Do we really need a Paul Bearer Memorial Thread? Ohhhhhhhhh Yeeeeessss

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='pitfallharry219']I think this is the first Wrestlemania I've ever said this about because I usually look forward to at least one match, but on paper, this WM looks like it might suck.

Sticking Ziggler in a throwaway tag match(yes, I know it's for the titles, but they're worthless now), Jericho possibly getting put in a match with Fahndahngo, Cena vs Rock again, ADR having the worst face-turn championship run ever besides maybe 2004 Orton, etc. I'll watch, but I won't pay to watch.[/QUOTE]

I'm inclined to agree... it really, really feels like they phoned this one in. The WrestleMania season is usually the one time per year that you can count on WWE to at least be interesting and watchable, but they've just... I don't know, failed entirely so far this year. The stories aren't all that interesting, the main event matches are retreads, and the undercard seems pretty goddamned bizarre. I can't honestly name one thing I'm looking forward to, and that makes me kind of sad.

As an aside, I've said it before, but I'll say it again... I really wish Taker had retired. This is the first year the 'special attraction'-ness of his schedule has really gotten to me. HBK was the tail-end of his real in-ring career, and the HHH matches were booked in a way that gave him a reason to come back. The writing this year literally just brought him back because it's WrestleMania and... why not, I guess. It just feels cheap and half-hearted. I realize that's a pretty mark-y thing to say, but I lose some respect for Taker only showing up once a year. If you're not healthy enough to even do the HBK half-year schedule, then maybe it's time to gracefully ride into the sunset, so to speak.

I always toy with the idea of going to the Pittsburgh Raws, and you know... never really disappointed with my decision to not go. Another year, another good choice. Sheesh.

Everything feels rushed or just not at the level a Wrestlemania should be.

Henry/Del Rio would have been a much better matchup than Swagger/Del Rio. Coming off what I felt was a pretty good feud with Big Show he instead gets to feud with a guy who spent the entirety of the last year (up until about 6 weeks ago) losing every single match. Don't get me wrong, I like Swagger's gimmick but they should have been kept away from eachother until the summer..whether Del Rio had the belt or not.

Henry at least feels like a legit threat and can pull off making Del Rio seem like the underdog. The crowd would eat that shit up when he finally somehow gets the win. He beats Jack Swagger...big fucking deal.

Punk/Taker seems hurt more by the stalling they had to do while waiting for Taker to decide he was going to do the match..not really Punks fault. At this point I would have rather seen the Punk/Rock/Cena triple threat and Taker have the year off. That match has more of a "Big fight feel" based on what they've done over the past year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the sentiment. I passed up on buying those WM tix from the guy who was selling them and HOF tickets for $200. Partly influenced by mild financial constraints, but if the card was holy-shit-awesome, I would have tried much harder to make it work for me, you know?

This one feels so. fucking. flat.

Yeah, I'm 40 minutes away from Giants Stadium and I have no desire to go to WM or any of the surrounding activities/shows.

[quote name='mykevermin']What did I miss? I'm watching the Flyers be awful at hockey.[/QUOTE]
Damn... I can't remember.

I saw a brief nugget of RAW and Cole took a jab at Congress not doing their jobs. It was in context with whatever action was going on, although slightly shoehorned.

The part I saw, Cole and King were acting like huge cunts on commentary. :lol: (Not just towards Congress - fuck Congress, anyway.)

[quote name='mykevermin']Welp, since WWE was terrible I suppose, let's talk about Bully Ray taunting the crowd. Was it "over the line" for him to go straight to homophobic taunts? I thought so in the past (when CM Punk did it), but for some reason not even this triggers my hypersensitive, ultra-PC (and proudly so) "that's going too far" radar.

It's Bully Ray, we're supposed to hate his fucking guts. This solidifies that. Sure, it's cheap and easy, but it's effective.

Also getting over as a heel this week: Michelle Shocked. Color me...shocked.[/QUOTE]

Serious question: Would you have felt differently if he had used the N word instead of a homophobic slur?

I agree with the feelings that WM this year looks poised to suck...a lot. Besides the fact that the Rock/Cena is a whopping rematch from one year ago, it feels like almost no effort is being put into building up the match this time. For last year's match, there was an entire year to build things up. This year they have a fraction of that time, which doesn't help with the Rock's "part-time" schedule. It still feels like robbery that Punk's title reign was ended for this...

I expect Lesnar/HHH to be awful, considering the last time they fought it was trash. It never seems like the crowd gives a shit about it either. Last night, the entire segment was completely dead.

Del Rio/Swagger doesn't do anything for me either. Speaking of dead, no one in Pittsburgh gave a crap about Del Rio. His reactions aren't very strong at all once they headed further north. It also doesn't help for me when I am supposed to hate Swagger and Coulter for mostly stating facts about illegal immigrants.

