Dodonpachi Resurrection (360) REGION FREE PAL Import £27.35 shipped (or less)

kurtori

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere so thought I'd start a thread for it. The Cave shmup known in Japan as "Dodonpachi Dai Fukkatsu" is getting a Western release in Europe only, to be published by Rising Star Games. The game will be a PAL release and include a CD soundtrack for at least the first shipments. The game will be region-free for North American Xbox 360 systems but will NOT play on Japanese Xbox 360 systems.

Check out the trailer here: http://youtu.be/xkZ8grT5Jr0

Release date is 11/4/11.
The retail price will be £29.99, but the best price I've found so far is £24.85 + shipping at ShopTo.net. I've listed all the places I've found pre-selling it below. If you don't want to bother with importing, you can pre-order from NCS in New York for a marked-up price:

ShopTo.Net ** Best Price ** - £24.85 + £2.50 standard airmail to USA (or £5.50 registered airmail to USA)

http://www.shopto.net/XBOX%20360/VIDEO%20GAMES/XB2DO01-Dodonpachi%20Resurrection%20Deluxe%20Edition.html

HMV.com - £29.99 + £4.50 standard airmail to USA
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=300822

Amazon.de (Germany) - 27.99 EUR + shipping (see site for shipping options)
http://www.amazon.de/Rising-Star-DoDonPachi-Resurrection-Edition/dp/B005GYKC6M

NCSX.com (in USA) - $65.90 + shipping (see site for shipping options)

http://www.shopncsx.com/ddpresurrection.aspx

Amazon.co.uk - £26.99 - DOES NOT SHIP TO USA
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dodonpachi-Resurrection-Deluxe-Xbox-360/dp/B005F1YCLM/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chimpmeister']The other weird thing is that, after setting an account up, if you click the "preorder" button for this game, a quick message appears to say the item is preordered, but then you're back to the same screen. You then have to look at your account/preorders to see it . . . I accidentally had two preordered, so I had to cancel one. [/QUOTE]

I finally got registered today. Had to confirm with my credit card company that the test transaction they do was a legit charge. Except I ran into the same preorder issue you did, now I'm stuck with 2. How did you cancel yours? I've clicked the Cancel button at least 5 times and it does not work. (Using Firefox, so it's not an IE issue.)

Their site is utter turdnuggets, but the price is good. That's the only reason I'm still putting up with this nonsense.

*sigh* Never mind, I got it. There's a cancel screen that comes up sometimes but not frequently when you click the "Cancel" button.

There's also a little box where you can give a reason why you canceled. I explained all of this, including the bit about their site being "utter turdnuggets" and suggested they fire whoever designed it. Now I feels better.

I'm new to this series. I don't understand why this can be released on an IPad/IPhone and not on the U.S. Xbox 360 marketplace?

I want this, but suck at these games and have Deathsmiles/Raiden IV/Raiden Fighters Aces in my backlog.

Might order this along with a handful of other Europe only titles.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I'm new to this series. I don't understand why this can be released on an IPad/IPhone and not on the U.S. Xbox 360 marketplace?

I want this, but suck at these games and have Deathsmiles/Raiden IV/Raiden Fighters Aces in my backlog.

Might order this along with a handful of other Europe only titles.[/QUOTE]

For one thing iphone games dont need ESRB rating

Hi

Thank you for your interest in DoDonPachi Resurrection.

There won't be any in-game differences between the English and German versions - the game is English only. The back-of-box text, user guide and other paper parts in the German product will be in German.

It will be playable on European and North American consoles but not Japanese consoles.

As a further note, the two DLC will be available from the European Marketplace and playable on the US console but they will not be available on the USA's Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Apparently there are workarounds for this on the Internet...

May I ask why it is easier for you to order from Amazon.de than, say, Amazon.co.uk? I have received a few queries about this.

Thanks and regards

I've already e-mailed them back to let them know Amazon.co.uk won't ship to the United States. Hope the information about the differences between regions is helpful to some of you.

[quote name='sykotek']I've already e-mailed them back to let them know Amazon.co.uk won't ship to the United States. Hope the information about the differences between regions is helpful to some of you.[/QUOTE]

Yes, thank you for contacting them directly. I figured that was the case and I'll be keeping my order with Amazon.de.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']
Might order this along with a handful of other Europe only titles.[/QUOTE]

What are some other good Europe-only releases? Any 2D shooters, RPGs, traditional adventure games?

