Does anybody think Chrono Trigger is overrated? (not a flame attempt)

boyward

CAGiversary!
Feedback
75 (100%)
I've never played more than 5 minutes of Chrono Trigger (couldn't handle the load times on the PS1 compilation), so I'm not making a statement that CT is overrated. I'm asking a question.

Is it overrated? I can't pass judgment because I didn't spend enough time with it yet, so I'm asking you.

I ask this because so many other classic games that came highly recommended have failed to live up to my high hopes. The way gamers sing Chrono Trigger's praises has created such high expectations in me that I'm afraid I'll be disappointed when I finally sit down and play the game. So I want to hear from those of you who can possibly lower my expectations and, therefore, help me appreciate the game for what it is.

[quote name='boyward']I've never played more than 5 minutes of Chrono Trigger (couldn't handle the load times on the PS1 compilation), so I'm not making a statement that CT is overrated. I'm asking a question.

Is it overrated?

I ask this because so many other classic games that came highly recommended have failed to live up to my high hopes. The way gamers sing Chrono Trigger's praises has created such high expectations in me that I'm afraid I'll be disappointed when I finally sit down and play the game. So I want to hear from those of you who can possibly lower my expectations and, therefore, help me appreciate the game for what it is.[/QUOTE]

how can one pass judgment on anything after giving it only 5 minutes? No, it is not overrated. Far from it.

It stands as one of 3 RPGs I played and beaten, and not a moment felt forced. There was no griding required and the pace was excellent. So, no, it's a great game with a fantastic story. But don't touch the PS1 version. SNES all the way.

I don't blame you at all for being turned off by the PS1 load times. However, Chrono Trigger is one of the few games that deserves all the hype it gets. Give it another shot if you can play the cartridge or, ahem, some other format.

Chrono Trigger was probably one of my Favorite SNES RPG's. When CT came out I was a wee lad that just started to play RPG games. I remeber playign through it twice. The Story and Characters were O So memorable. Final Fantasy 3 USA and Chrono Trigger are by far my favorite RPG's of all time. Overrated? No.

No. It's the greatest game on earth.

But yeah, if you can avoid it, don't play the PSX version. But one way or another, it's a game that you need to experience.

It is my favorite game of all time. Avoid the PSX version and play it on an emulator for the PC if you have to, that game deserves to be played. It is one of the few games that gets everything right - epic story, memorable cast each with their own unique personality, detailed graphics, sweeping soundtrack, multiple endings, etc.

If someone told you that it was the absolute best RPG ever made, and that the genre as a whole should have stopped making games afterwards because everything that an RPG should be was already achieved in CT, then yes I would say it was overrated.

But is it one of the best games ever made, and a classic that I think everyone should play at least twice? Yes, yes it is.

But not the PSX version. Those anime cutscenes are NOT with those shitty load times.

Well, I started this post out trying to explain how the game is overrated. I think people talk this game up too much so that it may disappoint newcomers. In trying to figure out the game's faults when being compared to other games during its time I came up with nothing. It's the pinnacle of 16-bit RPG gaming, plain and simple.

I bought it for 75 dollars with my gift money when I was 10, and I thought it was worth every penny. I guess I'd say the story is not interesting enough to warrant the multiple playthroughs required to see every ending, but that's it.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']how can one pass judgment on anything after giving it only 5 minutes? No, it is not overrated. Far from it.[/quote]

I wasn't passing judgment. I didn't play the game long enough to know if it's overrated or not. That's why I'm asking those of you who spent more time with the game. ;)

Based on what I'm hearing so far, it really does seem like a game I need to play, either on the Super NES format or on the Virtual Console whenever it comes over. A GBA/DS port would be nice too.

im sure it'll get rereleased eventually.. probably on the virtual console..

amazing... amazing ... amazing.. every year in the summer i play through it.. its just that good

Which reminds me, is SNES emulation on the VC more or less flawless? Is the music and everything in place?

Because I like Chrono Trigger and I've played a decent amount of the SNES version and I've beaten the Playstation port a couple times. The loading times never got to me (I played on a PS2 with fast loading turned on), what bothered me was the altered sounds. If the emulation is as close to perfect as humanly possible on the Wii, I might have to get a Wii someday (assuming a VC port arrives eventually).

[quote name='boyward']A GBA/DS port would be nice too.[/QUOTE]
I actually think that CT is a game that really isn't suited to handhelds. It needs to be played on a big TV, if you ask me.

Not overrated A+ Music A+ Characters A+ Battles A+ Graphics(For their time)

A+ all around. Played it recently and it aged very well.

The generation that did not grow up in the SNES era may find it over-rated.

