Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

I might build a Hunter class as well to try it out. My current character is a little slow footed but can take more damage...

I was just online for an hour session. It took me about five tries to connect so I'm thinking there must be a lot of people playing the beta today.

[quote name="Kazeno Katana" post="11941239" timestamp="1405897618"]Would love a beta code if anybody has a spare.

(Edit) Received one.[/quote]
Ah, glad to see you got your ticket to one of the funnest shooters I've played... And Bungie is saying we've only seen a small amount of what's in store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, glad to see you got your ticket to one of the funnest shooters I've played... And Bungie is saying we've only seen a small amount of what's in store.
Kind of find it coincidental you made me PM you even though you saw my post and after waiting 2 hours not even 5 minutes after I say I got a key you posted. If you didn't have a key to begin with that's totally understandable but still not sure why you told me then.

You're paranoid. I have two keys, I was mowing my lawn... Do you need clippings as an evidence sample?

If you can't be bothered to wait then preorder the game next time. I was going to be doing you a favour, God...

I actually did preorder it but I redeemed my code for the Xbox One because I didn't expect to buy a PS4 so soon. :|

Obviously doing anyone a favor is a thing to be grateful for it just seems really odd.

You read my post and could have just PM'ed the key if you had one but instead had me send you a PM first telling you I wanted one. I sent the PM 5 minutes after you asked for it and your profile said you were on when I checked after sending it but you apparently waited 2 hours and then posted right after another kind CAG gave me one.

I don't owe you anything. I have a code, I had a code and when I came back I found out you had a code. It all worked out for you so please spare us all from the tinfoil hat enduced theories...

In my first post in the thread I mention these two codes. They're still sitting here on my laptop going to waste...

Didn't take long but I received the Iron class marks for my Hunter and Titan. Just wish the Warlock mark was holographic like the ones sold from the Speaker.

[quote name="Supplice" post="11941836" timestamp="1405910014"]Didn't take long but I received the Iron class marks for my Hunter and Titan. Just wish the Warlock mark was holographic like the ones sold from the Speaker.[/quote]
Have they decided whether our progress will carry forward?

Decided to do Iron Banner at the first instance today. Received the most horrendous lag ever in the first match, but I could see the action fine and they could kill me fine. Decided to save it for the hell of it so others can laugh at this pathetic display because of the lag. Was testing new Auto Rifles as well and decided the first one I tried was terrible, not that I could tell in this match anyhow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TxpBjxsGU

This is the first time I've lagged in Crucuble, not counting people dieing within a second after I "kill" them when it happens. Hopefully the maintenance will fix that.

The loot system in PVP is SO bad. I do well and I dont get shit while crappy players get everything lol Also, the vehicles are way overpowered IMO.

Just played Destiny via Vita remote play for an hour. It's pretty good, although I think I'd prefer to do the trick to get a dualshock working with it. The Vita also fits is the dualshock 4 phone clips you can buy, so perfect.

The Vita will be good for grinding out levels or better gear. I would not want to use it for PVP though...

Well i won 5 matches i believe and completed a bounty hunter iron banner, but the store was locked by the time i was done. So hope to see it open tomorrow. I even did some missions to get 4,000 money, i forget what its called. lol

I don't think it should carry over.  I'd be pretty disappointed if I started the game off behind others, just because they played in the beta.  I played in the alpha, but have been holding off on playing in the beta because I'd like to play both the Xbox One and PS4 versions simultaneously to compare between the two.

All in all, I really doubt things will carry over.  Unlocking an emblem that says "I played in the beta"?  That's cool.  But gear and other specialty things that weren't made clear before the beta?  Not cool, and Bungie knows that.

[quote name="vashtheowner" post="11942297" timestamp="1405924756"]I really hope that at least some of the equipment carries over. I got a lvl 20 legendary weapon thats pretty annoying to look at atm, and just thinking that it will just get deleted makes me a little sad. [/quote]
Yeah but we're being treated here so don't forget that.

I hear you though, I've just been dismantling anything above lvl. 8. Some really nice gear has been sacrificed for meaningless things as resource management isn't something you have to worry about when you assume to have it all snatched from you anyway.

The loot system in PVP is SO bad. I do well and I dont get shit while crappy players get everything lol Also, the vehicles are way overpowered IMO.
It's like CS Go where it's random. I actually prefer that it's random because then you are not punishing players who don't play hours a day and become masters of it.

