Do not discuss leaked content

[quote name='mykevermin']It's cool, we've figured out the rules.

1) It's ok to talk about pirated games or comment on aspects of pirated games.

2) It's NOT ok to talk about the fact that they do, in fact, pirate games. I'd have a link here, but the thread was deleted by moderator LinkinPrime.[/QUOTE]Was this what you were missing?

[quote name='mykevermin']LinkinPrime is a pirate.

Go ask the OTT how many times they've been banned collectively. It's the most poorly disguised discussion of piracy I've ever seen. On a site that is so concerned about staving off piracy discussion, it's not a shock to see that some conversation happens, but in threads constantly viewed by two or more moderators, it's pretty sad.

It's fucking flagrant, man. It's like walking down the street and having some dude yell at you "yo man i got corn." you may not know the exact meaning of what they just said, but you're 100% sure they just tried to sell you drugs. In the OTT, it's a clumsy use of question marks and dollar signs to throw off searches, and ":cool:" instead of saying "modded" or "pirated." And yet Trakan and LinkinPrime, at the least, whistle and look the other way, *every day*.

As for being banned early, there's something going on here that I don't think people realize: many of you are trying to act as if "playing early" (i.e. prior to street date) and "playing a legit copy early" are two different things. I'm not sure of this (since I'm not a pirate), but I'm pretty confident that there's not really any way that MS can tell if you're playing a genuine or pirated copy of a game - and they thus err on the side of not banning people, assuming a small % are sold early. There are a few cases where games have not shipped and still show up on gamer's recently played list, and that's about as solid a proxy for piracy they can use.

The most common banned consoles on XBL are, I believe, banned because MS can detect the actual modified console via XBL, instead of detecting that they player is using a pirated game. Modding a console violates ToS, blah blah blah, goodbye XBL.

Any fears of being banned for playing early are exaggerated. Mod your console to play pirated games at your own risk, however.[/QUOTE]

Seemed like the missing post in question.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's cool, we've figured out the rules.

1) It's ok to talk about pirated games or comment on aspects of pirated games.

2) It's NOT ok to talk about the fact that they do, in fact, pirate games. I'd have a link here, but the thread was deleted by moderator LinkinPrime.[/QUOTE]

I started a broken down car with a lighting bolt.

[quote name='zewone']You steal apps from the Apple App Store.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6148286&postcount=299[/QUOTE]

Having one picture of Installous on my iphone doesnt prove I pirate apps. I pirate a LOT of stuff but i don't discuss it. If I do discuss a games/movie/music/etc that I happened to have pirated I do so AFTER it has been released as to not draw attention to the fact that I have it BEFORE it is suppossed to come out. The OTT does this blatantly. We all know the rules and we all know piracy exists. But christ, we at least need to uphold the rules evenly for EVERYONE and it is just plain stupid (and basically bragging) if you discuss shit you pirated before its release date.

How dumb would it be for me to say random shit in a thread like "I typed this post into M$ W!rd 2010 to use the new spell check features - I don't notice a difference in the :cool: version of Off!ce 2_10."

I'm not pointing fingers as far as piracy is concerned. I pay my yearly rapidshare subscription for a reason. I just hate that on a website I like so much that bullshit can run rampant just because a mod is involved but if regular members were to discuss a leak (Wolverine) which EVERYONE in the country knows about (it was all over the news) it gets shut down and leads to a sticky being posted, under which is the daily pirOTT discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, come on kids. All the OTT folks win the day: the thread where I called you out got deleted, Casey asked you all to keep the piracy discussion to "a minimum," the other mods who frequented the OTT continued to look the other way. Now we can continue to pretend that piracy discussions don't happen here? Aren't I right?

What more do you all want?[/QUOTE]

I don't allow people to post links to any sort of pirated content, nor do I allow links on tutorials on how to mod consoles.

Months ago a thread was made by Cheapy asking what people thought. The final vote was close, but Cheapy has never made a final decision.

