Disney buys Lucasfilm & announces Star Wars: Episode VII

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agreed on the first. Lots of painful moments, especially in the first two, but not as bad as many make them out to be. Same with Indy 4 IMO.

Disagree on the 2nd. The extended universe (novels etc.) have some great Star Wars stories. I doubt they'll use any of those, but those show it's not hard to write good, compelling stories in that universe.

Lots of options with Jedi, return of the Sith (any Jedi can turn to the dark side), invasions from beyond the galaxy etc. Not to mention ability to go back and make old republic movies after episodes 7-9 are done.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. The prequels weren't great but not as horrible as all the internet nerds make them out to be. The potential for awesome Star Wars stories is basically endless. Disney has done an amazing job with Marvel so I have high hopes they will be careful with Star Wars and not crap all over it. Just think, in 20 years there might only be 3 iffy movies out of 15+ movies overall!

You guys must have seen different movies than the ones I saw, because yes the prequels were pretty bad. Ep III was ok, but the first two are pretty flat, with dull characters, bad acting, and a ho-hum story. It all led up to the 3rd, which I thought delivered, but those first 2 prequels, EWWW!

So Georgie boy wants to complain that people shit on his prequel vision? That's why he doesn't want to do anymore? fuck man, learn to take criticism or get out of the game.

Oh, he has, well then.

[quote name='themaster20000']I think Mr.Plinkett did a good job on explaining why the prequels were bad.[/QUOTE]

I liked the prequels even less after watching his reviews.

[quote name='themaster20000']I think Mr.Plinkett did a good job on explaining why the prequels were bad.[/QUOTE]

The best part of the prequels are the Mr. Plinkett reviews.

[quote name='mr.ratburn']
michael_cera.jpg

Final answer?[/QUOTE]

vader.jpg

I don't understand why Disney getting involved is necessarily a bad thing. Getting Lucas out of the loop is the best thing to happen to Star wars in over 20 years. The prequels sucked.

[quote name='kaw']The best part of the prequels are the Mr. Plinkett reviews.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who thinks the prequels were good obviously has terrible taste and probably can't even appreciate pizza rolls.

[quote name='road3283']Anyone who thinks the prequels were good obviously has terrible taste and probably can't even appreciate pizza rolls.[/QUOTE]

I never got my pizza rolls from him.

I love Star Wars as much as the next nerd, but this franchise was dying a slow death...and Lucas himself has been twisting the dagger for years. Say what you want about Disney, but they generally do things right. Even if just "doing it right" means serving as a bank for the ones actually bringing in the creativity, at least they can recognize talent. Pixar has flourished since Disney took them in. Marvel has done the same. Disney's own brand of animation has even been revitalized.

Yes, some of their live action films haven't been mega blockbusters, but they've been more than serviceable (Prince of Persia, John Carter, etc). With a known franchise with as much of a history to pull from as Star Wars, there's no way they don't show it some meticulous TLC. And at the very least, at least we won't have George Lucas getting in his own way and mucking everything up because of some insane "vision" he has. As odd of an acquisition as this may be, I'll be shocked if it doesn't end up being a great thing.

Ya know, something else that wouldn't surprise me is if this turned out to be like a Steve Jobs thing, and we'll find out in a month or so that Lucas has cancer or something.

So more then likely no chance of rerelease of original trilogy without the dumb edits and CG since 20th Century Fox still owns the rights to those.

[quote name='strawyleader997']I loved Star Wars I-VI and I think Disney is just going to make a real :censored: movie and ruin it for me.[/QUOTE]
If you liked the prequels I think you should be more then fine with whatever Disney makes.

People actually like the original star wars trilogy!? Next thing you'll know, people will say good movies were made before 2000.

Lucas is giving almost all of the 4 billion dollars to education. He made some shitty prequels, but that's a worthy thing indeed.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-deal-george-lucas-will-384947

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUbH1SEsqiE&feature=player_embedded

...I liked this. Even though Darth Vader is already at Disneyland. Kids can build their own lightsabers and fight Darth Vader dressed as Jedis.

Personally, I think this will be fine. Now that Disney owns the franchise, we can finally get the original non-special edition trilogy on Blu-Ray sooner or later. I think it's also fun to note that Pixar was originally a part of Lucasarts. They seem to being doing quite well with Disney.

The only bad side I can see is that Disney has a weird 52 episode policy with most of their television series. Although, that would probably just mean a new Star Wars series every 2-3 years.

Am I the only one who really dislikes the Clone Wars series? That show just has no character, and I can't stand the animation style.

[quote name='Clak']Am I the only one who really dislikes the Clone Wars series? That show just has no character, and I can't stand the animation style.[/QUOTE]

The Clone Wars miniseries from Genndy Tartakovsky was the shit though.

I didn't care for any of the clone wars cartoons either. I'd rather watch The Ewoks Battle for Endor.

[quote name='Clak']Am I the only one who really dislikes the Clone Wars series? That show just has no character, and I can't stand the animation style.[/QUOTE]

The current one that uses CG is horrible, but the one that aired earlier in the 2000's wasn't that bad. I liked that how it presented the story and ended it right where Episode III starts.

