DS Lite Cracking Up?

[quote name='dmaul1114']No crack on mine yet, but since it seems to be merely cosmetic, I couldn't care less anyway.[/QUOTE]

That seems to be Nintendo's attitude too.

It really isn't noticable. And this kind of thing will come about with normal use. I don't think any kind of case will prevent it.

I see this as a way to switch to black later this year (hopefully). So no worries here.

Mine doesn't have this problem.

My original Lite (exchanged after 2 weeks due to light bleeding through the case from the bottom screen) did have weird stress fractures/cracks/scratches around the B button. Was totally weird. Hasn't happened to my current one.

-HM

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Shit...Mine has one on the left hinge :(. I haven't been mishandling or anything...hell, I treat it like a god.

There's no section of Nintendo's warranty that covers this?[/QUOTE]

I called about mine on saturday. No luck. If I want it fixed, I gotta shell out $50. They wouldn't even fix the dead pixels because there were only two of them. My interest in any future Nintendo product is quickly fading over this incident.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']It really isn't noticable. And this kind of thing will come about with normal use. [/QUOTE]

after months or years of normal use, not weeks or days.

Thats fucked up. If a company makes a shady product they should have to replace/fix it. My lite doesnt have this yet, but I'm guessing its just a matter of time.

Starting to wish I bought the Gamestop protection plan. Maybe I'll eBay my DS and buy a new one + protection plan. No fractures yet but I'm so paranoid about that kind of stuff it makes me itchy.

Official Statement from Nintendo:

"We are not aware of any problems with the hinge of the DS Lite, however if someone experiences a problem with their DS Lite they should contact their local customer services department. The DS Lite carries a one year warranty for manufacturing defects, if the fault is covered under the warranty it will be repaired free of charge if not then customer services will provide a cost for repairing the product.

For warranty repair information, all technical enquires [sic] including servicing products, guarantee information, troubleshooting, part orders and release dates in the UK, please contact our Customer Service department (Monday - Friday 8:30am-7pm)."

Everyone who has this problem, please call Nintendo and "educate" them on this problem! We aren't all throwing our DSes into walls, this is a fucking MANUFACTURERS DEFECT!

We should not have to pay $50 for a fucking MANUFACTURERS DEFECT!

(800) 255-3700, Nintendo Customer Service

Maybe we should start posting our serial numbers as well to see if its only affected a certain batch. Although I am not totally sure it is smart to give someone else your exact serial number.

Me and my brother both have white DS Lites, mine has the crack, his doesn't.

My cracked DS Lite has serial number UG40075xxx and a number 7 inside a rectangle

My brothers is serial number UG40165xxx and a number 6 inside a rectangle.

Also when opening the DS Lites, my brothers have a more thuddy click to it, where as mine sounds more like snappy click. THe hinge on mine is slightly looser also when clicked into 170 degrees. It actually feels like a completely different locking mechanism inside.

You can you guys w/ the cracked DS Lites post up your serial numbers also? You don't have to include the last 3 digits if you dont want.

UG40072XXX, 1 in the box

feel free to add mine to maxconsole, as I'm not registered there.

also, check out http://dslcracked.awardspace.com/

Fatfree69 is compiling a list of DSes affected, as well as whether or not the units have been opened 180 degrees or bumped/dropped, with pictures!

[quote name='chakan']UG40072XXX, 1 in the box

feel free to add mine to maxconsole, as I'm not registered there.

[/quote]

I posted up your serial on the maxconsole forum.

That's interesting how your serial is close to mine(which is UG40075XXX). Ours may have been in the same batch. Does yours make a snappy sound when the hinge clicks into place at 170, or does it have more of a thud sound?

My brother's DS Lite with the thud sound did not get a crack.

I already posted mine up at the http://dslcracked.awardspace.com/ . I emailed the guy that made it and suggested that he add the serial numbers as well.

Mines UG40066XXX - funny how all of the affected DSL's appear to start with UG400...are they all from one batch?

Either way, I'm e-mailing now and calling tommorow.

What's everyone saying about exchanging it for a black DS later this year? I thought it was only being released in Europe...Or are that many people on here from Europe o_O

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']What's everyone saying about exchanging it for a black DS later this year? I thought it was only being released in Europe...Or are that many people on here from Europe o_O[/quote]

No, everyone's just blindly expecting Nintendo will release a black Lite in the USA later this year.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']No, everyone's just blindly expecting Nintendo will release a black Lite in the USA later this year.

-HM[/quote]

Damn, I was getting excited >_

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Mines UG40066XXX - funny how all of the affected DSL's appear to start with UG400...are they all from one batch?

Either way, I'm e-mailing now and calling tommorow.[/QUOTE]

Mines is cracked too on the L button side. My serial starts with UG401, though.

[quote name='monkeygod']Any reports of any non-white DS Lites cracking?[/quote]

My bro's did, but his was extremly loose from the start, so that could explain it.

[quote name='Hollow Man']No, everyone's just blindly expecting Nintendo will release a black Lite in the USA later this year.

-HM[/quote]

Maybe it'll be like the original DS, which never received black over here, or the GBA SP which only got black towards the end of its life cycle.

