Demon's Souls pricedrop $49.99 (44.49 now)

[quote name='RollingSkull']You can zot the red eyed cocksucker easily with the magic missile spell but still, if you were grinding for souls, not only is Shrine of Storms better but it's also more fun once you get the hang of the stupid rolling attacks the enemies do. Get to level 2 there and the ghost enemies at the start all die and drop souls when you kill the reaper. More souls if you want to drop the world tendency to black (God be with you if you do, though.). Kill the reaper. Evacuate out, repeat. Much less risk, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, soul arrow works well for the 1-1 RE knight, but I'm assuming low-level; meaning that Latria isn't a likely destination for replacement spices you'll need for a Royal build that early on and they're spendy as hell from vendors. Low-level also won't have access to the Shine of Storms soul-grinding levels, but that Reaper is a good source. 1-4 is also good (albeit slower) soul-grinding at mid-level. If online in body form, it's also one of the most commonly invaded levels in the game prior to killing the boss. This offers the bonus of big soul payoffs for a skilled player.

IMHO, the single-best soul-grinding level is the final Shrine archstone after killing the boss. Those mantas are easy prey.

If you've cleared a world boss, then you want to work over the later levels of the castle so you'll have more grass than Little Jacob. It's a particularly annoying set of levels but the castle is the only place that drops grass reliably.

Agreed.

Tower of Latria drops spice but nobody wants to go to Tower of Latria unless you absolutely loved Doom 3. Which means the swamp world is only good for people who hate the sense of sight and LOVE the color of murky brown.

Again, agreed. I was actually really happy I created a Hunter build after finding out that spice was only fairly readily found in the Tower; and then only by those annoying squid-heads.

And the better blacksmith shows up below the big rotating elevator at the start of the first mines level. He can give you more weapon/armor upgrades, unique ones, and the stat-tailored upgrades, but damned if that all isn't min/maxing, wiki reading, ore-drop grindan bullcrap. You'll most likely ditch that stuff for an artifact weapon anyway.

Well, a player will never find a bow better than one that can be created with that blacksmith after Flamelurker (Lava Bow) or mid-game (Sticky Compound Bow). Both those can be created fairly early on and both are absolutely worth the effort unless a player is focused on the magic path.

If I have one complaint about the game, it is the rate of the better ore drops; particularly those that can be found only from certain geckos that are very hard to get to without re-loading tricks. Double ditto for Pure Bladestone. Trying to get that to drop is just flat out annoying.

Finally, connecting online resets your World Tendency to the global average. This will ruin attempts to go for WT, which is one of the main ways to get the fancier rare drops, so if you're going for WT runs, don't connect online.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. To clarify your post, the game doesn't forget your World Tendency when resuming your game, unless you're connecting for the first time and/or if connecting immediately after one of ATLUS' periodic WT online events. However, I would recommend NOT quitting the game in the Nexus while attempting to go for WT events.

I had no problem getting all white and black World Tendency events to trigger while playing exclusively online. I would suggest playing in soul form if purely focused on getting white tendency unless a player is really good at killing invading black phantoms and at a soul level that tends to see a good deal of invasions. Black WT can be manipulated easily by hoarding Ephemeral Eye Stones and then getting yourself killed in body form.

[quote name='Ramza']
Also the online component is hillarious. Especially the blood stains. For those of you unfamiliar with DS's multiplayer offerings, it presents bloodstains where players have died before. When you touch the blood stains it will put on a demonstration for you of how that particular player was killed. At times it can be quite entertaining.[/QUOTE]

That is cool. I assume it's only people who are online when you are, otherwise the whole game would be blood :lol: according to what most say about it's difficulty.

[quote name='SteelSD']Yeah, soul arrow works well for the 1-1 RE knight, but I'm assuming low-level; meaning that Latria isn't a likely destination for replacement spices you'll need for a Royal build that early on and they're spendy as hell from vendors. Low-level also won't have access to the Shine of Storms soul-grinding levels, but that Reaper is a good source. 1-4 is also good (albeit slower) soul-grinding at mid-level. If online in body form, it's also one of the most commonly invaded levels in the game prior to killing the boss. This offers the bonus of big soul payoffs for a skilled player.[/QUOTE]

1-4? Can't go back to that craphole. All it is is four damage soaking fat guys, one of the most retarded midboss fights in all of gaming, and a retardedly long turnaround to a somewhat taxing boss.

