Do we really need a Paul Bearer Memorial Thread? Ohhhhhhhhh Yeeeeessss

Status
Not open for further replies.
pitfallharry watches Impact, I believe.

TNA is my primary source of wrestling. I've never been a WWE fan, and I'm one of those wrestling fans that stopped watching once WCW folded, so I'm not actively involved in an abusive relationship with WWE, where they dangle promising angles in front of my face, only to snatch 'em away and shove more Cena down my throat - I think WWE sucks, sucked and, as a publicly traded company, will continue sucking.
-

Petey Williams was awesome on the mic near the end of his last TNA run. While the "Little Petey Pump" gimmick was a tad on the retarded side, he did a good job with it.

Can't wait to see how he'll fit in now.

Next week's Gut Check match features "Scrap Iron" Adam Pearce. We're one step closer to Colt Cabana joining TNA.

Reid Flair has died. I don't quite know what to say about this. I mean, i remember the kid doing his stuff back towards the end of WcW in angles between Ric and Vince Russo. I know WWE had looked at possibly taking him into some sort of developmental deal, maybe as a favor to Ric, but nothing panned from it. He was only 24 I think the article said. Definitely not the Flair I would have expected to read about being dead at this date and time, especially with Ric having that blood clot issue in his leg lately.

All I can say is damn, I really feel for Ric Flair right now. That man can not win for losing since pretty much the year 2000. As a parent I can not even fathom how he must feel right now.

Sort of OT, but I'm glad I finally found this thread. It's good to have somewhere else to discuss shows than EWN.

Speaking of returns
John Laurenitis is coming back on Smackdown tonight to seemingly start an angle with John Cena. People are using that to add more fuel to the idea of an upcoming Cena heel turn.

I was just wondering what happened to Reid the other day. Very sad. RIP.

Just finished watching last weeks and this weeks Impact. Buh Buh's explanation on things that lead to his reveal was very well done last week. It really tied everything together and actually made it feel like TNA actually booked all these little pieces that lead to this. Wrestling wise both shows were decent. I still feel that ROH has better wrestling compared to TNA on their weekly shows but TNA has improved a good amount in the past year.

When Nelson Scott Simpson first broke into the wrestling business in 1984, he was told that his new character was going to be named "The Russian Nightmare" Nikita Koloff, because by the mid-'80s hating Russians was at a career-making high. Since Simpson had very little wrestling training to speak of, he decided to overcompensate by completely immersing himself in his character, including legally changing his name. Sort of like if Dolph Lundgren actually changed his name to Ivan Drago and actively tried to kill Carl Weathers whenever he spotted him at social events.

So, Simpson legally changed his name to Nikita Koloff, actually learned to speak Russian and pretty much refused to say more than 11 words of Boris Badenov-strangled English in any situation. That's right -- for an entire year he didn't speak anything but Russian, because he wanted wrestling fans to believe that he was a newly arrived Russian immigrant still getting a handle on how to sputter out enough English to earn a chorus of boos.

So, to be clear, he was pretending to be fluent in a language he was still learning, while pretending to be learning a language in which he was fluent.

He didn't drop the act once the cameras were off, either -- Simpson refused to speak English in public under any circumstance, not even in his normal day-to-day life. Instead, he had someone pretend to act as his interpreter for anything that required him to interact with other people, including renting his damned apartment.

As American-Soviet relations improved, Nikita Koloff actually became a beloved good guy by the end of the 1980s. But Simpson still never broke character, right up until his retirement in 1992. By that time, Simpson was so immersed in Nikita Koloff that he didn't stop speaking with a Russian accent for two more years, and even had his own birthplace listed as Lithuania on his child's birth certificate.
Daniel Day-Lewis is a rank amateur compared to Koloff.

Poor Ric Flair. I don't have any kids yet, but outliving your children is the most unnatural thing ever.

EDIT - but that story about Nikita Koloff living his gimmick was awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='neocisco']Demo watches it, I watch it, Brak watches it (read the post directly above yours), mitch079 has been watching it, most likely there are some others that watch it.[/QUOTE]

*raises hand*

I watch what ever episode clips TNA uploads to YouTube, which is usually enough to know what's going on, and have been downloading their PPVs to watch at a later time. And I watch the week delay episode every week for ROH.

I fell away from WWE, don't even watch their clips anymore. Blew my mind that WrestleMania is weeks(?) days(?) away. Someone in here said it right: WWE got lazy with this year's WrestleMania.

Edit: And oh my god I feel so sorry for the Flair family. That is horrible.

I've been watching TNA every week since Hogan's first appearance. Probably wouldn't have even tuned in if it wasn't for that. Not that I'm a big Hogan fan but he is (was) a big name so I just wanted to see what was going to happen with him. Kinda got into it after that. I enjoy the wrestling and they've had some pretty good angles. Their knockouts aren't bad to look at either! Had stopped watching WWE several years before. I'll tune into the E on occasion but I haven't watched a full episode since 2002 or so.