[quote name='monkeygod']I posted up your serial on the maxconsole forum.

That's interesting how your serial is close to mine(which is UG40075XXX). Ours may have been in the same batch. Does yours make a snappy sound when the hinge clicks into place at 170, or does it have more of a thud sound?

My brother's DS Lite with the thud sound did not get a crack.

I already posted mine up at the http://dslcracked.awardspace.com/ . I emailed the guy that made it and suggested that he add the serial numbers as well.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for posting my serial #, I also got an email from the dslcracked.awardspace.com guy, he is adding serial numbers to his list. It sounds like his list will be the most comprehensive about this problem.

As to the sound my lite makes when it opens, it sounds more like a sharp snap than a dull thud.

I wouldn't reallly call that much of a response by Nintendo.

It's basically them saying the crack doesn't affect the DS's ability to play games, so F.U. to anyone who thinks we're going to replace their system for free.

Sure, they throw in a line about people can call customer service, but that's B.S. since they want $50 to repair your system.

[quote name='keithp']Sure, they throw in a line about people can call customer service, but that's B.S. since they want $50 to repair your system.[/QUOTE]

The line specifically says "functional problem", which would exclude the crack.

There have been various reports of people that have gotten Nintendo to fix this for free in the last day or so. They seem to have something on their computers that lets them know this is a widespread problem and are waiving the fee.

The Gamespot article reports that Nintendo is saying that less than .02% of the units are experiencing this problem. Are they fucking serious? If they've sold 2 million units that means only 400 are experiencing the problem. No fucking way I believe that.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The Gamespot article reports that Nintendo is saying that less than .02% of the units are experiencing this problem. Are they fucking serious? If they've sold 2 million units that means only 400 are experiencing the problem. No fucking way I believe that.[/QUOTE]

That is probably just the number of people that they've had call.

I was told that as long as it didn't look like I caused the damage (scuff marks, I guess?), it would be replaced for free. I'm UPSing it tomorrow, then going on vacation.

I'll update this post when

a. Nintendo tries to charge me
b. my Lite is returned whole to me.

I'm still going to hold out, hopefully until I can replace it with a Black DSL (crossing fingers) from EB. Otherwise I'll send it out for repairs during finals week or something.

I've seen several reports from a couple forums of people calling Nintendo and Nintendo "waiving" the fee to fix the DS Lite's hinge crack problem.

Very cool.:applause:

[quote name='Cameront9']There have been various reports of people that have gotten Nintendo to fix this for free in the last day or so. They seem to have something on their computers that lets them know this is a widespread problem and are waiving the fee.[/quote]

One thing to be aware of. If you have an extended warranty with CC, BB, EB or whatever then your warranty is linked to that specific serial number. So if they swap it instead of repair it you lose the extended warranty.

So if anyone does the free repair then tell us how the process goes. I might keep the broken one so i have an excuse to trade colors down the line with best buy.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The Gamespot article reports that Nintendo is saying that less than .02% of the units are experiencing this problem. Are they fucking serious? If they've sold 2 million units that means only 400 are experiencing the problem. No fucking way I believe that.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy it either. Mine has the crack. I baby my system, btw. UG403 here.

I wouldn't bother replacing it, chances are your next one will do the same. I'd file a complaint so Nintendo is aware and I'm sure at some point they will fix the problem so it doesn't happen(probably already looking into it). Then will be a good time to exchange it.

Well, of course that's not accurate, what they really mean is that if they've sold 2 million units, only 400 have reported the problem to them so far. The actual number is no doubt far higher.

No crack here. Perhaps temperature has something to do with it. I try to never leave mine in my car, for instance.

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Called and got the free repair set up...

I LOVE YOU NINTENDO.[/quote]

Yes, Nintendo is very good with their warranty and their customer service.

after seeing widespread reports, still didnt think mine would be cracked as i keep it in indoors in hori pouch and gently play < 30 min a day (just to do daily brain age training!)

but... cracked here too! serial: UG4040

for those getting the free repair:

is it a repair or replacement? as i'd hate to have to buy (not to mention apply) another set of hori screen protectors

I've left mine in the car before and it's not cracked. An air bubble just shows up under the top screen protector.

Hmm..I feel sorry for all you guys. Being my paranoid self I went to check mine. And yay no crack. But the edges look kinda uneven. Maybe I shouldnt have traded in my old DS for $40....Now Im gonna be all paranoid wether thers a crack after Im done playing it. I think I need a case. Any one know of a case that you dont have to remove? I saw a link just forgot it.

CRAP!!!

Checked mine again today, and guess what--CRACK CITY!!
After checking it a few days ago and everything was fine!!!!

This thread must be evil....EVIL I TELL YA!!!! >.<

Sigh, oh well, time to call Nintendo...good to hear they'll fix it for free at least...

UG403 Serial number on mine, btw,

[quote name='Riyonuk']I keep wondering though. Since my lite is not cracked, what if it cracks on the the day after the warrant expires?[/quote]

Then if you want it fixed, you'll have to pay Nintendo.

-HM

bread's done
Back