Dogs

[quote name='MSI Magus']Does anyone have any tips for dealing with neighbors with barking dogs. After months of trying to put up with it I went and talked to them about the fact that their dogs frequently bark for hours on end and generally do so every day of the week. She didnt even bother to lie and say she would try and work on it. She immediately started talking shit about my dogs(who are let out for 10-30 min periods then let in and get yelled at for barking), saying how she refuses to make her dogs stay inside, demand that they are dogs and doing what dogs do, that we should be thankful because their dogs protect the neighborhood etc etc.

She just kept repeating the same few things over and over and acting like it wasn't her problem or that there is nothing she can do. Just another joy of freaking owning a house vs an apartment. I miss being able to just call a landlord when people acted like assholes.[/QUOTE]

Look up your city's municipal code. Most cities (or counties, if you technically don't live in a city) have barking ordinances. In my town, if the dog barks unprovoked for an hour straight or something, you can call out animal control. Unprovoked as in you or another dog is not on their property harassing their dog. Dogs can't bark at you for hours on end if you're just out mowing your lawn or sitting in your backyard.

Someone in my neighborhood recorded the dog barking for hours on end, sent it to either the city or animal control or whoever enforces the ordinance, and they came out and cited the owner. After three citations around here, animal control takes your animal or something like that. I think the guy got up to two citations. Then one night he left the dog outside and a coyote ate it. Sad for the dog. The owner is an idiot.

Also, if you live in an HOA, I'm sure you have rules or something in the CC&Rs against excessive dog barking. Let the HOA know and they'll probably be more than happy to fine your neighbor.

If you want to really get at it, record the dog for prolonged periods and stuff, then go to a lawyer. I'm sure they can file you a nice private nuisance lawsuit. But then expect your neighbor to hate you forever.

One more thing for ya:

Toledo Municipal Code
http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Ohio/toledo/toledomunicipalcode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:toledo_oh
CHAPTER 507 - Anti-Noise Law
507.06. Animals.
No owner, keeper or harborer of any animal shall permit or suffer such animal to continuously or frequently bark, howl or emit other audible sounds which create unreasonable, excessive or offensive noise to the annoyance or discomfort of any person of ordinary sensibilities in the vicinity of such animal.
(1952 Code § 17-15-106; Ord. 545-77)

[quote name='perdition(troy']One more thing for ya:

Toledo Municipal Code
http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Ohio/toledo/toledomunicipalcode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:toledo_oh
CHAPTER 507 - Anti-Noise Law
507.06. Animals.
No owner, keeper or harborer of any animal shall permit or suffer such animal to continuously or frequently bark, howl or emit other audible sounds which create unreasonable, excessive or offensive noise to the annoyance or discomfort of any person of ordinary sensibilities in the vicinity of such animal.
(1952 Code § 17-15-106; Ord. 545-77)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I knew about this and tried to point it out to her and she just kept insisting that noise pollution laws only relate to dogs barking at night and crazy parties. We live in Ohio and winter is going to be setting in. If come spring they are still barking then I plan on printing out the law and bringing it to her. I will warn the, that this is the second time iv asked nicely and if they can't control their dogs I'll record them barking Nd call the cops. It just pisses me off because not only was I polite about it but I also am one of the only neighbors that doesn't spread rumors about them(they are mexican in a white neighborhood)and even am very friendly to them(not just talking but making their kids special Halloween treats and what not)! Everyone else is saying he was in jail in Arizona for different crimes and his daughter is the one breaking in to peoples houses and all sorts of BS and the whole time iv been saying "they have been nice neighbors so till I see otherwise I dont care what the rumors are" and yet they act like jerks over such a silly issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
damn dog PEED on the couch when I came home from work! WTF?!?!?! She's never done that! She's also been shaking a lot like she's spooked.