And if you're casting spells at all, you will no doubt have an MP regen ring and enough self control to only zot the people who really deserve it.

Well, a player will never find a bow better than one that can be created with that blacksmith after Flamelurker (Lava Bow) or mid-game (Sticky Compound Bow). Both those can be created fairly early on and both are absolutely worth the effort unless a player is focused on the magic path.
Gotta have the stats to use them and for my entire run through the game I never had the stats to make those bows viable. All I found arrows good for was killing the dragons, and I'll never forgive the game for how dumb killing those dragons turned out to be.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. To clarify your post, the game doesn't forget your World Tendency when resuming your game, unless you're connecting for the first time and/or if connecting immediately after one of ATLUS' periodic WT online events. However, I would recommend NOT quitting the game in the Nexus while attempting to go for WT events.

I had no problem getting all white and black World Tendency events to trigger while playing exclusively online. I would suggest playing in soul form if purely focused on getting white tendency unless a player is really good at killing invading black phantoms and at a soul level that tends to see a good deal of invasions. Black WT can be manipulated easily by hoarding Ephemeral Eye Stones and then getting yourself killed in body form.
I beat every boss in several worlds without dying in human form and still didn't get White WT. Whenever I connected online, even outside the WT events, I would lose my WT. I knew this because I specifically would go to the mines to die every time and I saw its WT rise for NO REASON.

WT is a retarded mechanic no matter HOW you slice it, but it is doubly annoying how finicky it can be. Yes, the stones make it easy enough to control but that still doesn't mean it isn't an objectively dumb mechanic.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Gotta have the stats to use them and for my entire run through the game I never had the stats to make those bows viable. All I found arrows good for was killing the dragons, and I'll never forgive the game for how dumb killing those dragons turned out to be.
[/QUOTE]

Now I enjoyed DS a lot, but I have to agree with you here. Dragons' appearances were awesome. How you kill the dragons is definitely not awesome.

[quote name='RollingSkull']1-4? Can't go back to that craphole. All it is is four damage soaking fat guys, one of the most retarded midboss fights in all of gaming, and a retardedly long turnaround to a somewhat taxing boss..[/QUOTE]

Hang back with the Sticky Compound Long Bow +5 and ruin them.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Gotta have the stats to use them and for my entire run through the game I never had the stats to make those bows viable. All I found arrows good for was killing the dragons, and I'll never forgive the game for how dumb killing those dragons turned out to be.[/QUOTE]

All you need is a dexterity level of 40. I was a mainly melee based Knight but bumped dexterity up to 40 to dominate with the bow when I needed to.

For those of you frustrated with this game remember: GO SLOW GO SLOW GO SLOW

They want you to literally pee your pants not knowing if you will be killed. If you go in a new door way immediately jump back.

Draw out enemies. Use the Theif ring ALL THE TIME (until you get a hang of it).

Don't fight red eye knights until you can handle them.

The Levels are the hardest part of the game not the bosses. Phalanx was cake.

If you get into the game it'll never let you go

[quote name='acsguitar']For those of you frustrated with this game remember: GO SLOW GO SLOW GO SLOW

They want you to literally pee your pants not knowing if you will be killed. If you go in a new door way immediately jump back.

Draw out enemies. Use the Theif ring ALL THE TIME (until you get a hang of it).

Don't fight red eye knights until you can handle them.

The Levels are the hardest part of the game not the bosses. Phalanx was cake.

If you get into the game it'll never let you go[/QUOTE]

BS Phalanx was not cake. I had trouble as a mage getting past his infinite shield goo's.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']BS Phalanx was not cake. I had trouble as a mage getting past his infinite shield goo's.[/QUOTE]

I could see that as a problem as a mage. I picked hunter and though it took about 10 min running around like a previous poster, I was suprised how easy it was given I was dying all the time (RE and BE knights). Same with the tower knight.
as long as he didn't fall on you when you whacked his ankles. Also if you were hit, there were a lot of hiding places to eat grass safely

Just finished 2-1 (2-2 armor spider?) and will now go after the sticky compound long bow everyone is talking about. Had to look it up as I didn't know where to find it since I've been trying to go linear through the levels.