[quote name='RollingSkull']Already have the SUPERIOR Iphone version so who needs the console version[/QUOTE]

I played it on the iPad and was less than impressed with the response of the controls. I found myself having to recenter the controls on a regular basis while in the middle of some heavy firefights. As much as I love shooters I uninstalled the game after a couple of plays. It's probably more an issue with the hardware than the software itself. As far as shmups go, I'll take a controller over touch controls any day of the week.

That ShopTo site is beyond garbage. It keeps rejecting my card and when the card finally goes through, it tells me I don't have an account?

I wrestled with this site for 30 minutes before giving up -- NCSX is more expensive but I'm through dealing with this. It took me under two minutes to get in and out with NCSX compared to the nightmare that is ShopTo. If their site is that horrible to navigate, I don't want to deal with the rest of it.

At this point, I'll pay extra for ease of use and piece of mind because NCSX has always been good to me over the years.

In all honesty, I just remembered why I'm not big on DDP Resurrection. To get to the hidden extra loop, you have to memorize all the stupid bug locations. Not clever.

But yeah, that and holy crap this genre is bloated as hell I have tons of these.

[quote name='Thrinn']I played it on the iPad and was less than impressed with the response of the controls. I found myself having to recenter the controls on a regular basis while in the middle of some heavy firefights. As much as I love shooters I uninstalled the game after a couple of plays. It's probably more an issue with the hardware than the software itself. As far as shmups go, I'll take a controller over touch controls any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

Re-center? You're joking. The controls are pitch perfect, much better than the control sticks.

You're not supposed to keep your finger on your ship. You just drop it on the field and move it as an analog. This lets you see your hitbox and maneuver with a surgeon's precision.

I've 1cced deathsmiles on the touch screen and not on the console, and there's not a huge difference between the two pattern-wise. The auto-bomb there is the biggest help.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Re-center? You're joking. The controls are pitch perfect, much better than the control sticks.

You're not supposed to keep your finger on your ship. You just drop it on the field and move it as an analog. This lets you see your hitbox and maneuver with a surgeon's precision.

I've 1cced deathsmiles on the touch screen and not on the console, and there's not a huge difference between the two pattern-wise. The auto-bomb there is the biggest help.[/QUOTE]I wasn't joking. I had played the game exactly as you suggested and had the ship move at roughly 95% of the speed that my finger moved. After darting back and forth between bullets I had to recalibrate the location of my finger in relation to the location of the ship. It didn't break the game by any means, but it was annoying.

There's no denying that analog controls offer superior control, but I have to stop and ask if they offer enough of an edge over a D-pad when it comes to shmups to actually matter. There doesn't seem to be lack of players who 1cc Deathsmiles on console while being hobbled by the restraints of digital controls. For some reason when Cave re-released Guwange on the 360 they didn't think highly enough of analog controls to implement true analog support into the game. They just mapped the analog stick to digital controls. Had they had the choice, I'd be willing to bet that the iOS versions would also offer digital controls.

Depending on auto-bomb seemed like the equivalent of bumping the difficulty down a couple notches or playing with extra lives. Auto-bombs are just one less way for the player to interact with the game.

There's no need for your finger to be in any spot RELATIVE to the location of the ship. You can move the ship from any position. The default movement ratio is something like 1.5:1 (Or was it SIIG that allowed you to choose? Don't remember.) simply because it's not the finger position that matters, it's the movement you make with it.

Just with the fine grain of movement allowed by this sort of control is lovely. And yes it does make the game vastly different than playing it with digital controls. The advantage is substantial enough to make it a markedly different game. An analog stick couldn't match the level of precision on offer here.

Most other shumps do have the choice. There were quite a few that offered touchpad digital control before the SIIG and Cave style games made the non 1:1 movement a hit.

Shumps are not often sophisticated games. Auto-bomb removing the player's interaction doesn't actually subtract that much value (Although if memory serves Autobomb is a feature built in to the original version of DDP Resurrection). Yes, it does make the experience easier because it ensures that they are not wasted. Bomb button nonsense adds very little to shump gameplay. Auto-bomb might not be the best way to fix it, but it's less irritating overall.