[quote name='ITDEFX']damn dog PEED on the couch when I came home from work! WTF?!?!?! She's never done that! She's also been shaking a lot like she's spooked.[/QUOTE]

Maybe something scared her really bad? How old is your dog? Older dogs can be hit with bouts of incontinence, just like old people, and urinate where ever they're lying without even having time to react to move elsewhere.

[quote name='kodave']Maybe something scared her really bad? How old is your dog? Older dogs can be hit with bouts of incontinence, just like old people, and urinate where ever they're lying without even having time to react to move elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I dunno...but something in the backyard spooks her sometimes and she runs back in side...yet we see or hear nothing. She does randomly whine for no reason even though we let her out to do her business and give her attention. She will be 3 in December.

I have a year and a half old pit bull/boxer mix named Moki - he showed up on my doorstep a week before my b'day and was looking for an owner. He's been amazing as a pet. I suffer from frequent migraines and he can sense when I'm about to have them. He's not usually a "clingy" animal and he knows he's not suppose to be on the furniture, but when I'm about to migraine, he'll crawl up there with me and won't leave my side.

Figured id share this with all the dog lovers here. It about made my wife cry. I at least had to crawl over ot my dogs after reading it and lay on the floor petting them for a few minutes.

Sb0Bl.jpg

Eh.... Could have just summed it up as "don't kick the dog" and "appreciate what you have before its gone." Pretty important rules in dog ownership that I'd imagine a lot of people don't follow.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I got to the point of calling the police over a noise violation on a neighbor (not a current neighbor) due to their dogs not stopping barking. I don't know if they ended up re-homing them, or what happened, but I didn't have to worry about them barking anymore. My dog is silent when he is outside, I hate a dog that barks at other dogs when he is in the backyard.

My current neighbors have a dog that barks anytime I come into the backyard. I bought a squirt gun a spray it anytime it starts to bark at me. It works quite well, and I don't mind that they know I do it. Shut it up or put it in the house. Though I did yell loud enough at it two nights ago that they came out of the house, apologized, and put the dog inside, kinda let my temper get the best of me on that one, not one of my prouder moments.[/QUOTE]

My next door neighbors have five dogs, ranging in size from large to small (I can't stand dogs at all, so no idea what breeds they are) and they let them out in the back yard all day every day. That's all I ever hear is barking. Barking when I wake up, barking during the day, barking all night.

When I go out to do anything in my back yard they run up to the fence and bark, growl, and claw at the fence. It's actually kinda scary. One of the smaller ones kept getting under the fence and wandering our yard. I told them about it once when the dog was actually in our yard, and they couldn't even be bothered to come get the damn thing. I ended up chasing it out into the alley with a broom.

I've screamed out the window so many times at the dogs to shut the F-up, but they don't seem to want them in the house. I wonder why?

And now we have new neighbors across the street who have four smaller dogs (I think they may all be shitzu's after googleing some dog pics) and they keep them out in their front yard from morning till midnight. So now out front all we hear is barking, and out back all we hear is barking. It's a real nuisance when you have to keep your windows closed all the time because of the noise these things make. And even with the windows closed you can still hear them loud and clear inside the house.

I've thought about calling the cops, but the neighbors next to us are mentally unstable (they've flattened people's tires for parking on the street in front of their house) and the new one's across the street had a gang member living with them who had been arrested for assaulting a man walking down the street, so we're kinda hesitant.

[quote name='praxus07']My next door neighbors have five dogs, ranging in size from large to small (I can't stand dogs at all, so no idea what breeds they are) and they let them out in the back yard all day every day. That's all I ever hear is barking. Barking when I wake up, barking during the day, barking all night.

When I go out to do anything in my back yard they run up to the fence and bark, growl, and claw at the fence. It's actually kinda scary. One of the smaller ones kept getting under the fence and wandering our yard. I told them about it once when the dog was actually in our yard, and they couldn't even be bothered to come get the damn thing. I ended up chasing it out into the alley with a broom.

I've screamed out the window so many times at the dogs to shut the F-up, but they don't seem to want them in the house. I wonder why?