You can talk shit about Linkin all you want. I actually enjoy that. He is a hypocrite. Don't group me in with him though. I take offense to that. If you weren't referring to me, then be more specific with who you call out.

[quote name='Malik112099']Having one picture of Installous on my iphone doesnt prove I pirate apps. [/QUOTE]

That's like saying having a picture of an R4 DS cart doesn't prove piracy.

:roll:

[quote name='manthing']That's like saying having a picture of an R4 DS cart doesn't prove piracy.

:roll:[/QUOTE]

It really doesn't, I do know several people that use the R4 for homebrew apps on the DS and homebrew apps only. Of course, it's quite possible that they could be lying about it, but they showed me the R4 and all the homebrew apps they had.. it was kinda cool, they had a 2D Portal on there.

[quote name='manthing']That's like saying having a picture of an R4 DS cart doesn't prove piracy.

:roll:[/QUOTE]

My pc has a DVD burner..that must mean I pirate software

:applause:

You are just trying to change the subject off of the main point (I already said I pirate shit). I am NOT being a hypocrite here. The site rules dont allow for speak of piracy and I don't speak of it. It just irks me that there are a select few that can get away with it while others get in trouble. This is cheapassgamer, not pirateassgamer. You would think on such a highly visible, highly visited, well know site that Cheapy would enforce a rule like this especially since this is where people come to find deals on games and games are advertised on this site. Would you want to advertise your stuff on a site where people openly talk about stealing said stuff?

A PC DVD burner isn't the same as Installous or an R4 cart.

I don't speak of piracy of games, and consciously try to avoid speaking of other leaked content

[quote name='manthing']A PC DVD burner isn't the same as Installous or an R4 cart.

I don't speak of piracy of games, and consciously try to avoid speaking of other leaked content[/QUOTE]

same here...

Picture2-5.png

for some reason when you click on ODST to compare achievements (for instance Traken's), you don't see any comparison and that they have 0 achievements and 0% (despite it counting on their games page).

in any event, it would be wise for people who pirate games (especially if they're connected online) to either do it after initial release or just play offline (meaning do not connect until release because xbox.com will update stats)

[quote name='Galego23']
Picture3-3.png
[/QUOTE]

Like I said in the other topic, you seem to have a bizarre obsession with Linkin. You're turning this into some kind of personal vendetta.

Again, nowhere in the site's rules does it say that you're not allowed to have pirated content on your gamercard, so I'm not sure what you're trying to do other than convince us of something many of the site's users already knew. What you're posting isn't relevant to the conversation, but does seem like a violation of the site's harassment/stalking rule to me. Given that you've followed him across topics and now across websites, I'm leaning more towards stalking.

And the thing is, I actually agree with you, to an extent. That doesn't mean that you're not an annoying fuck, though. There are better ways to speak your mind than posting pictures from a Photobucket account that you didn't even make yourself.

Maybe I'll get a more eloquent response than the "stfu" you posted and deleted last time? :lol:

That said, that's not why I'm here:

[quote name='crazytalkx']I think this is all a bit much. Keeping advert money is more important than freedom speech I suppose.[/QUOTE]

"Freedom of speech" isn't guaranteed on a privately owned website - otherwise, the site wouldn't have moderators and wouldn't be able to suspend and ban users.

Now, a slight change of subject: After seeing this topic and the one in the 360 forum, it seems that we have a small storm brewing.

Do you guys think we should reopen the piracy conversation?

I'm torn. On one hand, the fact that we have all of this drama makes it seem like we need to actually resolve something this time around, and get a more clear-cut policy. It'd also have the benefit of giving us a place to lump all of the conversations together.

On the other, if we do I know that all of the attacks against specific users will carry over and I'm not sure we'd be able to get anything productive done. There's also the question of whether or not it's even worth trying to make a rule - we'd have to find some way to get the mods to enforce it evenly and across the board, and that could be an issue.

