Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

I havent played the Beta yet on either console but the crushed blacks do look bad on the X1 shots. However, I do prefer the colors, they are more vivd.

The gamma and contrast levels are turned up on the xbox version which leads to crushed blacks and over saturation. MS has been doing this since the 360 days and its terrible IMO.

Yeah I am not mad about them doing it. It makes sense to stress the servers. I mostly find it funny how the entire marketing campaign revolved around this beta for a pre-order but now everyone can try it.
Yeah thats kinda lame, but whatever its not like the codes were hard to come by anyway. That being said, I really wish they'd raise the cap or at least add a new strike mission or something before it ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
The gamma and contrast levels are turned up on the xbox version which leads to crushed blacks and over saturation. MS has been doing this since the 360 days and its terrible IMO.

Yeah thats kinda lame, but whatever its not like the codes were hard to come by anyway. That being said, I really wish they'd raise the cap or at least add a new strike mission or something before it ends.
gamma and contrast can be changed if game allows it or don't be lazy and fix it on your tv :wall: i don't have crused blacks on destiny on x1.

gamma and contrast can be changed if game allows it or don't be lazy and fix it on your tv :wall: i don't have crused blacks on destiny on x1.
In no way am I an expert at this but what if you have your TV calibrated? Wouldn't that mess things up? Again, not a expert so excuse me if this is a stupid question

[quote name="The 7th Number" post="11953853" timestamp="1406247004"]Im playing on PS4 and my black areas are pretty dark. Could be my tv though, or maybe i adjusted the dark slider too much to the dark side.[/quote]I have a 6 year old 1080p Sony Bravia. The game looks great on there. I did bump up the brightness one notch from what Bungie recommends in the game though.

I was playing some free roam tonight and ran into a bit of lag in one area. Enemies were literally disappearing before my eyes and lagging to other spots. I think there was only one other player in the area. Hope its not that bad when the full game comes out. I also lost my connection to the game when i was playing earlier today and had to load my character up again. These two things could be really annoying while playing the main campaign.

So I did research on the black level issue since Im still undecided on which console to get the game for, and there does seem to be a problem with crushed blacks on the X1. However, it only occurs when the game is upscaled to 1080p.

"Crushed blacks only happen on games that are using the upscaler to output 1080p. If they are able to release the game in 1080p, then this won't be an issue anymore."

So that sovles it then since it will be 1080p on the X1. The X1 beta is currently running at 900p and being upscaled so thats why there's a black level issue. Should not be a problem at launch since the game will be at full 1080p according to bungie.

I will be downloading the beta tonight, Im going to go with the Warlock on my first run. I cant wait!

Edited

We need to remember that identifying these things now is what the beta is all about.

It wouldn't hurt to voice your problems to Bungie. This could lead to them being fixed before release or via a day one patch.

Just played Devils Lair for the first time. Sweet and I love how they team you up with others.

You know when i first started playing the game i would always hit options to see my character and thought it paused the game. Thats until one time i heard me getting shot at while in that menu. Thats one thing that i dont like about the game, there doesnt seem to be any way to pause the game unless you go into orbit. Sometimes things come up and you have to stop playing. I even tried to hit the PS button to go to the dashboard but i was still getting killed then too. I guess you just have to find a spot where enemies dont spawn and hide there while you do what you gotta do.

You know when i first started playing the game i would always hit options to see my character and thought it paused the game. Thats until one time i heard me getting shot at while in that menu. Thats one thing that i dont like about the game, there doesnt seem to be any way to pause the game unless you go into orbit. Sometimes things come up and you have to stop playing. I even tried to hit the PS button to go to the dashboard but i was still getting killed then too. I guess you just have to find a spot where enemies dont spawn and hide there while you do what you gotta do.
Yep this is what they call a persistent online world. Dude there are no breaks at all in an MMO, and no kidding, Destiny is pulling off a great feat of mixing FPS and MMO, I mean it's not the strongest at either but there are some great perks about the game.