And now we have new neighbors across the street who have four smaller dogs (I think they may all be shitzu's after googleing some dog pics) and they keep them out in their front yard from morning till midnight. So now out front all we hear is barking, and out back all we hear is barking. It's a real nuisance when you have to keep your windows closed all the time because of the noise these things make. And even with the windows closed you can still hear them loud and clear inside the house.

I've thought about calling the cops, but the neighbors next to us are mentally unstable (they've flattened people's tires for parking on the street in front of their house) and the new one's across the street had a gang member living with them who had been arrested for assaulting a man walking down the street, so we're kinda hesitant.[/QUOTE]

Time to move.

Ya, I'm thinking it is time to get out of that situation ASAP.

also, that picture comment made me get choked up. my puppy is 8 months old now, but means the world to me. I don't really want to t hink about when he isn't around anymore. I was actually coming into this thread to complain about how he always jumps on new people that come in my house, but I guess it doesn't really matter all that much. He'll get over it.

[quote name='perdition(troy']My wife and I pick up our airedale terrier 3 weeks from today. It's costing me a grand, and better live for 20 years.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TC']An acquaintance of mine has an all black one. Very cute, fun & playful dogs. If you don't want it to jump on people start right away on that. Almost every Airedale I've ever met has been a jumper. Other than that they always seem like great dogs.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='perdition(troy']I was actually coming into this thread to complain about how he always jumps on new people that come in my house, but I guess it doesn't really matter all that much. He'll get over it.[/QUOTE]

Put him on a leash in the house before people come through the door. As soon as he goes to jump tell him no and if he doesn't listen immediately give him a leash correction. Remember timing is much more important than force. Also make sure to tell people to ignore him when they first come in.

[quote name='kodave']Time to move.[/QUOTE]

It's not us that should be moving though. We've been in this house 35+ years, the ones across the street are less than a year, and the next door ones are less than 10. There have been issues with the next door ones from the day they moved in. The mother needs to be arrested (she's an elder care home visit nurse and comes home daily with boxes and boxes of stuff from the old folks houses, always has a new boyfriend, the last one had an entire police team with the armored van here looking for him during the summer) and the "kids", in their 20's now, do nothing around the house so it's a mess (think Malcom in the Middle's house).

The dogs are just the "new" louder problem....

[quote name='perdition(troy'] I was actually coming into this thread to complain about how he always jumps on new people that come in my house, but I guess it doesn't really matter all that much. He'll get over it.[/QUOTE]

He won't get over it. Like the other poster said, you need to train your puppy if he's old enough to start training. The leash-inside-the-house thing seems to work well on videos I've seen. My dogs never had a jumping issue so it was never anything they were trained for. My sister's dog has a major jumping issue. If you scream sit at him enough times he'll finally do it, but he probably needs more training.

I just laughed so hard I fell down my stairs! I was wrestling with Razzputin(my pug) and he farted as I went to pick him up/flip him over. And I dont mean like a little pfttt I mean in a high pitched noise he went squeeeee like letting air out of a balloon. We have NEVER in 4 years heard him fart so it just caught me so off guard and for it to be so high pitched...I wouldn't have thought any butt could make that noise!

Anyone use Banfield for a vet? They've got the whole insurance thing and locations in Pet'sMart stores which seems pretty convenient. I'm just getting sick of paying $400 for teeth cleanings and all that.

[quote name='nasum']Anyone use Banfield for a vet? They've got the whole insurance thing and locations in Pet'sMart stores which seems pretty convenient. I'm just getting sick of paying $400 for teeth cleanings and all that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the insurance plan makes a huge difference. Free office visits and discounts on damn near everything. I think I pay $28 a month -- it definitely takes the sting out of each visit.

[quote name='PR Mega X']Yeah, the insurance plan makes a huge difference. Free office visits and discounts on damn near everything. I think I pay $28 a month -- it definitely takes the sting out of each visit.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm we went to them before and were unimpressed. They kept trying to sell us on all sorts of stuff and we felt like of the almost 2 hours we were in there most of it was a sales pitch and only 20 mins actually taking care of our dogs. However that insurance thing sounds pretty sweet. Id pay $28 a month for my pets to have everything taken care of yearly. How much do you pay for extras like having teeth cleaned, shots etc etc?

