Devil May Cry 4 - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Richlough']This is not a 'next gen' game , it feels like a hi-res DMC .

DMC HD , yeah that's it .

I guess if you love Japanese games this is , cool ?

Don't read too much into this if you're offended that was not my intent .[/quote]

1201594852990.gif

I just bought this game today from gamestop. I got the last copy of the CE for the 360. I would think it is the last copy because the guy took the case I gave him and got the discs and put them in it. It was the desplay case so it has the price sticker on it and he put some Gamestop stickers on it before I could stop him. So I'm wondering two thing

1) the Devil May Cry Animated Series disc how did it come in the case? Was it just wraped in it or in the metal ten. Both the guy at gamestop and myself could not get it back in the case so I'm guessing it does not come in the case.

2) anyone know of a way to get the stickers off the slip cover with out damaging it? I got most of them off but the glue is still on it some and so are some little parts of the sticker that I can not get off. I was using warm water to get most of what was left off and that worked other then geting the glue off. I was thinkng maybe warm water and dish soap and leting it just sit in it. I just dont want to warp the cover and would like to get all that stuff off.

The game may not be perfect and it hasn't fixed lots of flaws of the series, but I'll say this; it IS the best hack-and-slash action game on a next gen console. Not that that's saying much, but it's true. The reviews have been a bit harsh, but that's mostly due to what the game could have been and all the missed potential with the level design. But on its' own merits it is a fantastic action game and looks beautiful.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I'm okay with lack of innovation if it is in lieu of polish, but from what I gather DMC4 hasn't fixed earlier problems with the series. The fact that it's a game about running from point A to point B until you kill a certain amount of enemies bothers me none as that's exactly what I'd expect from this sort of game. But going back through the same environments fighting the same enemies and bosses is just plain lazy. It sounds like they should have made the game shorter and then let you replay it as Dante rather than padding the game out by making you go through many of the same levels twice in a single campaign. So I don't think critics are panning it (or praising it less as 8/10s are still good) because it has "last-gen gameplay," but rather because it doesn't bother to tidy up earlier problems with the series and in many cases makes them worse.

That being said, I do really look forward to playing it and am rather tempted to buy it as there's no telling when Blockbuster or Hollywood Video will get it (and if it won't be checked out). I'm sure I would love it at first, but at the end of the day I think I'd regret spending $54 on it and should wait until Ninja Gaiden 2 or a price drop.[/QUOTE]

From a "one playthrough" P.O.V., I guess I can understand the qualms about backtracking. If it's an adventure, it should bring you to new locales all the time, I suppose.

From the hardcore fan P.O.V., it doesn't matter because it's completely about the action. A lot of the backtracking is done with Dante instead of Nero and most importantly, with drastically remixed enemies...Dante's enemies in those parts are some of the best in the series and really tough. The physical environments are just arenas anyway...while I like them for what they are and am not suggesting the game be played in one spot with spawns of enemies (er...that's what the Bloody Palace is for lol), I don't mind having to see each area multiple times.

My only real qualm is that the bosses aren't balanced for Dante, so you can easily kick the shit out of them. Should be harder on Son of Sparda though.

[quote name='Apossum']From a "one playthrough" P.O.V., I guess I can understand the qualms about backtracking. If it's an adventure, it should bring you to new locales all the time, I suppose.

From the hardcore fan P.O.V., it doesn't matter because it's completely about the action. A lot of the backtracking is done with Dante instead of Nero and most importantly, with drastically remixed enemies...Dante's enemies in those parts are some of the best in the series and really tough. The physical environments are just arenas anyway...while I like them for what they are and am not suggesting the game be played in one spot with spawns of enemies (er...that's what the Bloody Palace is for lol), I don't mind having to see each area multiple times.

My only real qualm is that the bosses aren't balanced for Dante, so you can easily kick the shit out of them. Should be harder on Son of Sparda though.[/QUOTE]

I just unlocked Dante and realized the game designers could have "saved" the game with one extremely easy fix; make the Dante segments a separate campaign that unlocks after you beat the game ala Separate Ways in RE4.

