Dogs

So I adopted him last night. I couldn't even put the number of the lady who called about him into my phone. I ended up calling the head of the organization and she said she knew I was going to keep him when I started fostering him.

Id love to foster but cant. I don't believe in over vaccinating people or animals so while my dogs have several critical vaccinations they are missing 1 or 2 of the lesser ones(ones the vet said are not critical). Every group around us demands your dogs are up to date on every last little shot, thus I cant foster. Stinks too because id really really love to foster.

nasum - You're a foster failure, but a very good person :D

I have two fosters right now. Boone who I'm fairly certain will be adopted by a friend of mine and Zoltan a good family dog who was heading to an overcrowded shelter Wednesday morning and probably going to be euthanized same day but I scooped him up Tuesday night. I have another foster who is looking for a 2nd dog and I'll find out Sunday if Zoltan fits the bill.

OK CAG dog peeps I need some help here.

One of past rescue dogs made it to the final round of a competition with Fuzzy Nation. We need votes big time because this has cash prizes that will allow us to save more animals.

We rescued Mikie last winter when someone called in about a starved freezing dog next to a dumpster in Detroit. He's has been and still is going through a rough road to become completely healthy. Go here http://www.facebook.com/fuzzynation?sk=app_117170818364057 and like the page then vote for Mikie. You can vote once a day and we need your votes. Spread the word if you like. It's greatly appreciated.

Two things.

Our rescue Mikie ended up winning third place in the Fuzzy Nation contest!!! He did damn good considering the two dogs that placed above him got televised features from their local TV. We approached local TV here and were told that because he was a Bully mix they wouldn't run a story on him. Thankfully a some friends in radio ran a couple PSA's and helped us out.

Next and something I'm very proud of. My current foster Zoltan is going into a program to become a service dog for veterans with PTSD. He will be leaving me Wednesday to begin training. Zoltan was a very good family dog when I got him. Through exercise and a structured environment he became a sponge learning everything so quickly. I'm donating him to this cause on behalf of my family members that have served our nations military.

I want one of these sooo bad!

20081215186515_3109509008_abbb6c1071_b.jpg_w450.jpg

[quote name='saunderscowie']I want one of these sooo bad!

20081215186515_3109509008_abbb6c1071_b.jpg_w450.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I have always wanted a husky/malamute but I know they are quite the responsibility. They have been breed to run long distances and do so on a regular basis which means they need tons of exercise. I tend to walk my dogs at least once a day and often twice, and we go to the park for longer walks on the weekend(where they are often off leash)but I have been worried that it would still not be enough for this breed. They have a ton of energy and if you dont help them spend it they become fence jumpers and diggers. I think we would be ok, mostly just saying that while they are gorgeous gorgeous dogs you need to make sure they are right for you. They need tons of exercise and they can be pretty stubborn.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I have always wanted a husky/malamute but I know they are quite the responsibility. They have been breed to run long distances and do so on a regular basis which means they need tons of exercise. I tend to walk my dogs at least once a day and often twice, and we go to the park for longer walks on the weekend(where they are often off leash)but I have been worried that it would still not be enough for this breed. They have a ton of energy and if you dont help them spend it they become fence jumpers and diggers. I think we would be ok, mostly just saying that while they are gorgeous gorgeous dogs you need to make sure they are right for you. They need tons of exercise and they can be pretty stubborn.[/QUOTE]

This x 1000.

I have two huskies. Both were rescues. My family probably wasn't equipt to handle them properly, in hindsight. One male and one female, just companion dogs, not for breeding. The male had extremely high energy in his youth. He was never properly trained and he was never walked enough (which I regret to this day), which made him prone to getting fat over the years and caused many attempts of him trying to run away in his youth, just to explore the neighborhood. He's not a big digger but he was a huge fence jumper in his youth. He also jumped through glass windows on at least one occasion to go after other dogs straying on our property. Thank god the glass didn't cut him open. That was a miracle. The female jumped out the window too following the male. She's lucky she didn't get cut either.

Over 10 years later both of them are very docile and very sweet though. The female went through some heavy trauma before we got her and all she's interested in is holding down the fort at home. She's sort of the opposite of what you'd expect from a husky. The male still wants to go roaming the neighborhood and loves walks, but he doesn't realize how old he is and how bad his arthritis gets, and how hot the weather is for his coat, so we have to watch how far we take him (as opposed to not taking him far enough in his youth). Hip displasia is another big problem with huskies.

