Don't agree with the ninja smiley at all.

Tiffanne

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Ok I don't agree with the NINJA thing. Am I the only one who thinks that it doesn't belong here?

Update: I changed the N word to ninja since the ninja smiley is gone.

Yeah I bet it went off topic quick! Maybe it should be removed or maybe racist names for other races should be added also :roll: Sorry I missed the other thread, or maybe not...

You know I guess I get it that the ninja is on there to sensor what people are really saying, I guess it bothers me that it even has to be on there to be sensored in the first place.

[quote name='Tiffanne']You know I guess I get it that the ninja is on there to sensor what people are really saying, I guess it bothers me that it even has to be on there to be sensored in the first place.[/quote]

That doesn't make any sense. If the graphic wasn't there the actual word would be displayed which would be much more offensive.

[quote name='Tiffanne']Yeah I bet it went off topic quick! Maybe it should be removed or maybe racist names for other races should be added also :roll: Sorry I missed the other thread, or maybe not...[/QUOTE]

ninja.gif
please

[quote name='Moxio']Isn't $$$$ also censored?[/QUOTE]

Yes. So is "$$$$$$," but not "fag." EDIT: Nor, I believe, 'nigga.'

[quote name='The Crotch']I believe the complaint last time was that the smiley made light of the word, and "humourized" the term.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. The graphic creates an incentive to use the word - a bunch of dollar signs aren't as visually appealing, and more often than not, create confusion.

[quote name='Moxio']It's a niggerpalooza![/QUOTE]

Exhibit A.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']
ninja.gif
please[/QUOTE]

Exhibit B.

Wow we get this same fucking topic at least once a month. Why the fuck can't people comprehend that the "Ninja" part is to censor the real word? Cheese us Rice. Just ask Cheapy to change it to damn $$$ signs then. If not then suggest a big cracker smiley so I can use that to censor craka. ;)

[quote name='Tiffanne']Ok I don't agree with the nigger thing. Am I the only one who thinks that it doesn't belong here?[/quote]

No you aren't the only one, but unfortunately nothing will ever be done about it.

[quote name='mykevermin']Yes. So is "$$$$$$," but not "fag." EDIT: Nor, I believe, 'nigga.'

Bingo. The graphic creates an incentive to use the word - a bunch of dollar signs aren't as visually appealing, and more often than not, create confusion.

Exhibit A.

Exhibit B.[/QUOTE]

Notice I'm the only person who actually didn't use the term.

[quote name='naes']The fact that a nigger could use the word nigger and anyone else can't niggers me off.[/QUOTE]

you're an idiot

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']This is the internet. Grow some balls, and learn to deal with it. Or, you can leave.[/quote]

It amazes me that that still is trotted out as a viable argument for jackassery. If someone used a derogatory term for Cheapy's wife do you honestly think that he would just go, har-har that's the internet? Hell no. He'd ban asses.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It amazes me that that still is trotted out as a viable argument for jackassery.[/QUOTE]

The anonymity is provides *is* viable, much as you or I would like to deny it. That's not a justification, but more the reason that so many people are more than happy to gleefully let out some of the most socially irresponsible things come out of their keyboards.

[quote name='mykevermin']The anonymity is provides *is* viable, much as you or I would like to deny it. That's not a justification, but more the reason that so many people are more than happy to gleefully let out some of the most socially irresponsible things come out of their keyboards.[/quote]

I agree. Years ago in college, my best friend's younger brother would get online and act like a total fool, but he was nice in real life.

The problem is apathy IMO. It's easier for something to occur when it is tolerated. It's that whole "coarsening of society" argument. Freedom of speech is a great thing and is a great power, but like Uncle Ben says, "With great power comes great responsibility."

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It amazes me that that still is trotted out as a viable argument for jackassery. If someone used a derogatory term for Cheapy's wife do you honestly think that he would just go, har-har that's the internet? Hell no. He'd ban asses.[/quote]It's the internet in that, wherever you go, you're gonna run into racist idiots, or things you don't agree with. It's like walking into a bar filled with sailors, and you're appalled by all the profanity. What do you expect? I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's part of message boards and forums. At least CAG actually HAS a filter for it. And for those who say it only encourages people to use it, those same people who use it are gonna find a way to use it no matter the filters are.

People in espanol speaking countries pronounce the word Nigger everyday meaning black. There is nothing wrong with the word.

However if you don't like the word in your village, town, city, or state then I suggest going down to your daily city council and remove the word from schools.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']And for those who say it only encourages people to use it, those same people who use it are gonna find a way to use it no matter the filters are.[/QUOTE]

That's not true at all. If it shows up as "$$$$$$," then it loses all of its "funny." Without "funny," then there's no incentive for internet using not-very-clever-people-mistaking-themselves-for-being-clever types from using it.

$$$$$$ please.
nigger please.

See?

Hell, the image even got Moxio to post more than his typical "boring" tripe.