The two characters play differently enough to warrant going through the same environments with each of them and it wouldn't make sense to be able to play through the full game as Dante as he doesn't have the devil bringer and thus wouldn't be able to use grapple points (not to mention it would make no sense story wise, if anyone cares). It would also make sense as then the game would be told from a single perspective at a time. From what I gather, on its' own terms, the Dante campaign serves as sort of a "best of" highlight real for the rest of the game (again, a bit like Separate Ways). I think if they kept it separate critics would then praise it immensely as a 10 hour game with one of the greatest unlockables ever. But making it a mandatory part of the single-player campaign makes it look lazy and sloppy. It's all about context.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I just unlocked Dante and realized the game designers could have "saved" the game with one extremely easy fix; make the Dante segments a separate campaign that unlocks after you beat the game ala Separate Ways in RE4.

The two characters play differently enough to warrant going through the same environments with each of them and it wouldn't make sense to be able to play through the full game as Dante as he doesn't have the devil bringer and thus wouldn't be able to use grapple points (not to mention it would make no sense story wise, if anyone cares). It would also make sense as then the game would be told from a single perspective at a time. From what I gather, on its' own terms, the Dante campaign serves as sort of a "best of" highlight real for the rest of the game (again, a bit like Separate Ways). I think if they kept it separate critics would then praise it immensely as a 10 hour game with one of the greatest unlockables ever. But making it a mandatory part of the single-player campaign makes it look lazy and sloppy. It's all about context.[/QUOTE]

so the backtracking should have been disguised as a "separate ways" story? I can't agree with that. The game already has amazing unlockables--the bloody palace is awesome, kinda like the missions in Ninja Gaiden (though the latter is better in many ways.)

To base the judgment of sloppiness simply on the fact that it's the same physical environment completely undermines the good parts of Dante's missions. Like I said, I see it purely from a gameplay P.O.V. Dante plays differently from Nero (I'm sure everyone was dependent on the devil bringer by that point.) Not only are the combat options opened up with styles and weapon switching, but the enemy remix and bump in difficulty really makes the environments an afterthought.

I think the change in gameplay is far more important than the environmental aesthetics. On the first playthrough, sure it's fun to see new environments, but after that, it's all about ranks and gameplay skills. That's what makes games like DMC and NG memorable...pretty sure the devs understand this, which is why more effort goes into gameplay, rather than the environments/story.

If Dante was just a re-skinned Nero minus the devil bringer (or worse, somehow given the Devil Bringer), then I'd be bitching up a storm about backtracking and monotony.

[quote name='Apossum']so the backtracking should have been disguised as a "separate ways" story? I can't agree with that. The game already has amazing unlockables--the bloody palace is awesome, kinda like the missions in Ninja Gaiden (though the latter is better in many ways.)

To base the judgment of sloppiness simply on the fact that it's the same physical environment completely undermines the good parts of Dante's missions. Like I said, I see it purely from a gameplay P.O.V. Dante plays differently from Nero (I'm sure everyone was dependent on the devil bringer by that point.) Not only are the combat options opened up with styles and weapon switching, but the enemy remix and bump in difficulty really makes the environments an afterthought.

I think the change in gameplay is far more important than the environmental aesthetics. On the first playthrough, sure it's fun to see new environments, but after that, it's all about ranks and gameplay skills. That's what makes games like DMC and NG memorable...pretty sure the devs understand this, which is why more effort goes into gameplay, rather than the environments/story.

If Dante was just a re-skinned Nero minus the devil bringer (or worse, somehow given the Devil Bringer), then I'd be bitching up a storm about backtracking and monotony.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree that the combat is vastly more important than the level design, as it's the combat where the true fun and depth of the game lies. But I worry that playing through the game a second time may feel like a third time since I'll have played through all those areas twice already. I'd at least prefer it if they added new bosses for the Dante missions as he seems too overpowered to fight the same ones as Nero, plus it would help the pacing to throw in these new elements (a bit like Odin Sphere making you replay the same areas, but with new bosses and story elements). It's a pretty minor complaint though as the combat is still fantastic, and there's enough motivation to keep fighting with the new moves and harder difficulty settings that await.

