Digital Devil Saga 1 currently available at GS.com ($39.99)

[quote name='jrutz']You guys got me scared, so I just placed an order for a second copy of DDS1. Want to make sure I get a complete copy, at least between the two orders.

And I just picked up a new DDS2 at my local GS for $19.99. It was gutted, but at least it was case, manual and disc.

Trying to guarantee I complete the trifecta - Nocturne, DDS1 and DDS2.[/quote]

Sorry for the scare. I just wanna get a complete copy so that I can close my collection involving SMT for the PS2. I've had DDS2 for a long time, and I really would rather play the first one first like it should be played (and finally get them out of my backlog).

There must be a reason they have so many copies (and that it's still in stock). It leaves me wondering...

About Earthbound, the only reason I have it is because I got it from a friend back in 5-6th grade. I had to trade Secret of Mana for it, which was a tough one. Earthbound is easily one of the best RPGs to me though.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Anyone that is actually ordering these games must be some kind of smt or even atlus fan.
and im pretty sure about 80% of those wont be satisfied with a disc only copy.

So really, they are just going to have a bunch of random discs returned to them. I know ebstop would do lots of things, but why would they screw themselves over?[/quote]

Yea they pretty much screw themselves by gutting rpg's, especially rare ones. People who buy RPG's are usually in a different boat then people who buy madden or halo or something. I see alot of returns in the near future if every nocturne/dds they are shipping is disk only.

Also with Nocturne dropping to 39.99 I wonder if they got in a shipment like Play-Asia? Too bad I already ordered it from PA for 44.99 + $4.xx in shipping.

Think I might take a chance on this and assume that they got in a bunch of complete copies for some reason. Fully refundable, so pretty much zero risk.

I dunno I don't have the money to even try. But if I did I'm not sure I would bother. It will probably arive disc only for most people. I can't order something used without seeing it first.

I wish all the game stores had a policy that you can only trade in games coplete with the original case and booklet.

[quote name='botticus']Think I might take a chance on this and assume that they got in a bunch of complete copies for some reason. Fully refundable, so pretty much zero risk.[/quote]Yeah, scratch that. Just remembered I got the soundtrack with my used copy, so I'll just stick with it. DDS2 is actually in worse shape, but good enough that I probably won't mess around with getting a new one.

I just picked up a complete regular edition of DDS1 today at a GS 15min away from my school. It was in very good condition (just a few scuff marks) and had the manual. I do want the box (to house both DDS1 and 2) and soundtrack, but $40 for a very good condition and complete game was worth it.

Here are some odd things about the copy I got:
1) The case is one of the new PS2 cases (most likely, the case just got replaced)
2) On the back, near the UPC, there are two GS stickers (a yellow one and white one). Both of them say Nocturne on it, but the yellow sticker is dated 4/21/08, and the white stick, which is on top is dated 4/15/08. The rest of the stickers are dated 4/22/08.
3) The white sticker had on it "TSH-RFB" which, from the employee, means that it came from GS refurbished center.

Kinda weird how one GS in Manhattan, NY receieved a copy of the game, complete and looks like a brand new gut, from corporate with stickers that have conflicting dates.

I'm not looking deep into this, but just some observations I made while taking a look at the game.

So, people who ordered it online, you might be lucky getting a complete game.

Also, for anyone who will receive their copy from GS online, what type of case are you getting with it? New or old style?

[quote name='superdry']I just picked up a complete regular edition of DDS1 today at a GS 15min away from my school. It was in very good condition (just a few scuff marks) and had the manual. I do want the box (to house both DDS1 and 2) and soundtrack, but $40 for a very good condition and complete game was worth it.

1) The case is one of the new PS2 cases (most likely, the case just got replaced)
2) On the back, near the UPC, there are two GS stickers (a yellow one and white one). Both of them say Nocturne on it, but the yellow sticker is dated 4/21/08, and the white stick, which is on top is dated 4/15/08. The rest of the stickers are dated 4/22/08.
3) The white sticker had on it "TSH-RFB" which, from the employee, means that it came from GS refurbished center.

Kinda weird how one GS in Manhattan, NY receieved a copy of the game, complete and looks like a brand new gut, from corporate with stickers that have conflicting dates.

I'm not looking deep into this, but just some observations I made while taking a look at the game.

Also, for anyone who will receive their copy from GS online, what type of case are you getting with it? New or old style?[/QUOTE]

im sure cags willing to bring down this facade will post their info (i sure will if i remember to)

Here is the boilerplate answer I got from Atlus:Hi Nick,

Unfortunately, we aren’t disclosing specific information about reprints. Thank you for your interest in our games, and be sure to pick up Persona 3: FES today!