Punk/Taker is the only match that I can care about on this card, and even this match doesn't do a whole lot for me. I've been a fan of the Undertaker since I first started watching wrestling, but seeing him at WM just isn't that great anymore to me.

All in all.....yeah. This WM isn't doing much for me. It really feels like they are putting in no effort whatsoever.

On the Bully Ray thing:

If he is jawing at the guy/thing I think he is, that "person" was doing everything they could during the show to get attention. Every single time the cameras panned remotely in "it's" direction during the show it would try to ape for the camera in an attempt to get over for whatever reason. Honestly, the clown looked like someone who got their hands on a do-it-yourself sex-change kit and then had Tammy Fay Baker do it's makeup.

Does that make what was said right? Let's put this in it's truest possible perspective. Do any of us really tune in to watch wrestling for PC entertainment? I do not think so. If you do you are doing it wrong. This didn't happen on live TV or Radio. If it wasn't for modern tech the vast majority of the world would not even know this "incident" happened. I am tired of everytime something like this happens people make a rush to demand apologies, and then people caving in and giving them. Both are insincere and self serving, so why bother?

[quote name='bhk']Serious question: Would you have felt differently if he had used the N word instead of a homophobic slur?[/QUOTE]

I see and accept your point, with one unfortunate caveat: "The N word" is the holiest of holies in terms of inappropriate language. People feel horrible and guilty simply being within earshot of it being said. These same people will, with no hesitation, call things they don't like "gay," call each other "f*gs" as a tease, and so on.

So I agree that they *should be* equally vile, but in our society they are not. From Bully Ray's vantage point, I see it as cheap - it's a quick and lazy thing to say, and a solid heel ought to be faster on their feet. I simply think that someone who is an antagonist would say antagonizing things, and that this is undoubtedly an antagonizing thing.

That all said, I totally see where you're coming from. I think it harms the product to have him apologize, and I do believe he tossed out the crummy "I apologize if I offended anyone" phrase which minimizes the apology and renders it insignificant. I wish, in keeping kayfabe, Dixie tossed out an apology and did something storyline-wise with Bubba. If a dead Paul Bearer is storyline fodder, then even something as insensitive as this could be turned into a "$10,000 fine" or somesuch.

[quote name='Spyder187']I am tired of everytime something like this happens people make a rush to demand apologies, and then people caving in and giving them. Both are insincere and self serving, so why bother?[/QUOTE]

I am tired of people who live life, never experiencing the shame and the pain of a situation to a degree that they can even comprehend how this could be hurtful, who flippantly pull this "every time" crap and declare it not a big deal. It is a big deal, no matter what. My question was about whether it was fitting for Bully Ray to do, not whether or not it was offensive. It was hella offensive, unless you're born with the privilege of playing the game of life under the Easy Difficulty Setting, straight white dude.

Wes Brisco hiding behind Bully and giggling is pretty much exactly what I expect that dude to be like in real life.

Here's the other video of someone punching Bully right after that...worth watching just for Devon's strut at the beginning and then realizing nobody was actually following him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukW8nLGAoIc

Not shitting on the moment, but I'm pretty sure that fan and the fan filming were plants, and Bully calling the guy a "$$$$$$" was planned.

WWE got a lot of attention when Punk did it, which I also think was all planted. Negative attention = Attention. And Punk and Bully calling someone a $$$$$$ is also music to the ears of most wrestling fans, so it's a win/win, really. GLAD shitting on WWE or TNA wouldn't detour anyone who would be drawn to wrestling.

[quote name='bg88']I expect Lesnar/HHH to be awful, considering the last time they fought it was trash. It never seems like the crowd gives a shit about it either. Last night, the entire segment was completely dead.

Del Rio/Swagger doesn't do anything for me either. Speaking of dead, no one in Pittsburgh gave a crap about Del Rio. His reactions aren't very strong at all once they headed further north. It also doesn't help for me when I am supposed to hate Swagger and Coulter for mostly stating facts about illegal immigrants. [/QUOTE]

Lesnar and H look to have really awkward ring chemistry. Doesn't help that Lesnar appears to have forgotten how to wrassle. Just throws out moves and sees what sticks.

Saw this somewhere and I'm wondering if it's true. So... Would Del Rio have gotten over as a baby face with the kids if he didn't have Rodriguez?

[quote name='Spyder187']Do any of us really tune in to watch wrestling for PC entertainment?[/QUOTE]

I watch wrasslin for the art of wrasslin but also for the lowbrow shenanigans. Sorta crazy that we may have a generation of WWE fans who only know his modern, PG era of WWE. (I would even go so far and say that they aren't wrasslin fans, but that's just me.)

[quote name='mykevermin']Word. B12 and casein, perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Including the gelatin in stuff like Anabolic Freak and the various types of whey in Combat Powder, I think my multi (Complete Foods Multi) is the only thing that's at least vegetarian.