They're also working dogs, so I wouldn't get them if you want a dog to really play with or fetch with or something, unless its something that can be overcome by training. When they were younger, my dogs would chew up the stuffed toys with squeakers, but that was it. Now that they're both older they have no interest in any toys, but they do like to socialize with other dogs and I think that's where they do most of their playing.

If you live in a hot climate, be prepared to have them shed all year round. Your home will be an absolute mess. You're either going to be brushing them daily or you're going to be spending a ton at the groomers.

They're wonderful dogs but you really really really need to read up on them and make an informed decision based on everything known about them. Definitely get the huskies professionally trained (that's probably advisable for the majority of dogs though), and definitely walk them a ton. That should take care of most of the big issues, except for the shedding which you can do nothing about other than learn to not mind dog hair EVERYWHERE.

Yeah 90% of the people I know that get huskies do so because of how gorgous they are. Then 90% turn around and give them up to a rescue or live hating their dog for years on end. They are a great freaking breed.....just a great breed for people with the time, energy, patience and attention for them.

Hi all...I need some advice on my 3 month old boxer....he is an awesome dog all around but he has developed this new habit of barking uncontrollably whenever we try to correct his play biting on our hands...any ideas of what is going on or how to break him of this? for the record i do not believe in hitting my dog so that is out already...

[quote name='saunderscowie']That particular photo was a shiba inu not a husky, but yeah a husky is a dream dog of mine also!

Like this dog, she is so cute..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QkN7rIQ5mE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/QUOTE]

Ah yeah. They and the Akita can be gorgous breeds too. Wouldnt mind one of them and they are a bit smaller too which is nice. If I ever got one I think id have to name it Koromaru after the dog from Persona 3.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/8179/1155067-koromaru_super.jpg

One of my dogs, Cookie had puppies today! I think next week marked her 9th week of pregnancy, apparently the duration for chihuahuas is 9-10 weeks so she's on pretty good time. The mum is 100% chihuahua, and the father is a ginger pomeranian/poodle mix.

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

Dark is boy, mixed is girl. We are keeping the girl and selling the boy I think to my Mums friend.

Any ideas on a potential name for the girl puppy?

[quote name='Skooba81']Hi all...I need some advice on my 3 month old boxer....he is an awesome dog all around but he has developed this new habit of barking uncontrollably whenever we try to correct his play biting on our hands...any ideas of what is going on or how to break him of this? for the record i do not believe in hitting my dog so that is out already...[/QUOTE]

I dont know what you are trying at the moment but it sounds like he thinks its some sort of game.

What worked for us is when they bite your hand, yelp loud as you can to startle them. They will soon learn that biting humans causes pain and they will stop biting or make it so their play biting is very soft.

[quote name='Skooba81']Hi all...I need some advice on my 3 month old boxer....he is an awesome dog all around but he has developed this new habit of barking uncontrollably whenever we try to correct his play biting on our hands...any ideas of what is going on or how to break him of this? for the record i do not believe in hitting my dog so that is out already...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Lice']I dont know what you are trying at the moment but it sounds like he thinks its some sort of game.

What worked for us is when they bite your hand, yelp loud as you can to startle them. They will soon learn that biting humans causes pain and they will stop biting or make it so their play biting is very soft.[/QUOTE]

Yes yelping very loud is great advice. When pups play together that's the signal they give each other when one is playing too hard. Removing what he seeks most- attention is also a good way to deter bad behaviors. It will take some time, but he'll figure it out. Make sure you give him lots of stuff that he can chew on. I'll make one other suggestion as I work with a ton of bully/boxer breeds. Don't play tug of war. When you or any other human goes to take something he should give it up immediately and tug of war can really make teaching drop-it or leave-it more difficult.

And yes hitting should NEVER be an option. That's a sure fire way to make an animal hand shy and eventually fear bite. I actually kept my one personal dog because of that. He came to our rescue as a stray pup 6-8 months old and was very hand shy. His being that way was very off putting to potential adopters so I kept him and it took me probably 15 minutes every day for 6 months to cure it. If someone ever comes to me claiming he was their dog I'm sucker punching them right in the face.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find an effective way to train my dogs out of bad behavior is to command their attention. I make them sit and then I grab them firmly(not so firm you hurt them)under the chin and above the head for my pug and around the snout for my longer nosed dogs. Continuing to hold them firm I make me look me in the face and I tell them sternly NO and then a simple word to signfy whatever they were doing wrong(no road! No chew! No bite! No eat! etc etc). They already see me as the Alpha Male/Boss of the household and know I am the disciplinarian so they REALLY hate when I have my angry face on being made to look me directly in the eyes that way.

