Destiny (PS3/PS4) Official Thread

Taken king is on sale Black Friday. Already bought my little bro a copy of Taken King for X1. Figured I'd get him into my addiction. Lol. It's on sale for $32 with GCU at Bestbuy.

Feel kind of stupid knowing I paid so much more for two copies and every expansion as they came out. Now you get all of that for only $32. When day one people spent around $140.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thinking outloud...

Bungie is tracking this with a bungie.net account, but

-you need a PSN account to link to a bungie.net account and

-you need PS+ to play the PS4 version.

Is there a way to do this using the vanilla disc of Destiny only (AKA, no expansions).  I could try to do this on PS3, just to avoid the whole PS+ requirement.  I really only care about the new emotes

EDIT: answered my own question.  Says on the site you need to activate TTK on your console... so much for boosting this.

Hmm. Couldn't this refer-a-friend thing be achieved by creating a new PSN account and acquiring one of those 7-day PS+ trials? You'd probably need two PS4s to do this by yourself for the actual game play portion.

You could also partner up with someone you know by creating a new PSN account from that referral email to help them out and then they would reciprocate by doing the same thing afterwards to help you get the reward stuff. This way does sound like more work though as you'd have to run through whatever you have to do twice.

Or you could actually find someone wanting to jump into Destiny. Although I can't imagine there are a ton of those people out there at this point. 

This is a very weird program.

EDIT: Ah, so you do have to activate TTK. Well that complicates things. 

Its basically buy your friend destiny and force them to log in so you can get some stuff and then bungie hopes they get hooked in the meantime...meanwhile all of us are like hey I like tron speeder bikes too bungie gah!

Yep I tried to use a referral from a friend on an account that I haven't played on and it didn't work because no TTK. So basically no real way to get this new stuff unless you actually have a friend or you stalk people like 7 said.

I have ttk i just havent activated yet. I havent played destiny since HoW. I dont have a tv at the moment ,but hopefully BF is kind to me and ill have one by then.

Since I saw a few of you complaining about only getting one thing from your trials pacs, now is a good time to remind everyone.

Go to orbit after ALL activities.  Don't just log out.  Bungie finally admited that there is a bug where if you don't go to orbit after an activity, you could lose items that didn't make it to your inventory.  If you were supposed to get an item while in the tower, but your slots were full, it may not show up at the post master until you go to orbit.

Good news guys, Triplewreck and kinggothalion were both complaining on twitch today about refer-a-friend being bullshit, so expect Bungie to announce an alternate method for people to get the rewards within the next few days.

I sure hope so because the criteria is ridiculously stupid and limiting. They really should change all uses of the word 'Sherpa' to 'Salesman'.

This refer a friend is hilarious.  I just started a few weeks ago on Xbox to play with a few friends and they actually Sherpa/boosted me to raid levels as fast as possible.  It was funny that Black Spindle was my first exotic haha.

Yet they will get nothing.

So I have Destiny TTK owned digitally on PS4.  My wife has an account, but not PS Plus.  She can play all TTK content though when logged in.  I have a second PS4 right now (giving as a gift, but mine for now).  If I make it my 'master' console and she plays the TTK with the license, and I play on a different PS4 on my account, would I be able to do this?

I think it's kind of a moot point since I'm guessing Bungie will fix this at some point.  It seriously has nothing to do with Sherpas/sherpaing.

Your wife's account needs to own TTK on its own. If you activate your account and she plays under that, it won't count since you're still using your license.
This. The Refer-A-Friend is to get new players to a game that's plateaued. Having someone play on a different account using an old license defeats the purpose. I think the RAF program is a good idea but its implementation has been poor.

It would have been fine if they would have just implemented it from the start or created a way for veteran players to get the rewards without needing a new player. The way it is now is dumb and is mostly just going to lead to people picking up new players and abandoning them after they get the rewards imo.

The way it is now is dumb and is mostly just going to lead to people picking up new players and abandoning them after they get the rewards imo.
As long as bungie gets those sales! I messaged 4 people today that i saw in the cosmodrome that looked like noobs and none of them replied to my message. Even if they are new, some might not even realize the refer a friend program until after 7 days.