[quote name='RollingSkull']There's no need for your finger to be in any spot RELATIVE to the location of the ship. You can move the ship from any position. The default movement ratio is something like 1.5:1 (Or was it SIIG that allowed you to choose? Don't remember.) simply because it's not the finger position that matters, it's the movement you make with it.[/quote]The location of your figure in relation to the ship becomes an issue as the center point of control drifts closer and closer to the edge of the screen, restricting the range of movement. Again, this is not a deal breaker but rather an unfortunate result of the nature of touch controls.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Shumps are not often sophisticated games. Auto-bomb removing the player's interaction doesn't actually subtract that much value (Although if memory serves Autobomb is a feature built in to the original version of DDP Resurrection). Yes, it does make the experience easier because it ensures that they are not wasted. Bomb button nonsense adds very little to shump gameplay. Auto-bomb might not be the best way to fix it, but it's less irritating overall.[/QUOTE]

Typically a player has three means of input in the Donpachi series: moving, shooting, and dropping bombs. When auto-bombs automate 1/3 of the the player's interaction That seems to be anything but trivial. You could also argue that the game also removes the need to shoot (however simple an aspect of the game that may be). You're left with on movement at your command. At that point you might as well just be playing Operation. Removing interaction in an already "unsophisticated" genre seems like a dangerous choice in game design.

As far as the debate of the role of role of bombs in shmups -- well that's getting a bit too nerdy, even for a video game forum. I'll just say I could not disagree with you more on that topic and will leave it at that. :whistle2:#

As far as the debate of the role of role of bombs in shmups -- well that's getting a bit too nerdy, even for a video game forum. I'll just say I could not disagree with you more on that topic and will leave it at that.
Likewise, though I will say your 1/3rd formulation is math of the fuzziest sort.

And I played all of Cave's shumps quite a bit on the IPHONE and I never had anything approaching the issues you did, and there one errant finger is enough to blot out a huge amount of real estate.

My only problem with the control scheme is how every Cave Iphone game's buttons are stupidly designed and pretty much require memorization. ISUD's two-tap bomb was a genius idea. Cave can't really get away with it, but needing to pick through four identical buttons whose positions/icons/text do not afford instantaneous recognition of what they do is absurd.

As much as I don't feel this thread should be used to discuss the merits of iOS vs console gaming...I can't resist chiming in just this once.

Personally, I prefer console gaming in general to iOS. Sure, Cave games are some of the best reasons to have an iOS device, but for gaming in general, having an iPod/iPhone/iPad < having a dedicated game console in my opinion. Given the choice, I'd choose dpad and button controls over the various control methods of iOS games, especially when it comes to shmups, any day.

I've played the Cave iOS releases and they just don't do it for me. I also experience the weird calibration thing when playing Cave releases on my iPod. Not that I play for long anyways, I just don't dig straining my eyes and tracing my finger around the small screen. Granted, my opinion might be drastically different if I had an iPad, but I don't.

So, anyways, I cancelled my Amazon.de order and went with HMV, it was quick and painless. I also got testimonials from others in the gaming community that they're a reputable company beforehand, so once again, thanks OP for the great find! I can't wait! It's gonna b hell this holiday season. =D

[quote name='RollingSkull']There's no need for your finger to be in any spot RELATIVE to the location of the ship. You can move the ship from any position. The default movement ratio is something like 1.5:1 (Or was it SIIG that allowed you to choose? Don't remember.) simply because it's not the finger position that matters, it's the movement you make with it.

Just with the fine grain of movement allowed by this sort of control is lovely. And yes it does make the game vastly different than playing it with digital controls. The advantage is substantial enough to make it a markedly different game. An analog stick couldn't match the level of precision on offer here.

Most other shumps do have the choice. There were quite a few that offered touchpad digital control before the SIIG and Cave style games made the non 1:1 movement a hit.

Shumps are not often sophisticated games. Auto-bomb removing the player's interaction doesn't actually subtract that much value (Although if memory serves Autobomb is a feature built in to the original version of DDP Resurrection). Yes, it does make the experience easier because it ensures that they are not wasted. Bomb button nonsense adds very little to shump gameplay. Auto-bomb might not be the best way to fix it, but it's less irritating overall.[/QUOTE]

Shumps are most certainly sophisticated games. Do you even know what scoring is?