However, coming from someone who paid $70 for the cartridge, and the game actually got him away from his XBAND addiction, yes it was a damn good game. For some reason, I could never get into Chrono Cross though, although as I have grown older I have found myself not playing RPGs nearly at all with the last one I beat being Tales of Symphonia.

[quote name='strayfoxx']The generation that did not grow up in the SNES era may find it over-rated.

However, coming from someone who paid $70 for the cartridge, and the game actually got him away from his XBAND addiction, yes it was a damn good game. For some reason, I could never get into Chrono Cross though, although as I have grown older I have found myself not playing RPGs nearly at all with the last one I beat being Tales of Symphonia.[/QUOTE]

yep i was thinking the same thing. yeah i have tons of RPGs backlogged and i still havent touched them thanks to LIVE. i think i will unhook the 360 and take my summer beating those games.

IMO, Chrono Trigger is one of the few games that does live up to the hype. I bought it on release and spent more time with it than just about any other game of the SNES generation. It's right up there, if not better than, Final Fantasy III(VI) in terms of overall greatness. I only wish we could see another game in the series on par with it.

I beat the game three times in one day. It simply rocks. Almost everything about it is classic. I think it may be one of the few games I've beaten into the double digits along with parasite eve 2 and Diablo 2

Chrono trigger is as good as the hype..

From that time the best RPG's

Chrono Trigger ($79.99 good to me,lol buying it a launch at Bestbuy)
Final Fantasy III (to me is still the best FF game)
Earth Bound

[quote name='willardhaven']Chrono Cross however, is vastly underrated.[/quote]
I have yet to play Chrono Cross (though I've owned it for over 2 years) but what you say is true. I have yet to find a gamer who thinks Chrono Cross is a masterpiece which is odd considering it didn't get just stellar reviews, it got near-perfect reviews.

GameSpot - 10/10

IGN - 9.7

EGM - 9.8 (average)

I really don't understand why it isn't as revered as FFVII though I guess I'll have to try it soon to formulate my own opinion.

I don't think it is overrated at all. No random encounters :applause:, great graphics (for it's time), incredible soundtrack, amazing story, endearing characters, +New Game, great combo technique, secrets....

It really was ahead of it's time (no pun intended).

Chrono Cross is damn amazing, but I've noticed it gets a lot of hate from RPG fans.

As for Chrono Trigger: it deserves all the praise it can get.

Trigger: Pull the trigger/deserving of all the praise Cross: don't relate it to trigger and it's a great game by itself

Well it's called one of the most perfect RPGs ever, which is exactly what it is.

You can't be overrated if you are rated exactly as you are, so no. It is not.

Play the SNES version. Load times would kill it for me too.

Well, Chrono Trigger doesn't need my help here.. what are we at 20-0 in favor of CT's awesomeness. I suppose I should still throw one more "in favor of" vote out there.

My group of best friends are varied (very) in their gaming tastes. Beat 'em ups, FPS fans, Rpg, sports... it doesn't seem to matter, we all come to agree on the merits, everytime, of Chrono Trigger.

That said, I still haven't beaten it. I remember getting confused with all of the time travel (and apparently, you can really miss some things if you don't have the equivalent of gamefaq level knowledge.)

(Oh yea, I concur... SNES all the way... the PS1 load times kill the experience.)

My favorite game of all time. I played it through about 10 times. I do not think its overrated. The only RPG that I could say liked nearly as much would be FFVI.

Well, I couldn't get past the first battle in Chrono Trigger so it sucks.

I kept defending but it wasn't hurting the enemy.

Chrono Trigger DOES live up to the hype. Now my memories are colored by past pleasantries. I had to work hard that summer to earn the money to buy it and it was a triumphant purchase indeed. I had it "Layawayed" at Walmart (something they dont even do anymore atleast the stores around here!) and the day I went down to pay it off was glorious. I spent HOURS that night (even through a bad thunderstorm) playing the game.

Its engaging, has a great story, a terrific cast of characters through various time periods, beautiful art, memorable music, a pretty good story, A+ where RPGs are concerned.

Perhaps today in the slew of new high tech looking RPGs and fast battles like FFXII it may seem dated. But for the time, it was "Teh Awesome!!" Play it if you can, on a SNES or emulation even.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I think a GBA version is the works isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Never heard that before.

Also once read that it would be hard to pull off because of the way the menu system works.

That makes me think a DS version would work pretty well, but I don't know.

The only re-release outside of the PS1 that I know of was that unofficial 3D remake, which Square bitched about a C&D'd it to death before it was done, which is incredibly frustrating, because seems like they could have gone a different route with it. Maybe let them finish and then sell it to Square? I dunno. I have no idea how business matters/licenses work, so I don't know what I can and cannot propose.