But I still stick to what I said about wanting them to be separate campaigns simply because I love the Dante segments a lot and wish I could hop back into his "campaign" on a higher difficulty setting without having to replay the majority of the game as Nero first. The fact that he has more moves and weapons than Nero, but you play as him significantly less is a strange and somewhat poor design choice in my opinion. But I'd prefer him in there only a little rather than not at all, so this can be forgiven.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I'll say this; it IS the best hack-and-slash action game on a next gen console.[/QUOTE]
No, it's not. Sigma is far superior to DMC4.

[quote name='PyroGamer']No, it's not. Sigma is far superior to DMC4.[/QUOTE]

black was better...anyway...

The fact that he has more moves and weapons than Nero, but you play as him significantly less is a strange and somewhat poor design choice in my opinion. But I'd prefer him in there only a little rather than not at all, so this can be forgiven.

yeah, it is strange. I have to admit I had higher hopes for the game--like getting to play as Lady and Trish as well as Nero and Dante, but either they'll pull a "Special Edition" or make 5 a much fuller game. Feels like there are a bunch of missed opportunities.

So am I reading correctly that you guys think the game doesn't have enough Dante? I hope its a decent amount, I was looking forward to being able to switch styles on the fly.

[quote name='sendme']...anyone know of a way to get the stickers off the slip cover with out damaging it?[/QUOTE]

Use a hair dryer.

[quote name='CouRageouS']So am I reading correctly that you guys think the game doesn't have enough Dante? I hope its a decent amount, I was looking forward to being able to switch styles on the fly.[/QUOTE]

You play as Dante for 6/20 missions, so roughly one third of the game. I liked playing as Dante a fraction more, but I seem to be in the minority on that one. Both characters are a lot of fun to play though.

[quote name='whoknows']DMC3 is NOT terrible, definitely a step up from DMC1 gameplay-wise.[/quote]
DMC1 was the only one of the series i liked. And I HATED 2 and 3, Havent played 4 though.

[quote name='Gopuri']DMC1 was the only one of the series i liked. And I HATED 2 and 3, Havent played 4 though.[/QUOTE]

What did you hate about 3? Because I think most fans would agree with you that 1 was good and 2 sucked, but 3 is generally considered better than 1.

[quote name='CouRageouS']So am I reading correctly that you guys think the game doesn't have enough Dante? I hope its a decent amount, I was looking forward to being able to switch styles on the fly.[/QUOTE]

I wish there was a Dante+Nero combination you could unlock 'cause they both have awesome advantages. I prefer Dante because he's more technical and has a shitload more options for combat, but I don't mind playing as Nero one bit either. You get a good amount of time with Dante in the main quest, but there's always 100 levels of Bloody Palace to play with him.

It's funny- most reviews heavily criticized the back-tracking and fighting bosses 3 times, but those things hardly bothered me at all. The anticlimactic finale and the easiness of the Dante segments were my biggest gripes.

Ultimately I thought DMC 3 had better a better combat system and boss battles, but the regular enemies were boring, repetitive and lame. DMC 4's combat and bosses were a mild step backwards, but the regular enemies made the main game more fun overall. That, and the fact that you can get a refund on moves and customize at will without tons of orb farming. A worthy addition to the DMC saga nonetheless, even if they've fallen short of providing us with the ultimate DMC.

I hope they release some DLC that gives you Dante missions or something. I loved all the styles from DMC3. Maybe DMC5 will be more Dante centric. Sadly I'm still waiting for my game to come from yourfree360games.

I haven't read through this thread as I'm afraid of spoilers, and playing through DMC3 right now. 1 was good, 2 made me ill (played through both over the past week), and 3's campiness and difficulty are awesome.

How is 4 relative to the others? 2 was as lazy and confusing as anything I've played (but 3 seems to be back on the right track, and with a liberal amount of self-mockery to boot). I'm really hoping 4 is like 3.

[quote name='mykevermin']I haven't read through this thread as I'm afraid of spoilers, and playing through DMC3 right now. 1 was good, 2 made me ill (played through both over the past week), and 3's campiness and difficulty are awesome.