[quote name='bob330i']I could see that as a problem as a mage. I picked hunter and though it took about 10 min running around like a previous poster, I was suprised how easy it was given I was dying all the time (RE and BE knights). Same with the tower knight.
as long as he didn't fall on you when you whacked his ankles. Also if you were hit, there were a lot of hiding places to eat grass safely

Just finished 2-1 (2-2 armor spider?) and will now go after the sticky compound long bow everyone is talking about. Had to look it up as I didn't know where to find it since I've been trying to go linear through the levels.[/QUOTE]

Loved doing the armor spider fight. A friend of mine had that purple shield you get under the fire dragons on 1-1 and I stood behind him and fired magic missiles while he blocked.

[quote name='bob330i']I could see that as a problem as a mage. I picked hunter and though it took about 10 min running around like a previous poster, I was suprised how easy it was given I was dying all the time (RE and BE knights). Same with the tower knight.

Just finished 2-1 (2-2 armor spider?) and will now go after the sticky compound long bow everyone is talking about. Had to look it up as I didn't know where to find it since I've been trying to go linear through the levels.[/QUOTE]

It's going to be a lot harder if you try to do them linear.

That tower knight was a pain until I fought my instinct to dodge away and instead rolled towards him (between his legs). LOL

You have to love how random the boss fights are, too. You rarely know what's coming up. :)

[quote name='JuicemanJM']It's going to be a lot harder if you try to do them linear.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm finding the hard way. It's not really that clear when to cut off and head to a new world except
for 1-2 where you can't go into the fog at 1-3 until you kill an archdemon.

[quote name='bob330i']That's what I'm finding the hard way. It's not really that clear when to cut off and head to a new world except
[/QUOTE]

For me, I'd try a place and if I find my ass handed to me on a silver platter... I try else where. lol

As for the Phalanx and Tower knight. My main attacks are always R2. It's slower, but once you get the timing down, it does a heft of damage. I was using a piercing sword though.

I've not died too frequently, but then it took me about a week to get to the very first boss. I play this like I used to play the original Bard's Tale. If you don't know what it is, it can probably kick your ass.

If you buy it, please buy it new. Atlus needs the money, and they are one of the very few fan driven publishers.

[quote name='Revenantae']If you buy it, please buy it new. Atlus needs the money, and they are one of the very few fan driven publishers.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah, they are. I love Atlus with a passion. They've always been good to their fans.

[quote name='Revenantae']I've not died too frequently, but then it took me about a week to get to the very first boss. I play this like I used to play the original Bard's Tale. If you don't know what it is, it can probably kick your ass.

If you buy it, please buy it new. Atlus needs the money, and they are one of the very few fan driven publishers.[/QUOTE]

I loved Bards Tale. Can't wait to get to Demon's Souls sometime. I just can't believe I put it off for so long. But I'll blame other RPGs for that.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']BS Phalanx was not cake. I had trouble as a mage getting past his infinite shield goo's.[/QUOTE]

They're not infinite, you're supposed to kill the shield goos to get to the main goo.

[quote name='bob330i']That's what I'm finding the hard way. It's not really that clear when to cut off and head to a new world except
[/QUOTE]

That's because you're allowed to do the levels in whatever order you want (except 1-3/1-4 like you said).

[quote name='RollingSkull']I beat every boss in several worlds without dying in human form and still didn't get White WT. Whenever I connected online, even outside the WT events, I would lose my WT. I knew this because I specifically would go to the mines to die every time and I saw its WT rise for NO REASON.[/QUOTE]

Didn't happen for me. But I did see that you mentioned using Evacuate when farming the Reaper. That's an issue as using Evacuate will randomly reset all World Tendency to neutral. The only times I got bit by the WT reset bug was when quitting in the Nexus and using Evacuate.

[quote name='SteelSD']Didn't happen for me. But I did see that you mentioned using Evacuate when farming the Reaper. That's an issue as using Evacuate will randomly reset all World Tendency to neutral. The only times I got bit by the WT reset bug was when quitting in the Nexus and using Evacuate.[/QUOTE]

That sort of bug is somewhat like telling me using the red key to unlock the red door will sometimes cause the disc to shoot out of the console and decapitate you. Eugh.

Either way, the WTs I had weren't reset to neutral, they would reset to "pretty white."