[quote name='Strell']Never heard that before.

Also once read that it would be hard to pull off because of the way the menu system works.

That makes me think a DS version would work pretty well, but I don't know.

The only re-release outside of the PS1 that I know of was that unofficial 3D remake, which Square bitched about a C&D'd it to death before it was done, which is incredibly frustrating, because seems like they could have gone a different route with it. Maybe let them finish and then sell it to Square? I dunno. I have no idea how business matters/licenses work, so I don't know what I can and cannot propose.[/quote]

The guys making it should have never uttered a peep until it was done IMO.

Chrono Cross was pretty good. It doesn't really relate to Chrono Trigger in any way except for the appearance of the ghosts of Crono, Lucia and Marle. Even then, their role was so generic, it could have been Hewey, Dewey and Lewey and been none the less viable. Its also supposed to be part of the same world, but its 1000 years later or some other vastly large number it doesn't even matter.

Gameplay wise, I think its biggest downfall was that the technics were too few and the cast too many. In CT you had a small closely knit party, whereas CC had just a bunch of random ass people you didn't give a damn about and had dick for personality and interactivity with other simularly shallow characters. Orala had a smokin rack though. :lol:

Nope, not overrated.

[quote name='Kayden']It doesn't really relate to Chrono Trigger in any way except for the appearance of the ghosts of Crono, Lucia and Marle. Even then, their role was so generic, it could have been Hewey, Dewey and Lewey and been none the less viable. Its also supposed to be part of the same world, but its 1000 years later or some other vastly large number it doesn't even matter.[/quote]
Actually it was VERY related to CT. Everything that happens in CC is a direct result of the actions the main characters of CT took. In fact one of the themes of CC was the dark consequences behind seemingly good intentions. Such as when the heroes of CT saved the world.

Not any more than any classic Final Fantasy game. After a certain point almost everything develops a nostalgia factor.

Personally I reallyed enjoyed Chrono Trigger, the world surrounding it is far more interesting than what most typical RPGs have to offer.

Overrated. I played it when I was young, and I played it again during the summer to see how well it aged (both on SNES). It was still a great game, but definitely not living up to this "best game I've ever played" stuff I'm seeing here. I mean, back then it was a good game, and now it's a good game, but I still think that it's got too much hype behind it. I've enjoyed several other RPG's more than CT, and some of them don't have a fraction of the hype CT does.

[quote name='kittycatgirl2k']
Perhaps today in the slew of new high tech looking RPGs and fast battles like FFXII it may seem dated. But for the time, it was "Teh Awesome!!" Play it if you can, on a SNES or emulation even.[/quote]

Nope, Chono Trigger is not dated at all. I played Chrono Cross first, and then played Chrono Trigger's "PC version." This game is so good, I kinda want to buy the Chronicles version just to give Square my money for making such a great game. It's not overrated at all.

o_O... I may have to play it again then as I may have missed that at the ripe old age of 12... but then I was never one for looking for the deeper meaning. I figure, if they want me to walk away knowing something, they'll tell me. Thats probably why I enjoy comic book movies more than most nerds as I look at what I'm presented instead of what they left out.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Nope, not overrated.

Actually it was VERY related to CT. Everything that happens in CC is a direct result of the actions the main characters of CT took. In fact one of the themes of CC was the dark consequences behind seemingly good intentions. Such as when the heroes of CT saved the world.[/quote]

Ive been planning on getting around to playing this game, well today I started it and am so far enjoying it very much. The story has me interested in continuing and the gameplay is the right mix of in depth, but not overly complicated. Ill update when I finish, but so far I would say no, its not overrated.

Definitely overrated. As far as technical achievements go, it was a masterpiece. It had a great soundtrack, a beautiful art style, and innovative gameplay features you'd find in few RPGs even today: no random battles, being able to move around while talking to NPCs, multiple endings, etc. But my biggest gripe with Chrono Trigger is a critical one, and that's with the storyline; I didn't care for any of the characters except Frog and Magus, and I certainly didn't care for any of the worlds you travel to besides the first two. They barely hold together to form a cohesive storyline, and it seemed like they just sent you to random places for the sake of time travel.

OP, I'd recommend you try the game with an SNES emulator. That's not kosher with a lot of people, but the PS1 ports are simply unplayable due to the long loading times, and good luck getting an original cartridge.

Well worth it to get your hands on a non-PS1 copy of the game.

It's worth every penny to me; my personal favorite game, followed closely by Valkyrie Profile.

bread's done
Back