Vehicles are kinda OP though.

Played a lot of the beta over the weekend. Here are my impressions of Destiny:

- Overall great game. I always enjoy the sense of community of being in a large world so the MMO feel to this game felt very satisfying. It's awesome to just walk around the Tower and interact with other live players and/or trek through your missions and hook up with random people for some co-op. Being an ex-PC gamer, I miss the "world" feel I get from MMO's so I think it's really cool that Destiny is put together this way. It's not revolutionary, but it's ambitious and I think it'll do well in the long run.

- It's an MMO so you're going to revisit maps a lot. That's how it works. Being a beta, I can see it confusing people thinking that's the only map. There's going to be tons to explore. I doubt this game will be lacking in content and space.

- The game is certainly more fun to play cooperatively. I ended up doing most of my missions on my own. With how the console gaming community is, I'm afraid the only realistic way to play through missions from start to end is to invite players directly. The online gamers don't have that sense of community just yet so people I played with would just constantly drop out at will. It was disappointing to go from 3 to 1 so quickly as it would have been more fun to play in groups longer.

- The looting and HP's are a nice blend of Borderlands. It's good to know that you don't have to worry about shared looting. The hit points are helpful because I know if I got a headshot or not. Not to mention, with the wide array of weapons, you'll want to know if which guns are the most effective.

- Respawning in campaign. As I've gotten older, I've become more impatient with games so I'm not in favor of the backtrack respawning. I prefer a more "checkpoint" type of respawn that Halo employed. I get it though. It makes the game too easy so that's totally a matter of opinion that I'm sure some will like/hate.

- The visuals on my PS4 were impressive. I have a 1080p display so my wife who doesn't play games is always a good objective litmus test. When she walked by me playing the beta she asked me, "wow what game is that you're playing?" I told her Destiny and she said "Destiny looks really good." That was so hot. But seriously though, I can get a little bias so she's always been a good reference point for me when it comes to graphic fidelity.

Some questions:

- Does each class have a unique vehicle? I was a Warlock so I rode on the Sparrow. In PvP, I got my ass handed to me by opponents that had vehicles that had weapons. I don't think my vehicle has the ability to shoot? It seems way too OP for me.

- There's going to be a learning curve with the verticality element. I held my own on the ground level against PvP opponents but would constantly get worked by the run and gun folks that knew how to move around the higher ledges. Sort of like Titanfall. But better.

- Can you change your appearance/customization? I didn't fiddle around much in the options screen but it would be nice. I jumped into my game too quickly and I'm stuck with a level 5 female. I don't want other dudes to get the wrong impression lol.

- The beta should have been more clear about how to access PvP. I only knew how to get to the Crucible after reading what others posted on here thanks to you guys.

- Anybody play both the PS3 and PS4 versions? Based on the online testimonies, is it true that the games are like night and day? If so, I'm glad I upgraded to the PS4 just in time for Destiny.

PS3 compared to PS4 (Digital Foundry)

Overall, it's hard not to come away impressed by the Destiny PS3 beta. Yes, the textures, lighting and effects are dialled back to varying degrees and the image quality takes a noticeable hit when switching back and forth with its technical successor. But the world still looks consistent - and if Bungie's aim is to prioritise a stable 30fps experience during both campaign and multiplayer, this is already a job well done.
You do kinda get used to the sub-sampled 1024x624 resolution being stretched to 720p but it's never not a blurry mess.

i agree that the beat should have told you how to access pvp online gameplay i hope it's in the main game or alot of people will think it does not have pvp gameplay. 

- The beta should have been more clear about how to access PvP. I only knew how to get to the Crucible after reading what others posted on here thanks to you guys.
There was actually a bug for me. Usually the game would tell me when something is important at the tower on my set destination screen. When I unlocked Crucible, it didn't and I was wondering where the fuck the multiplayer is. Then I read I had to talk to the guy at the tower.

- Can you change your appearance/customization?
No option for that in the Beta.

- Does each class have a unique vehicle? I was a Warlock so I rode on the Sparrow. In PvP, I got my ass handed to me by opponents that had vehicles that had weapons. I don't think my vehicle has the ability to shoot? It seems way too OP for me.
There are no unique class vehicles. On the Moon map, there are only two Pikes (heavy Sparrow with weapons) and the Interceptor (tank) that spawn for both teams.

