Discovery's Deadliest Catch!

This contest might not be over. I was told I won last night at appx 2 am yesterday. Never heard back from them. I thought I might have keyed in the wrong email address (it was yahoo and it usually took anywhere from 3 minutes to 30). Just now (1:15 pm the next day) my box got swamped with "sorry" but the 1 win was there.

I'm getting all sorts of fun errors trying to redeem some codes. Hitting redeem code on xbox.com just says an error has occurred. Hitting the add points button on xbox.com then redeeming the code there it says purchases cannot be made on xbox.com marketplace at this time and to enter it on your 360. Then on 360 I get status code 8016a04b. Then on points.microsoft.com it says not availible in your region. Wheeee!

Damn, i guess i missed out on this! I always miss the contests, F me, lol. Oh well... maybe a kind soul with a billion points from this will send some my way :p. But i'm hoping to get in on the next one of these... If there ever is one.

So you guys just enter random phone numbers for this but enter the same email on the online form? And you can win tons of MSP?

I can't believe I missed out on this last night :( Ah well, guess I have a shot today :)

[quote name='1Sail0r']So you guys just enter random phone numbers for this but enter the same email on the online form? And you can win tons of MSP?

I can't believe I missed out on this last night :( Ah well, guess I have a shot today :)[/QUOTE]

Or not: the contest looks to be dead, at least in terms of the way it was working yesterday.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Or not: the contest looks to be dead, at least in terms of the way it was working yesterday.[/QUOTE]

But isn't the contest supposed to go on to the 14th or something? :(

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Or not: the contest looks to be dead, at least in terms of the way it was working yesterday.[/quote]
Yeah, now it appears that the email check is active along with the phone number check. The contest is likely still going, but it is now likely harder to win.

I dont have any of those games.Can someone PM me a code?
or 2,lol,I want the Mythic Map Pack.

Thanks!

I can confirm this is dead. They have caught on with multiple entries using same email. And also no more instant wins. Oh well it was good while it lasted. The only way to enter now is use your cellphone to text the keyword to 52580.

texts back says "play again tomorrow"...guess ill start texting at midnite :) guessing it will be a different code. thx discovery.

[quote name='luan87us']I can confirm this is dead. They have caught on with multiple entries using same email. And also no more instant wins. Oh well it was good while it lasted. The only way to enter now is use your cellphone to text the keyword to 52580.[/quote]
Well, it's not quite dead. It's less alive :lol:

[quote name='outphase']Well, it's not quite dead. It's less alive :lol:[/quote]
they don't have instant win anymore. They're out of codes. I tried texting the keyword but got that we're out of code message xD.

I saw an ad on the rink in NHL09 for free Microsoft Points. If they are running the ad don't you think they still have the points? I am going to see if there is a new word or code tomorrow.

I hope they are actually screening for FRAUDULENT entries now. At least MightyHealthy has the guts to point out how immoral it is for everyone to be cheating and stealing just because they can get away with it. Anyone entering a ton of times to win a lot of MSP through fraud should be ashamed of themselves, and it disturbs me that they're not.

Oh, and as soon as I posted this, I entered the contest and this is the new message:

Thanks for entering. Due to fraudulent activity of entrants, we are suspending the instant win component of the sweepstakes. We will still award all of the instant win prizes in a random drawing from all entries received at the end of the sweepstakes. Remember, only 3 entries per person per day. People signing up with more than 1 email address or phone number in an attempt to enter more than 3 times per day will be invalidated.

Enjoy your stolen points.

[quote name='Bill Mcdougal']I hope they are actually screening for FRAUDULENT entries now. At least MightyHealthy has the guts to point out how immoral it is for everyone to be cheating and stealing just because they can get away with it. Anyone entering a ton of times to win a lot of MSP through fraud should be ashamed of themselves, and it disturbs me that they're not.

Oh, and as soon as I posted this, I entered the contest and this is the new message:

Enjoy your stolen points.[/QUOTE]

^ This.

To all of you that shamelessly stole hundreds of dollars worth of points without even giving it a second thought: you have my utmost gratitude for effectively ruining the game for those of us who were playing legitimately. You really are paragons for us all.

:|

[quote name='dodgeme']I did enjoy them. It feels good to f the rich every now and then.[/QUOTE]

Why? What did they do wrong to you?

The Mod should close this thread before it gets ugly in here about legal and moral issues. The contest is over anyway (suspended due to lack of Programming experience and not theft).

[quote name='Jmac825']^ This.

To all of you that shamelessly stole hundreds of dollars worth of points without even giving it a second thought: you have my utmost gratitude for effectively ruining the game for those of us who were playing legitimately. You really are paragons for us all.

:|[/quote]
The way the drawing worked was based on a random draw generated at registration time. Unless you tried getting in after the well dried up, someone spamming random numbers had no effect on your entries.

Your entry is assigned a randomly generated number 1-100. If that number matches the one pre-selected for that day, then you win. For example, if the number is 57 for the day, your random drawing numbers must match 57 or else you lose. Someone winning or losing before you would have no effect on you as your chance is 1% each entry.