[quote name='tangytangerine']The current one that uses CG is horrible, but the one that aired earlier in the 2000's wasn't that bad. I liked that how it presented the story and ended it right where Episode III starts.[/QUOTE]
That and it actually showed more of Anakin's fall from grace with his anger consuming him. Not to mention the reveal of Grievous and the Jedi's themselves were so much more bad ass then what Episode III gave us.

The CG cartoon now just feels so limited in everything it can do since you know how it ends and there's no weight to anything ever happening. That and after episode III it's clearly stated Anakin is a goddamn child killer, yet this show tries to make us root for him.

Watched the Plinkett Star Wars reviews over the last couple of days. They were great, thanks guys.

Another thing that bums me out about it is Disney has crappy digital copies. I'm pretty sure they aren't in HD. I don't know if they do it to the studios they own or just the ones released under the Disney name. I don't buy movies anymore without a digital copy. Avengers and The Secret World of Arrietty the the only blurays I watched this year that I had to put into my player.

[quote name='themaster20000']The Clone Wars miniseries from Genndy Tartakovsky was the shit though.[/QUOTE]
The 2d animated one was awesome, this new one is shit.

I kind of lost interest in the show over the years, this plus watching it on SD since Verizon FIOS didn't get CN in HD until about a month ago!

[quote name='ITDEFX']I kind of lost interest in the show over the years, this plus watching it on SD since Verizon FIOS didn't get CN in HD until about a month ago![/QUOTE]

Wait... FIOS has CN in HD now??? If I wasn't without power right now due to the storm I'd check this out. I swear I don't have it unless its one of those BS Verizon deals where you have to call to get it activated. When Nickelodeon and a few others went HD we had to call - so annoying.

[quote name='Javery']Wait... FIOS has CN in HD now??? If I wasn't without power right now due to the storm I'd check this out. I swear I don't have it unless its one of those BS Verizon deals where you have to call to get it activated. When Nickelodeon and a few others went HD we had to call - so annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hear ya! Yeah it's on FIOS now... I am on the Middle Tier of whatever their fucked up package system is. Now I can see Robot Chicken in HD! :D

SOmething just hit me..........how is the Disney ownership going to affect those star wars fan films? Will Disney start declaring that fan films are illegal??!?!?

Clone wars was decent for a 'kids' show, The show looked pretty spectacular compared to other computer animated shows in the past, the style takes a little while to get used to and some may not like it but the show does have some interesting lore for those fans, including myself, that love star wars. The only thing I could really nitpick is that the battle droids are too dumb. The new movies are not perfect but the originals weren't either. As for Disney buying the rights I have hopes that we will see similar treatment in the dvd bluray releases as they do their other disney movies (DVD/Bluray/Digital Combo pack ftw). I also would hope that they would see fit to release the original version again, which are out of print and hard to get.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Clone wars was decent for a 'kids' show, The show looked pretty spectacular compared to other computer animated shows in the past, the style takes a little while to get used to and some may not like it but the show does have some interesting lore for those fans, including myself, that love star wars. The only thing I could really nitpick is that the battle droids are too dumb. The new movies are not perfect but the originals weren't either. As for Disney buying the rights I have hopes that we will see similar treatment in the dvd bluray releases as they do their other disney movies (DVD/Bluray/Digital Combo pack ftw). I also would hope that they would see fit to release the original version again, which are out of print and hard to get.[/QUOTE]

lol I can see it now...............OWN THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY FOR A LIMITED TIME BEFORE IT IS RETURNED TO THE VAULT FOREVER!!!

[quote name='Access_Denied']Looks like Darth Vader might be coming back to life. :/

http://sciencefiction.com/2012/11/13/darth-vader-returning-for-star-wars-episode-vii/[/QUOTE]

According to British tabloid site Express.co.uk

I'll believe it when I see it. It is a horrible idea and anyone who knows even the smallest bit about Star Wars would know it is a horrible idea. I guess they could clone him but honestly, they can't be out of ideas already - they haven't done anything yet!

He comes back as a good guy to chase robot darth maul in the future to stop him from assassinating kid pad me to ensure his son lives but in order to do so he must make a pact to join darth sidious at the age of 25.
I'm assuming

[quote name='Javery']I'll believe it when I see it. It is a horrible idea and anyone who knows even the smallest bit about Star Wars would know it is a horrible idea. I guess they could clone him but honestly, they can't be out of ideas already - they haven't done anything yet![/QUOTE]Have to agree with that sentiment. He's dead, he should remain dead.

What are peoples thoughts on Michael Arndt being the screenwriter? I think it'll add some heart, which is something the prequels lacked.

Calling anything episode 7 is a bad idea, as is bringing back Vader. But if it ended up that a Joruus C'Baoth-like character started going around in Vader's suit killing good guys - that could be cool. But they would have to have the reveal at the end of the movie(That it isn't Vader) and there is no way that is going to happen.

I hope the third trilogy has NO returning characters in it(not even the droids). They are thinking too small if they think they need Han Solo to tell a story.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I don't care what happens....just give us THRAWN!!![/QUOTE]
The original actors are too old to play Thrawn-era characters. I would imagine if they went off the books it would be new jedi order or after.

Obviously there could be a cool story to tell with the OT folks, I still think it would be better if they went far into the future and told a story without Han and friends.

bread's done
Back