Auto bomb is lame, but it's understandable in the easy mode Iphone versions. I just don't understand why your character moves so damn fast on these itouch versions. It really makes the games a lot easier, and they are already damn near free wins.

Comparing a cellphone version of any shmup to a console version is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe anyone would even suggest this. Play on a large screen at high resolution, with full controls, or a tiny screen with no button controls, only accelerometer or touch . . . um, I don't think so. :speaktothehand:

[quote name='chimpmeister']Comparing a cellphone version of any shmup to a console version is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe anyone would even suggest this. Play on a large screen at high resolution, with full controls, or a tiny screen with no button controls, only accelerometer or touch . . . um, I don't think so. :speaktothehand:[/QUOTE]

Despite the issues I have with the iOS version, I still have a lot of respect for what they've manage to accomplish with the port. Given the choice I'd take the console version without a second thought, but on the go the iOS version would still be a lot of fun.

Cave shmups don't lend themselves well to playing on large HD screens since their shmups typically run at a very low native resolution. The graphics must look pretty crisp on an iPhone screen.

Apparently you've rubbed off on more people than the CAG community.

They seem to really like you on the shump forums Rollingskull.

[quote name='sabin1001']So I ordered Xenoblade: Chronicles from GAME and had no issues with them. They have Dodonpachi for 24.99 pounds... http://www.game.co.uk/en/dodonpachi-resurrection-deluxe-143331.

But no one has linked them here or on shmups.com. Is there something bad I need to know about GAME?[/QUOTE]

They have become much slower to ship recently. I ordered a DS game a month ago and it just arrived today. Previously, they have never taken longer than 7-10 days to get games to me. Apparently others have had similar issues lately with them. So, they're probably still ok if you don't mind a long wait.

[quote name='Relysis']Thanks, got it from dvd.co.uk for £21.28 after vat and shipping to US, no coupons.[/QUOTE]

I currently have mine from base.com for the same amount. Anyone know if buying from them is a good/bad idea?

[quote name='Zurcamos']I currently have mine from base.com for the same amount. Anyone know if buying from them is a good/bad idea?[/QUOTE]

How did you guys get that price? Both sites are showing up £23.99 for me.

[quote name='kitlink']dvd.co.uk now has it listed for 24.99.[/QUOTE]

Tempting, but after all the trouble I went through with ShopTo I think I'll just leave it alone.

Showing up for me as £23.99, but once you check out the price changes to £19.99 + £1.29 shipping. Total £21.28 shipped. Seems to be the best deal so far :) Thanks!

Anyone know what they mean by this phrase in the description of the product at dvd.co.uk:

Revered Black Label mode and enhanced Version 1.51 will be available as paid for DLC

Does this mean the game will contain vouchers for these extras? And if so, will the vouchers work on U.S. XBL? I thought all the extras were on disc . . .

[quote name='POMusashi']Showing up for me as £23.99, but once you check out the price changes to £19.99 + £1.29 shipping. Total £21.28 shipped. Seems to be the best deal so far :) Thanks![/QUOTE]

Awesome, came out to £21.28 for me as well - thanks! :D

So that would work out to $29.59 (£21.28). Hmm. I'm considering it.... Actually I guess you get charged when it ships, so exchange rate could change between now and then and the Euro isn't exactly on a winning streak. Or would the Euro getting worse make the deal better? I'm confused. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']So that would work out to $29.59 (£21.28). Hmm. I'm considering it.... Actually I guess you get charged when it ships, so exchange rate could change between now and then and the Euro isn't exactly on a winning streak. Or would the Euro getting worse make the deal better? I'm confused. :)[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but when I got a refund from The Hut because of botched shipping, I made 11 cents because of newer exchange rate. I'm going to take that 11 cents to Atlantic City and let it ride.

[quote name='POMusashi']Showing up for me as £23.99, but once you check out the price changes to £19.99 + £1.29 shipping. Total £21.28 shipped. Seems to be the best deal so far :) Thanks![/QUOTE]

Okay for that price I will cancel my other order. (Their website sucked anyway.)