How is 4 relative to the others? 2 was as lazy and confusing as anything I've played (but 3 seems to be back on the right track, and with a liberal amount of self-mockery to boot). I'm really hoping 4 is like 3.[/QUOTE]

The gameplay is most like 3, but the environments remind me more of 1... more gothic. I like it a lot, personally.

Which version would you guys go with? I know this is 360 forum, but I'm trying to see the advantages of both. So far all I can see is that 360 let's you have achievements, while the PS3 lets you DL it do the HD (for a lot of space) for slightly faster loading times. Anything else?

I bought the 360 CE just in case last week, but I can still go and exchange it if I need to.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Which version would you guys go with? I know this is 360 forum, but I'm trying to see the advantages of both. So far all I can see is that 360 let's you have achievements, while the PS3 lets you DL it do the HD (for a lot of space) for slightly faster loading times. Anything else?

I bought the 360 CE just in case last week, but I can still go and exchange it if I need to.[/QUOTE]

Here's my take: there's no reason to have a STRONG preference for one version over the other. Any advantage one platform has over the other is VERY slight. The loading is minimal, even on the 360. I'm talking about two seconds, when going from a cut-scene to action. The achievements are kind of ... let's put this kindly ... irrelevant. I guess it's nice to have something to aim for, but most of them are never going to see the light of day on my ’box (Get an S ranking on all missions on Son of Sparda difficulty!). Graphically, the games are indistinguishable, and the controller advantages (face buttons slightly more mashable on the PS3, sturdy triggers on the 360) cancel each other out. I'm sure some hardened flame-warriors will try to act like they secretly picked the "superior" version, but ignore them. Basically, flip a coin.

[quote name='trq']Here's my take: there's no reason to have a STRONG preference for one version over the other. Any advantage one platform has over the other is VERY slight. The loading is minimal, even on the 360. I'm talking about two seconds, when going from a cut-scene to action. The achievements are kind of ... let's put this kindly ... irrelevant. I guess it's nice to have something to aim for, but most of them are never going to see the light of day on my ’box (Get an S ranking on all missions on Son of Sparda difficulty!). Graphically, the games are indistinguishable, and the controller advantages (face buttons slightly more mashable on the PS3, sturdy triggers on the 360) cancel each other out. I'm sure some hardened flame-warriors will try to act like they secretly picked the "superior" version, but ignore them. Basically, flip a coin.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='trq']Here's my take: there's no reason to have a STRONG preference for one version over the other. Any advantage one platform has over the other is VERY slight. The loading is minimal, even on the 360. I'm talking about two seconds, when going from a cut-scene to action. The achievements are kind of ... let's put this kindly ... irrelevant. I guess it's nice to have something to aim for, but most of them are never going to see the light of day on my ’box (Get an S ranking on all missions on Son of Sparda difficulty!). Graphically, the games are indistinguishable, and the controller advantages (face buttons slightly more mashable on the PS3, sturdy triggers on the 360) cancel each other out. I'm sure some hardened flame-warriors will try to act like they secretly picked the "superior" version, but ignore them. Basically, flip a coin.[/quote]

Thanks for a proper review. I guess most things cancel out, but I'll keep this version still. I like the achievements. I remember that on the PS2, I loved trying for the S rankings and the other certain niche difficult things to open up modes and stuff. I'll probably enjoy it on 360 as well. It'll give it extra bonus play incentives like Veteran on CoD.

You've also managed to calm my indecision on the loading times. If it really is that minuscule, then the supposed advantage of the PS3 edition really isn't there.

Augh! DMC4 arrived today, and I'm not finished w/ 3. Guess I know what I'll be trying to finish tonight.

The one tiny thing that led to me getting the PS3 version will be (I damned hope so) the ability to copy save files from system to system. Most PS3 titles support this (I noticed Rock Band doesn't, but that's the only one). So, I think to myself "who am I kidding? I'll never beat the hardest modes of the game," so if I can view the extras or bonuses by copying a save file over, then great.