[quote name='Loyaltist Shinra']People in espanol speaking countries pronounce the word Nigger everyday meaning black. There is nothing wrong with the word.

However if you don't like the word in your village, town, city, or state then I suggest going down to your daily city council and remove the word from schools.[/QUOTE]

Listen up, RegalSin2020: the word is "context." Apparently, by your standards, the manji is a religious symbol in some nations, so, as a result, the swastika is a harmless symbol as well?

[quote name='Loyaltist Shinra']People in espanol speaking countries pronounce the word Nigger everyday meaning black. There is nothing wrong with the word.[/QUOTE]

? In any Mexico-visits I've done over the years people barely discriminate against black folk. They only use it as a describer sometimes, i.e. negrito (which roughly translates to little black one, but it isn't used with a derogatory intent, more of a friendly sort of thing really).

[quote name='mykevermin']That's not true at all. If it shows up as "$$$$$$," then it loses all of its "funny." Without "funny," then there's no incentive for internet using not-very-clever-people-mistaking-themselves-for-being-clever types from using it.

$$$$$$ please.
nigger please.

See?

Hell, the image even got Moxio to post more than his typical "boring" tripe.

Listen up, RegalSin2020: the word is "context." Apparently, by your standards, the manji is a religious symbol in some nations, so, as a result, the swastika is a harmless symbol as well?[/quote]

They will find another way to bypass the swear filter. How many times have you seen someone post "fuck" without the actual Shaq Fu?

I think what the OP is saying is there shouldn't be censorship for the word because it shouldn't be used in these forums in the first place (which I agree). What makes it more offensive is the fact that it doesn't even use the slang terminology (nigga).

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']They will find another way to bypass the swear filter. How many times have you seen someone post "fuck" without the actual Shaq Fu?[/QUOTE]

A valid point - however, I can't fathom many people using the actual word the way the ninja graphic is playfully battered around.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']They will find another way to bypass the swear filter. How many times have you seen someone post "fuck" without the actual Shaq Fu?[/quote]

The problem is that there was a time on CAG when that was a word you could report and people could get banned for.

Samurai X got banned for it.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1128477#post1128477

Somwhere along the lines, something changed and it became ok. But then again, I realize any point I, myke or others make is moot as it is a battle none of us can win.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2177757&postcount=1

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2176378&postcount=71

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107167

I dunno. I just saw Paul Mooney, of *all* people, on CNN declaring that he'll never use the word again. As a classic 'blue' comedian, this is pretty substantial.

[quote name='mykevermin']I dunno. I just saw Paul Mooney, of *all* people, on CNN declaring that he'll never use the word again. As a classic 'blue' comedian, this is pretty substantial.[/quote]

IIRC even Richard Pryor gave it up. I know the NAACP had a symbolic burial of the word a day or two ago. Small progress, but it's a start.

[quote name='mykevermin']Yes. So is "$$$$$$," but not "fag." EDIT: Nor, I believe, 'nigga.'[/quote]

I think '$$$$$$' is more offensive than the contracted 'fag'- Hell, a lot of gay guys use the latter just because sometimes it applies. The former, however, does seems to connote more of a sense of intended anger.

[quote name='Loyaltist Shinra']People in espanol speaking countries pronounce the word Nigger everyday meaning black. There is nothing wrong with the word.

However if you don't like the word in your village, town, city, or state then I suggest going down to your daily city council and remove the word from schools.[/QUOTE]

actually negro means black

I think what the OP is saying is there shouldn't be censorship for the word because it shouldn't be used in these forums in the first place (which I agree). What makes it more offensive is the fact that it doesn't even use the slang terminology (nigga).
Exactly! I couldn't find the way to communicate exactly what I wanted and you did it for me, thanks! The slang makes it less offensive to me I guess.

[quote name='mykevermin']I dunno. I just saw Paul Mooney, of *all* people, on CNN declaring that he'll never use the word again. As a classic 'blue' comedian, this is pretty substantial.[/quote]There goes his entire act. Here's hoping Chris Rock doesn't do the same thing.

Ooooh let's ban the word! That will totally steal all the power behind!

Do you know, where I live, it's called a "hate-free zone".. I shit you not, sirs. A hate free zone. What the fukc that means, I have no idea. I hate it. Oooops!

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Ooooh let's ban the word! That will totally steal all the power behind!

Do you know, where I live, it's called a "hate-free zone".. I shit you not, sirs. A hate free zone. What the fukc that means, I have no idea. I hate it. Oooops![/QUOTE]

I don't see many people wearing swastikas in public, or, to a lesser extent, using them on the internet. The symbol certainly is not officially banned anywhere (in the US, anyway), but the social disdain for it certainly makes it just as if it were. There is, then, a certain sort of utility for being a "hate free zone" (in an indirect sense).

Now, this post brought me back here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3103638&postcount=294

Why did you feel the need to use the word 'nigger' there? What inspired it, and why did you not feel that it was inappropriate to use?