So I guess its confirmed that the Black Label version, and the 1.51 version of this shmup will be via DLC (with vouchers included in the game package), as opposed to on-disc? Why wouldn't they include these on the original game disc, surely there is more than enough space to fit it? This game can't begin to take up an entire DVD disc, even at single layer?

The problem with this DLC approach is that, down the road, if you wanted to play the game again (lets say beyond the existing console generation), you simply would not have "access" to the Black Label or 1.51 versions of this game . . . which pretty much sucks. That's one reason I hate DLC and digital content (vs. physical content, aka a disc); you never really own the product.

[quote name='chimpmeister']So I guess its confirmed that the Black Label version, and the 1.51 version of this shmup will be via DLC (with vouchers included in the game package), as opposed to on-disc? Why wouldn't they include these on the original game disc, surely there is more than enough space to fit it? This game can't begin to take up an entire DVD disc, even at single layer?

The problem with this DLC approach is that, down the road, if you wanted to play the game again (lets say beyond the existing console generation), you simply would not have "access" to the Black Label or 1.51 versions of this game . . . which pretty much sucks. That's one reason I hate DLC and digital content (vs. physical content, aka a disc); you never really own the product.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why you won't have access to it in the future. You can just redownload it.

[quote name='62t']I don't see why you won't have access to it in the future. You can just redownload it.[/QUOTE]

. . . until they shut down the support for 360 XBL, like they did for the original XBox. Which means, you don't really own it . . . say your old 360 dies, and you pull a backup system and boot the game, but there is no 360 XBL to d/l the DLC (because they've gone on to the next generation of console and online support). That's my point, you're out of luck and and can't get these extras, which they should have put on the disc to begin with (and I'm sure they'd fit, but even if not, they should have included a 2nd disc with the extras on it).

[quote name='chimpmeister']. . . until they shut down the support for 360 XBL, like they did for the original XBox. Which means, you don't really own it . . . say your old 360 dies, and you pull a backup system and boot the game, but there is no 360 XBL to d/l the DLC (because they've gone on to the next generation of console and online support). That's my point, you're out of luck and and can't get these extras, which they should have put on the disc to begin with (and I'm sure they'd fit, but even if not, they should have included a 2nd disc with the extras on it).[/QUOTE]

I think Xbox 360 is big enough that you don't have to worry about that. It will be more like PSP to Vita, where you can just move all your DLC

[quote name='Relysis']Thanks, got it from dvd.co.uk for £21.28 after vat and shipping to US, no coupons.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on this one, cost me about $33 shipped from the UK to here. Hopefully if this is a hit they will release more non localized region free shmups.

[quote name='chimpmeister']So I guess its confirmed that the Black Label version, and the 1.51 version of this shmup will be via DLC (with vouchers included in the game package), as opposed to on-disc? Why wouldn't they include these on the original game disc, surely there is more than enough space to fit it? This game can't begin to take up an entire DVD disc, even at single layer?[/QUOTE]

It's not a matter of space. With the Japanese versions, either Cave charges an additional 1200 space bucks for these extras, or they are a limited thing for the more expensive editions. I love Cave's games but I hate the way that they bleed money from their fans. (And yes, it's still cheaper than buying the PCB, but I hate having to spend close to $100 to get all the content for their Japanese games.)

Also, I'm not sure where you saw that the DLC was included in the package. I'd assume the opposite given Cave's past unless you saw something that explicitedly stated otherwise.

[quote name='CDiablo']Thanks for the heads up on this one, cost me about $33 shipped from the UK to here. Hopefully if this is a hit they will release more non localized region free shmups.[/QUOTE]

33$ shipped for me too THANKS!!!!

In for one from dvd.co.uk. At the moment it would be $29.59 which seems pretty amazing for importing a game, but the exchange rate could change between now and release and it won't be charged until shipped. Thanks OP and everyone who has contributed useful info to this thread!!

[quote name='crunchewy']In for one from dvd.co.uk. At the moment it would be $29.59 which seems pretty amazing for importing a game, but the exchange rate could change between now and release and it won't be charged until shipped. Thanks OP and everyone who has contributed useful info to this thread!![/QUOTE]

I'm tempted to wait on this one(since there is no limited edition dlc with first print) but $29.59 is pretty great.

bread's done
Back