[quote name='outphase']The way the drawing worked was based on a random draw generated at registration time. Unless you tried getting in after the well dried up, someone spamming random numbers had no effect on your entries.[/QUOTE]

How does it work now? :whistle2:?
Is it that you just enter 1 email address and phone number on the online form and wait for it to end?

Or do you enter by texting the phrase at 12am?

[quote name='1Sail0r']How does it work now? :whistle2:?
Is it that you just enter 1 email address and phone number on the online form and wait for it to end?

Or do you enter by texting the phrase at 12am?[/quote]
It works the same way, but prizes are no longer distributed on the fly. I'd imagine that your win status is determined on registration just like before, but they might verify winning entries.

Texting grants you the same chances of winning as an online entry. I don't know of the contest terms allow you to do both an online and text entries. I didn't read that section.

[quote name='Jmac825']^ This.

:|[/quote]

I wish I could have gotten in on that. Congrats to everyone that got hundreds of dollars worth of points.

The same people that bitch about people manipulating contests are usually the same who pounce on price mistakes in store, drive fast on the highway, and rape babies (ok maybe not that last one).

Count me in as super jealous, but impressed that people managed to figure out the loophole so quickly. Hope I'm early next time. :applause:

Originally Posted by The top of this very forum page
Contests & Free Stuff - Video game related contests (and others of interest to the community) shall be posted here. This includes contests run by CAG and other websites. Please post any free offers here too.
NO BEGGING FOR FREE STUFF - ONLY POST CONTESTS AND AVAILABLE FREEBIES

stop with the fraud accuses.

[quote name='wesdw369']thanks for ruining it for the rest of us[/quote]
People shouldn't be complaining about the rule change. If you knew about this last night, you'd be abusing it too. I didn't get in on this deal, and by no means do I feel cheated.

And... the contest is still going. It's not like they stopped it all together.

[quote name='zohar']People shouldn't be complaining about the rule change. If you knew about this last night, you'd be abusing it too. I didn't get in on this deal, and by no means do I feel cheated.

And... the contest is still going. It's not like they stopped it all together.[/quote]

words of a real man/woman. thanks you! This is common here people always make it like the end of the world when they miss out on a good deal for not visiting the forum enough. Just like how people drives 70mph on the freeway complains about people drive 75mph.

[quote name='zohar']People shouldn't be complaining about the rule change. If you knew about this last night, you'd be abusing it too. I didn't get in on this deal, and by no means do I feel cheated.

And... the contest is still going. It's not like they stopped it all together.[/quote]
This is exactly the point of the posts I have making lately. If you were playing by the rules, nothing has changed for you other than when you are notified.

[quote name='outphase']If you were playing by the rules, nothing has changed for you other than when you are notified.[/QUOTE]
Well, that kinda depends... In the updated terms that Bill Mcdougal posted, they state that all entries (regardless of method) are going into a random drawing at the conclusion of the sweepstakes. Unless they are allowing multiple wins in that final drawing (or maybe even having two separate final drawings), your possible winnings from the contests have changed. In other words, you can only win 400pts instead of 800pts. Maybe not much of a difference to people who've won thousands of points, but probably an important difference to those entrants playing legitimately.

[quote name='outphase']I thought that conclusion drawing was for the grand prize of 4000 MSP.[/QUOTE]
Hmm...I didn't even notice that 4000pt. grand prize.

Thanks for entering. Due to fraudulent activity of entrants, we are suspending the instant win component of the sweepstakes. We will still award all of the instant win prizes in a random drawing from all entries received at the end of the sweepstakes. Remember, only 3 entries per person per day. People signing up with more than 1 email address or phone number in an attempt to enter more than 3 times per day will be invalidated.
It's more vague than the language in the original Terms & Conditions, but that's how I interpreted it.

Although, a drawing after the end of each calendar day would make much more sense. It would give them the time to verify entries, while keeping in the spirit of the daily wins.

[quote name='luan87us']stop with the fraud accuses.[/quote]

Are you stupid or just suck at reading comprehension?

Anyway, nice work to the CAGs who got a ton of MSP. I missed this thanks to my fucking back killing me all weekend and messing up my sleeping pattern. I figure with stuff like this happening everyone once in a while there really is no point (pun not intended) to buying points.

If anybody has unused codes, maybe they could look through the xbox live code trading thread, see if anybody has something you might want, spread the wealth so to speak.

That way two people can get something using your points, instead of just one. It's pretty hard to set up game for game trades, but I'm sure everyone (including me lol) would be happy to trade points directly.

And... the contest is still going. It's not like they stopped it all together.[/QUOTE]

No, I can assure you that I wouldn't have been abusing it too had I found it in time too. But stealing is okay as long as you guys can rationalize it by saying it's no big deal because some other people speed on the highway, huh? :roll:

i dont steal, so i didnt jump at the chance, and now IF i win anything (which is unlikely thanks to the people winning over the legit 1200 limit a day) i have to wait until the end of the contest to get it now, this is like complaining that the cops are out because someone robbed a bank and being told "you would have robbed the bank too if you knew the cops werent out" which is a load of shit, not everyone thinks like a thief just because they come to a website to find video games for cheaper, it would have been funny if they started banning the accounts that used huge numbers, or if they just stopped the contest

bread's done
Back