DOOM XBL Arcade Digital Download @Gamestop.com

Chrono Gear

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (96%)
Decided to browse the Gamestop digital downloads section to see if I could sniff out a deal. I think I found one.

DOOM is available for $4.99 which is the regular price, HOWEVER since it was pulled from XBLA some time ago this may be the only opportunity to get it now.

Here's a direct link: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=87597

Just ordered and downloaded it. They have some chutzpah to charge tax on it but I guess that's the price I pay for not buying it when I had the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZForce915']Wait, if it's not available for purchase on the XBLM then usually codes don't work either.[/QUOTE]

A reasonable line of thought, but I managed to redeem a Joust code long after it was pulled from XBLM.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I want to see how this unfolds. I wonder if it's going to come back to the marketplace.

Awesome, I've been wanting a copy of this. Thanks OP. Here's hoping some of those dead Midway XBLA titles pop up too, albeit very doubtful.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Hope they put up Yaris and Dash of Destruction, too.[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt those will ever come back. A quick google search and you can find an easy way to put them on an xbox formatted USB stick anyway. Yes it is perfectly legal to do since they were always free.

[quote name='bsmiff']Awesome, I've been wanting a copy of this. Thanks OP. Here's hoping some of those dead Midway XBLA titles pop up too, albeit very doubtful.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping the same. I would have coughed up the overpriced $10 for UMK3 had I known it would vanish forever.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I'm hoping the same. I would have coughed up the overpriced $10 for UMK3 had I known it would vanish forever.[/QUOTE]

Noticed any way to view a list of all available XBLA games like this on the GS site? Edit: NM, just found the page: http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?dsNav=N:81-133

Also anyone still unsure of this, I'll back Chrono Gear up. My copy just finished downloading without a hitch, no tax either.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Hope they put up Yaris and Dash of Destruction, too.[/QUOTE]

Actually if you downloaded it at any point you can simply go back into your download history on your profile and download it again. I did that with Yaris just to see if it would work. Then I promptly deleted it again.

Also I'll vouch for the XBLA version of Doom being a pretty good port of the game.

Thanks much! I was quite disappointed when I finally decided to buy this and couldn't. Now the Lost Cities, Double Dragon, and Pinball FX 1 dlc could miraculously remerge, I could quite bitching for ten minutes or so. :applause:

[quote name='EarthKing']Try it out...What is the $10 off coupon?[/QUOTE]

Gamestop gave out a ton of them with purchases of other games last year. Problem was there were so many restrictions on what you could use them on that they became almost worthless.

[quote name='JohnnyDeLicious']Thanks much! I was quite disappointed when I finally decided to buy this and couldn't. Now the Lost Cities, Double Dragon, and Pinball FX 1 dlc could miraculously remerge, I could quite bitching for ten minutes or so. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Aren't all the Pinball FX 1 DLC tables available through FX 2?

I didn't know XBLA games were ever pulled... that's lame. I have Doom and UMK3 so I guess that's good. What's the point in taking them off the dashboard if you can still download them off the servers? Seems really dumb...

Why the hell would they pull Doom 1? That's stupid.

Can you still redownload it if you bought it back in like 2006 or so like I did? I don't have a 360 at the moment, so I can't find out for myself.

[quote name='Darknuke']I didn't know XBLA games were ever pulled... that's lame. I have Doom and UMK3 so I guess that's good. What's the point in taking them off the dashboard if you can still download them off the servers? Seems really dumb...[/QUOTE]

Corporate licensing agreements and money of course! When Warner Bros bought up Midway all of their XBLA titles were dropped. I think the DOOM drop had something to do with Activision losing its publishing rights over the game when Zenimax bought id Software. The data itself isn't pulled so as to not piss off everyone who originally bought the games, but they're no longer available to buy.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Why the hell would they pull Doom 1? That's stupid.

Can you still redownload it if you bought it back in like 2006 or so like I did? I don't have a 360 at the moment, so I can't find out for myself.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I tried to re download the license first for it off my old acct onto my new xbox and it wouldn't let me. Then I tried to delete and redownload the game and it wouldn't let me either.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Nope. I tried to re download the license first for it off my old acct onto my new xbox and it wouldn't let me. Then I tried to delete and redownload the game and it wouldn't let me either.[/QUOTE]

Really? I'm pretty sure you can still download dumped XBLA games if you bought them before they went unavailable, as long as you're on the same account. This is certainly true for the Midway titles.

Really? I'm pretty sure you can still download dumped XBLA games if you bought them before they went unavailable, as long as you're on the same account. This is certainly true for the Midway titles.