Most of the time I can break bad behavior simply by telling them not to do something a few times, but when they keep at it I find the above method does a good job. I figure its because it reenforces my authority, commands their attention and keeps it simple

last night was the worse.

So our dog's way of letting us know she has to potty is by shaking her body and therefore making noises with her id tag...no bark or whimpers. She will also scratch her self on the floor making loud thumping noises.

I take her out but of course it's raining and she hates that. So I put the harness on and she refuses to go out even with the harness. I said fuck it after trying for 20 mins and let her go back up stairs... The bedroom door is LOCKED and I forget about this. I am watching tv downstairs and I give it another 10-15 mins to try again.

She comes down stairs and we try this again. Again she doesn't want to go out because of the rain. Then she starts pacing and looking like she's gonna piss her self or something. I tried again and she won't go . Finally I give up and let her go back upstairs.

Coming to check on her I see her at the top of the stairs with a look "Are you coming up?". I go up to get her to try one more time and start smelling something bad. She made a marking spot (Small!) infront of my computer room and decided to drop a few loads near my computer chair!

This was not a good combo because the computer increases the temperature of the room so it's *warm* and lack of air circulation made it worse. That smell was really bad that I puked my brains out. I spent an hour venting out that room and spraying it down with stuff.

How do you guys get your pets to go out when it's raining? She will only pee in the rain but won't do #2.

Yea it's my fault for not watching her....something is up though...she specifically took a dump in MY COMPUTER ROOM and pee marked outside of that door. This dog has it out for me.

:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

crate training crate training crate training.

my dog hasn't gone #2 inside since 8 weeks, and hasn't peed inside since ten. He's 5 months old thursday.

Edit: Take dog out. Tell her the command you use for the bathroom, be it go potty or take a dump. If the dog doesn't go, bring her inside and put her in the crate. Rinse and repeat every 20 minutes until she goes. My dog would never go in his crate, he knows it is his safe place, his den. He leaves the room and goes to sleep in it when he is tired (by himself). It is nice for him to have a break from my wife and I, and likewise for us.

[quote name='perdition(troy']crate training crate training crate training.

my dog hasn't gone #2 inside since 8 weeks, and hasn't peed inside since ten. He's 5 months old thursday.

Edit: Take dog out. Tell her the command you use for the bathroom, be it go potty or take a dump. If the dog doesn't go, bring her inside and put her in the crate. Rinse and repeat every 20 minutes until she goes. My dog would never go in his crate, he knows it is his safe place, his den. He leaves the room and goes to sleep in it when he is tired (by himself). It is nice for him to have a break from my wife and I, and likewise for us.[/QUOTE]

Her "safe spot" seems to be under the table...She goes right under there when she's afraid of something outside or something spooked her. My gf isn't working with me to get this set up right as she always want her to sleep in the bed, which turns into control over the bed with the dog...

We have however have been slowly but surely are successfully getting her to lay down on command with treats. ...but I guess that's going to stop for CT. I really wish our dog would bark or whimper to let us know she has to go...makes it easier for us... we have tried the bell on door handle and that kinda work but not for long. We don't want her to scratch the door to get out... our dog is very quite.

Shes a 2 year old beagle/whippet mixed.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I have always wanted a husky/malamute but I know they are quite the responsibility. They have been breed to run long distances and do so on a regular basis which means they need tons of exercise. I tend to walk my dogs at least once a day and often twice, and we go to the park for longer walks on the weekend(where they are often off leash)but I have been worried that it would still not be enough for this breed. They have a ton of energy and if you dont help them spend it they become fence jumpers and diggers. I think we would be ok, mostly just saying that while they are gorgeous gorgeous dogs you need to make sure they are right for you. They need tons of exercise and they can be pretty stubborn.[/QUOTE]
Nah, my husky for 10 years would of been lucky to of been walked 10 times a year and we kept her in a 30x6 pen. A little obese but 10 years of ownership is fine by me vs. 20 min walks that add up.

The problem is their fur, they will never stop shedding no matter how hard you brush so make sure you don't plan to keep her inside than it is necessary.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Nah, my husky for 10 years would of been lucky to of been walked 10 times a year and we kept her in a 30x6 pen. A little obese but 10 years of ownership is fine by me vs. 20 min walks that add up.