Has anyone tried to go the 2nd mission as level 2 and select hard? I could not get past the no respawn zone. The boss was just way to difficult with hordes of enemies coming every couple of minutes. I ended up running out of ammo a lot and when I came out to get more ammo that's when my shields would nearly get depleted. I tried the run as a warlock. Not sure if a titan could have withstood the assault.

I really want to like this game but I just don't. On paper it is a game that sounds amazing. But I just find it so boring. Exploring seems bland and dull with almost no loot or rewards. The guns and gear are also incredibly boring. I like the MMO aspects and the "dungeon" or strikes as they're called but other than that it's meh. And only 20 levels? The PvP didn't impress me either.

I find lots of loot. Lots of uncommon gear. Keep in mind you're in beta and capped at lvl 8. You gonna try and tell us you have awesome gear in WOW by lvl 8?

I'm hoping many other games with low levels that they increase the cap.

i played the beta, it is pretty barren if you play alone. i spend most of my time goofing off and doing emote in the tower. i actually jump off the tower , and died . LOl, which i didn't know could happen. i saw someone playing soccer in the social tower

I really want to like this game but I just don't. On paper it is a game that sounds amazing. But I just find it so boring. Exploring seems bland and dull with almost no loot or rewards. The guns and gear are also incredibly boring. I like the MMO aspects and the "dungeon" or strikes as they're called but other than that it's meh. And only 20 levels? The PvP didn't impress me either.
It would be better if the game was a proper MMO. The way it is now, it's MMO-like with three players. Like you, I found it very boring.

Are you guys playing solo by any chance? When I did I lost interest quick, but once my friends hopped on it was fun exploring with them and I started to see the potential. Plus, the content is very limited so I think thats a contributing factor as well.

I think the PvE portions of the game are very good, or at least the potential is there. Especially the Strike missions, if you play with friends or competent players. However the PvP needs some major tweaking. The different weapons and classes result in some very unbalanced matches when compared to Halo.

[quote name="YBX87" post="11954785" timestamp="1406268701"]i played the beta, it is pretty barren if you play alone. i spend most of my time goofing off and doing emote in the tower. i actually jump off the tower , and died . LOl, which i didn't know could happen. i saw someone playing soccer in the social tower[/quote]
Level and do Devils Lair. It won't feel barren. You feel satisfied once you beat the boss if the mission goes like mine. No one on my friend list is playing the beta and that might be because it's the middle of July but either way, in that mission they pair you with two others randomly.

[quote name="kill3r7" post="11954952" timestamp="1406286908"]I think the PvE portions of the game are very good, or at least the potential is there. Especially the Strike missions, if you play with friends or competent players. However the PvP needs some major tweaking. The different weapons and classes result in some very unbalanced matches when compared to Halo.[/quote]
a few nights ago I went from Scout rifle to full auto assault rifle and resultswise it was like I went from a street mime to Rambo.

a few nights ago I went from Scout rifle to full auto assault rifle and resultswise it was like I went from a street mime to Rambo.
You are absolutely right.

IMO, the scout/pulse rifle is the equivalent of the battle rifle from Halo, my favorite weapon, but it lacks the necessary punch in PvP. Two or three burst to the head with the scout rifle should be enough. I hope they tweak it before release, same with the hand canon. The hand canon should be one or two hit kill (headshots). I wonder if the game would benefit from making weapons class specific.

All and all, I enjoyed the game immensely but the PvP still needs a bit of tweaking.

Yeah, the scout is a precion weapon which should beat out most full autos at mid range but not the case.

It would also be nice if they had a scout that shot three round bursts. Those would be more effective in the current balance. Two trigger pulls to the head would definitely take care of business then.

I was going to purchase this game, but found out how you can't play with friends unless you have PS+ so I'll probably just GameFly this to do the single player campaign.  I don't really consider this game as a MMO since you only always see 3 other players at any given time(minus the crucibles of course) and the world isn't really persistent(everyone is on their own quests, isn't shared with every other player in the game).  Just because you can't pause the game doesn't mean it's a MMO.  Although technically you CAN 'pause' it, just hit options and go to orbit.  Really not a big fan of paying to play online.  It's like paying for tethering.  No thanks.

