Don't agree with the ninja smiley at all.

I really wish people would quit complaining about the Ninja pic.

It's a censor. Whoopee

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i think that the ninja graphic promotes casual and unnecessary use of the word and that replacing it with $$$$$$ would cut down on that dramatically.[/QUOTE]
True. People are using it to be "comical".

I personally don't care either way since I never use it.

[quote name='SpazX']They can say it without causing the same offense for the same reason a Chinese person could call another Chinese person (that he/she knows well or as an obvious joke, same for black people) a chink and they wouldn't care. [/quote]

There is a difference though. Me being a 'chink' myself, i never call my friends chinks (and vice versa) unless its a complete joke or sarcastic remark to the word. However, for black people they throw the word around back and forth like they were playing hot potato or something.

Another thing is, if two black people got into a heated arguement, that word would still be thrown around used as an insult, yet if two chinese people got into an arguement, you would rarely hear the word chink (and sometimes they would even use nigger too)

Of course this is all based on speculations in my area.

[quote name='Tiffanne']Ok I don't agree with the nigger thing. Am I the only one who thinks that it doesn't belong here?[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='KhaosX']There is a difference though. Me being a 'chink' myself, i never call my friends chinks (and vice versa) unless its a complete joke or sarcastic remark to the word. However, for black people they throw the word around back and forth like they were playing hot potato or something.

Another thing is, if two black people got into a heated arguement, that word would still be thrown around used as an insult, yet if two chinese people got into an arguement, you would rarely hear the word chink (and sometimes they would even use nigger too)

Of course this is all based on speculations in my area.[/quote]

I really don't like to use 'the n-word', but I will for the sake of a logic argument:

I would submit that the term 'chink' is has much less 'history' than nigger. The latter was used from when black people were being imported here, constantly referred to as such as they slaved away in plantations, and the term was widely used to describe black people until even today, although thankfully the derogatory use has dimished significantly. Chink, however, is fairly recent, at best only fifty or less years old, I think, so there's less meaning behind it than nigger. Plus I think the term nigger and it's varied uses have been sort of ingrained, sadly, into the American lexicon, while chink is a less common and less thought of word.

You don't hear Chinese Heritage groups or anything trying to bad the word chink, after all.

In either case, I support replacing nigger with $$$$$$.

Sometimes people are just too sensitive.

But hey, what about the people that are offended by the word "fuck"? Why not get rid of that too? The graphic that replaces it is very humorous, so it encourages more people to use it. If we're on the "let's not offend people" train, let's just do away with 'em all!

[quote name='deathweasel']Sometimes people are just too sensitive.

But hey, what about the people that are offended by the word "fuck"? Why not get rid of that too? The graphic that replaces it is very humorous, so it encourages more people to use it. If we're on the "let's not offend people" train, let's just do away with 'em all![/quote]

I don't know why this even needs explaining, but...

fuck doesn't refer to one specific group of people in a negative light. The N-word does.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Like Agent K said, "A person is smart, people are stupid."[/QUOTE]

my favorite way of saying this is "None of us is as stupid as all of us" :)

anyway, carry on

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I don't know why this even needs explaining, but...

fuck doesn't refer to one specific group of people in a negative light. The N-word does.[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about that. I know the difference, you pretentious pile of meat. I'm saying that it's a word that many, many people find very offensive. If you're going to go out of your way to be sensitive to one group of people, why not just be sensitive to them all?

[quote name='deathweasel']I'm not talking about that. I know the difference, you pretentious pile of meat. I'm saying that it's a word that many, many people find very offensive. If you're going to go out of your way to be sensitive to one group of people, why not just be sensitive to them all?[/quote]
so i can call you a cunt. people find that offensive, but its not banned. i can say that i think all people from alabama are mentally deficient, im sure that would offend people, should we filter out the whole sentence? the points it that ninja filter filters a word that derogatory towards people, whereas fuck (while offensive to some) does not refer to a group of people in a negative light. furthermore, the fuck filter has been in place as long as i can remember, the nigger filter has been added in the last year or so.

Exactly my point dude... basically what I'm saying is why sensor a few choice words when there are tons of equally offensive crap to replace them with?

I would just rather depend on the decency of people (though I know it's not a very common thing, especially with the anonymity that comes with posting on an internet forum) to not use "offensive" language than depend upon the censorship of a few select words deemed offensive by a few people.

And GuilewasNK, sorry about the heated backlash.

i know what youre saying, but what im saying is... "cunt" is offensive to people because its vulgar. the nword is offensive because its derogatory towards people. if i call you a cunt (and im not) im not saying it because of your race or religion. where as the nword is directly associated with ones race. and youre right about the selective filter, just for fuck and nigger and $$$$$$. there should be more banned words, i dont want to hear anyone refer to anyone on the boards as a spic, kyke, chink etc etc etc

[quote name='deathweasel']And GuilewasNK, sorry about the heated backlash.[/quote]

No problem.