[quote name='Spyder187']On the Bully Ray thing:

If he is jawing at the guy/thing I think he is, that "person" was doing everything they could during the show to get attention. Every single time the cameras panned remotely in "it's" direction during the show it would try to ape for the camera in an attempt to get over for whatever reason. Honestly, the clown looked like someone who got their hands on a do-it-yourself sex-change kit and then had Tammy Fay Baker do it's makeup.

Does that make what was said right? Let's put this in it's truest possible perspective. Do any of us really tune in to watch wrestling for PC entertainment? I do not think so. If you do you are doing it wrong. This didn't happen on live TV or Radio. If it wasn't for modern tech the vast majority of the world would not even know this "incident" happened. I am tired of everytime something like this happens people make a rush to demand apologies, and then people caving in and giving them. Both are insincere and self serving, so why bother?[/QUOTE]

Well said 100% agree

[quote name='mykevermin']I see and accept your point, with one unfortunate caveat: "The N word" is the holiest of holies in terms of inappropriate language. People feel horrible and guilty simply being within earshot of it being said. These same people will, with no hesitation, call things they don't like "gay," call each other "f*gs" as a tease, and so on.

So I agree that they *should be* equally vile, but in our society they are not. From Bully Ray's vantage point, I see it as cheap - it's a quick and lazy thing to say, and a solid heel ought to be faster on their feet. I simply think that someone who is an antagonist would say antagonizing things, and that this is undoubtedly an antagonizing thing.

That all said, I totally see where you're coming from. I think it harms the product to have him apologize, and I do believe he tossed out the crummy "I apologize if I offended anyone" phrase which minimizes the apology and renders it insignificant. I wish, in keeping kayfabe, Dixie tossed out an apology and did something storyline-wise with Bubba. If a dead Paul Bearer is storyline fodder, then even something as insensitive as this could be turned into a "$10,000 fine" or somesuch.

I am tired of people who live life, never experiencing the shame and the pain of a situation to a degree that they can even comprehend how this could be hurtful, who flippantly pull this "every time" crap and declare it not a big deal. It is a big deal, no matter what. My question was about whether it was fitting for Bully Ray to do, not whether or not it was offensive. It was hella offensive, unless you're born with the privilege of playing the game of life under the Easy Difficulty Setting, straight white dude.[/QUOTE]

You really have no clue do you. You are years and years out of date with your repetitive misguided nonsense.

Anyway on the actual point of whether it is offensive. Of course it's offensive to a few people, what isn't? But it's only offensive to many more because they've been brainwashed into thinking it's offensive.

Nobody really cares that he said it, and nobody really cares about his insincere apology. But a big fuss is made because certain people think certain people should care.

:) I don't want WWE to be PC

Speaking of wrasslin I finally just finished watching this last week's Impact Wrasslin off of my DirecTV Genie. Show was pretty decent tho there was a few segments that felt like filler (especially the whole Robbie E/Rob Terry stuff). Sting vs Aries was actually enjoyable as well. Sting seemed actually inspired for once instead of going through the motions. Joseph Park is probably the best gimmick in wrestling right now. I'll watch the show tomorrow night for sure.

[quote name='granturismo']can you please stop saying wrasslin, it's really annoying.[/QUOTE]

Can you please stop posting in the Wrasslin Thread? It's really annoying.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Sting seemed actually inspired for once instead of going through the motions.[/quote]
I think he's just getting old, but you're right: The hot Chicago crowd must have been giving the Stinger some juice.
[quote name='Demolition Man']Joseph Park is probably the best gimmick in wrestling right now.[/QUOTE]
Yep. His range as a performer, in general, is quite staggering.

A clever way to add longevity to Abyss. Imagine how loud the crowd will pop when The Monster makes his return. (I'd love to see him in Aces attire!)

Kudos to Abyss / Park.

I have to admit I'm really glad they found him something to do/be that doesn't involve him getting sliced to bits every PPV in front of a largely apathetic crowd.

TNA taped their Hardcore Justice 2 PPV. The one result I read that really stood out to me was
Aces & 8s
jobbing to a team that included
Hardcore fuckin' Holly
. Really?

[quote name='mykevermin']I have to admit I'm really glad they found him something to do/be that doesn't involve him getting sliced to bits every PPV in front of a largely apathetic crowd.[/QUOTE]

^ This.

While I was kind of annoyed by the character at first, it's slowly getting better (which I guess has to do with him getting more comfortable with the role, as well) .. but yeah, definitely can't wait to see the pop he gets when Abyss finally "returns". Hopefully they do it at a hot crowd like Chicago or even Philly (as much as I hate Philly), otherwise it would just be a waste.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']TNA taped their Hardcore Justice 2 PPV. The one result I read that really stood out to me was
Aces & 8s
Hardcore fuckin' Holly
. Really?[/QUOTE]

Part of me hopes that we see
Matt Hardy team with Jeff for "one more match" with Team 3D
considering what was the main event of the PPV and all.