Rob Stone
QA Lead

ATLUS USA, Inc.
949.788.0455 x117

[quote name='superdry']I just picked up a complete regular edition of DDS1 today at a GS 15min away from my school. It was in very good condition (just a few scuff marks) and had the manual. I do want the box (to house both DDS1 and 2) and soundtrack, but $40 for a very good condition and complete game was worth it.

Also, for anyone who will receive their copy from GS online, what type of case are you getting with it? New or old style?[/quote]

Yeah, same happened here. I went to go pick up Persona 3: FES and one of the guys there mentioned that they just received a copy of Digital Devil Saga I from corporate (to sell at their store). It had the case and book, and is practically in mint condition. Yeah there's no big box to house both games in, and there's no soundtrack, but this beats spending $70-80+ on Ebay for the game. I didn't notice the sticker part until you mentioned it, but both the yellow and white one say Digital Devil Saga (however, the yellow one is 4/23/08 which I'm assuming they slapped on today, and the white one on the back is 4/17/08). Weird.

I ordered one from GS's website on Monday, though, so when I get it I'll decide what to do with my extra copy. I'll either return it if it's missing something or in bad condition, or maybe I'll sell it on Ebay. Who knows. :lol:

[quote name='gobz']Here is the boilerplate answer I got from Atlus:Hi Nick,

Unfortunately, we aren’t disclosing specific information about reprints. Thank you for your interest in our games, and be sure to pick up Persona 3: FES today!

Rob Stone
QA Lead

ATLUS USA, Inc.
949.788.0455 x117
[/quote]

That was probably my fault after I released a quoted info directly from Rob Stone last week saying that Nocturne reprint was legit and somehow that email got spread all over the internet (I became famous I guess?).

Atlus doesnt like their customers buying their games and making money at all so they dont want you to know about it /sarcasm lol

I love Atlus but when it comes to business these guys are just ass backwards. Just say you made a reprint. More people will be happy than pissed. And it's not like the pissed people will stop buying their games.

[quote name='superdry']Also, for anyone who will receive their copy from GS online, what type of case are you getting with it? New or old style?[/quote]

ya, will let you know what the condition is and everything once i get it in the mail

[quote name='superdry']I love Atlus but when it comes to business these guys are just ass backwards. Just say you made a reprint. More people will be happy than pissed. And it's not like the pissed people will stop buying their games.[/quote]

i love atlus too, even if theyre pwning my wallet

[quote name='jeremywoods']ya, will let you know what the condition is and everything once i get it in the mail

i love atlus too, even if theyre pwning my wallet[/quote]

Hehe...quoted the wrong person on your second comment. lol.

The question now is if there is a DDS1 reprint, why does GS only sell them? Is this possible reprint even more low-key than the Nocturne one?

If GS online is selling DDS1 complete, sans box, everyone wins as much as people on this forum depise GS. Atlus get's their money, GS makes a profit and people are able to buy this game on the cheap (relatively, considering what it goes for on amazon and ebay).

Forgot, one more question to ask fellow CAGs who bought this recently in a store...does any of the stickers say "TSH-RFB"? on it.

Also, for anyone who will receive their copy from GS online, what type of case are you getting with it? New or old style?[/quote]

Exactly same experience here - same dates & it was marked as nocturne. But the guy there used a 20% off used games coupon of his own, on top of my edge card. And I can tell that the disk & manual have never been touched. Can bet its a new copy that they gutted. But for 28 bucks - I am not really complaining :)

[quote name='gobz']I love Atlus but when it comes to business these guys are just ass backwards. Just say you made a reprint. More people will be happy than pissed. And it's not like the pissed people will stop buying their games.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you... every time there's a reprint, they just dilly dally about it rather than just let people know. I don't see why the benefit is they don't admit there's a reprint.:whistle2:k

[quote name='Vinny']I'm with you... every time there's a reprint, they just dilly dally about it rather than just let people know. I don't see why the benefit is they don't admit there's a reprint.:whistle2:k[/quote]

Exactly. The only people that will be annoyed by a reprint are hoarders who will see the ending price of their eBay auctions plummet. Everyone else will gladly embrace the opportunity to buy a formerly rare game for cheap.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm with you... every time there's a reprint, they just dilly dally about it rather than just let people know. I don't see why the benefit is they don't admit there's a reprint.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

And they do a shitty as fuck job distributing this stuff... whoever they are using as their distributor needs to be fired.

