Diablo III / Diablo II Battle.net Thread

man I would love to hook up with some people to play. Me and my pals usually play on Friday nights. We communicate using skype though I know some people are turned off by that for some odd reason.

Can you guys make a recommendation of what to do on my first play though?

I started on nightmare with a wizard. Are there runes that are better than others? Do I have to choose a rune or are they just unlocked in a specific order?

Is it worth upgrading the blacksmith?

I'm looking for a very basic guide.

So far I've retrieved the kings crown and I have a couple legendary items.

They are unlocked in a specific order for each character. I would upgrade the blacksmith (and other craftsmen) over time.

I would just focus on finding skills you like for now and try to find the right balance between health and damage. Once you get towards the higher levels you'll want to optimize your skills and runes based on the gear you have.

I'm getting pretty lucky. I am at the part where the goatmen first appear and I have found 4 legendaries (plus the legendary ring they give you on the console versions for linking your account). Starfire Wand, Moonlight Ward (amulet), Gungdo Gear (bracers) and Leroics Crown. I have 4 orbs flying around me that I assume are form the wand.

I don't think I have found any socketed weapons yet. I assume they will say they are socketed in the description?

I've been selling my grey/white weapons (broke a lot of them down too). I've been breaking down my magic stuff too.

There will also be a hole in the image of the item if it's socketed. When you say breaking, you mean salvaging, right? Not forgetting to repair them and they break when wearing it using them?

Sockets in weapons become essential later in the game.

There will also be a hole in the image of the item if it's socketed. When you say breaking, you mean salvaging, right? Not forgetting to repair them and they break when wearing it using them?

Sockets in weapons become essential later in the game.
Yeah salvaging. Sorry I couldn't remember the term. :) I just pulled a socketed armor piece and another legendary amulet (
Squirt's Necklace). I also just got 2 chipped gems, so this game is starting to feel more like diablo.

I pulled something called a "fetch", but it is under my potions, so I do not know what that is (I checked the d3 website and google, but I can't find it). I also have items with that are various dyes, so I will google that and see what is going on with those...maybe set pieces?

I'm enjoying the game much more now than I did with the demo.

EDIT: WTF. I just had a recipe disappear form my inventory. I believe it was a set recipe. I don't see it under the blacksmith. Is there another merchant that may have it?

I think it was "Born's Defiance" set book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you teach the plan to the blacksmith? If you were at the blacksmith and right clicked on the book you "taught" him the recipe and the book will disappear from your inventory. You should be able to find the set items when scrolling through the blacksmith's weapons and armor if you did it correctly.

Did you teach the plan to the blacksmith? If you were at the blacksmith and right clicked on the book you "taught" him the recipe and the book will disappear from your inventory. You should be able to find the set items when scrolling through the blacksmith's weapons and armor if you did it correctly.
If you haven't upgraded the blacksmith high enough then you may not see the items on his list.
I'm playing on PS3. (I know blasphemy using a controller) It was in my stash and I pressed "x" and it went into my inventory. I walked away from my stash and viewed it in my inventory. I clicked x on it and it disappeared. It didn't drop to the ground or anything. (I was closer to the stash, than the blacksmith)

I looked though my blacksmith's options but I did not see any set items listed under weapons or armor.

My blacksmith is only level 3 or 4 right now, so maybe he isn't a high enough level to make the stuff yet. I've read of this happening on the diablo forums, but I am not sure if the people experiencing it are like me and have little d3 experience or if they are legitimately disappearing. I have the ultimate version with the newest patch.

I'm not aware of glitches like that happening so my best guess is that you taught him the recipe but you can't see the items on your list because the blacksmith isn't a high enough level yet. Also make sure when you are looking at items at the smithy to make sure you select "all" as your category when looking at the list to see absolutely everything you can make with the smithy. If you don't change that then you will usually just see anything he can make for your current character rather than everything he can make for all possible characters. Maybe the plans you picked up aren't something you can equip on your current character therefore you can't see them in the list (hopefully I haven't confused you lol this is kind of hard to explain!).

Also no shame in owning the PS3 version of this game, it's a fantastic port in almost every way, the local co-op is amazing!

if anyone is ever down to play, I play with bubzers from time to time, my battle.net is DevilsArm#1807 i also frequent hearthstone quite a bit and some heroes of the storm. currently running a dash monk in season 3, soon to make a crusader because I found a ridiculous ancient blade of prophecy on my monk

Yeah, I'm still trying to Plat. the PS3 version. Slowly, slowly, slowly making my way toward that 5 mil. gold trophy. 