Personally, I don't find the vehicles OP since you can use the Turrets to decimate them, head shot the driver ;), use supers, and fire heavy weapons on them.

Well there are vehicles where the description indicates that they are tweaked/made by/made for a certain class but it's not a limiting factor. (and I would've used the purple Warlock ride no matter what because = purple)

Screenshot_2014-07-21-12-33-00_zpsnvrdlcni.png

[quote name="Supplice" post="11943111" timestamp="1405963401"]No option for that in the Beta.

There are no unique class vehicles. On the Moon map, there are only two Pikes (heavy Sparrow with weapons) and the Interceptor (tank) that spawn for both teams.

Personally, I don't find the vehicles OP since you can use the Turrets to decimate them, head shot the driver ;), use supers, and fire heavy weapons on them. [/quote]
The Interceptors are such a pain in my ass. There is a mad rush for just the one on each side, then a showdown Interceptor vs. Interceptor, then one comes out victorious and spends the next five minutes hammering the shit out of the flag points. There is no easy way take these guys out on foot unless they're dumb enough to drive into the line of a turret without being aware of the turret. I mean an Interceptor vs. Turret showdown turns out an Interceptor win just about every time unless the rider doesn't have a clue.

Can these guys be sniped off the Interceptor with one or two head shots? I know it's not possible with a pumped up lvl 8 scout rifle, that's for sure.

Anyone have any tips on wasting these riders? Maybe hold out and wait for heavy ammo and hope you don't get killed before getting an Interceptor in your line of vision?

Oh and the most killer thing happened last night. They other team had an Interceptor and then got the next one that spawned as well. So then our team was in a case of having to take on both at two different flag points. We lost badly.

Can these guys be sniped off the Interceptor with one or two head shots? I know it's not possible with a pumped up lvl 8 scout rifle, that's for sure.

Anyone have any tips on wasting these riders? Maybe hold out and wait for heavy ammo and hope you don't get killed before getting an Interceptor in your line of vision? Oh and the most killer thing happened last night.
Rockets & Supers do a good job at killing them (Besides the obvious turrets). Sniping is also a good way to one or two-shot them out. You can take out the driver with normal weaponry as well. You can also take out the interceptor as well with your weaponry, but it's more difficult and you'd have to do it from a range because if they start going after you, you're going to need to stay out of sight.

Going up against them on-foot straight on is bad. Sometimes it can't be helped, but grenades (particularly the Warlocks void grenade) can kill a driver if they're too stupid to be constantly on the move. You can't jump on them because if they speed, you're dead.

Better drivers are more difficult to take out, which is why when I'm on the moon I switch my special weapon to a sniper rifle. It's the best way to deal with them. You can change during the intro to the stage without "losing" your special ammo if you normally carry a shotgun or fusion rifle.

If you're a hunter, use cover for your super though. I've taken out several who decide to change in front of me and I kill them while they waste their super. I'm sure I've pissed off a few people by killing them after they decided to go golden in front of me when I was in an interceptor.

Is this game more focused on versus modes (TDM, capture the flag and so on) or on coop modes? Thanks.
It seems pretty even.

Can these guys be sniped off the Interceptor with one or two head shots? I know it's not possible with a pumped up lvl 8 scout rifle, that's for sure. Anyone have any tips on wasting these riders?
It only takes one headshot or two body shots with a sniper rifle to take out a driver. If it takes more than that, your hitting the vehicle. :???: Just fly up to the top of buildings to get a better view.

Is this game more focused on versus modes (TDM, capture the flag and so on) or on coop modes? Thanks.

Versus.

Is this game closer to Halo or borderlands
To me it feels like halo with borderlands weapons, gears. You are always finding new guns or gear that is better. Enemies have a level, so if you go after higher level enemies you will get your ass handed to you. But the mission areas do seem short, so its not like a long level. Well the devils lair was one that can take 30+ minutes. I was playing that with one other guy because the third guy dropped out. So it was tough in some parts, and killing that spider type machine took a long time. But at least to me the gameplay feels more like halo. But i can see it being pretty close to both.

Man im having Destiny withdrawals. Cant believe i said i was bored with it after the first day. Now i wish i could play it more.

[quote name="Draekon" post="11943930" timestamp="1405981616"]Rockets & Supers do a good job at killing them (Besides the obvious turrets). Sniping is also a good way to one or two-shot them out. You can take out the driver with normal weaponry as well. You can also take out the interceptor as well with your weaponry, but it's more difficult and you'd have to do it from a range because if they start going after you, you're going to need to stay out of sight.

