Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

Get better gear/level up your character. it's really as simple as that.
No it isn't. Each gun type (auto-rife, shotgun, etc) has about 4 different archetypes (eg., balanced, bigger clips but less stability, more damage but less range, etc.). Other than which of those 4 archetypes your gun belongs to, and which mods your eq has on it (eg. throw grenades farther), your gear matters NONE. A level 1 common balanced autorifle is exactly the same as a level 20 balanced autorifle in the Crucible. Defense stat doesn't count in crucible. Attack stat doesn't count in crucible. Your level doesn't count in crucible (other than access to stuff like different types of grenades).

Edit: ^^^ applies in crucible. Iron Banner is another story altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
- It's strange to me is why the game isn't full of people running around. I am in Russia doing patrols but no one is around.. the odd person is "near me" but with probably a million people playing this I figure the lobbies would be packed with people.. I am not sure what the player count is for each server / area at a time but say if each area has a limit of 24 players roaming at one time it should be full all the time right? This game seems like such a closed experience so far, unless you're with friends.
Like you say, there's more than one instance of each world. You can see this by finding a level with a friend icon next to it. If you play that level without joining their fireteam, and then look at the roster of everyone in the game, the vast majority of the time, your friend isn't going to be there. I don't know what the max is per instance, but I've always had like a dozen people in each of my worlds. Personally (and it is just personal preference, I suppose), I don't want my world filled with strangers killing everything in sight while I just meander from point A to point B to complete my objective.

your gear matters NONE.
Mostly correct except for one thing. The bonuses you get from gear like faster melee and such can help quite a bit. This makes gear matter to a point and can, in the right situation, lead to a big boon to yourself over the enemy.

Stats though, don't matter. Much like you were saying.

(Increased melee speed has saved my ass a number of times and larger clips/faster reload is quite nice too)

EDIT: Also, Intellect only seems to be available on higher level equipment. Which helps recharge your super faster.

No it isn't. Each gun type (auto-rife, shotgun, etc) has about 4 different archetypes (eg., balanced, bigger clips but less stability, more damage but less range, etc.). Other than which of those 4 archetypes your gun belongs to, and which mods your eq has on it (eg. throw grenades farther), your gear matters NONE. A level 1 common balanced autorifle is exactly the same as a level 20 balanced autorifle in the Crucible. Defense stat doesn't count in crucible. Attack stat doesn't count in crucible. Your level doesn't count in crucible (other than access to stuff like different types of grenades).

Edit: ^^^ applies in crucible. Iron Banner is another story altogether.
You're right, I was thinking of Iron Banner when making the comment. Although, as Draekon said bonuses are very helpful.

[quote name="madcatz1999" post="12081489" timestamp="1410322279"]Someone's gonna have to give me some tips for Crucible. Evidently, I kind of suck at it.

What weapons are most people using? Auto-rifles for close range with sniper rifles for long range? Shotguns for close range with something else (what?) for long range?

I'd be happy if I could get my k/d ratio up to 1.0[/quote]
Level up. Get some new abilities. Use full auto weapons as primary always. Use all your grenades every life.

[quote name="kaiyouske" post="12081118" timestamp="1410312825"]I'd much rather have a 3 hour quality game than a 20 hour sub par game that I'm not willing to finish. [/quote]
I don't know what you're saying. Is the 11 hrs good or bad?

I picked mine up on Midnight and played till 4am. I wasn't very good. I got a warlock up to lvl 9 and then yesterday restarted with a hunter and enjoy it more. I really liked the mission that you fight that huge mechanical spider. That enter mission was pretty challenging at lvl 8.

Oh god... The spider battle is boring. I had to go on like four ammo runs before the thing died... Maybe it was my teammate, who knows maybe it was me but that thing wasn't fun to fight just boringly long. The fight right after with the giant robot eye was fun though.

- It's strange to me is why the game isn't full of people running around. I am in Russia doing patrols but no one is around.. the odd person is "near me" but with probably a million people playing this I figure the lobbies would be packed with people.. I am not sure what the player count is for each server / area at a time but say if each area has a limit of 24 players roaming at one time it should be full all the time right? This game seems like such a closed experience so far, unless you're with friends.
It probably has to do with the way they shard iterations of the planet map. In a traditional game, there would be one planet map and you would drop down, move around and pick what mission you want to do, so that anyone playing on that planet map could be paired together.

