Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

It will sell better than anything we've seen hit PS4 to date. Big install base, lack of many great games, good time of year to release, successful beta, lots of hype, it all adds up. This game is a million times better than Watchdogs by the way... Come on.

It will sell better than anything we've seen hit PS4 to date. Big install base, lack of many great games, good time of year to release, successful beta, lots of hype, it all adds up. This game is a million times better than Watchdogs by the way... Come on.
i mean in sales, i never said watch dogs was a good game. watch dog is basically splinter cell + hacker power , with assains creed elements/ gameplay in an open sand box world/ enviornment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watchdogs would have been good if it came out on PS2. I mean seriously, it was open world blah, mixed with alright modern graphics.

There are a lot of last gen title that were a lot better than this. Hell, GTA Vice City Stories for PSP was far, far, far more entertaining and that machine was capable of PS2 graphics at best...

Watchdogs would have been good if it came out on PS2. I mean seriously, it was open world blah, mixed with alright modern graphics. There are a lot of last gen title that were a lot better than this. Hell, GTA Vice City Stories for PSP was far, far, far more entertaining and that machine was capable of PS2 graphics at best...
especially when they placed the date embargo on the review sites. i knew something was up.

I loved Watch Dogs so I don't understand all the hate it got. The gameplay was really good, the graphics were great, and despite what a lot of people said I really got sucked into the story and the characters.

Definitely a solid 8/10 for me and I'm excited to see where the franchise goes.

I will be shocked if it is not a hit. I think Bungie is safe either way as Activision is footing the bill. Worse case scenario they can always go back to making more Halo games.
It's just that normally MMO's do poorly on consoles.

Granted it's not out but if all you do is fetch items and kill X creatures and dance in groups of people, it's just a WoW with guns?

I think Destiny will be a hit when it first comes out, theres too much hype surrounding it for it not to be. The big question is will it have legs. I mean look at Titanfall, the game was hyped to the moon and back and was supposed to be the big COD killer but after a couple of months it fell off the map. Also, I think the no randoms matchmaking for raids and story missions is a big mistake.

Destiny Beta infographic from Bungie's Weekly Update.
That is pretty good but how many will not go on to buy it? They need those 4.5 million and a lot more. A back of the envelope calculation says they need to sell 12-15 million copies of Destiny to break even on the 500 million budget. That doesn't include marketing. Activision must think this will sell 20 million like COD.

I think Destiny will be a hit when it first comes out, theres too much hype surrounding it for it not to be. The big question is will it have legs. I mean look at Titanfall, the game was hyped to the moon and back and was supposed to be the big COD killer but after a couple of months it fell off the map. Also, I think the no randoms matchmaking for raids and story missions is a big mistake.
atleast it doesn't charge you a monthly fee like elder scrolls online.

Anyone want to group up for Destiny?  Looking to make new friends for PSN and would prefer CAG players.  If you do just send me a message that your from CAG to PSN: Xenoflowne.  I mostly play 7 pm - 1 am EST.  Really want to try out the raids in Destiny.  

Here is a cool little video from IGN showing off a level 29 titan.

Im pretty sure no matter what class you pick you will find some badass things to gear up with when you get into the higher ranks. :)
I also remember the Hunter Bladedancer from the beta video.

[customspoiler='Bladedancer in Action']
64773f.gif
[/customspoiler]

It will definitely be interesting to see how well the game is received. 

It's still a very different game and not some recycled shooter.  Being an MMO shooter on consoles gives this IP the chance to break ground since the target audience isn't used to getting this type of experience.  I'm unsure whether the inability to provide matchmaking raids is going to be a good thing or not.  I can see it being a bad thing when you can't just jump in with a bunch of randoms but I also see it as a good thing since it prevents people from dropping out of their teams without consequence.  Whenever I play with my friends, I always communicate to them when I have a match or two left in me before I quit.  It's frustrating when you're in the middle of a co-op mission and your teammate drops out on you.  By creating a greater sense of "community," the MMO will have the best chance of surviving in the long run.