The problem is their fur, they will never stop shedding no matter how hard you brush so make sure you don't plan to keep her inside than it is necessary.[/QUOTE]

That seems really unfair to the dog.....Dogs are social animals and Huskies are meant to run. You basically took that dogs nature discarded it and then left that dog bottled up.

I don't care, it's an animal, it was one day away from being put to sleep, and it's bark is one of the best deterrent and it's a great chick magnet.

[quote name='Necrozilla']I don't care, it's an animal, it was one day away from being put to sleep, and it's bark is one of the best deterrent and it's a great chick magnet.[/QUOTE]

What a hero you are.

[quote name='Necrozilla']I don't care, it's an animal, it was one day away from being put to sleep, and it's bark is one of the best deterrent and it's a great chick magnet.[/QUOTE]

...wow. Really?.... Its the little things that add up to make you give up on humans...

[quote name='Lice']...wow. Really?.... Its the little things that add up to make you give up on humans...[/QUOTE]
Glad to do my part.

Nah, like I said it's a great deterrent to trespassers and chick magnet.

Pets =/= Kids (maybe if you're lonely like my aunt and uncle who value their 2 dogs as children, very creepy)

[quote name='MSI Magus']Much like most parents do not deserve to have had kids, most pet owners should not be allowed to keep their animals.[/QUOTE]

Sad but true. Humans aren't a very endearing species.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Nah, like I said it's a great deterrent to trespassers and chick magnet.

Pets =/= Kids (maybe if you're lonely like my aunt and uncle who value their 2 dogs as children, very creepy)[/QUOTE]

I didnt say my dogs were my kids. I said that most people do not deserve their kids and most people do not deserve their pets. People cant even handle the responsibility of taking care of themselves, so its not shocking they cant take care of a pet or a kid.

I have a 7 year old Jack Russel my self. Have had him since he was 6 weeks old. JRTs aren't for everyone, I got lucky with Mickey, my lil guy. Just get the bastards fixed earlier on lol. I'll post pics in a bit...just need to resize them lol

Ok, so we broke down and got a crate for her. She's crate trained alright. She did give us a confused look as to why she was in the crate. When I finally came to bed she looked like she was shaking and awake, so I let her out asking if she had to go potty. She immediately ran towards the door and I took her downstairs where she ran to her water bowl and drank water for over 30 seconds (good lord!) then she went outside to potty. She loved the treats we give her but it makes her thirsty big time.

When I let her back inside she ran upstairs and on top the bed where she plopped her self down on MY SPOT and wouldn't budge...so we ended up letting her sleep on the bed again *sigh*.

Now my gf is saying we should just let her stay, but if she has another accident, that it's to the crate she goes.....is that a good idea using the crate as punishment for peeing upstairs?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Now my gf is saying we should just let her stay, but if she has another accident, that it's to the crate she goes.....is that a good idea using the crate as punishment for peeing upstairs?[/QUOTE]

No! A crate is supposed to be a nice safe place for the dog. There is nothing wrong with crate training and even though the dog looks sad, they will learn that it is their home. The worst thing you can be with a dog is inconsistent. Your dog already has it in their head that they are the boss and can sleep on your (their) bed whenever they want.

What Mr Unoriginal said.

Also, don't be afraid to pick up a book or an instructional DVD or to take the dog down to Petsmart for dog training classes. Failing to have the dog properly trained will be a huge regret later on. You don't want to allow bad habits like the dog being in the bed between you and your SO and making things punishment like the crate when thats the exact opposite purpose.

Thanks for the advice guys. She has the annoying habit of waiting for me to get off the bed then she jumps into bed right next to my gf then won't budge...she's gonna be crated tonight again.

Also some strange behavior we have seen in her lately. She would lay in the hallway outside of the first floor basement for some reason. We tried letting her out to see if that is her way of telling us she has to go potty, but that's not it.

strange.

As for Petsmart.. are they really recommended or can I take her somewhere else? We were considering the intermediate training, but they (PS) wanted her to know how to come and sit on command, which she gets 4 out of 5 times....with my GF! :(

[quote name='ITDEFX']As for Petsmart.. are they really recommended or can I take her somewhere else? We were considering the intermediate training, but they (PS) wanted her to know how to come and sit on command, which she gets 4 out of 5 times....with my GF! :([/QUOTE]

There are many options for having your dogs "professionally" trained. Some are better than others.