Anyhoo...went to see GI Joe today with my son. We're waiting in the ticket line and I see some older guy...probably mid 40ish wearing full-on Cena gear. My son and I were cracking up. A grown man in a green Cena shirt, head band, and wrist bands. I can forgive the jean shorts....they're still worn quite a bit down here in the south. We were definitely cracking up and thinking this guy thinks he looks cool! LOL

I'll raise my hand as another person who is watching TNA regularly. I will also say that I regularly have found Impact to be more entertaining than Raw (don't even need to mention Smackdown) and flat out better for a while now. I could create a huge list of all the areas where I feel TNA is better than WWE right now.

I'm pretty stoked about Impact coming to Peoria, IL in June.

I'll chime in and say I also watch TNA every week. Granted, I fast forward through most of the episode but I still keep up with it.

My rasslin' watching consists very nearly exclusively of old DVDs/Blus. If something exciting happens on either TNA or WWE, I'll watch the clip on Youtube but I don't think I can correctly list the champs in either company beyond the World titles. Lemme try...

TNA - Bully Ray
WWE World - um... the Rock?
WWE Heavyweight - shit. ADR?

Antonio Cesaro and Dolph Ziggler are among the best reasons to watch WWE at all right now.

I'm not huge into TNA, but Bully Ray is a great heel (and not a cool heel, to his credit), they have solid matches, and I want to see the company succeed.

[quote name='mykevermin']Antonio Cesaro and Dolph Ziggler are among the best reasons to watch WWE at all right now.

I'm not huge into TNA, but Bully Ray is a great heel (and not a cool heel, to his credit), they have solid matches, and I want to see the company succeed.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Though I hate the yodeling angle that Cesaro is starting....

I tried getting into TNA. The Lockdown main event was good, but the last Impact just seemed to go on and on.

[quote name='mitch079']The 2 4.99 SummerSlam Anthology sets I ordered shipped. Thanks to TheRock88 for posting them.[/QUOTE]

NP, glad to see another person was able to score em. My order just shipped yesterday too.

---

10 years ago today was Austin's last ever match in the ring (at WM 19 versus The Rock). Doesnt even feel that long ago, damn does time fly by.

I loved the end to that match. It seemed odd at the time with Rock literally giving him his finisher over and over, but with the later-revealed fact that he knew it was his last match, it seems perfect to me. Despite being minutes away from calling it quits and finally being able to relax, he was not going to let you pin him until you absolutely destroyed him.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I loved the end to that match. It seemed odd at the time with Rock literally giving him his finisher over and over, but with the later-revealed fact that he knew it was his last match, it seems perfect to me. Despite being minutes away from calling it quits and finally being able to relax, he was not going to let you pin him until you absolutely destroyed him.[/QUOTE]

I had the honor of seeing that match live, it was quite the experience.

I can't brag too much about it, I DID have to suffer through Limp Bizkit and an awful, terribly booked Undertaker handicap match involving Big Show and A-Train. Nathan Jones showed up and whiffed a kick terribly and nobody seemed to care.

19 was a pretty good Wrestlemania. HBK/Jericho, Angle/Lesnar, Rock/Austin. It also had Lance Storm's first and only scheduled Wrestlemania match pushed to Sunday Night Heat to make room for the Miller Lite catfight girls.

Ha, I didn't even realize Mason Andrews was Harold from the Anger Management sketches WWE did with Kane and DB:

292246_529566813749044_1348222541_n.jpg

An early candidate for Facepalm of the Year: #-o

EXTREME RISING DEMANDS RETURN OF TITLE BELT FROM STEVIE RICHARDS OVER VIDEOGAME...YES, REALLY
By Mike Johnson on 2013-03-30 18:17:23
In what will go down as one of the strangest stories I can ever remember writing about, Extreme Rising emailed current champion Stevie Richards today, demanding he return their title belt (which he has kept since winning and has taken overseas and to independent shows to defend as a way to raise the profile of the promotion) or else...because of Richards said he would defend the belt via a videogame.

Yes, really.

So, let's start at the beginning.

Over the course of the weekend, Richards and former ECW star Danny Doring, who are close friends, were writing each other back and forth via Twitter and Facebook.

Richards, a videogame and technology aficionado, posted a photo of the Rising belt and his copy of the latest Madden videogame on his Twitter account, jokingly offering to defend his belt via the game online since he lost his bookings over Wrestlemania weekend.

Doring then posted a photo of the old ECW World Tag Team belt (which has been in his possession since the company closed in 2001) on his Twitter account and responded that he would put up that belt as well, joking it would be "defunct promotion vs. defunct promotion."

