Disney buys Lucasfilm & announces Star Wars: Episode VII

[quote name='eLefAdEr']I don't doubt they'll ask him for approval on the direction they want to take the story, but I'm inclined to take his wording from late May that his influence will be fairly minimal. It really sounds to me like he's done with that level of intense involvement.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't matter in a way, because if it all goes to shit we're still going to blame him if he's anywhere near the credits anyways.

[quote name='bardockkun']It doesn't matter in a way, because if it all goes to shit we're still going to blame him if he's anywhere near the credits anyways.[/QUOTE]

100% agreed.

He does deserve it for Indy vs. The Aliens IMO. :lol:

wow....... so will this go in the way of the Zahn trilogy [aka the Thrawn Trilogy]... I can see Mark Hamill doing a cameo to send off the new trilogy...........but they really need to put Kyle Katarn into the new trilogy.......... no doubt we will at least have r2 and 3po in the new series. I am betting you Harrison Ford has too much of a big ego to come back to play Solo.......anyone can play Chewie.............. and Carrie Fisher........well..............I dunno.....

Not sure how I feel. Also imagine Star Wars in Kingdom Hearts? Darth Vader tells Sora that he's the father and wants him to join the heartless and reign with the darkside.

How long can Disney carry the Star Wars torch?

I am thinking a LOT of people are going to loose their jobs and there is going to be a lot of restructuring of all Lucas properties.....which could mean a closure of LucasArts, a scale back of ILM (which btw, doesn't seem to be the leader any more in FX of movies]
In any case the bottom line is a lot of people are going to loose their jobs in this transaction.

Not just layoffs (like what happened @ Marvel) But drastic expenditure slashing. It's what is ultimately monumentally stupid about buying a profitable company.

I wont jump for joy just because we might get another Star Wars. Thats all it'll ever be , ...another one

[quote name='Blaster man']Princess Leia, the next Disney princess.[/QUOTE]

Fat-Carrie-Fisher.jpeg
0911_fisher_tmz_video-1.jpg

Yummy.

[quote name='Ispep Aloc']Would love to see the Timothy Zahn books as episodes 7-9 but I doubt that happens.[/QUOTE]

I at least hope Episode VII will be ~20 years after RotJ so it won't seem odd to have new actors playing all of the roles.

The next movie can't possibly be as bad as the dreck that Lucas released like a weaponized virus. I'm completely put off of Star Wars at this point anyway so this is just hilarious news for me just to see all of the overblown reactions.

This is great news. If you don't like it or it legitimately ends up sucking, then just keep pretending the first three movies pre-Lucas revisions are the only thing that exist in your mind.

Otherwise, short of Lucas dying, this was the only way Star Wars was ever going to move forward.

I also hope FOX is kicking themselves somewhere. This could have been their baby.

I thought this was a joke when I first read about it. But, I'm excited. I have no complaints about Disney "kiddifying" the films. We all fell in love with the series as kids and they are cross generational.

A note to Disney: Kill the idea of the Avatar land at Animal Kingdom. Imagine an entire section or theme park based on Star Wars. Not just Star Tours. Universal's Harry Potter would be empty.

Finally we can start having stuff that doesn't take place pre episode IV. I'm so sick of things that took place between episode 1 and 3. I really do like the Clone War CG series though. Its about the only thing I like about the prequel trilogy besides the Duel of the Fates song.

I really haven't liked much Lucas has had to do with since the original trilogy.

I'm not 100% sure how I feel on this, but I'm leaning towards more excited then not...I didn't hate the new trilogy as much as a lot of people and I usually enjoy anything that takes place in this universe so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, no to mention how Disney has been buying other franchises and not really making them more kid friendly so well see.

[quote name='jbuck138'] A note to Disney: Kill the idea of the Avatar land at Animal Kingdom. Imagine an entire section or theme park based on Star Wars. Not just Star Tours. Universal's Harry Potter would be empty.[/QUOTE]

Do you really think the Harry Potter parks would be empty if there was a park like that for star wars....Umm most kids under the age of 25 would rather go to Harry Potter over Star Wars.

And since theme parks aren't really meant for the older generation, I highly doubt a Star Wars park would make Harry Potter world lose any business. Now I think the Star Wars park would do great, just like any new park, but to say Harry Potter would be empty is a pretty bone headed thing to say. I also am not a fan of either Harry Potter or Star Wars so not being biased.

On Topic: Disney is not going to turn this into a kiddy franchise. Why in the world do people think that's all Disney makes? Disney knows how to make great movies. Maybe John Carter was a flop as the box office, but the movie itself was done very well. So I have high hopes that Disney brings out a legitimate Star Wars film in 2015.

All Disney needs to do now is purchase the DC rights from WB and they'll effectively own the superhero universe.

Wasn't Disney nearly broke about 15 years or so ago when Eisner was running the company?

I thought I also read that George Lucas owned 100% of Lucasifilm so all of this $4 billion goes directly to him.

I'd love for there to be a new star wars movie but I'm not sure what would make it "good".

The 7 year old me would probably have enjoyed Attack of the clones. The nearly 30 year old me didn't.

Empire still holds up, though. Would love it if my kids had enough of attention spans to sit through the movies with me. :sad:

Lets have joss whedon direct everything :roll:

[quote name='whoknows']Finally we'll get a good Star Wars movie.[/QUOTE]
Are you implying the original trilogy isn't good?