I had a family member who was hospitalized and while she was in the hospital her new dog was boarded at a place that was supposed to train the dog. The dog was there for a couple of weeks and at the end of it, the training was for shit. The dog learned next to nothing. The place claimed they spent most of the time trying to get the dog to "learn its name" when it already knew that much. And this wasn't a shady place, its a reputable place for boarding and day care that also offered training services.

I also think it didn't help that the family member wasn't there (because of the hospitalization) to participate in the training with the dog. And then the other family member who picked up the dog basically undid all that training with antiquated ways of thinking dogs should be trained (fear based things, etc.). Eventually the dog was properly trained in private 1 on 1 sessions with a trainer and the family member who owned the dog after the hospitalization.

I'd say hit Yelp, hit other dog websites, ask around with people who have trained dogs, see who trains well and who doesn't. I'm sure various organizations like the AKC have training standards that they bestow upon places to accredit them (though I can't say for certain).

The other thing is, I'm sure there are multiple ways to properly train your dog you can accumulate from books, DVDs, paid trainers, etc. but its most important that you don't use improper methods, like using the crate as punishment. Watch "Its Me Or The Dog" on Animal Planet and you'll see many terrible "training" practices in effect that just don't work. You'll also see a ton of people in your situation where the dog is literally coming between you and your SO on the bed.

And apparently dogs place the household in a pack hierarchy. If the dog responds to the GF, the dog is for some reason placing her higher up on the chain and you below the dog itself. Its crucial that the dog responds to training commands from both of you, otherwise you're going to have problems when the one the dog responds to isn't around.

While still getting along it seems that the original dog is a bit stressed that this new guy is still here. She's been really whiny the last couple of days and even when I invite her over for playtime she backs off as soon as the new guy shows up. I'm trying to get him to be a bit less codependent while getting her to be a bit more social all at the same time. An interesting experiment to be sure.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Ok, so we broke down and got a crate for her. She's crate trained alright. She did give us a confused look as to why she was in the crate. When I finally came to bed she looked like she was shaking and awake, so I let her out asking if she had to go potty. She immediately ran towards the door and I took her downstairs where she ran to her water bowl and drank water for over 30 seconds (good lord!) then she went outside to potty. She loved the treats we give her but it makes her thirsty big time.

When I let her back inside she ran upstairs and on top the bed where she plopped her self down on MY SPOT and wouldn't budge...so we ended up letting her sleep on the bed again *sigh*.

Now my gf is saying we should just let her stay, but if she has another accident, that it's to the crate she goes.....is that a good idea using the crate as punishment for peeing upstairs?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']No! A crate is supposed to be a nice safe place for the dog. There is nothing wrong with crate training and even though the dog looks sad, they will learn that it is their home. The worst thing you can be with a dog is inconsistent. Your dog already has it in their head that they are the boss and can sleep on your (their) bed whenever they want.[/QUOTE]

Mr Unoriginal speaks truth. This dog thinks it's above you. You need to reset the house hierarchy.

Get that dog crate trained right away. Put the dog on a leash give her the "Kennel" command, walk her to the kennel and guide her in there. Close the door then praise or give a very small treat(a kibble of dog food works just fine). Let her sit in there for a few moments then let her out if she's calm. Rinse and repeat slowly eliminating the treat and giving more praise. It will take a while but eventually the dog will run for the crate when commanded. Make sure you leave her in the crate on a positive so the dog doesn't equate the crate to punishment.

Now with the bed personally I'd cut that out completely. If you're set on allowing it then she has to learn it's only ok when given a command and even more importantly she needs to learn to get off when told. You're going to have to teach her using a leash. Use a similar technique as crate training. Also take this dog for some walks to cement the bond. You leading her will go a long way in teaching her where she is in the home chain of command.

On another note so many people either forget or don't use a leash to work with a dog in the house. There is nothing wrong with leaving a leash on in the house while you're teaching them something. Just don't leave a slip collar on unsupervised.

If you already haven't make sure you give him plenty of hard bones and a big rope to chew on. It will help clean his teeth.

We have been fostering dogs for an organization for about 6 months and the dog we have now is a Chihuahua. Only difference is this one was pregnant. Two weeks ago she had 7(!) puppies without any complications. It has been a really neat experience and they are just starting to open their eyes. Pretty easy now since the mom takes care of everything, but I can't imagine what my house will be like in 3 weeks when they are weaned and running crazy around the place!