Shortly after, Richards received an email from the promotion, upset over the two friends "blowing off steam online", as Richards termed it, demanding the return of the belt by the end of this week, noting they were "disappointed" over the description of the promotion as defunct.

Richards noted that what really upset him the most was that the promotion "doubted his ability as a Madden player." He noted that Rising was upset over something that "20 people saw on Twitter" and said he's tried to help the company by carrying their belt and was amazed they saw the comments as anything more than two people goofing off online.

He also noted that it was silly no one just called him, especially since he hasn't had any communication with anyone at Rising beyond a text announcing the cancellation of the Wrestlemania weekend shows.

One Extreme Rising official noted they were upset over the promotion being described as "defunct", which is something Doring, not Richards, wrote.

Despite the threat, Doring and Richards intend to play the game after all and Richards is looking for a way for the game to be streamed online for whoever cares to watch it. The two intend to build up their "new rivalry" online. Stay tuned to their Twitter accounts (linked above) for more.

PWInsider.com left word for Extreme Rising's Steve O'Neil and should there be any official statement, we will post it, although in my opinion, the entire thing is really silly...unless you really love your Madden.

[quote name='mitch079']Ha, I didn't even realize Mason Andrews was Harold from the Anger Management sketches WWE did with Kane and DB:

292246_529566813749044_1348222541_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Also wrestled for WSX and PWG as Scorpio Sky.

A little late to the TNA party, but I watched it all last summer all the way to Bound for Glory. It wasn't too bad, but i started becoming disinterested when the stalled out Aces & 8's angle, coupled with Hardy getting shoved down my throat.

Good on them for finally putting the strap on Bully and for actually giving some meaning to the whole drawn out A&8's angle. Maybe I'll start catching up on TNA now that it seems like its actually going somewhere.

Its kinda funny, I was so hyped that WM was going to be I Jersey and I was so hellbent on going. Now I getting bribed with free booze just to watch it for free with a buddy. The only match I give a Damn about is Swagger Vs ADR and even that's just passing, since ADR is actually annoying to me as a cheap Eddie G. knockoff. Its like we're getting Angle Vs Guerraro II - only ten years later and with terrible made-for-TV / DVD actors filling in the roles of actual talent.

[quote name='mitch079']An early candidate for Facepalm of the Year: #-o[/QUOTE]

Way back in like 1997, I wished Stevie good luck on an upcoming neck surgery that he was about to get. He emailed me back to thank me. He pretty much scored a fan for life there.

Plus he made himself in Firepro S and posted it on his old Geocities-style webpage so yeah, he's pretty awesome.

[quote name='mykevermin']Antonio Cesaro and Dolph Ziggler are among the best reasons to watch WWE at all right now.

I'm not huge into TNA, but Bully Ray is a great heel (and not a cool heel, to his credit), they have solid matches, and I want to see the company succeed.[/QUOTE]

I enjoy Dolph and Cesaros work, but everytime I tune into Raw they're getting jobbed out.

[quote name='TheRock88']NP, glad to see another person was able to score em. My order just shipped yesterday too.

---

10 years ago today was Austin's last ever match in the ring (at WM 19 versus The Rock). Doesnt even feel that long ago, damn does time fly by.[/QUOTE]
It seems like Austin had a pretty short career over all. I mean back then it seemed like he'd been around forever, but when the guy is constantly on the air, it tends to feel that way. Looking back he really wasn't active for all that long. Both he and Rock seemed to know when to get out, probably a good thing.

[quote name='Halo05']Way back in like 1997, I wished Stevie good luck on an upcoming neck surgery that he was about to get. He emailed me back to thank me. He pretty much scored a fan for life there.

Plus he made himself in Firepro S and posted it on his old Geocities-style webpage so yeah, he's pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

I remember talking about Fire Pro Six Man Scramble on Saturn with Stevie Richards on GS Wrestling on old school Aol 2.0 or whatever it was back in 96/97. I think his screen name was IamStevie.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/ROH/article10030575.shtml

Former WWE, and current ROH, star Charlie Haas announced his retirement from wrestling on Saturday before a match with Jeff Louis Neal at the ROH show in Asheville, NC. Haas came to the ring to start the second half of the show, and cut a long, and sometimes rambling, promo about his history in wrestling and having done enough. He wrestled the match, and then stayed in the ring after the match and drew cheers from the crowd. Someone on the ROH staff waved him to come to the back twice, and Haas flipped him off both times. He asked for a mic but was not given one after the match, so he cut a similar promo by just yelling it into the crowd.

During both promos, he called out ROH booker Delirious (a/k/a Hunter Johnston) and ROH commentator Kevin Kelly, specifically referring to Kelly as a "fat piece of shit," for "all the things they say" about him. Haas was visibly shaken and cried during the entire match and later in the locker room. He changed and packed quickly, leaving the building in an agitated state.