[quote name='mykevermin']I have to admit I'm really glad they found him something to do/be that doesn't involve him getting sliced to bits every PPV in front of a largely apathetic crowd.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. Up until a few years ago he was giving Flair a run for his money with the amount of bleeding he was doing in every match. I still cringe a little when I see this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_BzAx5kEjU

On a lighter note, Here's Botchamanai 228: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAtBA98xLk0

[quote name='mykevermin']I see and accept your point, with one unfortunate caveat: "The N word" is the holiest of holies in terms of inappropriate language. People feel horrible and guilty simply being within earshot of it being said. These same people will, with no hesitation, call things they don't like "gay," call each other "f*gs" as a tease, and so on.

[/QUOTE]

Point taken. Thanks for the thoughtful response :)

[quote name='pitfallharry219']TNA taped their Hardcore Justice 2 PPV. The one result I read that really stood out to me was
Aces & 8s
Hardcore fuckin' Holly
. Really?[/QUOTE]
Hardcore Justice 1 sucked balls, so I'm shocked to see they someone topped the first one's shittiness.

Reading the results of Hardcore Justice 2. Surprising to see a lot of talent that aren't a part of weekly television. Surprising in a good way. Call me crazy but it looks like a fun card.

Last night, I made my way through the March 16th ROH show. That ACH guy is really good at what he does. And I was wrong about Tadarius Thomas. Guy is pretty good in the ring, tho his name is tedious.

Perhaps some of those surprises are necessary. A bit of the "wow, I wonder if he's still got it?" factor.

If it's just tag teams on every week, why bother ordering the PPV?

From the "please let it be true" department:

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that Triple H has pushed for the elimination of lengthy scripts for promos – and for the wrestlers to given general bullet points instead.

This is supposed to focus on developmental dudes, so I don't think we'll see any immediate or even medium-term changes. But man alive, most promos today are godawful. Scripts mean no more organic "Austin 3:16" moments. WWE needs to return to that.

Heh...Hernandez makes a big improvement by dressing like a wrestler again but then he attempts to get one of those tattoos where the skin is tearing away to reveal a Superman logo. Only problem is that the tattoo is way too low on his torso because he already had the text across his chest.

About Myke's post: That's a damn good thing - to me it's always seemed like Wade Barrett is the only FCW/NXT product who seems even remotely natural on the microphone.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Picked up the Undertaker 20-0 blu-ray. Anybody seen it yet or care to comment on it?[/QUOTE]

600full-blue-streak-poster.jpg

[quote name='diddy310']About Myke's post: That's a damn good thing - to me it's always seemed like Wade Barrett is the only FCW/NXT product who seems even remotely natural on the microphone.[/QUOTE]

I remember Barrett being gold on FCW commentary.

Sorta wondering what'll happen when they let the kids do things for themselves. Sink or swim time. But surely this will mean that Cena will ramble less, right? Takes that dude 20 minutes to do a 5 minute promo.

Also wondering if Sheamus will still speak like a five-year-old.

[quote name='Chase']I remember Barrett being gold on FCW commentary.

Sorta wondering what'll happen when they let the kids do things for themselves. Sink or swim time. But surely this will mean that Cena will ramble less, right? Takes that dude 20 minutes to do a 5 minute promo.

Also wondering if Sheamus will still speak like a five-year-old.[/QUOTE]

Anything to change the landscape. Every time I see Del Rio now, all I can think of is him telling Sandow his breathe "smells like ca-ca".

Maybe we'll see manager mouthpieces show up a bit more to make up for those guys that can't handle the old fashioned bulletpoints on a 3x5 card style of speaking.

[quote name='mykevermin']From the "please let it be true" department:

This is supposed to focus on developmental dudes, so I don't think we'll see any immediate or even medium-term changes. But man alive, most promos today are godawful. Scripts mean no more organic "Austin 3:16" moments. WWE needs to return to that.[/QUOTE]

Let Ziggler cut promos the way he did back on Ryder's show (and let him get some goddamn wins under his belt), and watch how fast he gets over.

Colt Cabana had Hillbilly Jim on his podcast this week. I really enjoyed it, it was nice hearing from a veteran that isn't filled with bile and bitterness. He's 60 but you could never tell it by listening to him, he sounds like a kid with his excitement and energy. Give it a listen.

http://tsmradio.com/coltcabana/

[quote name='tangytangerine']So El Generico's NXT name is apparently "Sammy Sane" ... wtf?[/QUOTE]

So laaame. So lame, so lame, so laaame. So laaame. So laaame...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back