If I knew these reprints would coming, you bet your ass I would have pre-ordered (if possible) or been at the store as soon as they came out. But Atlus doesn't even give anyone a heads up... they just kind of reappear one day, nobody knows what the hell is going on, collector's don't want to bite on it because it seems too good to be true... Atlus has to be smarter than this.

This shit with them slowly trickling in, who knows what's going on, will it have case or manual, causes them to lose two potential sales from me.

Make it so I can buy these easily, with no guesswork, and guess what Atlus, I'll gladly give you my $80. When I can definitely go into a store and grab them both, or get them from Amazon, I will do it. But I'm not rolling the dice on $80 worth of used stuff online that may or may not be reprints / gutted. Gamestop needs to cut the shit and just sell these as new, they would get A LOT more sales.

Not saying there is a reprint? All they are doing is hurting their own sales... I don't see the sense in keeping it a secret you re-released games PEOPLE DESPERATELY WANT TO BUY AND ALREADY PAY DOUBLE THE COST FOR!!!!

[quote name='Strife025']Yea they pretty much screw themselves by gutting rpg's, especially rare ones. People who buy RPG's are usually in a different boat then people who buy madden or halo or something. I see alot of returns in the near future if every nocturne/dds they are shipping is disk only.

Also with Nocturne dropping to 39.99 I wonder if they got in a shipment like Play-Asia? Too bad I already ordered it from PA for 44.99 + $4.xx in shipping.[/QUOTE]

well not really. I mean are people less lilkely to pick up Etrian Odyssey because it is gutted?

[quote name='62t']well not really. I mean are people less lilkely to pick up Etrian Odyssey because it is gutted?[/quote]
No. :whistle2:(

[quote name='62t']well not really. I mean are people less lilkely to pick up Etrian Odyssey because it is gutted?[/quote]

Nope. I couldn't even find it like that though. Only 2 Izunas

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Exactly. The only people that will be annoyed by a reprint are hoarders who will see the ending price of their eBay auctions plummet. Everyone else will gladly embrace the opportunity to buy a formerly rare game for cheap.[/QUOTE]

you cant just have a narrow view of horders getting pissed. you also got to think about the people who payed high prices just to play the game. wouldnt you be mad if u payed $80 for DDS and the next week it got reprinted for way cheaper?

and again this brings me to the point of just buy the game when it comes out, if you rly want it you will pay full price. if you wait too long and it goes OOP then thats your fault. if you just heard of this game then ask around. its all about location. i may have 1 disc only copy over here while sum1 in Kansas can get 6 complete minty copies.

you cant just have a narrow view of horders getting pissed. you also got to think about the people who payed high prices just to play the game. wouldnt you be mad if u payed $80 for DDS and the next week it got reprinted for way cheaper?

And how many people do you think actually buy rare games every week for high prices? Not too many. In the end, the amount of people who would be happy and benefit far, far outweigh the number who would be annoyed. It's that simple. That's all that matters, and that is why Atlus should do its customers a service and a) reprint their games more often and b) not pussyfoot around the issue when they do reprint them.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']And how many people do you think actually buy rare games every week for high prices? Not too many. In the end, the amount of people who would be happy and benefit far, far outweigh the number who would be annoyed. It's that simple. That's all that matters, and that is why Atlus should do its customers a service and a) reprint their games more often and b) not pussyfoot around the issue when they do reprint them.[/QUOTE]

You can't just say something like that because... you don't know (unless you have some statistical data somewhere that I don't know about). And I can't say otherwise, because I don't know either.

But I don't think it's too far fetched to say that some people do and as Refused said, those people aren't going to be happy. And this a big issue for a smaller company like Atlus I'm guessing as they serve a more niche crowd.

I still don't see how not admitting to a reprint helps gamers and hurts hoarders... because it could work both ways. A gamer not aware of a reprint could pay a ton of money for a game which could end up being in the bargain bin days later. And for proof of that, you need not look any further than the Persona 2 and Rhapsody reprints.

You can't just say something like that because... you don't know (unless you have some statistical data somewhere that I don't know about). And I can't say otherwise, because I don't know either.

Lacking statistical evidence does not bare one from making logical conclusions. How many copies of these SMT games do you really think exchange hands on a daily basis for the insane prices many second-hand dealers want? Not many.

But I don't think it's too far fetched to say that some people do and as Refused said, those people aren't going to be happy. And this a big issue for a smaller company like Atlus I'm guessing as they serve a more niche crowd.