Also, the $500M budget isn't totally accurate.  That's just a projection if they create enough additional content for the life of the game.  It's factoring in additional planets, missions, modes, etc.  The future plans have not ironed out yet.  I've seen reports about additional DLC/expansions and other reports about additional release games (discs).  Bungie and Activision will be more concerned with the success of the launch release and the two expansion packs before they figure out exactly what to do next. 

Why is everyone calling this game a 'MMO' when clearly it's not?  Planetside, now THAT's a MMO shooter.  This game is just a 'MO' shooter.  There's nothing 'massive' about this shooter other than its budget.

I'm unsure whether the inability to provide matchmaking raids is going to be a good thing or not. I can see it being a bad thing when you can't just jump in with a bunch of randoms but I also see it as a good thing since it prevents people from dropping out of their teams without consequence. Whenever I play with my friends, I always communicate to them when I have a match or two left in me before I quit. It's frustrating when you're in the middle of a co-op mission and your teammate drops out on you. By creating a greater sense of "community," the MMO will have the best chance of surviving in the long run.
Should just add a tick mark you can check if you want to also have the option to jump into a raid that is already in progress when matchmaking. That way if it is going on too long and one or more people drop out (either because they get bored or lose connection or whatever) other people can jump in to fill up the empty slots. That seems like a better solution than limiting high level raids to players who know 5 other people who own the game on the SAME console and can be on at the same time for hours at a time.

Bungie will eventually get to the point where it becomes a question of "Why are we pouring all of these resources into end-game raid content that almost no one experiences?". At that point = *poof* raid matchmaking enabled.

I'm more concerned with the fact that they know the above to be true but yet they didn't even try to innovate and craft the best, most robust and most intelligent system that they could in order to help facilitate decent PUG raiding via matchmaking. To not even try is kinda fucking pathetic really.

I don't have many PSN friends. I had lots of Live friends but I'm a Sony guy mostly now due to time and what I'm looking for. So, I'm down for matchmaking all the way. That said, anyone who looking for people to play with this September, please add me. I'd rather play with a regular group than random people all the time.

I'm in MST zone and I usually sign on at around 10PM.

I'm actually glad they're not using the resources for a pug/matchmaking system.
If Destiny's raids are to be these expansive, complex and time-consuming things then they will take a significant allocation of development bandwidth to produce, tune and maintain. Perhaps the better thing to wonder is what Activision will think of Bungie's allocation of resources when the output is experienced by such a small number of players. (along with their refusal to at least try to boost that number with matchmaking)

Again, this is all kinda silly considering that there's one damn raid at launch. It might be better to examine that fact and apply it to hardcore PvE raiders given how quickly they'll chew-through that one raid and be left wanting/demanding more end-game raids thus serving to further compound the issue of producing content which most people never see.

I don't think so. They are probably happy by the huge turnout and the many, many, many preorder.
They've been really receptive to the fans too. If you don't like the game then that's too bad but I think many do like it and will play it.

Given the amount of resources invested into the game I think they don't break even on game sales and instead they turn the profit on the planned DLC.

Bungie has a perfect world concept where 6 buddies come together and play a raid.

It is probably really rad when it works.

However, I'm an adult with small glimmers of free time.  Sadly, my wife doesn't find it all too interesting to watch my play video games.

Thus, when I have time to actually meet with my 2 other friends that own PS4s, it would be nice to do a raid.

The funny part is matchmaking is just a middle-man of sorts.  I'm going to end up going on a forum, such as CAG, and requesting to play with random people anyway.

It's basically just a really stupid idea.