Kinda crazy that I own D3 on my computer (along w/ RoS), PS3 and PS4...Wish they would let the characters cross from PC>PS3/PS4.

I confirmed my book glitched out. I changed the setting to "all". I then read a book standing next to the blacksmith by pressing "x". The 2nd book (which was for "longshot") shows under the bow section. I went through everything and there are no set items (from the 1st book). Kinda bummed since it was probably for multiple items.

@slowdive21, don't worry/stress about anything of your first playthough.   Nothing is going to matter until you hit level cap (lv70 in RoS).  Just enjoy the one (and only) time you'll play thorough storymode.  The armor pattern would craft gear at the level you found it.  You'll get another drop of that pattern at max level for sure.

@slowdive21, don't worry/stress about anything of your first playthough. Nothing is going to matter until you hit level cap (lv70 in RoS). Just enjoy the one (and only) time you'll play thorough storymode. The armor pattern would craft gear at the level you found it. You'll get another drop of that pattern at max level for sure.

Are there ever any random PUGs playing lower difficulty levels? I have only unlocked expert so far, and have yet to run into another player in open lobbies.

Having a blast now that I switched from monk to wizard, but I'm still in Act 1. Probably should have just grinded that out with my first character.

Are there ever any random PUGs playing lower difficulty levels? I have only unlocked expert so far, and have yet to run into another player in open lobbies.

Having a blast now that I switched from monk to wizard, but I'm still in Act 1. Probably should have just grinded that out with my first character.
Almost everyone plays in "Adventure Mode", which you need to complete "story mode" once to unlock. The playing with randoms side of thing is best in "communities" (shift-o) which are chat channels where you can find people to party with to do specific things. Since you're in that weird, never completed story mode once, place, I'm not sure if you can find a party with randoms.

At the start you have Normal, Hard, Expert difficulties. Once you hit lv60 you unlock Master and Torment 1-6. Although I leveled my first toon in Expert (1-60) and T2 (61-70), the most "efficient" way it to play in Hard.

If you're not liking a toon by, say lv20-30, feel free to switch and find one you like, but then I strongly recommend you take one to lv70 (and complete story mode once) before you start working on alts. This will unlock a lot of stuff for you'll want.

The only time I see leveling parties is for seasonal toons on the first couple days of a season.

Again, I really do recommend that you play story mode once at your own pace (or with a patient friend) for the experience... however if that is turning you off, well, there's powerleveling. Also, I think you might be able to unlock Adventure Mode by joining someone else's game.

I got the same exact set drop last night in ACT 2 when I killed "a pack". The book showed in my inventory and I read it next to the blacksmith and now I have 3 items to craft! "Born's Defiance." Now I am level 30 or something, but I don't have any "brimstone" to craft it.

I got the same exact set drop last night in ACT 2 when I killed "a pack". The book showed in my inventory and I read it next to the blacksmith and now I have 3 items to craft! "Born's Defiance." Now I am level 30 or something, but I don't have any "brimstone" to craft it.
^_^ I'm glad you can now see for yourself that whatever happened before wasn't a problem. The brimstone material is from smashing (lv60 and lower) legendary items at the blacksmith.

As Ashes mentioned, go slow and enjoy the story campaign for your first run. I also would suggest going with a DPS class for your first time as it is easier and faster to acquire gear/get things done. The DPS classes currently are: demon hunter, barbarian and wizard. The crusader, monk and witch doctor can do damage but generally take longer to ramp up the damage with gear. Range classes are also a little easier to play since you won't need as much toughness (hit points, armor and resists).

I am taking my time. I would always get mad when people "ran" though games in D2.

Yesterday I was messing around and I re-cleared the whole desert in act 2. I got 3 recipes (one was cain's fate set) and a higher level legendary of an item I already had. I "smashed" the lower level one, so now I have 1 brimstone. By the time I have enough material, the recipes will be useless. Unless they transfer over to other playthroughs.

They do carry over. And trust me, you'll be running through games at level 70 too eventually. At some point you won't care about yellow items and will just pick up materials, gems and legendaries.

So I just finished D3. I'm starting the expansion now with my wizard.