In Desitny you pick a mission and then drop down. So I imagine if you are say, playing mission 3, the only other people you will meet are people also playing mission 3. That's probably a side effect of missions treading over the same path on the map, it wasn't possible to match and spawn people on different missions together on the same planet map. Since there is very little incentive to replay story missions, you are not going to run into many people while playing as anyone currently playing that planet is spread thin across the 10 or so different mission iterations of the planet. It's why after a week or two I expect the story mission areas to be a fuck in' ghost town even at peak hours. In the beta I probably only saw a maximum of 4 other people at the same time on a story mission. Compared to when I did the available raid when it was completely crammed full of other people.

[quote name="kaiyouske" post="12082217" timestamp="1410360547"]In plain English, quality over quantity. [/quote]
I think I can read unless I've been mistaken all these years. In plain English, are you saying quantity or quality in regards to Destiny? Most of us are talking Destiny but you seem to be talking riddles.

[quote name="Draekon" post="12082207" timestamp="1410360349"]The Fallen's Spider Tank isn't that bad. Out of all the strikes, the Moon Strike is the hardest though.[/quote]
Oh, I don't think the robot spider was difficult, just boring. The fight inside where you're analyzing the probe or whatever it is with waves of knights, snipers, banshees and all sorts of melee things was much more challenging and intense. There is hardly time to take cover when your shield gets knocked down..

Same thing for the robot eye.

Hey guys, haven't been on the boards much lately but I have Destiny and would love to have more people on my friends list to play with: PSN: Eradicator31

Yea story 5 on hard was pretty bad pretty much had to play chase with the thrall. The giant eye (thinking you are talking about the one in the earth strike?) if you run to the hall on the left you should be good for almost all of the fight. Beat him solo last night this way without any deaths. You just have to run out and kill people to get ammo.

I think I can read unless I've been mistaken all these years. In plain English, are you saying quantity or quality in regards to Destiny? Most of us are talking Destiny but you seem to be talking riddles.
You're the one that posted about 11 hours for Destiny is 'typical for a company that made CoD', not me.

I'm not even talking about Destiny, I'm talking about in general, I would rather take a short, high quality game over a long, mediocre game.

Oh god... The spider battle is boring. I had to go on like four ammo runs before the thing died... Maybe it was my teammate, who knows maybe it was me but that thing wasn't fun to fight just boringly long. The fight right after with the giant robot eye was fun though.
I'm assuming you figured out how to open it's shell, right? Funny thing is, the legs all had 19% more health in beta. So, it seems like you weren't the only who thought it was too long.

Seems like I might be getting better at Crucible. After I made the post last night about it, I went back and played 4 matches, and probably averaged about a 1.0 k/d.

Been playing with some friends today, like Borderlands this game is much more fun playing with people. I almost don't want to play it alone really.

Been playing with some friends today, like Borderlands this game is much more fun playing with people. I almost don't want to play it alone really.
Yeah, I've only played solo so far and I haven't been incredibly impressed. Unfortunately most of the people I'd play with are on PS4, and I'm on PS3.

I don't know how much game time I've got on it, but I got a level 14 hunter. Overall I think its a solid game, its no game changer, but I'm enjoying it. Hopefully the expansions really help improve the game rather than just some tacked on junk to bring in $$. Would really love an improved social system in a future patch or something. Kinda sucks that this is suppose to have a mmo feel to it, but you won't see it unless you play with friends. Also less linear missions would be good too.

Been playing a bunch, managed to make it to Mars so far since the friend I play with can't get on until night time. Had a fellow CAG egizz hop into our game and help us out, it was pretty cool. The Moon's strike was a pain in the ass, my god. All of us dying and running around while the timers counted down. Took 5+ minutes to kill that thing.

Anyways, we're looking for a 3rd to play with us doing bounties and what not via fireteam. We usually play from 7/8PM EDT to 2AM give or take. I dislike the 3-member cap in fireteams... I have 2 other friends but we can't play together so we're left doing 2 and 2 zzz

(Ideally, someone who has Skype would be good. We're on it 100% of the time while playing)

[quote name="AvengedBacklog" post="12084581" timestamp="1410436064"]I did the Earth strike last night and was not impressed. I hate randoms in fire teams who don't communicate[/quote]
Isn't that like 95% of gamers in shooters these days?