Going up against them on-foot straight on is bad. Sometimes it can't be helped, but grenades (particularly the Warlocks void grenade) can kill a driver if they're too stupid to be constantly on the move. You can't jump on them because if they speed, you're dead.

Better drivers are more difficult to take out, which is why when I'm on the moon I switch my special weapon to a sniper rifle. It's the best way to deal with them. You can change during the intro to the stage without "losing" your special ammo if you normally carry a shotgun or fusion rifle.

If you're a hunter, use cover for your super though. I've taken out several who decide to change in front of me and I kill them while they waste their super. I'm sure I've pissed off a few people by killing them after they decided to go golden in front of me when I was in an interceptor.

It seems pretty even.[/quote]
That's some great ideas. I like to use a scout rifle and so carrying a sniper rifle too would hurt me in close quarters where average to good players will kill you twice over before you kill them with your fists.

What is your primary on the moon map if your secondary is the sniper rifle?

[quote name="Supplice" post="11943995" timestamp="1405983492"]It only takes one headshot or two body shots with a sniper rifle to take out a driver. If it takes more than that, your hitting the vehicle. :???: Just fly up to the top of buildings to get a better view.

Versus.[/quote]
Yeah it's tough to do in the heat of battle with other people zeroing in on your gun fire and with the Interceptor buzzing around.

I was playing with my friend last night and we came across a place called the "grotto", the enemies had question marks next to their name. Of course our weapons didn't make a dent and we were one shot killed. I coulnd't even drive my pike through real quick, it would get blown up in 2 seconds lol

Destiny was fun
for one day
ha, did you play the alpha by any chance? I played the alpha to death and I think I burnt myself out for the beta since there really isnt anything new.

I'm pretty damn hyped for this game so I won't play the beta much so as to not burn myself out. I'll just play it to whatever level I need to be to receive any rewards you get for playing the beta (Could have sworn I read something about this).

Lest this ends up like Titanfall where I get all hyped up for it and it gets boring in 3 days.

To me it feels like halo with borderlands weapons, gears. You are always finding new guns or gear that is better. Enemies have a level, so if you go after higher level enemies you will get your ass handed to you. But the mission areas do seem short, so its not like a long level. Well the devils lair was one that can take 30+ minutes. I was playing that with one other guy because the third guy dropped out. So it was tough in some parts, and killing that spider type machine took a long time. But at least to me the gameplay feels more like halo. But i can see it being pretty close to both.

Man im having Destiny withdrawals. Cant believe i said i was bored with it after the first day. Now i wish i could play it more.
I wouldn't really compare it to Borderlands because with that game, everything is randomly generated with regards to equipment. In Destiny, you have a set number of weapon types for a set number of weapons and then a few random upgrades that each piece of equipment can generate. It just has equipment like many other games that enemies drop. Though I guess people who are more into the shooter genre specifically will see it as some comparison to Borderlands.

It's an amalgamation of several types of games, but doesn't really straight up copy them. In a way, I'd compare it more to Shovel Knight in the respect that it takes a bunch of stuff from various games and makes it an enjoyable experience without feeling like it is a straight copy of anything, but hitting on all the points that makes it enjoyable. Of course it won't ring true with everyone, but yeah.

I don't particularly mind the maintenance as I'm only casually playing the beta with a friend more or less because we'll likely lose everything. I just wish the release wasn't two months away approximately. Now that I've played the Alpha and beta (and put in way more hours than I thought I would), it's going to be rather annoying because I've been waiting for a shooter that I could get into for some time. The game isn't without its problems though and hopefully they will get fixed as in the video I saved below (Skip to the first 'holy shit desync' a minute in since the URL time skip doesn't seem to carry over into CAG embedding):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TxpBjxsGU&t=60s

That's some great ideas. I like to use a scout rifle and so carrying a sniper rifle too would hurt me in close quarters where average to good players will kill you twice over before you kill them with your fists. What is your primary on the moon map if your secondary is the sniper rifle?
In the alpha, I was exclusively Scout Rifle & Shotgun. Now in the Beta, I've been touting an Auto Rifle (Mostly because people were destroying me too easily with them in Beta) and either a Shotgun or Sniper Rifle depending on the map. Venus can go either way depending how I'm feeling, but Mars and Rusted Lands are exclusively shotgun. There are four types of Auto Rifles, I use the second fastest speed one with a 44 clip size (There's a bug with the green vs the white names and I'm not sure if it's stats or just the name as the white version of the gun I'm using is faster in stats). I'm a Warlock and have often been able to take out two people in one clip while abusing cover. Though having 100% grenade cooldown speed and faster melee due to my helm does help a lot. Particularly because Warlock's void grenades are incredibly deadly if you use them correctly.