Third alternative: lock the topics and go back to the old system of wink wink nudge nudge. That may actually be the best option, but it's clearly not working for a small and irritatingly vocal part of the site's user base.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']"Freedom of speech" isn't guaranteed on a privately owned website - otherwise, the site wouldn't have moderators and wouldn't be able to suspend and ban users.

Now, a slight change of subject: After seeing this topic and the one in the 360 forum, it seems that we have a small storm brewing.

Do you guys think we should reopen the piracy conversation?

I'm torn. On one hand, the fact that we have all of this drama makes it seem like we need to actually resolve something this time around, and get a more clear-cut policy. It'd also have the benefit of giving us a place to lump all of the conversations together.

On the other, if we do I know that all of the attacks against specific users will carry over and I'm not sure we'd be able to get anything productive done. There's also the question of whether or not it's even worth trying to make a rule - we'd have to find some way to get the mods to enforce it evenly and across the board, and that could be an issue.

Third alternative: lock the topics and go back to the old system of wink wink nudge nudge. That may actually be the best option, but it's clearly not working for a small and irritatingly vocal part of the site's user base.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think it should be reopen. I think if there were a clear cut policy there wouldn't be such an uproar. Personally, my beef with this was the fact that I have seen some threads locked and/or deleted due to spoilers being revealed for movies and games yet some Mods and users discuss it openly on games they have had a chance to already see so it is "ok" in their eyes. If someone wants to talk about a game or movie prior to their release, they should just avoid the thread on that game or movie. A clear cut policy would have less judgemental stuff (i.e. a users ghostbusters personal review post prior to its release was deleted yet the Marvel vs Alliance 2 thread has spoilers all over it and the game doesn't come out until today). How about the talk about Halo OSDT showing up in multiple threads on personal feelings on the game (doesn't release until the 22nd)...

The rule should be this: Talk about stuff all you want since there's no way to tell how you come to posess it. Just don't talk about how to acquire it if you got it by less than honorable means. Simple.

[quote name='Maklershed']The rule should be this: Talk about stuff all you want since there's no way to tell how you come to posess it. Just don't talk about how to acquire it if you got it by less than honorable means. Simple.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. +1

[quote name='Maklershed']The rule should be this: Talk about stuff all you want since there's no way to tell how you come to posess it. Just don't talk about how to acquire it if you got it by less than honorable means. Simple.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't work.

If I talked about beating ODST 3 weeks early in the official thread, people wouldn't care what I was talking about, they would want to know how I got it so early and the discussion quickly turns to that instead of the game.

has linkin responded to those gamercard callouts?

It looks to me like he is taking a big risk by not waiting for the games to pass verification...;)

Raise the BIG RED flag so microsoft can notice...

Zew.. your like the master..:bow:. i haven't even seen ODST out there but I could care less as I have a preorder in.

[quote name='guyver2077']has linkin responded to those gamercard callouts?[/QUOTE]In the OTT he called everyone that was calling him out in here "fucking pussies!"

[quote name='Mojimbo']In the OTT he called everyone that was calling him out in here "fucking pussies!"[/QUOTE]
And then he said he wished he could adopt their children so he could ignore them too.

[quote name='Mojimbo']In the OTT he called everyone that was calling him out in here "fucking pussies!"[/QUOTE]

Isn't the "pussy" the guy hiding in the OTT calling other people "pussies" instead of facing his accusers?

[quote name='zewone']Doesn't work.

If I talked about beating ODST 3 weeks early in the official thread, people wouldn't care what I was talking about, they would want to know how I got it so early and the discussion quickly turns to that instead of the game.[/QUOTE]

Then say "I'm not telling you how I got it, only what I think about it" and wait for Traken or someone to delete those posts asking how you got it.

At least that way I'd get to hear about what you think about the game, which is all I'm interested in.

I fully endorse Mak's idea.

I have a review of a leaked album I was to post as a blog. Do I have to wait for street date to put it up? It doesn't reference it being leaked at all, and doesn't tell you how to obtain it.

bread's done
Back