My main issue is that the n-word was banned outright before, and using it could get people banned.

There is a section of the TOS the specifically states,

Proper contributions to CheapAssGamer.com are welcomed by registered users. You agree not use the Site in any way to:

a. post, email, transmit or otherwise make available Content that you know to be false or that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, obscene, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
I saw at least two people get banned for it. There was a precedent for the banning of that word. Then all of a sudden a ninja graphic is in place and the use is no longer a bannable offense. That just doesn't add up and goes against the very TOS for this site. I have my theories for why the graphic even got started, but I'll keep that to myself for now.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']My main issue is that the n-word was banned outright before, and using it could get people banned.[/quote]
One memorable situation was when MorganWebbLover was permanently banned for using it towards defender.

It'd be interesting to hear defender's views on this subject and how it affects CAG. He doesn't post much anymore, but he could probably flex some muscle if need be.

racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

The problem you face there is that, if you actually FOLLOW those standards to the letter, the thinnest skinned person decides who gets banned.

Or, at the very least, the thinnest skinned person of one of the "protected" groups of people.

I guess I can see everyone's stance on this. I'm just going to refrain from using any words that could be deemed offensive and just completely avoid trouble. I guess I'm done here. Carry on... I'll be lurking in the shadows....

[quote name='RollingSkull']The problem you face there is that, if you actually FOLLOW those standards to the letter, the thinnest skinned person decides who gets banned.

Or, at the very least, the thinnest skinned person of one of the "protected" groups of people.[/QUOTE]

You can find thin-skinned people for anything you want on CAG. If you don't worship at the altar of 360/PS3/Wii, you're bound to offend somebody.

Nevertheless, such egalitarian arguments ignore (1) that this is a website, and not a democracy. As much as you or I may not like it, what Cheapy and the mods say goes. You could make yourself independently wealthy finding CAGs who are offended by posts that go unmodded and/or unbanned, and (2) the 'n' word is a pretty universally agreed-upon "holiest of holies" in terms of inappropriate language to use. You will not find the same proportion of people who support banning those who use "nigger" offensively also support banning those who use "fuck" offensively. Attitudes towards the two words aren't even comparable, and trying to make them comparable (as darthweasel has tried) ignores such a substantial part of the social power of those words individually.

So, contrary to your claim, it is not the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Not here, anyway.

[quote name='mykevermin']You will not find the same proportion of people who support banning those who use "nigger" offensively also support banning those who use "fuck" offensively. Attitudes towards the two words aren't even comparable, and trying to make them comparable (as darthweasel has tried) ignores such a substantial part of the social power of those words individually.[/QUOTE]

Ahem... it's deathweasel.

The parallel I'm drawing between the two is that "nigger" is widely considered the "most offensive" racial term, and that "fuck" is widely considered the "worst" curse word. Anyway, the point I was making is that both terms are deemed offensive by many, many people. The "history" behind each is irrelevent, in my opinion. You can try to prove me wrong with your smug, so-sure explanations, but any argument you, I, or anyone else here puts forth pretty much boils down to opinion. Because, in the end, it doesn't even matter.

God, I hate Linkin Park.

[quote name='deathweasel']The "history" behind each is irrelevent.[/QUOTE]

That's where we disagree; I suspect that, given the proliferation of "fuck" on this site, and the substantial lack of use of "nigger" as a pejorative term, that there are far more people who agree with me than you.

[quote name='deathweasel']The "history" behind each is irrelevent[/quote]

sorry man, but you lose right there. the history behind the word is everything in this case.

[quote name='mykevermin']That's where we disagree; I suspect that, given the proliferation of "fuck" on this site, and the substantial lack of use of "nigger" as a pejorative term, that there are far more people who agree with me than you.[/QUOTE]

That's fine. I guess I'm in the minority then. I'm not particular offended by "nigger," but of course, I'm not black. Doesn't mean I particularly like the word. I'm not "offended" per se by "fuck" either, but I still hate the word. That being said, I don't use either word at all. I can tell you right now that I'd be in disagreement with the greater population of this site on many issues though, so a lot of people may not be able to see where I'm coming from... not to sound elitist or pretentious or anything like that (if it even sounds so).