This may sound like a dumb question, but if I am using magic missile with a non wand, the damage doesn't count right? It would only count if I swung the weapon, right? I've been using a spear, but my attack is magic missile. I know on PC there was a way to physically attack with the weapon, but I can't figure it out on ps3.

Ladder reset for D2 tomorrow.

Will be playing on USWest HC and SC Ladder :)

HC for dedicated group. SC for anything goes. Will post up name when reset goes live.

Ladder has reset!

Currently playing in the usual:

cag////cag

-Made it to Act 4, just hit level 24. Playing a skelemancer "Nemcroms" buddy playing a throwbarian "Zinrae". Will be playing again tomorrow sometime after 4pm PST. If buddy is around its USWest HC Expansion Ladder, if not, SC on a zealot "The_Redeemer." Account name is crystalklear64. Add me and post up if you're interested in playing :)

-May 27

Beat HC Normal, yaaaaay. Luck was on our side and I was able to make both a Spirit sword AND an insight, which was a huge boost for both of us. Corpse Explosion spam and infinite Double Throw is tearing up Act 1. Andy died with no issues. Sitting around level 35.

-May 28

No Zinrae around tonight so I'll be working on an Amazon instead of my usually pally. Probably going to try for a mage build since I've done strafe and multi and java before. (And then I'll respec when I discover it sucks).

So I finally beat the expansion, after starting it the day it came out and getting through most of Act V before getting distracted, I would say it was really good.  I rather enjoyed the story from start to finish. 

I've been doing the adventure mode now (in solo play); I've finished leveling to 70 and gotten a few paragon points (I had a few before the cap jump) and I've figured out that you really want to finish all the bounties in a single act in one sitting.  (Gotten a bunch of plans, sets, this way.  Granted, most have been junk (I've had some level 70s stuff drop) but since allot of my gear isn't level 70 yet (Haven't had good enough replacements drop yet) I figure that bounties is the best way to go to gear up.  (I did do one normal rift via the monolith today.)

I'm currently playing on hard (I was on normal till I finished the expansion, I never really had a chance to grind for level 50 gear so I figure better safe than sorry) and have long battles with nearly every elite that comes around...  I survive them, pretty much most of the time, but fear that expert (or whatever is next) is likely going to get me killed... allot so I've not tried them.

I'm playing a Demon Hunter, Templar compaion (sometimes he's great at keeping everything at bay.. and sometimes.  Well, he seems like he gets ignored.)  with about 10 paragon points.  

So, am I doing it "right" and should I continue with clearing full acts of bounties?  Or should I be messing around with the rift gates at this point?  Lastly, is expert a bump up from hard?

Also should I start a season character?  I've, obviously not played season 1-3, but I heard there is stuff that only drops via it...

Oh other stuff:  My vendors are maxed (Gems, Blacksmith, the lady that lets you change your items a bit) and I have two stash tabs.

And my game crashed 4 bounties into as set of 5...  Just wouldn't load past a black screen.  Logged back in immediately but of course the bounties where rest. 

That just seems extremely punishing...

Legendary gear has a higher chance in rifts and since you don't need keys anymore, I recommend doing rifts over bounties for gearing up. You want to get to at least torment 1 asap as certain legendary items will not drop until that difficulty. Also you should get the cube ASAP as converting yellows to potentially an ancient legendary is the best way to get a decent weapon. You can use the cube to try to get a missing piece from a class set as well.

Legendary gear has a higher chance in rifts and since you don't need keys anymore, I recommend doing rifts over bounties for gearing up. You want to get to at least torment 1 asap as certain legendary items will not drop until that difficulty. Also you should get the cube ASAP as converting yellows to potentially an ancient legendary is the best way to get a decent weapon. You can use the cube to try to get a missing piece from a class set as well.
Thanks, I had been in that area once for a bounty but looks like I didn't go far enough to get the cube.

Does anyone know if those legendary item from torment 1 drop out of the cube...? (I can surely run around town while in torment 1 while messing with the cube.)

But you need to do the bounties to roll for the legendaries with the cube, not to mention all of the death breaths needed. Generally I use Kadala to try for anything @ 25/item and try my luck at the cube for weapons and all others.

Be warned though...the cube will be entirely frustrating when you roll the same item four or five times in a row.

Use best combination of items that will inflict the most damage and tailor your skills to that until you get the proper set items for your class. That will allow you to at least get to T6 or T7. If you really want to do T10 well you'll be needing most of the ancient legendary items for the set you are playing for your class.