If any of you are collecting the stupid crap in the collection kiosks, visit Eva today to purchase the very rarely offered Winterborn Mark emblem.

So since Destiny is getting boring im trying to build my classes as specific builds.

Hunter, Gunslinger, Solar armor, sniper/rocket launcher. Trying for full intellect, half disc/str.

Titan, Striker, Arc armor, shotgun, machine gun. Full intellect, full discipline.

Warlock, Stormcaller, Arc armor, not sure on special weapon, Rockets. Full intellect, full strength... love that melee range.

Im trying to get the full iron banner sets for my hunter and titan. Still need helmets, and never got a titan chest piece that had arc armor perk. So i hope next iron banner they sell helmets and chest pieces. Not sure what to do with my warlock. Maybe go for trials set, only need the chest piece for that set.

I find myself only doing raids, nightfall, trials, iron banner lately. Really dont touch pve anymore.

The Chaperone better be worth it.
I don't think too many people use it and it's very underrated. That thing can make a 1v3 in trials become a wrecking ball win if played right. The gun is really good. Road born also activates if you get a headshot kill with your primary. Chaperone is scary when road born is active. Another reason I love chaperone is because it will melt a hammer Titan. I usually trade at the very least. And it's getting a precision buff to make it even better come the December weapon update. Oh and one hidden perk is it gives you more agility like the mida multi tool just not as much.

I use the chaperone on my titan and it really is good. Sometimes im amazed at its range when you aim for the head. Its all about aiming for the head though. Sometimes a body shot will still leave the guy with health left even at point blank range. but aiming for the head its good to get double downs or even more like stellar said.

Ive been playing destiny for 2 hours now, just going to the dark within mission on earth looking for noobs to message about doing the refer a friend quest. I actually got one to accept my referal just to find out he didnt have the taken king version. Thats as close as i got so far.

I use the chaperone on my titan and it really is good. Sometimes im amazed at its range when you aim for the head. Its all about aiming for the head though. Sometimes a body shot will still leave the guy with health left even at point blank range. but aiming for the head its good to get double downs or even more like stellar said.

Ive been playing destiny for 2 hours now, just going to the dark within mission on earth looking for noobs to message about doing the refer a friend quest. I actually got one to accept my referal just to find out he didnt have the taken king version. Thats as close as i got so far.
What a creeper.

Pst... you didn't hear it from me, see...

but Challenge mode is active for the Warpriest, see...

320 artifacts are dropping.  But you didn't hear it from me... say you did and I'll deny it til the day I die, see...

Do it in 2 DPS rounds with 2 different Aura holders.  I ran it not too long after reset and didn't get the rewards because I guess we had the same aura holder.  They thought it was because we wiped (previously) and half of them rage quit afterwards.

Edit: Maybe not even in 2 rounds, just different aura holders.

Changing subjects... If anyone here wants to trade the referral program cross-platform I'd be willing to buy into the PS4 version and be their referral if they do it for me on the Xbox One.  I didn't buy Taken King during BF but I'm sure there will be some sort of sale again by Christmas.  If anyone wants to commit to that then I'll buy it next time it gets cheap and we can go from there.

Yep the only requirement is that you can't have the same person hold aura twice. But the vast majority of groups take him down in two phases now so it's not really an issue.

Did two more Oryx clears tonight and didn't get a helm or primary. The second one gave me a 310 Zhalo and a 310 Last Word, without using a 3oC. Someone else got two exotics as well. Other than the challenge mode stuff, I didn't get anything useful today. 

I'm not sure what the Golgoroth challenge will be. They said people who do one orb strategy are screwed, so that would imply you can't lose his gaze. But even if you do six orbs, you lose his gaze. Taking him down in a single six-orb phase would be pretty tough, so that makes me think they wouldn't do that. Based on the Warpriest challenge, I doubt we're going to see anything that the vast majority of the player based can't complete. 

My guess for Oryx would be no duplicating relic runners. That's the laziest and easiest "challenge" they could throw into that fight so it would make sense.

I still haven't switched it out yet. It's going to take FOREVER to re-download everything I want on it (Destiny, Dragon Age, CoD, Fallout, Battlefront, etc.) 

I may set it up to DL everything before I go on vacation and just let it run.