I was going to purchase this game, but found out how you can't play with friends unless you have PS+ so I'll probably just GameFly this to do the single player campaign. I don't really consider this game as a MMO since you only always see 3 other players at any given time(minus the crucibles of course) and the world isn't really persistent(everyone is on their own quests, isn't shared with every other player in the game). Just because you can't pause the game doesn't mean it's a MMO. Although technically you CAN 'pause' it, just hit options and go to orbit. Really not a big fan of paying to play online. It's like paying for tethering. No thanks.
i kinda get the same feeling playing the beta. it is just basically borderlands 2 with better graphics, and user interface. and the added multiplayer pvp. plus some of the features require either a ps plus subscription or xbox live gold subscription. it is basically another form of monthly fee with your regular mmos.

I completely agree. I am playing on X1 but this forum is much busier but yeah the PvP is not up to snuff.

I get the idea of having your characters in the game and gives you something to work towards but I would love to see just an even playing field option. How they would handle that I am not sure but you can't look at this as a competitive fps then until there is such an option. Otherwise it is always very unbalanced.

I hopped into PvP and was getting one-shot killed around EVERY CORNER. I couldnt do a thing because when I would get to an enemy I would either be dead or my weapon did little to no damage. Not like I suck either. Been gaming since Quake and Doom days and always have a 2.0 k/d and over a 1.3 w/l in CoD and Halo.

If the PvP stays similar to this I will only touch it as endgame stuff with a maxed character.

Plus since Titanfall was my last main FPS now I am much more accustomed to each skirmish taking more time. I really like that in Titanfall you work to get a kill and it isnt simply oh I shot you first because I saw you now you are dead. That however is how this PvP has felt.

I FREAKING LOVE THE PVE though ahah but playing by yourself is lame and the game truly shines when cooperatively playing PvE.

Yep, PDT. I actually enjoy the Iron Banner PvP a lot more than the regular Crucible one.
Me too. I've performed better in Iron Banner than in regular Crucible.

YBX- How is needing PS+ like an extra fee for an MMO? You need Plus to play any PS4 game online. The parts of Destiny that don't require other people also don't require Plus to play.

Broly: Were you playing Iron Banner? Because, in regular Crucible PvP, there are no weapon or level advantages. All that is disabled.

i have played story stuff with people and alone. I admit it's more fun with people but it's nothing ground breaking as i was hoping for. It feels like borderlands which we have played for years now and mp is pretty much a new shiny halo heck even score board is halo looking. I have already deleted my pre order at gamestop it's going to be gamefly for me. 

Plus it's coming out at a not so great time for me with madden/nhl. Very good chance i will not play it until early 2015.

Just got this message in an email from Bungie

It's time to fight, Guardian! Play the Destiny Beta tomorrow, Saturday July 26th, from 2pm to 6pm PDT, and earn a permanent, exclusive in-game reward.

Broly: Were you playing Iron Banner? Because, in regular Crucible PvP, there are no weapon or level advantages. All that is disabled.
Not sure. I just hopped on over last night and played.

If that is all balanced then, I do not like it hahah

Like I said I am no scrub when it comes to competitive FPS but I am just not feeling this one. Each interaction was over within a second and I should not be able to be killed with one shot from almost everyone else on the team.

lol at everyone complaining that this is just a shiny Halo considering that it was made by the team that made Halo the Xbox system seller it is.

They're hating on it because it is not a Xbox exclusive and also because Sony is pushing the game hard for it on their own system. If this is an Xbox One Exclusive that same person would declare this game as the greatest thing ever and also a system seller for the Xbox One. Just fanboy stuff, very obvious and ridiculous if you think about it.

They're hating on it because it is not a Xbox exclusive and also because Sony is pushing the game hard for it on their own system. If this is an Xbox One Exclusive that same person would declare this game as the greatest thing ever and also a system seller for the Xbox One. Just fanboy stuff, very obvious and ridiculous if you think about it.
Ironic statement that would probably work both ways. I imagine if this was an Xbox One exclusive the people in this thread would just say it's a "Halo Clone" "Plays like crap" etc.