As for the seasons, they are stopping the season only stuff after 4. Plus everything from the season rolls into the non-seasonal pool after the season ends.

But you need to do the bounties to roll for the legendaries with the cube, not to mention all of the death breaths needed. Generally I use Kadala to try for anything @ 25/item and try my luck at the cube for weapons and all others.

Be warned though...the cube will be entirely frustrating when you roll the same item four or five times in a row.
Yeah, I was only able to use the cube twice... and got the same set item. (One of them was a slight improvement over the set item I did have. (Two separate Demon Hunter sets.)

I spent much of the money I did have... I need a another 400K but I'll have a Royal Emerald as I got that plan from a box this morning... Likely a waste to use it now but since it was where luck was really favoring me I shrugged my shoulders and went with it. (I had also gotten a nice lvl 70 amulet with a socket.)

*Shrug* gold hasn't seemed too rare to come by.

[quote name="evilw0n" post="13031041" timestamp="1447607817"]But you need to do the bounties to roll for the legendaries with the cube, not to mention all of the death breaths needed. Generally I use Kadala to try for anything @ 25/item and try my luck at the cube for weapons and all others.

Use best combination of items that will inflict the most damage and tailor your skills to that until you get the proper set items for your class. That will allow you to at least get to T6 or T7. If you really want to do T10 well you'll be needing most of the ancient legendary items for the set you are playing for your class.

As for the seasons, they are stopping the season only stuff after 4. Plus everything from the season rolls into the non-seasonal pool after the season ends.[/quote]
It is all about stages for gearing. The cube is used more after you are somewhat geared as higher torment levels aren't efficient until you get your gear to a decent level. Bounties aren't efficient until you can do t7, DB farming is t8 with sage gear and t10 for GR keystone farming. Bounties used to be okay for initial level prior to season 4 but rifts are still better for initial gearing due to the higher legendary drop rate. Also save a puzzle ring for the cube and then gold worries will be over.

Also save a puzzle ring for the cube and then gold worries will be over.
That reminds me to ask... How soon should I be trying to get passives from the cube?
(I'm sure some of that is going to be based upon, "Well, what do you have?")

I have the following: (If I think it might be useful)

Death Watch Mantle (Fan of Knives)

Razor Strop (Picking up health deals damage to enemies)

Irontoe Mudsputters

Homing Pads

Gladiator Gauntlets

Blackfeather (Homing Rockets when attacked with range)

Rogar's Huge Stone

Goldwrap

Helltrapper

Danetta's Spite (Leave a clone after vaulting)

Dovu Energy Trap (increases stun time)

Custerian Wristguards (Gold grants XP)

Nemesis Bracers (Shrines and Pylons spawn elite champions.)

and the aforementioned puzzle ring.

Also on the cube passives... What level does one need to one to use them? (If its any level than the Custerian Wristguards could be really useful.)

Season 5 begins this Friday at 5 PM PDT, who will be playing so we can organize some leveling groups? I personally won't be on until later in the night.

There are no special legendary items for seasons anymore but there will be various cosmetic rewards. I think the main appeal to play seasonal this time around is to get extra stash tab. An extra stash tab can be purchased when the 2.4 patch is released and a 7th stash tab can be earned during the season journey. 3 more stash tabs can be earned during future season journeys for a total of 10 maximum. Do note when you unlock the extra stash tab in seasonal, it will become available immediately in non-seasonal as well. This is the information I have from doing a quick search. If anything is incorrect, let me know.

What class is everyone going to play in season 5?

If anyone is looking for a group to play with, my friends and I will probably have a spot open every now and then.

SC, plvling at season start. Not really casual so... toss me a message if you plan on playing a lot.

Diablo 3 Pro here. Made it to top 10 multiple seasons on the Hardcore leaderboard.
If you play HC feel free to add me Duaber#1638

Playing hardcore is like playing another game the adrenaline rush you get when surviving chaos is exhilarating. The new Path of Exile expansion comes out on Friday with a total of 10 acts, should be interesting.

I just started Path of Exile's the other day... Really enjoying it. It's like Diablo II on steroids.

Haven't started the new season of DIII... I need to as I got the Necromancer pack in preparation for it.

That said I never play HC... I press my luck too much and with servers I'm always worried server issues and unfair deaths.

bread's done
Back