While the post is a joke, I do believe that it's wrong that a black person can say nigger but not anyone else.
[quote name='Ikohn4ever']you're an idiot[/quote]

[quote name='naes']While the post is a joke, I do believe that it's wrong that a black person can say nigger but not anyone else.[/quote]
They can say it without causing the same offense for the same reason a Chinese person could call another Chinese person (that he/she knows well or as an obvious joke, same for black people) a chink and they wouldn't care. You can't offend others by making fun of them for things you obviously have in common.

Another reason is that if they use it they control it and take away its power against them.

Isn't it childish to say "why can they say it and not me?!" about a racial epithet? Is it an all or nothing thing or is it that you really feel the need to use the word?

[quote name='SpazX']They can say it without causing the same offense for the same reason a Chinese person could call another Chinese person (that he/she knows well or as an obvious joke, same for black people) a chink and they wouldn't care. You can't offend others by making fun of them for things you obviously have in common.

[/quote]

Not true. I get offended when another black person calls me that. And quite frankly, being an n-word isn't something I have in common with anyone.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Not true. I get offended when another black person calls me that. And quite frankly, being an n-word isn't something I have in common with anyone.[/quote]

Well I mean generally black people don't use it the same way in the first place since it doesn't make any sense, but if some stranger walks up and says it I can see where it would be weird (which is why I added that parenthetical).

I don't see how you can really get offended when saying it basically means (in polite terms) "I don't like you because you're black and black people suck and I'm better than them" and the person saying it is black. It doesn't make any sense and would seem amusing more than anything. Like they couldn't really think of something to say to insult you so they had to go with it.

Although there are those that have the "two kinds of black people" mindset where there are regular black people and there are the n-word people (kind of like white trash I guess). Then it would make more sense as being offensive.

To be honest, I don't understand even the notion of a word itself being offensive. It is just a word. The meaning behind it is what is actually relevant.

[quote name='RollingSkull']To be honest, I don't understand even the notion of a word itself being offensive. It is just a word. The meaning behind it is what is actually relevant.[/QUOTE]

"I don't see skin color. I move beyond race. I don't even see skin -- I move down to the ligaments and the joints. I judge those."

stephen_colbert_l.jpg

I don't find it childish. I find it more double-standardish. If a black person uses it in a song, it's fine. But if a white person sings the song and says nigger, he's in trouble.

The way I see it is if black people don't want other people to say nigger, they shouldn't say it in the first place.
[quote name='SpazX']They can say it without causing the same offense for the same reason a Chinese person could call another Chinese person (that he/she knows well or as an obvious joke, same for black people) a chink and they wouldn't care. You can't offend others by making fun of them for things you obviously have in common.

Another reason is that if they use it they control it and take away its power against them.

Isn't it childish to say "why can they say it and not me?!" about a racial epithet? Is it an all or nothing thing or is it that you really feel the need to use the word?[/quote]

[quote name='naes']I don't find it childish. I find it more double-standardish. If a black person uses it in a song, it's fine. But if a white person sings the song and says nigger, he's in trouble.

The way I see it is if black people don't want other people to say nigger, they shouldn't say it in the first place.[/QUOTE]

yea cause you can get a word stopped, asking to get it stopped will just make it more used. The only way to stop racial words like that is for a society to move beyond race as a factor of discrimination. So if you want black people to stop saying the word work on racial harmony in America, instead of whining about a double standard

[quote name='naes']I don't find it childish. I find it more double-standardish. If a black person uses it in a song, it's fine. But if a white person sings the song and says nigger, he's in trouble.

The way I see it is if black people don't want other people to say nigger, they shouldn't say it in the first place.[/quote]

That's just it. It's not fine, and more of us are finally standing up to state that.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070709/ap_on_re_us/naacp_convention_n_word_10

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton (guys I usually can't stand) are on board. So is Russell Simmons, Kurtis Blow, Bill Cosby.... You have big names speaking out now.

There are very few times when that word can be put to any good satirical use. Chris Rock did a good job of it (black people vs. n-word) and so did Aaron MacGruder, to a lesser extent.

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=_q8LxO4wnCQ[/MEDIA] There are so many unfortunate truths to his comments/jokes.

While I agree that no one should say it, the general public find it okay for black people to say it.
[quote name='GuilewasNK']That's just it. It's not fine, and more of us are finally standing up to state that.[/quote]

[quote name='naes']While I agree that no one should say it, the general public find it okay for black people to say it.[/quote]

Like Agent K said, "A person is smart, people are stupid."

See, the whole banning a word because it offends some group of people is absurd to me. The only offensive aspect of the word is the vile feelings of the individuals who say it and mean it in a hateful way. The word is just a tool of language.

i need to pop in the vs forum more often...

anyway, im suprised to see so many people saying that the word shouldnt be censored, well the thing is, the word is already censored. so too bad if you dont understand why people think its offensive. i think that the ninja graphic promotes casual and unnecessary use of the word and that replacing it with $$$$$$ would cut down on that dramatically.

bread's done
Back