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']sorry man, but you lose right there. the history behind the word is everything in this case.[/QUOTE]

Nah man, I'm still not convinced. I don't "lose" until I'm convinced otherwise. And believe me, I'm not disagreeing just to disagree by any means. I know when I'm beat, and I know I'm not putting up an end-all argument here, but it's mainly because I'm tired and don't feel like getting too deeply involved in this. I believe what I believe, and I doubt I'll be swayed much by a few unseen people hiding behind computers, miles, and silly usernames.

I guess we just have to agree to disagree at this point. Ammiright??

[quote name='mykevermin']You can find thin-skinned people for anything you want on CAG. If you don't worship at the altar of 360/PS3/Wii, you're bound to offend somebody.

Nevertheless, such egalitarian arguments ignore (1) that this is a website, and not a democracy. As much as you or I may not like it, what Cheapy and the mods say goes. You could make yourself independently wealthy finding CAGs who are offended by posts that go unmodded and/or unbanned, and (2) the 'n' word is a pretty universally agreed-upon "holiest of holies" in terms of inappropriate language to use. You will not find the same proportion of people who support banning those who use "nigger" offensively also support banning those who use "fuck" offensively. Attitudes towards the two words aren't even comparable, and trying to make them comparable (as darthweasel has tried) ignores such a substantial part of the social power of those words individually.

So, contrary to your claim, it is not the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. Not here, anyway.[/quote]

You misread my post. GuilewasNK claimed that nigger would be banned if we followed the policy. I simply stated the endpoint of that path. What you just said applies much more to what GuilewasNK said than to what I actually said.

I can't say that I've ever used the "ninja" euphemism unless quoting someone else.

I am curious to know why using it before the NINJA graphic was punnishable by banning, but now permissible. Everyone knows what is stands for and flagrant, purposeful, or directed use should still be grounds for bannishment.

It has it's place in humorous comments and trolling, sure, but my guess is that it would hardly be used at all, if ever, were it not for the obviously comical graphic and lack of penalty for it's usage.

[quote name='Tiffanne']Ok I don't agree with the nigger thing. Am I the only one who thinks that it doesn't belong here?[/quote]

I agree with you. I think Cheapy or whomever, should take into consideration that using the "fuck" logo makes the word easier to use. I never use the word fuck on any other website forum. I understand that most people here wouldn't use the N word in the first place, but it's still wrong to make it look 'cooler' when someone does use it instead of punishing them for it. I would bet that even RollingSkull has said "fuck" in a public place or around someone he would never ever ever say the N word around.

[quote name='Trakan']That doesn't make any sense. If the graphic wasn't there the actual word would be displayed which would be much more offensive.[/quote]But then they couldn't hide behind the joke censor. Which I believe has been the point in this argument for some time.

If someone started posting N-this and N-that blah blah blah, they'd be seen as someone using racist terms AND it'd keep us from getting further de-sensitized to something we ought not be apathetic to.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Not true. I get offended when another black person calls me that. And quite frankly, being an n-word isn't something I have in common with anyone.[/quote]This is why I love you, Guile.

[quote name='mykevermin']Listen up, RegalSin2020: the word is "context." Apparently, by your standards, the manji is a religious symbol in some nations, so, as a result, the swastika is a harmless symbol as well?[/quote]
You could be right, but this post is too lucid for RS's style.

[quote name='guinaevere']But then they couldn't hide behind the joke censor. Which I believe has been the point in this argument for some time.

If someone started posting N-this and N-that blah blah blah, they'd be seen as someone using racist terms AND it'd keep us from getting further de-sensitized to something we ought not be apathetic to.

This is why I love you, Guile.

You could be right, but this post is too lucid for RS's style.[/quote]

if they took off the graphic it would, or should, come up as $$$$$$ and $$$$$ just like when you type in $$$$$$ (referring to homosexuals).

I love the Ninja censor.

It puts everything in perspective quite nicely.

For instance, a few quotes made infinitely better by the word "ninja" (and "pirate"):

Christ wasn’t a pirate. Christ was a ninja. The poor, brainwashed Ninja has been madeto believe Christ was a pirate to maneuver him into worshiping pirates.
I don’t know when Armageddon is supposed to be. But I
know that the time is near when the pirates will be finished. The signs are all
around us.
The ninja revolution is controlled by foxy white pirates, by the Government itself. But the Samurai Revolution is controlled only by God.
I regard the Buccaneers, the Tortuga clubs and Swashbuckler societies, as far as a ninja is concerned, as better friends of the ninja than all other groups of hypocritical pirates put together.
Up, mighty ninjas, accomplish what you will.
If you ever find a good pirate, kill him before he turns bad.

etc, etc

Hey I never knew we had words that came up as "$$$$$$"! I typed in the enture word for fag and it came up with dollar signs. What other words are dollar signs ?!?! I'm REALLY curious..since I never knew we had them!