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hmmmm we went to them before and were unimpressed. They kept trying to sell us on all sorts of stuff and we felt like of the almost 2 hours we were in there most of it was a sales pitch and only 20 mins actually taking care of our dogs. However that insurance thing sounds pretty sweet. Id pay $28 a month for my pets to have everything taken care of yearly. How much do you pay for extras like having teeth cleaned, shots etc etc?[/QUOTE]

The doctors at the one I go to have always been very pleasant, and seem to know there shit. Of course, I've had the insurance the entire time I've been going to them, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I've never had her teeth cleaned (I know I need to get on that...), but looking at my last two bills, it looks like I've only really paid for the nail trimming and the meds I have to give her at home -- flea/tick and heartworm. Vaccine's all seem to be covered.

For what it's worth, they list "Regular Fee" vs "Your Fee" at the bottom of my bill, and both of the ones I'm looking at now show a savings of about $250 each visit.

Just and update on my dog, he's doing great at ten months (behavior wise). Love him more than anything in this world, minus my wife lol. He's been a bit under the weather this week but such is life.

Just been reading over the thread. I have a full blooded JRT myself. In fact he'll be 7 years old next Monday,, Feb 27th. Have had him since he was 6 weeks old. His name is Mickey. He got the name from the breeders kids when he was born. hes black and white and her kids noticed that around his tail, in black, was the Mickey Mouse ears logo, so they called him that. I decided to keep it.

Heres some pictures of the little scamp:

This one is my current wallpaper
2012-01-18_17-20-48_396.jpg

2011-11-29_16-53-40_467.jpg

SNC00015-1.jpg

2011-06-14_10-36-10_365.jpg

SNC00047.jpg

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Just been reading over the thread. I have a full blooded JRT myself. In fact he'll be 7 years old next Monday,, Feb 27th. Have had him since he was 6 weeks old. His name is Mickey. He got the name from the breeders kids when he was born. hes black and white and her kids noticed that around his tail, in black, was the Mickey Mouse ears logo, so they called him that. I decided to keep it.

Heres some pictures of the little scamp:

This one is my current wallpaper
2012-01-18_17-20-48_396.jpg

2011-11-29_16-53-40_467.jpg

SNC00015-1.jpg

2011-06-14_10-36-10_365.jpg

SNC00047.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That second pic is just hilarious. He looks like he might be the Terminator.

[quote name='docvinh']That second pic is just hilarious. He looks like he might be the Terminator.[/QUOTE]
Quite a few of the ones I've taken of him have that glowing demon dog eyes. Only thing I can think of is that its gotta be my phones flash.

Hes a loving dog, but he can be a serious pain in the ass at times. Then again, thats what you get when you have the poster child breed for doggie ADHD lol

Dog on the left is mine the other is my current foster. She's going to her forever home this weekend. Of all the dogs I've ever fostered she'll be the most difficult to let go. When I got her she was shy and nervous. Now she's extremely obedient and confident. Overall a wonderful dog who does great in any situation.
2012_02_05_21_10_03_654.jpg

This one I'm working on for another rescue. He's a two year old who just plays a bit too rough when he gets excited. He's making great progress though. Because of his size I'm recommending he go to a home with no or only adult children.
2012_02_19_17_37_33_828.jpg

[quote name='praxus07']It's not us that should be moving though. We've been in this house 35+ years, the ones across the street are less than a year, and the next door ones are less than 10. There have been issues with the next door ones from the day they moved in. The mother needs to be arrested (she's an elder care home visit nurse and comes home daily with boxes and boxes of stuff from the old folks houses, always has a new boyfriend, the last one had an entire police team with the armored van here looking for him during the summer) and the "kids", in their 20's now, do nothing around the house so it's a mess (think Malcom in the Middle's house).