[quote name='moon_knight']Lets have joss whedon direct everything :roll:[/QUOTE]

Works for me. Malcolm Reynolds was just an edgier version of Han Solo anyway.

Also, the first thing Disney should do is put Episodes I - III into "The Vault" for good.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']If Disney were smart they'd use Timothy Zahn's Star Wars books as basis for the sequels.[/QUOTE]

1332573085106.jpg

[quote name='pacifickarma']Works for me. Malcolm Reynolds was just an edgier version of Han Solo anyway.

Also, the first thing Disney should do is put Episodes I - III into "The Vault" for good.[/QUOTE]
He'll probably be busy with avengers 2. Making decent movies is very time consuming

[quote name='moon_knight']
Are you implying the original trilogy isn't good?[/QUOTE]

The bad CGI really took me out of the experience.

That would actually really help. I'm pretty sure we have the technology to do stuff like that now.

Just remaking the movies would probably just be a better option though. Get some more well known actors in there this time instead of a bunch of nobodies.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I honestly didn't think that the prequels were as bad as everybody said they were. I think people just really love to bitch. Given that, I think that these future films will be pretty stupid. It's going to take a lot of creative writing to come up with good story lines that actually make sense.[/QUOTE]
^ 1000x this

Taken as regular movies the prequels were extraordinarily good. However, compared to the original movies I think it's true the first one does fall a little flat, and Jar Jar is annoying, which we all agree on. Still though, episode II and especially III were spectacular. And come on, if any movie ever was just BEGGING for a prequel, it was the original Star Wars.

As for an Episode VII? Totally unnecessary. I also thought the OP was a joke and was expecting a rickroll or something not credible. Look, I'm OK with Lucas making an Episode VII just as long as he promises he won't butt fuck the series like he did with Indiana Jones IV. That movie was just painful, which is really sad because it could have been quite good.

[quote name='whoknows']That would actually really help. I'm pretty sure we have the technology to do stuff like that now.

Just remaking the movies would probably just be a better option though. Get some more well known actors in there this time instead of a bunch of nobodies.[/QUOTE]
Remakes would be a great idea because the originals are so old. Michael Cera as luke would perfect.

I'd rather see Episode 4,5,6 redone the same as the clone wars toon. Remaking them with regular live actors would absolutely suck. Kristen Stewart as Leia? Robert Pattinson as Han? The way hollywood works today would make these into tweener movies with the "hot" actors of today playing these iconic roles. No Thank You!!!

[quote name='whoknows']His hairstyle is just as awful as Mark Hamill's was in those movies.[/QUOTE]
I heard that the movies were so bad because they spent most of their time and money working on that hairstyle. Tyler Perry as lando

[quote name='bardockkun']
Plus I can only dream this happens, but...A Pixar Indiana Jones film would be amazing.[/QUOTE]

Might as well have them do a Pixar Star Wars too. I'd bet they could pull of a pretty cool SW flick.

[quote name='blackjaw']Timothy Zahn trilogy please.[/QUOTE]

I thought this at first too, but after mullying over a little more, I don't think it would work. Not only would they have to nail everything "perfectly" to avoid an internet backlash, there are also Force blocking animals. Force blocking animals!

It's still my favorite Star Wars story, but I don't think it would work on film. If they start their own trilogy, the sky's the limit.

Only good can come out of this. At least George is done shitting on Star Wars now.

I am also hoping for a remastered original trilogy on blu ray, I'm pretty sure that's coming. George was hard-headed, Disney wants to make money.

[quote name='tcrash247']Only good can come out of this. At least George is done shitting on Star Wars now.

I am also hoping for a remastered original trilogy on blu ray, I'm pretty sure that's coming. George was hard-headed, Disney wants to make money.[/QUOTE]

This. Everyone crapped their pants when Disney bought Marvel, then Avengers quickly shut everyones traps. The way Lucas has been for the last... 2 decades, I'm thinking only good can come from this.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I honestly didn't think that the prequels were as bad as everybody said they were. I think people just really love to bitch. Given that, I think that these future films will be pretty stupid. It's going to take a lot of creative writing to come up with good story lines that actually make sense.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the first. Lots of painful moments, especially in the first two, but not as bad as many make them out to be. Same with Indy 4 IMO.

Disagree on the 2nd. The extended universe (novels etc.) have some great Star Wars stories. I doubt they'll use any of those, but those show it's not hard to write good, compelling stories in that universe.

Lots of options with Jedi, return of the Sith (any Jedi can turn to the dark side), invasions from beyond the galaxy etc. Not to mention ability to go back and make old republic movies after episodes 7-9 are done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only good can come of this.
And yes, the Prequels were that bad. The last 30 years have completely proven one fact to me: Anyone can make a good Star Wars story EXCEPT for Lucas.

The first prequel was mind-blowing dull. I didn't even bother to see the next two, because it was so horrible. Sorry, but there was no exaggeration on how bad at least the first prequel was. IMHO. :) :)

I'll be curious to see what Disney comes up with, and maybe taking it out of the hands of Lucas will help. After all the best original movie was the one that he had the least to do with: Empire.

Nothing but eye-candy. For anyone who loves the Star Wars Universe though, a complete disappointment. Turning one of the greatest bad guys, Darth Vader, into a whiny baby is something I will never get past.

bread's done
Back