Honestly I'm not digging the game. Not sure if I was just expecting something else but nothing about it is standing out for me. I'll probably pick it up on Black Friday if it hits $40 but I am definitely going to cancel my preorder.

[quote name="Supplice" post="11955753" timestamp="1406312397"]I'm always in a party of three at least. More so for PvP.

Scout rifle is actually top tier and already does that. ;) Sounds more like the pulse rifle, that gun is horrible in PvP.[/quote]
It says scout rifle and one bullet comes out per trigger pull...

[quote name="BrolyB593" post="11955546" timestamp="1406307474"]I hopped into PvP and was getting one-shot killed around EVERY CORNER. I couldnt do a thing because when I would get to an enemy I would either be dead or my weapon did little to no damage. Not like I suck either. Been gaming since Quake and Doom days and always have a 2.0 k/d and over a 1.3 w/l in CoD and Halo.If the PvP stays similar to this I will only touch it as endgame stuff with a maxed character.[/quote]I brought my lvl 6 hunter to the crucible and everybody else was lvl 8. I held my own. There are two different match settings and those are one where lvl matters and one where it doesn't. I've been playing since the start of the beta and I've only come across games where it does not matter... Maybe you had a bad game or went up against a very skilled player? I know my first few games I got owned, but once I knew the maps and where the campers frequented, where I could get blind sided, etc. I started doing better. Then I switch to full auto and now I'm doing good.

In my first game i got booted half way through. Then played a few games no problem. My last game was really laggy, like guys teleporting as im shooting them in a vehicle and they just straight up disappear. I have to look around to see where the hell they went.

Am i the only one that has trouble seeing who is the enemy? I was playing on mars and flag B, half the time i couldnt tell if it was a teammate or the enemy because it was CQC. Also half the time i lose sight of these people. LOL.

In my first game i got booted half way through. Then played a few games no problem. My last game was really laggy, like guys teleporting as im shooting them in a vehicle and they just straight up disappear. I have to look around to see where the hell they went.Am i the only one that has trouble seeing who is the enemy? I was playing on mars and flag B, half the time i couldnt tell if it was a teammate or the enemy because it was CQC. Also half the time i lose sight of these people. LOL.
Friends and enemies are color coded. Basically red (enemy) and blue (teammate). There is no friendly fire on PvP so don't hesitate, when in doubt just pull the trigger.

They're hating on it because it is not a Xbox exclusive and also because Sony is pushing the game hard for it on their own system. If this is an Xbox One Exclusive that same person would declare this game as the greatest thing ever and also a system seller for the Xbox One. Just fanboy stuff, very obvious and ridiculous if you think about it.
yes im bashing it because it's not x1 only get GET OUT OF HERE :wall: i was hoping for something new from bungie it's just mix of games i have played many times. Heck i hated titanfall so yeah this has nothing to do with fanboy oh and i have ps4 so just stop.

I bought the iron banner cape for my hunter. Then i started to play as my titan with 30 min left of the iron banner event, bought the bounty for 20 melee and 10,000 points and skipped on the top score because no way id get that. So about two matches in i end up with the highest score on either team and we won the game. I should of bought that bounty! LOL

I'm really torn now.  I'm at work and tried Remote Play on the Vita for this . . . and not only did it work, it works *well*.

Crap.  I might get it for both consoles.

And here's my thoughts on the game in general:

It's a World of Warcraft shooter.  You can tell that Activision really took a lot from Bungie in the addicting gaming section.  With this in mind, I get the feeling they are going to build onto it over time like WoW, and add features n' the like.  Kotaku wrote an article on it which described it best.

http://tay.kotaku.com/world-of-destiny-more-than-a-shared-world-shooter-1609578918

I see a lot of potential.

The Martian map is fun. First time play tonight and while I played like shit I'm gonna post a video for you all to see in case you haven't played that map.

bread's done
Back