me last year.

Excellent. This is not an action game in the sense of what they have become.

[quote name='Zippon']I'm not sure what you mean by "hurry". ?
Oh, and "keep your shield raised at all times" is Rule #1 for succeeding at this game. Invariably when I click a bloodstain to see how someone died (which is practically an entire universe of fun in itself) they are trying to pull some ridiculous hyper acrobatics--dodging and rolling and dual-wielding. Flashy stuff that would get you killed in the real world. News Flash: It gets you killed in Demon's Souls, too.[/QUOTE]

Reminded me of when I first got the game and tried dodging and rolling in full plate :lol:.

When I first got the game, I thought it wasnt as hard as everyone made it to be. Turned out they were running some pure white special or something around christmas, and the game decided to start spiting me after that was over.

[quote name='ryushe']I lol' whenever I hear people say this game is balls to the walls hard. It's challenging, yes, but if you play smart, slow and carefully, you'll barely have any trouble. To be quite honest, I thought the game was a bit easier than how everyone made it out to be.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I agree. I actually put it down about 1/3 of the way through NG+ because I realized all I was really doing was gecko farming interrupted by occasional boss battles. I didn't really care enough about the Platinum trophy to keep doing it. While there is a limited online community that sets up tourneys, I do honestly wish there was more of an online experience (and I'm not much for online gaming, so that's saying a lot).

Anyway, I bought the Deluxe Edition when it first came out and never regretted it for a single moment -- and that's considering I'm a CAG to the fullest. My first playthrough had about 50 odd hours and as I beat the game, I immediately started for a New Game + just to have more punishment inflicted on me. :)

So with that, I highly recommend this game to anyone looking for a challenge and don't let anyone turn you off from it by saying it's way to hard, because as I said before, you just have to play in a different mindset, especially since games (On their default settings) now-a-days are so easy and forgivable, people seem to forgot anything about a challenge from days gone by.

Agree again. The first 8-10 hours are simply brutal, but at hour 11 you figure out that it's not the game that sucks; it's YOU. The enemies aren't at all cheap. They're always in the same place and all have some pattern to exploit. Players can even cheap their own way through at least 4 of the bosses and multiple black phantom NPC's with a solid bow or ranged magic. And the first time someone invades your world, it's a pulse-pounding experience. The first time you kill someone who invades your world is probably the single best video game moment of the last...well, nearly forever.

I also absolutely recommend this game for anyone who wants to actually take the time to do something more than button-mash their way through an adventure-RPG. It's more of a patience-tester than it is truly difficult, and the payoff is outstanding.

Just an FYI for those concerned about condition of used online orders from G-stop. The price drop on used is $44.99 in store (-10% with Edge), if you can find it.

[quote name='Camwi']Believe it or not, some people actually LIKE a challenge in their video games.

And in this game in particular, the difficulty isn't based on cheap enemies/deaths. It's a game where if you die, it's your own damn fault.[/QUOTE]

I said it was a good game and well worth the money, don't you think you're being a bit defensive? I even said the difficulty was exaggerated.

damn it didn't occur to me till reading this thread that the game might not be as good / easier when the online dwindles dowm. I was waiting for it to go down lower ( or at least had more game spending money), I don't really need another game right now. Huge backlog and am currently playing another RPG ( lost odyssey).

I really want to play this game eventually

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I said it was a good game and well worth the money, don't you think you're being a bit defensive? I even said the difficulty was exaggerated.[/QUOTE]

I was just responding to your comment on the praise for the game's difficulty. Sorry if I came across as defensive and/or a douche.

Got my Deluxe Edition day 1, and have spent a ton of time playing and definitely happy with my purchase. Demon's Souls deserves every acclaim it received.
It's not cheap difficult game, it's just very unforgiving and challenging at times. But it's fun if you don't rush through it like a moron and just take you time you'll avoid a lot of hate lol. This put some fresh air into a gen of games that has been mostly brain dead simple.

[quote name='chestyman']it's impossible for camwhi to be a douche. I know this because he has a ween chocolate and cheese avatar[/quote]

Rock on, man. The dude abides. :D

whoah I can get it at amazon for $20 if I get the amazon.com visa rewards card.
Does anybody have one of those? Is it a good idea to get one?

bread's done
Back