I still haven't switched it out yet. It's going to take FOREVER to re-download everything I want on it (Destiny, Dragon Age, CoD, Fallout, Battlefront, etc.)

I may set it up to DL everything before I go on vacation and just let it run.
It was $60 right? Couldn't you just do a backup to another drive, install new drive, install firmware then restore from backup ?

It was $60 right? Couldn't you just do a backup to another drive, install new drive, install firmware then restore from backup ?
I'm hoping something like that can be done as I picked up one of those 2 TB hard drives last weekend too. I can't remember if game files/folders need to be re-downloaded or not (even if you have a physical or digital copy), it's been a while since I did this for my PS3 a long time ago. Mine won't arrive until Dec. 8th so I'm avoiding any unnecessary game downloads until then just in case.

That was a great suggestion Langdon, thanks for pointing that deal out.

I'm still waiting on my hard drive to get here on Friday. Got quite a bit of gaming hardware this Black Friday. Not so many games though. Been messing with my elgato and waiting on that hard drive. Pretty excited for those ps4 upgrades.

Now for some destiny related talk. Haven't played trials the past two weekends now. And have no desire to try challenge mode even though I probably will just to grab the 320 artifacts then quit after that. Haven't gamed much at all the past two weeks.

Now for some destiny related talk. Haven't played trials the past two weekends now. And have no desire to try challenge mode even though I probably will just to grab the 320 artifacts then quit after that. Haven't gamed much at all the past two weeks.
If you ever feel like playing trials im always down. I try to at least get the gold and silver packages on each characters. Plus getting the 50 marks is easy enough. Last week we went 8-0 without the mercy rule left and then lost. Thats as close as ive been since year 2 started. But usually i get around 4 wins and struggle to get the 5th. Not really that worried about getting to the lighthouse, but getting the flawless emblem, or even the scarab heart emblem would be nice.

Also i have a checkpoint at the relay if anyone needs it. The warpriest challenge is pretty simple. I think we took him down in hard mode in just two glyphs, got the challenge done every time. We really didnt even have to change anything up that we normally did in the past lol.

Also i have a checkpoint at the relay if anyone needs it. The warpriest challenge is pretty simple. I think we took him down in hard mode in just two glyphs, got the challenge done every time. We really didnt even have to change anything up that we normally did in the past lol.
YES! I'd love the checkpoint...

I'd love 5 other people to do it with this week too, but I'd settle for the checkpoint.

The relay part has to be the worst part of the raid, other than running in circles during the oryx fight. But i still want to do it every week to try and get 320 ghosts. I have 1 320 ghost, and my other two characters have 318s. lol

yeah, that's what I'm doing, but I did the same for my ps3 and I remember re downloading a crapton of stuff.

Also, I'm making a "kids" ps4 w/ Infinity, Skylanders, Rock Band and "Dad's" PS4 w/ Fallout, CoD, Dragon Age, etc. so I've got to swap (i.e. re-DL) a bunch of stuff.

7, according to everyone that has the scarab emblem, you can only get it from a random drop while playing on a card with 9 wins. So you have to keep playing on the same card after getting to the lighthouse. You can lose once you have the 9 wins. I've never gotten the scarab to drop for me but have seen it drop for 3 people so far that were with me.

Im trying to build an intellect and strength stormcaller. The tower doesnt have any helmets that are intellect and strength to buy. So i decided to plop down 100 marks on a helmet engram and hope i get lucky. Then i hit X and what pops up? An artifact. :/ Maybe iron banner will sell helmets and the warlock will be int/str or maybe i can get one to drop with those stats.

Was just thinking about the raid challenges. Warpriest gave a 320 artifact + 320 heavy/special weapon. So golgoroth usually gives armor as drops, can i assume that we will get a 320 armor piece. Can i also assume beating the Oryx challenge will drop a primary weapon or helmet thats 320? I really hope so. I also hope that all three give artifacts, in case you dont like the stats the other ones had. Either that or a 320 ghost or 320 class item. But its kind of hard to upgrade a 310 artifact to 320 considering there are none inbetween at the moment. And if i used a 320 to infuse a 310 it would probably land at 318.

bread's done
Back