Maybe there is no matchmaking because they know people tend to quit for dumb reasons. If these take 30+ minutes to complete, i bet two randoms would have left before 20 minutes is up. Ive already seen a couple times one of the two randoms i get paired up with leave during the Devils Lair mission in the Beta. Maybe they just feel that adding friends would better your experience to these raids and make them more fun, rather than having to deal with randoms. It would be nice to have the option to play with friends or try randoms.

[quote name="gthirst" post="11995307" timestamp="1407598974"]Bungie has a perfect world concept where 6 buddies come together and play a raid.

It is probably really rad when it works.

However, I'm an adult with small glimmers of free time. Sadly, my wife doesn't find it all too interesting to watch my play video games.

Thus, when I have time to actually meet with my 2 other friends that own PS4s, it would be nice to do a raid.

The funny part is matchmaking is just a middle-man of sorts. I'm going to end up going on a forum, such as CAG, and requesting to play with random people anyway.

It's basically just a really stupid idea.[/quote]
I agree with most of this. It should be setup like WOW.

Once the rubber hits the road they'll end-up turning it on soon enough. (it's kinda like watching MMO developers try to charge a monthly fee and profess how different they are only to go free in 6-12 months like everyone said)

I just think that they should do it soon and do it well rather than sloppily bolt the strike matchmaking onto raids.

Because it's an MMO?
It has elements of an MMO.

right from Bungie.

(side note - no beta characters will be moving foward to the release. All characters have been deleted from the beta. I'm very happy to hear that. No one gets a head start).

Asked as part of the latest Bungie Weekly Update if the studio ever gets tired of people called Destiny an MMO, the developer said it enjoys the constant debate about how to classify the game.

"Not at all. Do you guys ever get tired of us insisting it's not an MMO? Debate about this game is always fun, and we welcome it," Bungie said. "The ideas that are shaping Destiny come from a lot of different places. We're drawing the best elements from experiences we love. Like an MMO, our game will compel you to explore."

"You'll embody a character that evolves on that journey. Unlike an MMO, the entire experience is built around heart-pounding action that you'll see through the eyes of your hero," Bungie went on.

"Ultimately, we're looking forward to knowing how you describe Destiny, once you've played it."

Bungie saying its not an MMO isn't proof of anything, they are probably just trying to avoid that stigma. Its quests take place on one large planet map rather than designing a new level for each mission along with grindy reputation missions. Random players wandering around the same game map with the ability to party with them. Boss Raid missions designed for parties of 3 - 6. But the real reason people probably call it an MMO is because it requires an active online connection even to play the campaign which allows other players into your game whether you want them or not, there is zero purely single player content. The implementation is remarkably similar to Defiance, which is another science-fiction themed MMO which features real-time shooting combat. Even the payment system; no monthly fee (other than Xbox Live/PS+), the only cost is the initial software purchase; has been done before with Guild Wars.

Other than your opinion it's not "massive" enough (I imagine in terms of party size) what specific ways is it unlike an MMO?

This game does NOT have a MMO experience when playing.  You can call it a MMO all you want, but you will be WRONG.  

So if Call of Duty has elements of a RPG(leveling up) does that make it a RPG game?  

What does that mean?  Can I rally up a group of UNLIMITED (ok maybe not unlimited but let's say 30) people and have a Hunter vs Titan battle ANYWHERE in ANY ZONE?  Nope.  You can do this in any other 'MMO'.  

15 minute matches in random unconnected maps does not a MMO make.

An "open" world to explore where you bump into many randoms doing repetitive fetch quests over and over. In a world that is always online. Some missions force you to team up with others via matchmaking or party search (friends list / The Tower). It's a MMO.

Any game you have to "login" to the servers before you can play? That's a MMO. You are in their world, and they can actually drastically change it after a year or so if they want to, like WoW changed after Cataclysm expansion. The day one version of Destiny will pretty much never exist since they'll be constantly updating it, changing anything they want, balance fixes, NERFs, etc. Take a 2-3 month break from the game, come back to find your weapon loadout nerfed and your character sucks until you grind for more upgrades. That's a MMO. "Remember that fan you could jump around with in the Tower? It's gone forever now since you have to update the game before you can log in." As an example.