All of the hype surrounding DS's supposed difficulty reminds me of the marketing campaign for how John Romero's Daikatana would make a player his bitch. It starts to sound phony after a while.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']All of the hype surrounding DS's supposed difficulty reminds me of the marketing campaign for how John Romero's Daikatana would make a player his bitch. It starts to sound phony after a while.[/QUOTE]

Well, it made John Romero a bitch to the games journalism industry.... That's kinda the same.

Oh, and DS is only hard in comparison to today's games. If you played the Gold Box games, Wizardry or Bard's Tale, you know what you're in for.

[quote name='MattVid']You're obsiously a very unseasoned gamer, and a casual/bad one at that. Demon's Souls is probably one of the best games I have ever played on PS3 (or any action/rpg I have played, ever), and I think it was GameSpot who gave it game of the year. You are definitely in the minority on your ignorant claims.

Anyone that didn't like this game, is the exact type of person I would never want to game with. Incredibly impatient, overall, a terrible player, and just wants everything easy mode and handed to them on a plate. This game isn't as difficult as it requires patience, to say the least. The moment you get cocky in the game, and think, "Oh man, I am kicking some ass", is the moment a boulder falls from a trap and crushes you and you die in 1 shot. You have to pay attention and progress more slowly, unlike most "action" games out there. Planning and skill are all part of this game, rushing in and beating on things will get you killed 80-90% of the time unless you are fighting in a area much lower level than yourself.

It will definitely be more entertaining and engaging with a community playing it, as the multiplayer integrates well into the game.

The online sucks? Again, you are an idiot. It is probably one of the best implementations of online mechanics in a "single player action/RPG" game that I have ever seen. Just because you only play CoD and stupid BS games that are the same thing as every other game released in the past 15 years (only with better graphics), doesn't mean Demon's Souls sucks. Your just too young and ignorant to fully enjoy it. This is definitely a "mans" game, it will kick you when you are down, and will not let up.

This game was worth 60 bucks, and is definitely worth $40-50. The experience will not be as great as it was before, as I am sure the community of people playing it has died off. I really hope they release some of the DLC for it to spike up the interest again. We shall see. I want to get on to my second play through once I get through a few of the newer games I have purchased.[/QUOTE]

God, you presume so much of someone who simply disliked a game you like. It's one thing to unfairly criticize a game and another thing to bash someone for their criticisms.

I haven't played this game, but it seems incredibly divisive from what I've read: either you love it or hate it. I have two friends who rented it...one ended up really liking it and the other ended up hating it. The fact that they both have good taste in games just shows me that it's simply a game that clicks for some and not for others...no need to berate one group or the other for that.

I can see myself trying this out, but not until it drops some more in price.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']All of the hype surrounding DS's supposed difficulty reminds me of the marketing campaign for how John Romero's Daikatana would make a player his bitch. It starts to sound phony after a while.[/QUOTE]

That's because Demon Soul's difficulty was and is overhyped. It's only difficult if you rush into everything, play it like it's God of War, and you don't learn from your mistakes.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']That's because Demon Soul's difficulty was and is overhyped. It's only difficult if you rush into everything, play it like it's God of War, and you don't learn from your mistakes.[/QUOTE]

I'm only a few hours in but this seems about right. Like someone else said you just have to be careful and go slow. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.

The Game is NOW $45.45.

I had it in my Cart and it just showed the price decrease today.
Sweet! I just bought it.

Can't wait to play it.
I've been wanting this game forever but since I get almost all of my games through TRUs deals/giftcards I never bought it. Damn TRUs for not carrying this game.

[quote name='MaxPower2']The Game is NOW $45.45.[/QUOTE]

For those that have no idea what he is referring to, that would be the current Amazon price.

Is this game worth getting at this point in terms of the online? I have heard the online has kind of died and it is a big/fun component of the game. Wait for the sequel?

[quote name='powersofi']Is this game worth getting at this point in terms of the online? I have heard the online has kind of died and it is a big/fun component of the game. Wait for the sequel?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the online died - it just depends on your SL. I know there's a lot of players around SL 100 or so that loves to invade (I get hit a lot - I'm 115). But online does bring a fun component into the game play - I just wish the developers would integrate a better way to communicate rather than using PSN's chat/msg system. It's hard to communicate with the blue phantom(s)/host regarding strategy or that a black phantom is invading since there is no pausing. I died a couple of times because of this.

bread's done
Back