The dogs are just the "new" louder problem....[/QUOTE]

Scranton! Where? I have some relatives I can send over. ;-) (seriously)

I own a three year old black and tan shiba inu her name is Saya and I also have a boxer name Bella she is my mom's, but I help take care of her.

Saya is my favorite dog though love her shibatude.

Sorry for tons of pictures. hehe
Looking pretty
DSC_0140.jpg

Being silly too
DSC_0130.jpg

Saya coming when called.
DSC_0101.jpg

Smile shiba
DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Saya and Bella playing.
021-12.jpg

Playing with a friend at dog park
9.jpg

011.jpg

Silly face
074.jpg

She looks so darn scary when she plays
056.jpg

043.jpg

039.jpg

035.jpg

Bella being silly
065.jpg

005.jpg

She loves laying high up.
highup.jpg

Bella is a cute boxer she is my parent's dog
006-18.jpg

Saya as a pup she is 2weeks I think in this pic
001-25.jpg

2-6.jpg

She loves climbing fallen trees
046.jpg

Further picture of her on the fallen tree
004.jpg

Different pictures of her on fallen trees that are lower.
wood.jpg

As you can see I love to take pictures of my dog. :)

She is such a good dog a bit crazy with way she plays luckily Bella and her dachshund friend like her play style.

Your Shiba Inu looks like my Husky (except for the brown), especially when he was a juvenile. Eerily so. Only now my dog probably weighs 3 or 4 times what yours does and is obviously taller/longer/whatever.

What kind of coat does she have? Is it smooth or rougher feeling?

Yeah I get is she a husky puppy a lot one guy asked if she was a midget husky.

She's about 20 or 21lbs. lol People are always surprised she is three years old.

She has a double coat it gets thicker in winter and bit thinner in summer.

Her coat is soft I guess I haven't met many other shiba so not exactly sure how correct coat type supposed to feel.

Their outer coat supposed to be stiff and straight and the undercoat soft and thick.

Her blowing is fun. This is in one coat blow I saved it to see how much she shed. lol
005-8.jpg

My mom's cat next to Saya
001-33.jpg

011-6.jpg

These were our three past dogs.
005-5.jpg

Yeah, coat blowing with these types of dogs is pretty insane. I could brush my huskies out for days and fill trash bins full of their undercoat. I asked about the coat type because one of my huskies had a coarser fur coat while the other has a smoother shinier coat, so I was wondering what yours was closest to. I guess both had similar undercoats based off their usual thickness and the type of hair being blown out.

Aw cute dogs! I should have found this thread sooner!
We had 4 dogs: a toy miniature schnauzer, a chihuahua, a shih tzu, and a pug, however the schnauzer passed away just recently and the pug we had to give away to one of my friends because he chewed everything and we did not have time for him :(
So....
we are down to the chihuahua Lucky Roxy Bigglesworth and the shih tzu Prince Edward Gizmo.
Here is Lucky, the chihuahua:
284901_10100102359293418_424354709_n.jpg

384573_10100099217923748_1027556842_n.jpg

551034_992148504748_1596215222_n.jpg

387448_291681667546333_778660117_n.jpg

And Gizmo, the shih tzu:
182860_168675369846964_2548720_n.jpg

269742_205617116152789_2222223_n.jpg

292075_238323249548842_497218940_n.jpg

313160_398689403512225_1945988676_n.jpg

Here was my baby boy Sir Friskey Whiskers, the schnauzer that passed away. This is the last picture we were able to take of him. We had to shave his beard off at this age for health reasons recommended by our vet :
180909_168658993181935_7823771_n.jpg

And Frank, our pug we had for maybe 2-3 months:
Frank_the_Pug_by_ashleyj1988.jpg

[quote name='meerkatgamer']Cute dogs and lizard too. :)[/QUOTE]
Haha thanks! He is much larger now even though that photo was near the beginning of the summer.

bread's done
Back