The biggest flaw, imo, will come when you are in a 30+minute mission, fighting your heart out. You are about to kill the boss but your internet goes out. What will the game do? Disconnect you. It's a MMO. There are actual "dark zones" that limit respawning in some missions, and also randoms no longer appear. What I'm wondering is if those zones are true single player and you can lose internet connection in there? I'm guessing still no, but maybe.

Leveling up doesn't make something a MMO. Guild Wars 1 had a level cap of 20, and you get level 20 after a very short time, but still has years of content to explore and fight. Heck, in the pre-searing you can get level 12 in an hour, and pre-searing is like 3% of the world.

Guild Wars you cannot challenge anyone to PvP anywhere anytime, it's still a MMO. Borderlands 1+2 you CAN challenge anyone anywhere to a duel in PvP, it is NOT a MMO.

Destiny is GameStop’s most pre-ordered new IP ever

Destiny is GameStop’s most pre-ordered new IP in history, Activision announced during Sony’s Gamescom press conference this afternoon.

Additionally, developer Bungie announced that the game’s first expansion pack, ‘The Dark Below,’ would arrive in December and feature a PlayStation-exclusive map called “Blue Exodus.”

A new trailer was also released, showing off the game’s competitive multiplayer, through which players can battle other Guardians and earn special armor, weapons, and gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20opyh1pLYg

-----------

Gamescom PvP - Shows different subclasses/high level action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyopXs5vCMU

I will be playing this heavily so anyone looking for a group to do raids and such feel free to message me and we'll start setting things up.  PSN name is TheUMX.

I'm in the same boat. Don't have many PS4 friends and that's the system I'll be getting this on. My PSN is ArJay2k8

Destiny Devs Explain Fireteam Size, Old Russian Real Estate, And The Unbeatable Ogres From The Beta

We are now about as far away from the Destiny beta as we have to wait before the game launches on September 9, making it the perfect time to catch up with the team and discuss the future. We sat down with production director Jonty Barnes and senior designer Nick Davies to discuss the reasons behind some of the gameplay design decisions.

One of the things we discussed in our recap of the beta was the instances of the different locations across the solar system. This causes a few wrinkles when joining friends, but Barnes makes a case for Bungie's decisions.

"One thing that we always wanted to do as we made Destiny, was to make sure that there was one player bucket," he explains. "We didn't want to shard players into different servers, so we could all play together if we wanted to play together. But more players in a space doesn't always mean better gameplay. In fact, we learned from the work we did on previous Bungie games that three was very much the sweet spot for fireteams to be able to coordinate. It creates a triangle formation, so you can always have a good combatant experience and always be progressing."

With regard to progression, the beta capped players at level eight, but Bungie threw in some enemies that were simply impossible to deal with. "We call those guys 'bouncers,' Carroll told us. "There are places you can go and some people made a sport of it, where you can speed-run through. If anybody hits you, you're dead, but you can speed-run through and get to the other side and see places you're technically not supposed to be. You're in danger, and you can see there's much more to the destinations. If there's a door, you're going to want to walk through it. But we put it just out of reach for a while."

Gating wasn't the only reason these superpowered enemies were present. "We also needed to know that our bouncers were working," Barnes chuckled. Given that the Ogres were blocking off parts of the area, we were curious how much of Old Russia was left undiscovered by players.

"You've seen a lot of the real estate of Russia.," Barnes says. "Destiny is a huge game. There's the four planets (if you call the Moon a planet). Those are huge spaces, and it's way bigger than anything Bungie has ever created before. It's not just about pure real estate. There are activities as you get to a higher level that will drive you back to the Cosmodrome. It's got this point that when you get toward exploring a lot of the areas, we still have new things for you to do. We're always going to be changing it up. We haven't even talked about raids or other things like that."