I got my game from dell a day earlier than expected, played some last night and got to level 4 or 5. Would have been higher if i didnt spend about 3 hours customizing my character, playing the first mission, then deciding i didnt like her, and doing it all over again 3-4 times. LOL. I dont even know why i care so much, the only time you see the players face is in cut scenes or in the tower. Even if you inspect another players character they dont show you their face. Funny cos in a game like saints row i basically pick default guy with no hair and i dont care.

So far its been just like the beta i played. Except it feels like im leveling up slower. So im here replaying missions trying to level up so i can move onto the next mission. I know im not required to be a certain level, but i want to be close enough that i dont get my ass handed to me.

I got my game from dell a day earlier than expected, played some last night and got to level 4 or 5. Would have been higher if i didnt spend about 3 hours customizing my character, playing the first mission, then deciding i didnt like her, and doing it all over again 3-4 times. LOL. I dont even know why i care so much, the only time you see the players face is in cut scenes or in the tower. Even if you inspect another players character they dont show you their face. Funny cos in a game like saints row i basically pick default guy with no hair and i dont care.

So far its been just like the beta i played. Except it feels like im leveling up slower. So im here replaying missions trying to level up so i can move onto the next mission. I know im not required to be a certain level, but i want to be close enough that i dont get my ass handed to me.
The game seems to level you up at just the right pace. There was once I was a level or 2 too low for the mission, but when I finished it, I had leveled up and was right back on course for being the right level for the next missions

Have found that this game is really only enjoyable when playing with friends. It can be okay alone, but it really isn't comparable. Did the Earth Strike Mission with 2 other friends once we met the level recommendation. Was pretty intense and a lot of fun. Crucible isn't too bad either, even though I suck right now.

Isn't that like 95% of gamers in shooters these days?
Unfortunately.

I remember back in the day with Rainbow Six and stuff on the Original Xbox, you were hard pressed to find someone WITHOUT a mic. Same goes for Halo 2 and all of the OG Xbox Live titles. Nowadays you are lucky to find a single person a night with a mic : /

This is why I never play online games anymore really unless I have friends to play with because you lose so much I feel when you are just completely isolated that way.

Someone's gonna have to give me some tips for Crucible. Evidently, I kind of suck at it.

What weapons are most people using? Auto-rifles for close range with sniper rifles for long range? Shotguns for close range with something else (what?) for long range?

I'd be happy if I could get my k/d ratio up to 1.0
Besides leveling up, use pulse rifles and fusion rifles or sniper rifles (map depending). Those are top tier in the Crucible currently since the nerfs to ARs and scout rifles :???:. Always check your radar and crouch to conceal your own steps if you plan on staying in one spot. Lastly, be wary of any corner if your radar lights up since it's highly likely someone camping with a shotgun in that direction.

Lately in Destiny, I have been mark farming and getting more rep. :)

I've actually gotten a lot better at Crucible over the past day or two since I posted that.  I guess it just took practice and experience.  I typically finish in the top 2 or 3 on my team on control now, and almost won a rumble this morning.  I wonder how much it is just the matchmaking kicking in, though.

Might have to try out the pulse rifles.  Haven't really tried those much yet.

Besides leveling up, use pulse rifles and fusion rifles or sniper rifles (map depending). Those are top tier in the Crucible currently since the nerfs to ARs and scout rifles :???:. Always check your radar and crouch to conceal your own steps if you plan on staying in one spot. Lastly, be wary of any corner if your radar lights up since it's highly likely someone camping with a shotgun in that direction.

Lately in Destiny, I have been mark farming and getting more rep. :)
Does this pertain to PvE? I've been using AR w/ best class scope as a Warlock b/c the mobs were bullet sponges in the beta and AR was the only thing fast enough to kill them with.

Edit: Also, anyone find a use for the materials yet? Except to do exchanges, I've not exchanged anything yet since it seems you can only do them in bundles since they have a number besides them.

[quote name="Nax5" post="12085040" timestamp="1410452095"]Have found that this game is really only enjoyable when playing with friends. It can be okay alone, but it really isn't comparable. Did the Earth Strike Mission with 2 other friends once we met the level recommendation. Was pretty intense and a lot of fun. Crucible isn't too bad either, even though I suck right now.[/quote]
None of my friends really game anymore so I've been forced to play with randoms. Luckily I've added a bunch of people from CAG to my list recently.

Unfortunately.