Of course, if that allows me to cheat to get the PS3 Cheesemints, then the system will be proven broken from the get-go, and completely laughable (like, sixaxis fuckin' laughable). I'm not interested in the points, so it's immaterial from my vantagepoint - but such a potential exploitation shouldn't be overlooked by developers. Of course, implementing Cheesemints may make me unable to d/l and copy a save file. I sure hope not.

[quote name='trq']What did you hate about 3? Because I think most fans would agree with you that 1 was good and 2 sucked, but 3 is generally considered better than 1.[/QUOTE]

I don't think 2 sucked. The autotargeting was a royal pain, but the gameplay similar enough to 1 to warrant purchasing the PS2 trilogy. The plot, however, is where it falls apart. Dante is mostly silent and has none of the chutzpah he shows in 1 and 3, the plot is incomprehensible and unrelated to 1 and 3 (I don't see any connection, anyway). It's as if Capcom didn't think DMC would do well at all, and thought "Oh, shit! We have a hit on our hands!" and rushed a similar gameplay title to market.

I'm in love with 3, and kinda angry I didn't play it sooner. The boss fights are fucking hard, but beatable. The game is graphically beautiful, the plot sensible (thus far), and ties into Dante's identity as DMC1 brought up. The writing is great, with good attitude, some self-deprecation, and interesting characters. I want to know more about the Resident Evil 1 lookin' zombie priest and the unnamed girl with the rocket launcher, whereas I couldn't give a flyin' fuck about Lucia or Arius in DMC2.

I can't wait to finish DMC3 (I just beat Mission 7 this evening, so I've got a bit to go) and get into 4.

And apossum, NG Black is better than Sigma? I know you're sour on the PS3 now, but gimmie a fuckin' break.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't think 2 sucked. The autotargeting was a royal pain, but the gameplay similar enough to 1 to warrant purchasing the PS2 trilogy. The plot, however, is where it falls apart. Dante is mostly silent and has none of the chutzpah he shows in 1 and 3, the plot is incomprehensible and unrelated to 1 and 3 (I don't see any connection, anyway). It's as if Capcom didn't think DMC would do well at all, and thought "Oh, shit! We have a hit on our hands!" and rushed a similar gameplay title to market.[/QUOTE]
My problem with DMC2 was that it was so easy it was boring. You can pretty much hold down the gun button the entire time. Try doing that in the other games and see what happens.

EDIT: I meant DMC2, not 4 >.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't think 2 sucked. The autotargeting was a royal pain, but the gameplay similar enough to 1 to warrant purchasing the PS2 trilogy. The plot, however, is where it falls apart. Dante is mostly silent and has none of the chutzpah he shows in 1 and 3, the plot is incomprehensible and unrelated to 1 and 3 (I don't see any connection, anyway). It's as if Capcom didn't think DMC would do well at all, and thought "Oh, shit! We have a hit on our hands!" and rushed a similar gameplay title to market.

I'm in love with 3, and kinda angry I didn't play it sooner. The boss fights are fucking hard, but beatable. The game is graphically beautiful, the plot sensible (thus far), and ties into Dante's identity as DMC1 brought up. The writing is great, with good attitude, some self-deprecation, and interesting characters. I want to know more about the Resident Evil 1 lookin' zombie priest and the unnamed girl with the rocket launcher, whereas I couldn't give a flyin' fuck about Lucia or Arius in DMC2.

I can't wait to finish DMC3 (I just beat Mission 7 this evening, so I've got a bit to go) and get into 4.

And apossum, NG Black is better than Sigma? I know you're sour on the PS3 now, but gimmie a fuckin' break.[/QUOTE]

15cn48o.jpg

"duhhhh, I heard thaaaat!"

I've got my reasons. it's not the PS3 that's the problem...

glad to hear you're enjoying DMC3 though :) I'm interested to hear what you think of 4, especially from playing it so soon after 3.

Aww, shit. I can't compete with Barth, so I'll let the argument slide.

I'm stymied that I let such an awesome game (3) sit in my backlog for so long. I hope 4 lives up to my expectations.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']My problem with DMC2 was that it was so easy it was boring. You can pretty much hold down the gun button the entire time. [/QUOTE]
This is the truth. Me and my bro went though it on a weekend just for the hell of it. This was before DMC3 came out though we already knew going into it that it was generally hated. It was enjoyable and more tolerable since we switched off between levels. Even played both discs.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']My problem with DMC2 was that it was so easy it was boring. You can pretty much hold down the gun button the entire time. Try doing that in the other games and see what happens.