And again, for every one person that might get annoyed because they overpaid on eBay or Half or Amazon, there will be a lot more people who held off and will greatly appreciate the fact that there was a reprint.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Lacking statistical evidence does not bare one from making logical conclusions. How many copies of these SMT games do you really think exchange hands on a daily basis for the insane prices many second-hand dealers want? Not many.

And again, for every one person that might get annoyed because they overpaid on eBay or Half or Amazon, there will be a lot more people who held off and will greatly appreciate the fact that there was a reprint.[/QUOTE]

I'm not denying that those who benefit are in greater number than those who get screwed, I'm just saying that there's little to no reason to deny a reprint.:whistle2:|

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']And how many people do you think actually buy rare games every week for high prices? Not too many. In the end, the amount of people who would be happy and benefit far, far outweigh the number who would be annoyed. It's that simple. That's all that matters, and that is why Atlus should do its customers a service and a) reprint their games more often and b) not pussyfoot around the issue when they do reprint them.[/QUOTE]

yea sure cause clearly these games dont sell on ebay or here:roll:

reprinting doesnt affect horders as much as you think, its stupid to think so since they can just hord the reprints also

and if we knew that they were going to reprint games, there would be no rush to buy it when it came out since we would just think that there will be plenty of copies later on.

bottom line is that you should be glad that they even considered reprinting this cause they dont have to. they are not trying to please every gamer by sucking their D, reprinting every game they want. and if they choose not to announce it then thats their choice, its not like they have to worry that these copies wont sell.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Lacking statistical evidence does not bare one from making logical conclusions. How many copies of these SMT games do you really think exchange hands on a daily basis for the insane prices many second-hand dealers want? Not many.

And again, for every one person that might get annoyed because they overpaid on eBay or Half or Amazon, there will be a lot more people who held off and will greatly appreciate the fact that there was a reprint.[/QUOTE]

yea but Atlus carries to a niche crowd, thus its a small group, thus those few people matter

[quote name='Paris_Hilton_Groupie']Oh, I am definitely itching, and it's not because I wanna play the game. Ok, maybe that's part of the reason.[/QUOTE]

lol gross, herpes

[quote name='Paris_Hilton_Groupie']Oh, I am definitely itching, and it's not because I wanna play the game. Ok, maybe that's part of the reason.[/quote]
Paris_Hilton_Groupie
Paris_Hilton

Better get that checked, son!

On topic, do GS ever send out tracking numbers for online orders?

[quote name='xAix']Well lookie here, looks like mine shipped out already. :D[/quote]
Mine hasnt shipped yet. :cry: Yesterday it said pending and today it says verifying. Hurry the fuck up!

I really can't wait to get the game. For me, I didn't miss them (Nocturne & DDS) the first time because of unwillingness to pay full price or anything like that. I just wasn't aware how limited the pressings were for Atlus games. I just wasn't familiar either with the SMT series. I've bought Atlus games on day one in the past (Disgaea, Luminous Arc, Phantom Brave, etc as examples), but I wasn't looking at those games on the basis of another Atlus title coming out like I do now. For the most part if Atlus publishes it, I enjoy it. It's hard to say that about other companies (Blizzard would be another example of a company like that).

[quote name='Antic']I really can't wait to get the game. For me, I didn't miss them (Nocturne & DDS) the first time because of unwillingness to pay full price or anything like that. I just wasn't aware how limited the pressings were for Atlus games. I just wasn't familiar either with the SMT series. I've bought Atlus games on day one in the past (Disgaea, Luminous Arc, Phantom Brave, etc as examples), but I wasn't looking at those games on the basis of another Atlus title coming out like I do now. For the most part if Atlus publishes it, I enjoy it. It's hard to say that about other companies (Blizzard would be another example of a company like that).[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean.
Now that ive become a more well-adjusted gamer (now owning a PS2), Ill happily support atlus, or any other decent publisher/developer with few prints first before giving in to any big brand games....which kinda makes me skip out on TWEWY for a while...but that game tempts me so!