Also, Sniper Rifles do a good bit of damage at close range too if you're able to hit someone with hip fire using it. I've accidentally no-scoped a few people because they crouched while I was gunning for them.

http://www.bungie.net/en/Legend/2/4611686018428395793/2305843009214604036

I have other weapons in my inventory/storage that I've been trying and my latest one is equipped currently.

[quote name="Pliskin" post="11944384" timestamp="1405991610"]I was playing with my friend last night and we came across a place called the "grotto", the enemies had question marks next to their name. Of course our weapons didn't make a dent and we were one shot killed. I coulnd't even drive my pike through real quick, it would get blown up in 2 seconds lol

ha, did you play the alpha by any chance? I played the alpha to death and I think I burnt myself out for the beta since there really isnt anything new.[/quote]
I got a video on my PS4 of me getting annihalted by those two "gate keepers".

I bet you there is a sweet loot chest just around the bend...

In your first mission area after you've made it to the tower there are at least two areas underground with high level enemies who can wipe you out with one shot anywhere as well. I know because I got killed by them too... LOL

In the alpha, I was exclusively Scout Rifle & Shotgun. Now in the Beta, I've been touting an Auto Rifle (Mostly because people were destroying me too easily with them in Beta) and either a Shotgun or Sniper Rifle depending on the map. Venus can go either way depending how I'm feeling, but Mars and Rusted Lands are exclusively shotgun. There are four types of Auto Rifles, I use the second fastest speed one with a 44 clip size (There's a bug with the green vs the white names and I'm not sure if it's stats or just the name as the white version of the gun I'm using is faster in stats). I'm a Warlock and have often been able to take out two people in one clip while abusing cover. Though having 100% grenade cooldown speed and faster melee due to my helm does help a lot. Particularly because Warlock's void grenades are incredibly deadly if you use them correctly.

Also, Sniper Rifles do a good bit of damage at close range too if you're able to hit someone with hip fire using it. I've accidentally no-scoped a few people because they crouched while I was gunning for them.

http://www.bungie.net/en/Legend/2/4611686018428395793/2305843009214604036

I have other weapons in my inventory/storage that I've been trying and my latest one is equipped currently.
Hey, thanks I'm gonna keep playing around with stuff. I wish the vendors in the tower had some top notch level 8 weaponry.

I havent had any lag in games ive played, and i have a 2.8mb down and 0.5 up connection.

I know all too well in matches where i keep getting killed by shotguns in only one shot. over and over and over. Of course i think it was in the iron banner. I keep wanting to say the iron curtain lol.

One thing i love is how you cant use your "nades" that often. Some games are too nade happy, and i think destiny does well in managing a players nade supply so its an option but its not too much.

I havent had any lag in games ive played, and i have a 2.8mb down and 0.5 up connection.
My video was an extreme case that only happened once to me (Right when Iron Banner opened Sunday in the first match). I have a much faster connection than you and very rarely actually have lag caused on my side of things.

Most of the lag in the game is related to how often clients send and receive information. It's a bit slow in Destiny and causes a bunch of times where you kill someone, but they don't die yet and it causes them to be able to continue to damage you. This in turn cases you both to die despite you dealing enough damage to kill him before he actually killed you. It's a bit too common and rather frustrating when it happens when you know you've clearly killed him before he killed you, resulting in a death.

I'm hoping that the Xbox side of things get the same issues that the Playstation side of things have. That way it should be caused by the destiny server side of things and not PSN. Unless of course this maintenance changes things to try and fix some of the issues here. I don't recall it being quite as bad in Alpha when it came to kill trading (Possibly due to less load on the Destiny server). Here's to hoping we get some good maintenance before it comes back up.

I'm sure it will eventually get ironed out, I'm just hoping it's sooner rather than later.

Now that you mention it i remember a few times when i would melee someone and they would die a second later. I just figured that it was some kind of attack that drained their power over time and once hit, they eventually lost enough power to die if they were weak enough.

bread's done
Back