EDIT: I meant DMC2, not 4 >.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't think 2 sucked. The autotargeting was a royal pain, but the gameplay similar enough to 1 to warrant purchasing the PS2 trilogy. The plot, however, is where it falls apart. Dante is mostly silent and has none of the chutzpah he shows in 1 and 3, the plot is incomprehensible and unrelated to 1 and 3 (I don't see any connection, anyway). It's as if Capcom didn't think DMC would do well at all, and thought "Oh, shit! We have a hit on our hands!" and rushed a similar gameplay title to market.

I'm in love with 3, and kinda angry I didn't play it sooner. The boss fights are fucking hard, but beatable. The game is graphically beautiful, the plot sensible (thus far), and ties into Dante's identity as DMC1 brought up. The writing is great, with good attitude, some self-deprecation, and interesting characters. I want to know more about the Resident Evil 1 lookin' zombie priest and the unnamed girl with the rocket launcher, whereas I couldn't give a flyin' fuck about Lucia or Arius in DMC2.[/QUOTE]

Actually, originally Capcom had two teams working on the DMC franchise, alternating releases, a la Splinter Cell and Call of Duty now, I guess. Thankfully they gave up on that, and 4 is by the team that did 1 and 3.

My issues with 2 are the mess of a narrative, the ridiculous ease overall, the forgettable bosses (that's the game where you fight a skyscraper, right?), the ugly palette (it's all brown and red, with none of the gothic flair the other games have had), and the lame fashion product placement (Dante has brand label jeans! Yay!).

There were some things I did like about DMC2, but by and large, it's the most disappointed I've ever been in a game. Of course, if I'd picked it up as part of the trilogy pack, I might not be so disgusted by it even now, but I bought it the day it came out, full price. *sigh*

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but nonetheless: I liked the difficulty in DMC3. Yes, it was hard, but never cheap. A boss you couldn't even damage the first time out could eventually be beaten perfectly. Now, I think you'll enjoy DMC4, but a word of warning -- if you're beating DMC3 on its default difficulty or higher, you're going to take down some of the bosses in 4 on your first try.

Damn. All this talk of DMC3 has me all veklempt for the ice flail, agni & rudra, and the electric-bat guitar/scythe/axe thing. I wonder if Capcom thought of adding them to 4 as DLC?

I'm finding that DMC 4 is actually quite a bit better on a second playthrough. The first time you play it you'll likely notice the flaws: the repitition of levels and bosses, the easyness of Dante's segments, the camera, the antic-climactic finale, etc... but on a second playthrough none of that shit matters. The game scales up perfectly on Son of Sparda. You'll have a lot more health and moves, but you'll be fighting more dangerous remixed enemies. You'll likely be better at instant reving by this point too. The game just seems to open up at this point and really takes advantage of the great depth in the combat system. The bosses are no longer pushovers (haven't gotten to Dante yet though) and you'll have to really pay attention to their various attacks and can't button mash your way through like you could on Devil Hunter. The somewhat dated "find the key" level design is no longer an issue once you know where you're going as well. I really feel like your initial playthrough of DMC 4 is basically practice; a way to familiarize yourself with the controls and enemies, but it doesn't really come into its' own until your going through it again with a greater arsenal and harder enemies. I think a lot of critics only played through the game once and gave it a lower score because of that, but there's really a lot more than meets the eye here if you're willing to put in the effort.

This game beats the hell out of DMC2 and even 3, but I still think that DMC1 was the best by far, Totally bad-ass. Although that demon grappling hook is really awesome and made giant combos way easier.

I got DMC2 at release and tricked myself into liking it. Eventually I went back to DMC1 and couldn't believe I got any enjoyment out of 2. DMC3 might be my favorite though, I've put so much time into that game, but I really love DMC4 as well since some of the gameplay elements have been improved, plus the Devil Bringer is awesome.

bread's done
Back