Part of the benefit of the beta and playtesting is getting weapon balance right. We can expect that Bungie will be tweaking, buffing, and nerfing elements (and extensive patch notes are promised). Carroll tells us that it took a shift in perspective to move from balancing Halo titles to something with far more diversity.
"It's way harder. It's way, way, way harder," he says. "Halo had something like seven guns and one character. We branched out a bit with Halo Reach, adding armor abilities and things like that. We do a ton of design work on paper and spreadsheets. Once you get past that point, we're iterating and playtesting every day in the lab. We did that for years. The sandbox team is doing that every day."

Fixing weapons isn't always about tweaking the damage or fire rate, though. Sometimes "feel" is as important as data. "A lot of times, there are weapons on paper that are totally even. In practice, there is something wrong with this gun," Carroll says. "It just isn't satisfying. Rather than tuning the numbers, sometimes we need a better sound. Then we change the sound effect on the weapon and, suddenly, it's the best weapon in the game."

As for the post-launch future, Bungie has announced that the first expansion pack, The Dark Below, will be arriving in December. We don't know much about it yet, but Barnes says that there's something for everyone in the add-ons. Destiny expansions will have some of each type of gameplay: multiplayer, story, and co-operative play. The Dark Below will have its own story arc, with more lore to take in.

So, I just read the Bungie Weekly Update for this week . . .  and yeah, Destiny is definitely stealing a lot from what they learned from the World of Warcraft crew.  The Raids sound pretty damn identical to WoW's, even down to the lockout timer being a weekly reset (on Tuesdays).

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing as of yet.

You know, with all the backlash on how many story missions and areas there are...  It reminds me how far we have come with games and how much better they have become.

Phantasy Star Online was amazing.  It had 4 areas: Forest, Caves, Mines, Ruins.  And 2-3 areas inside of those.  The missions were all thrown in there and only really a handful were important story missions.  The replay value, grind, and looting was great.  It was heraulded for this.

Now Destiny, has way more content than that, and people are saying it doesn't have enough in the game.  Seeing as to how this game has scary resemblance to PSO smooshed with Halo it is rather surprising.  It has already shown it has way more content than any Halo game (well except the MCC but that's not very fair).

It clearly isn't supposed to be WoW with guns.  It's supposed to be somewhere in the middle, searching for a sweet spot.  Hopefully at release, it will find the sweet spot.

I went in to Destiny with low expectations in the Beta and was impressed.  I actually wanted it to be a flop deep down.  After playing the Beta I only want it to succeed and it is one of few games I've preordered.

Phantasy Star Online was amazing. It had 4 areas: Forest, Caves, Mines, Ruins. And 2-3 areas inside of those. The missions were all thrown in there and only really a handful were important story missions.

[,,,]

Now Destiny, has way more content than that[...]
That's...pretty much what Destiny has. 4 planets, with one destination (albeit fairly large destination) per planet.

Edit: Not saying there isn't substantial content, gameplay-wise, but not simply based on number of areas.

So this, Diablo 3 and Madden 15. My game time is booked solid until next year unless Destiny ends up somehow leaving me not as impressed as the beta did.

Hey guys.  If you do the Destiny Planet you get a special emblem.  It's actually pretty cool and has some neat stuff to check out.

If you want to skip all that, go here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2fadoy/psa_the_code_for_the_destinyplanetviewcom_special/

Also, check the link for other codes redeemable on Bungie.net.  I redeemed 17 codes for "Destiny Collector's Card #1-17".  Not sure what they are for, but I'm guessing we shall see.

Collector's Card info

Also: Preorder Call Of Duty Advanced Warfighter and get a code on your receipt for a Legendary Armor
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/preorder-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-get-destiny/1100-6422049/

At gamestop: http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-day-zero-edition/114918
Look on the page, it is shown there.  Code will be printed on receipt/in an e-mail.

bread's done
Back