[quote name='Antic']I really can't wait to get the game. For me, I didn't miss them (Nocturne & DDS) the first time because of unwillingness to pay full price or anything like that. I just wasn't aware how limited the pressings were for Atlus games. I just wasn't familiar either with the SMT series. I've bought Atlus games on day one in the past (Disgaea, Luminous Arc, Phantom Brave, etc as examples), but I wasn't looking at those games on the basis of another Atlus title coming out like I do now. For the most part if Atlus publishes it, I enjoy it. It's hard to say that about other companies (Blizzard would be another example of a company like that).[/quote]

i know what you mean.

i just recently got into gaming and collecting. i use to be just a casual player, borrowing games from friends or renting from blockbuster or somethin. its a different feeling when you play your own bought games :)

my friend once told me "if its an atlus game, BUY IT!" lol

[quote name='Antic']I really can't wait to get the game. For me, I didn't miss them (Nocturne & DDS) the first time because of unwillingness to pay full price or anything like that. I just wasn't aware how limited the pressings were for Atlus games. I just wasn't familiar either with the SMT series. I've bought Atlus games on day one in the past (Disgaea, Luminous Arc, Phantom Brave, etc as examples), but I wasn't looking at those games on the basis of another Atlus title coming out like I do now. For the most part if Atlus publishes it, I enjoy it. It's hard to say that about other companies (Blizzard would be another example of a company like that).[/QUOTE]

Well the ting is Atlus not only publish games from Atlus of Japan but other Japanese developer like Success or Banpresto. Magna Carta and Deep Labyrinth are just some of the crappier games that Atlus published. Not a smart move to buy every Atlus game.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']I know what you mean.
[/quote]

[quote name='jeremywoods']i know what you mean.

my friend once told me "if its an atlus game, BUY IT!" lol[/quote]

lol

well, yeah. its not smart to buy EVERY atlus game

lemme rephrase that "if its an atlus game that seems interesting, BUY IT!"

[quote name='62t']Well the ting is Atlus not only publish games from Atlus of Japan but other Japanese developer like Success or Banpresto. Magna Carta and Deep Labyrinth are just some of the crappier games that Atlus published. Not a smart move to buy every Atlus game.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm aware of that too. The good far outweighs the bad though. They have a better ratio than most companies.

There was a period too when I didn't have a PS2 in my house because someone broke in and just ran off with it (didn't even bother to take the power cable or cables), which sucked. The only thing I had was a PC and a gamecube for awhile after that. I can play/get PS2 games now though because I have a 60 gig PS3.

[quote name='Antic']Yeah, I'm aware of that too. The good far outweighs the bad though. They have a better ratio than most companies.

There was a period too when I didn't have a PS2 in my house because someone broke in and just ran off with it (didn't even bother to take the power cable or cables), which sucked. The only thing I had was a PC and a gamecube for awhile after that. I can play/get PS2 games now though because I have a 60 gig PS3.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. Dont worry, things will even out in the end.

Such as you getting a chance to play DDS :)

DDS and Nocturne suddenly showed up as "in stock" at my local GS. I'm going to drop by and see what kind of quality I should be expecting from my online orders.

[quote name='jeremywoods']
my friend once told me "if its an atlus game, BUY IT!" lol[/QUOTE]

I would say the same but everytime I think about buying every Atlus game I remember the fondly published Tennis game from Atlus that couldn't even sell for $3 clearanced at Target. Forget the name, but that's one of the few.

Not every title from Atlus is rare/high in demand, just a good majority of them.

I haven't read this entire thread, so hopefully this hasn't been covered yet. But I can confirm that this is definitely a reprint.

I ordered Nocturne from Gamestop last week, and my package arrived today. Only...it wasn't Nocturne, it was DDS. The game is pretty clearly brand-new (opened, of course, but still untouched). The real clincher is the case tho - it's the exact same case that Persona 3 FES is in. No memory card slot, but a PS logo where it should be.

I wasn't even that upset about getting the wrong game, since I wanted DDS as well - but what really sucks is some moron slashed the front of the case with a box cutter. Cut clean through the insert, all the way across the front. I've emailed Atlus to see if I can get a replacement from them, but a local GS shows it being in stock so I may swing by there tomorrow and get them to swap it out.

[quote name='argyle']I haven't read this entire thread, so hopefully this hasn't been covered yet. But I can confirm that this is definitely a reprint.

I ordered Nocturne from Gamestop last week, and my package arrived today. Only...it wasn't Nocturne, it was DDS. The game is pretty clearly brand-new (opened, of course, but still untouched). The real clincher is the case tho - it's the exact same case that Persona 3 FES is in. No memory card slot, but a PS logo where it should be.

I wasn't even that upset about getting the wrong game, since I wanted DDS as well - but what really sucks is some moron slashed the front of the case with a box cutter. Cut clean through the insert, all the way across the front. I've emailed Atlus to see if I can get a replacement from them, but a local GS shows it being in stock so I may swing by there tomorrow and get them to swap it out.[/quote]

Bleh.. In for one then. I hate giving money to gamestop. But if the game is anything but mint that piece is getting returned.

bread's done
Back