Haas later went on to tweet: "Officially retired. No match against [Shelton Benjamin] next week NYC. Time to be a full time dad and husband. I've turned my spandex in for scrubs. Thanks to all the fans throughout the years. I love you all. Stay safe and God bless. WGTT will always be a top Tag Team, forever."

Shore's Slant: Haas appeared to be intoxicated and was heard having words with several people backstage during the final match before intermission, including Delirious and Kelly, which may explain why he took shots at them specifically. The situation was addressed in a post-show meeting with the locker room, and all signs point to this being Haas's unexpected last night.

ROH isn't even acknowledging the match or the anything involving Haas from last night in their post show recap video. Makes me wonder now if they'll even have Shelton Benjamin fly in for the IPPV this Friday or if they'll end up finding someone else for Benjamin to wrestle against. Or if this is some kind of elaborate work by ROH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMJnJaCftM4

[quote name='pimpster4183']I remember talking about Fire Pro Six Man Scramble on Saturn with Stevie Richards on GS Wrestling on old school Aol 2.0 or whatever it was back in 96/97. I think his screen name was IamStevie.[/QUOTE]

Ah fire pro...so great.

[quote name='Demolition Man']http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/ROH/article10030575.shtml

ROH isn't even acknowledging the match or the anything involving Haas from last night in their post show recap video. Makes me wonder now if they'll even have Shelton Benjamin fly in for the IPPV this Friday or if they'll end up finding someone else for Benjamin to wrestle against. Or if this is some kind of elaborate work by ROH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMJnJaCftM4[/QUOTE]

I've never orderd an online PPV like that before. I'm wanting to order the ROH one on Friday though. Does anyone know if the PS3 web browser can stream it? Or will I need to hook a computer up to my TV instead. Also is the quality pretty good?

So, holy shit, I only just realized that WM29 is this Sunday. I'm going to be real curious to keep an eye on the weather, since as of now it doesn't seem like it's going to be cracking much higher than 60 that day. I realize it's a dick thing to say, but I'm almost disappointed the cold and snow isn't going to continue... an open-air WM in the NE at the beginning of April is just tempting fate. I'm guessing it's going to be slightly unpleasant for the performers once the sun sets.

Holding WM in an open air arena in early April anywhere in the US seems like tempting fate. There's a reason the Super Bowl, with people dropping 4 figure sums easily to attend, is usually held in a domed stadium or in a warm weather region. With that said, waiting to see how the Super Bowl at New Meadowlands turns out.

I can see Undertaker facing CM Punk this year as "Deadman Inc." It makes sense, Punk stole the urn, which biker-taker never needed/used. His hair is already short and the feud needs a kick in the pants. It'd be a nice change of pace for Taker as well, in my opinion.

I know Vince HATES the Deadman Inc. character but I'm pretty sure Taker can get away with just about anything these days.

I wonder if they're aware that Deadman Inc. is the name of a prison gang. Or maybe that's where the gang name came from.

Honestly, a Cena heel turn might not be a terrible idea just to redeem this Mania. Everything so far is pointing to a really mediocre show, but a Cena turn would overshadow anything negative from the previous 4 hours. WM29 would basically forever be the event where Cena turned. It's not a terrible idea.

I just can't believe that I'm sitting here less than a week before WrestleMania and I'm not even sure I'm going to watch it. It won't cost me anything, I just have to drive the 30 minutes to a friend's place. Yet, here I am thinking that it's not even worth that. I realize I'm negative about WWE more often than not, but seriously... WWE has fucked up this WM build beyond belief. Period.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']To me, WWE is at the lowest point they've been at since probably '93-'96.[/QUOTE]

I would say lower. At least in 93-96 you still had some great wrestling matches. And I would rather watch a bunch of job gimmicks like evil mail man than some random name generated Thedius JoHanson.

This will be the first WrestleMania since I started watching wrestling that I have zero interest in. I may not even dl it the day after. What a shame.

I'll stream it, but I agree with not being excited for this event at all.

Rock/Cena 2 does nothing for me. Its hard for me to buy Cena's worst year ever when one he defeated Brock Lesnar either a PPV or two after WM and still won MITB and the Rumble, not bad for a "worst year ever." I wish after the really good Cena/Punk match on Raw a few weeks ago that was the main event of WM. HHH/Lesnar was boring the first time, Taker/Punk seems flat and honestly, Swagger vs Del Rio does nothing for me, maybe because Swagger is very boring and the managers for both guys are more interesting than the talent.

Outside of Ryback vs Henry in a good old fashioned big man fight and seeing the Shield vs Show, Orton and Sheamus and hoping for a long overdue Orton turn, this card seems blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back