I did do it through xbox.com and not my acct on the dashboard. Perhaps I will load up my old acct then and try it through the dashboard. Thanks for the heads up. I will report back then. :)

Keep in mind though what I was trying to do was have the licensing of it on my Slim so I can play the full game with my new acct. Maybe that is what the issue was. Anyways I will try what you said. :D

[quote name='Diebythesword']And Robotron...I still have the trials :cry:[/QUOTE]

can't you buy it through the trials?

i picked this up, i really have wanted to get this for a while...

[quote name='EarthKing']Is anybody else getting taxed for this?[/QUOTE]

Yup ~$.50 of taxes. Annoying but I'm not going to have a fit over it (even though I kinda want to).

Also what's the word on the Warhawk/Wipeout HD PSN downloads? It appears that the related thread has vanished.

[quote name='jj5206']can't you buy it through the trials?

i picked this up, i really have wanted to get this for a while...[/QUOTE]

Nah, you can't buy through the trials. I've tried with UMK3. Been wanting it bad since I've been hitting an arcade frequently, and I wanna beef up for their tournaments, but I can only go with the trial to practice for now. If you try to buy it through the trial, it shows the price as free, but when you click to buy, it gives you the error message stopping you in your tracks. I can also confirm that codes to buy the games WILL work though, because I redeemed a Joust code about a month ago off a Gold membership card and it worked fine. I have another Joust code I'd trade if anyone can get me some UMK3!

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Yup ~$.50 of taxes. Annoying but I'm not going to have a fit over it (even though I kinda want to).

Also what's the word on the Warhawk/Wipeout HD PSN downloads? It appears that the related thread has vanished.[/QUOTE]

Oh. I was looking about the 4000 MS points...I'm not going to pay an extra $5 when I could get a card from my local GS (that's 2 minutes away). I find it strange especially I added the $50 PSN code and I don't get taxed for it :|....I'm finding this problem with half the stuff I want lol

I'd take Robotron for sure. Maybe we'll get lucky and these games will make a return. I can also confirm that the Joust codes worked and I also have an extra one... somewhere. Could look for it if anyone wants to trade/buy.

[quote name='Darknuke']What's the point in taking them off the dashboard if you can still download them off the servers? Seems really dumb...[/QUOTE]

The point is so you can continue to access something you paid for. It's not that dumb.

Though I technically own this through my fiance's Xbox Live account, I went for it anyway to add it to my own. You never know...

Cool, thanks OP.

This does work, downloaded it and everything. :)

And I only had $.35 in tax, so I can't really complain.... Now to buy Deathspank 1 and 2 or not...

[quote name='crunchewy']I'd take Robotron for sure. Maybe we'll get lucky and these games will make a return. I can also confirm that the Joust codes worked and I also have an extra one... somewhere. Could look for it if anyone wants to trade/buy.[/QUOTE]

I'd definitely buy that code off you crunc, shoot me a PM!

[quote name='Chrono Gear']
DOOM is available for $4.99 which is the regular price, HOWEVER since it was pulled from XBLA some time ago this may be the only opportunity to get it now.

Here's a direct link: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=87597

Just ordered and downloaded it. They have some chutzpah to charge tax on it but I guess that's the price I pay for not buying it when I had the chance.[/QUOTE]

Fear not! It was de-listed, but unlike other delistings, this game
is suppose to return. The company the id Software now deals
with wanted to re-publish the game, under their name. I don't
know why they did, but it should return, if it already hasn't.

Now, if Time-Warner can do the same with Midway properties,
I could finally buy Smash T.V.. Seeing a new Mortal Kombat
gives me hope. Of course, I don't recall if Time-Warner bought
all of Midway, or if it only got part of it.

[quote name='GlassAgate']Fear not! It was de-listed, but unlike other delistings, this game

I could finally buy Smash T.V. Seeing a new Mortal Kombat
all of Midway, or if it only got part of it.[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear that?

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']I did do it through xbox.com and not my acct on the dashboard. Perhaps I will load up my old acct then and try it through the dashboard. Thanks for the heads up. I will report back then. :)

Keep in mind though what I was trying to do was have the licensing of it on my Slim so I can play the full game with my new acct. Maybe that is what the issue was. Anyways I will try what you said. :D[/QUOTE]

You need to do it through the original account's download history on the dashboard. It doesn't have to be the original console.

I, too, thought that since you can't re-download from xbox.com the pulled content was gone forever.

[quote name='GlassAgate']Fear not! It was de-listed, but unlike other delistings, this game

I could finally buy Smash T.V.. Seeing a new Mortal Kombat
all of Midway, or if it only got part of it.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if Warner Bros/Time Warner/id Software would bump the price up to 800 MSP if they re-released it, seeing as that's how much DOOM 2 costs. Have any other XBLA titles undergone a regime change like this and been re-released under a new publisher? I wonder if it would be compatible with the Activision release, ie. multiplayer.

bread's done
Back