Anyway, I like the ninja jokes. That's why I'm for the filter w/ the ninja logo. However, you can just basically use common sense when determining if it's offensive or not. When people say like "nigger please" it's more of a joke since you ARE saying "Ninja please!"..but when someone comes here and types up a rant and says something along the lines like.. "So I went to gamestop today. Man, I had this stupid nigger ringing me up. He kept messing up on the register and he rang things up wrong. Stupid nigger, I hate them".. yes it can be "funny" since the story says you went to gamestop and a NINJA rang you up (lmao)..but, essentially you ARE shedding hate..ya know?

I'm probably not making sense, so I apologize.
I'm all for using more icons as filter words! We can have so much fun with it!

go my niggers, attack!!

[quote name='Hex']Whut?

:lol:[/quote]
Weird, I wonder if vBulletin starts to recycle searchids. I just did a search for all posts containing "nigg*", and came up with over 500 results, which I found kind of surprising.

Of course, that doesn't even take into account "nucca" or "nugga" or any of the other internet slang that seems to be popular at the moment.

i always thought that the swear words were replaced with bad video game titles

fuck is a bad videogame
$$$$$$ is a bad video game

but ninja gaiden is a good video game. but this is all old news

I dont know if this was mentioned or not but you know how if you hold your mouse over the title thread before clicking into it it shows you the first few sentences. well I noticed that it doesnt censor the word in the preview it gives you. Just found that wierd.

The symbols are really fun to use. Watch...

$$$$er fuck $$$$er fuck $$$$er fuck $$$$er fuck $$$$er fuck $$$$er fuck $$$$er $$$$er $$$$er fuck fuck fuck.

Lets go $$$$er some fucks in the fuck of the fuck $$$$er $$$$er fuck shouldn't we?

I find it amazing that people will bitch, whine, and campaign for the banning of a word, preach how it's derogatory, condemn others for using it.

Go through all of that work and time, instead of working towards NOT giving people a reason to use it at all.

Chris Rock said it best:

Rock said politicians were trying to divert attention from real problems: "Enough real bad things happen in this city to worry about how I am going to use the word."

Simply put, you can't just "ban" the use of the word, it's a purely topical and ultimately fruitless remedy. If you want to see the word "nigger" disappear from communication, then do what it takes to see the lifestyle disappear.

Of course, this requires more time and work, but one would hope that someone looking for change is looking to make a REAL change in life for the better, not just remove something that disturbs them and feel like they've actually done something (i.e. "Congrats, you feel better about yourself, but you haven't actually done a damn thing.)

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']I find it amazing that people will bitch, whine, and campaign for the banning of a word, preach how it's derogatory, condemn others for using it.

Simply put, you can't just "ban" the use of the word, it's a purely topical and ultimately fruitless remedy. If you want to see the n-word disappear from communication, then do what it takes to see the lifestyle disappear.

[/quote]

So bascially you are saying it is ok or expected for people to use it until that "lifestyle" is gone? No offense, but the people that use it most on CAG don't even participate in "that lifestyle".

You might not be able to ban a word in the real world, but you can ban a word on a site if the owner really wants to.

Define "that lifestyle."

The nigger lifestyle? What is that, precisely? 50 Cent or Kweisi Mfume? Or Bill Cosby? Or a little bit of each?

EDIT: Am I just seeing things, or is "nigger" going loud and clear now, and the "ninja" censor is gone? I don't have any problem with taking the "humor" out of such a word, but I want to know if I'm the only one seeing this.

Yeah I found that they got rid of the ninja symbol too and feel really really bad now about post #91. Why would they do that? In response to this thread?

Oh well, i guess thats what is so great bout anonymous int msg bds (you can say stuff you would never in real life).

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, *that* certainly helps make the OP's point loud and clear.[/quote]

It sure does.

The nigger lifestyle? What is that, precisely? 50 Cent or Kweisi Mfume? Or Bill Cosby? Or a little bit of each?

It sure isn't a little bit of Bill Cosby. The N word is not a nice word and people don't care anymore. It doesn't really matter trying to cover it up with a smiley when you get what the poster is saying still loud and clear.

[quote name='Tiffanne']It sure does.

It sure isn't a little bit of Bill Cosby. The N word is not a nice word and people don't care anymore. It doesn't really matter trying to cover it up with a smiley when you get what the poster is saying still loud and clear.[/quote]

Seems like one of the only racially insensitive words that is censored with dollar signs is g o o k. I wonder why?

I forgot to mention that I axed the ninja smilie the other day while adding the dvd/blu-ray/hd dvd smilies. Its no a part of the regular censor system.

I pretty much didnt like seeing those words pop-up when browsing through smilies.

bread's done
Back