I remember back in the day with Rainbow Six and stuff on the Original Xbox, you were hard pressed to find someone WITHOUT a mic. Same goes for Halo 2 and all of the OG Xbox Live titles. Nowadays you are lucky to find a single person a night with a mic : /

This is why I never play online games anymore really unless I have friends to play with because you lose so much I feel when you are just completely isolated that way.
Yeah, I played a lot of 360 back then. R6: Vegas is one of my all time favourite games for multiplayer. Terrorist hunt was so much fun and like you said, everybody was talking. It was the other end of the spectrum.

What did you guys do with the free month of PS+ that came within the game? Apparently its only for "new" users and i cant even use mine. Well maybe i could use it when mine runs out and redeem it with a second account.

[quote name="The 7th Number" post="12086378" timestamp="1410480804"]What did you guys do with the free month of PS+ that came within the game? Apparently its only for "new" users and i cant even use mine. Well maybe i could use it when mine runs out and redeem it with a second account.[/quote]
Yeah it wouldn't let me redeem. Tried it just in case.

Does this pertain to PvE? I've been using AR w/ best class scope as a Warlock b/c the mobs were bullet sponges in the beta and AR was the only thing fast enough to kill them with.

Edit: Also, anyone find a use for the materials yet? Except to do exchanges, I've not exchanged anything yet since it seems you can only do them in bundles since they have a number besides them.
Weapon balance changes affects both PvE and PvP. Anything works in PvE, so just equip with what you like. :)

Materials are only meant for exchanges atm.

pretty much everyone has  4 days to get to level 26 so we can do Raids GO!

upcoming_events_inline.jpg

Seems like the random (rare?) Exotic vendor is up for the duration of today. He's by the Crucible Vendors.

http://imgur.com/a/0tEDa

Im level 12 or 13 right now, just unlocked venus. But i still have a couple moon missions left to go.

Played some pvp and its alright. Sometimes i feel like i do enough damage to kill someone and they dont die. Like throw a nade at someone, then shoot them, and melee them and they still have half their life bar after they kill me. I try to use automatic guns in pvp because i think its easier to hit the target with. Then i always die with one shot from a shotgun. :/ But ive had a few good games, positive K/D and we won. But right now im more interested in the story.

Word is the higher level rare items may require materials for upgrades so I think I'd hold on to the materials rather than do an exchange for now.

Im level 12 or 13 right now, just unlocked venus. But i still have a couple moon missions left to go.

Played some pvp and its alright. Sometimes i feel like i do enough damage to kill someone and they dont die. Like throw a nade at someone, then shoot them, and melee them and they still have half their life bar after they kill me. I try to use automatic guns in pvp because i think its easier to hit the target with. Then i always die with one shot from a shotgun. :/ But ive had a few good games, positive K/D and we won. But right now im more interested in the story.
Does the story pick up in the missions? Because I'm level 11 and there's no story. Shipwreck nailed it on the CAGCast - it's a fun game but it has zero personality.

Guys, believe it or not I'm going to take advantage of the Edge Platinum membership 7 day return policy and get a full credit back for this game.

Don't get me wrong, the game can be fun and has a lot of potential but I'm at level 12 or 13 and I'm just not feeling it enough to continue at this price tag.

I really tried to love it but at around $75 counting tax I'm not getting my moneys worth for what I want. I feel I can have more fun with $20 Minecraft.

There will be more shooters coming soon. I think the next COD has a lot of potential.

I did a gameshare with my best friend on PS3, the free PS4 copy was an easy sell as far as that was concerned. I definitely don't see myself playing this game long-term without friends/co-op and I'm hoping weekend events, title updates, etc make it more interesting. Given how long it's been in development and all the hype and polish, I'm surprised it's not more fleshed out - especially when there are such great examples set by other games, including Bungie's own work. I'm not really a fan of Halo but that series has way more personality than this game does.

So I tried to look through this thread but couldn't find the answer.

So I was wondering if my friend and I were both to buy copies of the game, could he and I play in the same house with our own ps4's and tvs, but under the same internet wireless connection?  I hope that makes sense haha. 

So I tried to look through this thread but couldn't find the answer.

So I was wondering if my friend and I were both to buy copies of the game, could he and I play in the same house with our own ps4's and tvs, but under the same internet wireless connection? I hope that makes sense haha.
If your connection is strong enough, sure thing.

bread's done
Back