[quote name='Javery']I want a dog, I just don't want to take care of a dog, therefore I don't have a dog. Damn.[/QUOTE]

Foster, it is the best. The group I work with is right in Summit, so it's local to pick up the dogs. Most of the time you get a dog Friday afternoon, keep them over night, bring them to the Pet Smart in Millburn and they usually get adopted. We've not had any dogs more than a few weeks and that is rare. I don't like the responsibility of a dog either, but having one for a week at a time is nice.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Foster, it is the best. The group I work with is right in Summit, so it's local to pick up the dogs. Most of the time you get a dog Friday afternoon, keep them over night, bring them to the Pet Smart in Millburn and they usually get adopted. We've not had any dogs more than a few weeks and that is rare. I don't like the responsibility of a dog either, but having one for a week at a time is nice.[/QUOTE]

For me it's not just the care, it's sharing a living space with a dog. It's icky. So I'd be cleaning non-stop, which I guess is indirect care, and then there's the training to teach the dog the places in the house it's allowed to go. To hell with it. No dogs.

(Same goes for cats. Although I prefer cats to dogs if I'm tasked with denying it living space. Cats are generally easier to punt.)

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Foster, it is the best. The group I work with is right in Summit, so it's local to pick up the dogs. Most of the time you get a dog Friday afternoon, keep them over night, bring them to the Pet Smart in Millburn and they usually get adopted. We've not had any dogs more than a few weeks and that is rare. I don't like the responsibility of a dog either, but having one for a week at a time is nice.[/QUOTE]

I used to go to St. Hubert's all the time and "browse" but I stopped when I finally realized I was never going to actually take one home. I would definitely adopt though if I ever decided to get one. I'm thinking maybe when my kids are older in 7-10 years and I can have them take turns walking the dog in the mornings.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with neighbors with barking dogs. After months of trying to put up with it I went and talked to them about the fact that their dogs frequently bark for hours on end and generally do so every day of the week. She didnt even bother to lie and say she would try and work on it. She immediately started talking shit about my dogs(who are let out for 10-30 min periods then let in and get yelled at for barking), saying how she refuses to make her dogs stay inside, demand that they are dogs and doing what dogs do, that we should be thankful because their dogs protect the neighborhood etc etc.

She just kept repeating the same few things over and over and acting like it wasn't her problem or that there is nothing she can do. Just another joy of freaking owning a house vs an apartment. I miss being able to just call a landlord when people acted like assholes.

I got to the point of calling the police over a noise violation on a neighbor (not a current neighbor) due to their dogs not stopping barking. I don't know if they ended up re-homing them, or what happened, but I didn't have to worry about them barking anymore. My dog is silent when he is outside, I hate a dog that barks at other dogs when he is in the backyard.

My current neighbors have a dog that barks anytime I come into the backyard. I bought a squirt gun a spray it anytime it starts to bark at me. It works quite well, and I don't mind that they know I do it. Shut it up or put it in the house. Though I did yell loud enough at it two nights ago that they came out of the house, apologized, and put the dog inside, kinda let my temper get the best of me on that one, not one of my prouder moments.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I got to the point of calling the police over a noise violation on a neighbor (not a current neighbor) due to their dogs not stopping barking. I don't know if they ended up re-homing them, or what happened, but I didn't have to worry about them barking anymore. My dog is silent when he is outside, I hate a dog that barks at other dogs when he is in the backyard.

My current neighbors have a dog that barks anytime I come into the backyard. I bought a squirt gun a spray it anytime it starts to bark at me. It works quite well, and I don't mind that they know I do it. Shut it up or put it in the house. Though I did yell loud enough at it two nights ago that they came out of the house, apologized, and put the dog inside, kinda let my temper get the best of me on that one, not one of my prouder moments.[/QUOTE]

My dogs bark from time to time, but I make sure to listen for it and punish them when I hear it. I have tried the squirting them with water, but both of their dogs love getting wet and he actually plays with them with the hose all the time so it just doesnt work. I am afraid I am going to end up having to call the cops which I hate doing. I even tried warning her that other neighbors had threatened to call the cops in the past but I told them id deal with it. That was a mistake...now they are just going to automatically assume I called the cops and get even angrier. When I told her she got all pissy and said there are now laws. I tried pointing out that there are noise pollution laws but again she just insisted that those are for loud music after dark.

Sigh.

bread's done
Back