DS Lite Cracking Up?

That, my friend, is life in the big city. Most items you buy have, at best, a 90 day warranty, so be thankful you get a year with the DS Lite.

-HM

*knock on wood* no crack on mine.

I may have missed it but is the plastic cover over a metal hinge or is the plastic the hinge itself? If it's only plastic, then it's a concern, if not now, longer term.

It took about weeka and a half but I received the UPS package 2 days ago and I just sent mine in for repair. Hopefully they'll repair it good as new! But i'll be without a DS lite for 3 weeks! :cry:

[quote name='Riyonuk']I keep wondering though. Since my lite is not cracked, what if it cracks on the the day after the warrant expires?[/quote]

Just open and close your DS a few thousand times, if it is indeed defective, the crack will show up eventually after so many openings and closings.

Oh and for those that do return the DS Lite to Nintendo, remember that he Hori screen protectors are reusable. Use scotch tape to pull it out, stick it on a piece of plastic or glass, and save it for later.

Got a replacement DS in 4 days. Its good to be in the same state as Nintendo! If you send yours in, be sure to remove the stylus and the lower cartridge cover, as the replacements aren't shipped with them.

To Riyonuk, I think it has to do with how tight the hinge mechanism is, my new DS sounds different than the first when opening it up. I could never find anywhere where Nintendo says NOT to open the lite to 180 degrees; thats how I play Brain age!

Is it supposed to sounds like its cracking or something? *gets ds* Mine sounds like umm a thudish kinda of low sound. I also went from 180 degrees to 170, 52 times just now. Nothing happened, although the left hinge looks kinda rough.

Mine is very faint but its starting. I have the EB warranty and will wait I guess as it does not affect anything as of yet. My touch screen also clicks on the bottom/middle right side. Neither issue affects gameplay or anything but its hard not to use the warranty as I like perfection and treat my DSL like I did my newborn daughter.

[quote name='chakan']Got a replacement DS in 4 days. Its good to be in the same state as Nintendo! If you send yours in, be sure to remove the stylus and the lower cartridge cover, as the replacements aren't shipped with them.[/quote]

just got the ups thing. so i should remove the stylus and cartridge cover then. won't nintendo inspect that once i ship it in? also, do you have to put the manuals etc. or just send in the barebones unit?

When I spoke to them about a different repair, I was told to just send the Lite with no GBA filler piece, stylus, or manuals. Just the unit.

-HM

[quote name='Riyonuk']although I dont have a daughter.[/QUOTE]

Does that mean you treat your DS Lite like it doesn't exist?

You can check the travel map at ups.com to figure out about when something will arrive. If going a good way across the country by UPS ground, it will usually take 5 business days. You should be able to track and make sure UPS delivered it.

-HM

It took 8 days for my shipping label to arrive. I packed my system up and dropped it off w/ UPS late Monday and it got to the repair center in Syracuse early Thursday AM. It’s still not showing in the system (under MY REPAIRS in my My Nintendo account), but I’ve got UPS confirmation that it made it to the destination, so I’m just assuming there’s some lag between delivery and the first stage of processing.

I was not told to remove the stylus and GBA slot cover so I left ‘em in. I did record them on my “included items” list. I hope that’s enough to prevent Nintendo returning me a stripped system.

weird- i checked my status change in nintendo.com (the UPS arrived already to them the other day) and it says under warranty 'no'. though the total amount is '0'. is this the same with you people?

Yeah. My status said it wasn't warrantied and there would be a $75 charge plus another $7.50 for shipping, but shortly after I received word that my repair was complete I noticed a price adjustment for the full amount added in that brought my grand total back to $0.

According to the UPS site my DS is out for delivery as I type this.

Well, the UPS guy just came by and it looks as though my DS Lite -- or should I say, a new replacement for my old DS Lite -- is now back in my hot little hands. Is there any way to register a duplicate system through the My Nintendo service? The last thing I need is for this one to crack and NOA give me shit about repairing/replacing an unregistered system.

Thanks for the heads up I did not even see the crack till I heard about it the thread the nintendo person said it was only cosmetic and it would never effect it I still replaced it.

I just checked my Lite, never noticed it had the crack until today. For those who have sent yours in, did they repair your original or replace it with a new one?

If they are replacing them, what are the chances of getting it replaced with a black one after it's released next month?

O no!!

I check everyday when I play for a crack and today it just showed up!

I have never had a problem with any nintendo product before this so this is a first for me......

What do I do?

And this crack isnt on the normal side that ive seen. Its on the right side and its not ON the hinge but next to it. When opening the hinge causes that little crack to widen more....

[quote name='newtype06']1modernboy, how's your new unit so far? is it really safe now from cracks?[/quote]
Two and 1/2 weeks in and still no crackage. The hinge tension does seem to be a bit less severe when I open it “all the way” than on my old model, so I'm staying cautiously optimistic. And it doesn’t make that snap-y noise when in the fully opened position, so I reckon they have done some minor retooling. How's everyone else who got their units repaired/replaced fairing?

[quote name='wubb']No crack on my lite's hinge (yet).[/QUOTE]

Mine now does have the crack. Probably get it repaired/replaced at some point in the next few months.

[quote name='gunm']huh? this looks like the join between two parts of the plastic. There's a natural line where the two pieces meet, but it should be secured. Are people saying that this seal wasn't glued together well enough?[/QUOTE]

Actually, its been revealed that this problem is due to a particular overtightening of a screw on the hinge or something. Source? IGN, look it up.

Not to kick around an old topic but I bought my DSL on day one from target. A week or so later we bought my wife and my niece one from a completely different area (game crazy). Mine was the only one to get a crack....Not a big deal or anything. I wasn't going to send it in, but something happened to it yesterday and it is going in.

I take really good care of my dsl...either I am playing it or it is in it's case. I have played it for at least 20 minutes everyday since I bought it. I love it. It is my favorite system ever. Well, I am really busy with work and did not find the time to play it on thursday. It rested safely on top of my dresser in it's case. But yesterday when I opened it...there was an oval in the center of the top screen...Some sort of damage. It still works but that oval in the center is a different color or shade or something.

Anyway, I called Nintendo immediately and the lady said she was going to do me a big favor and fix it all for free since I had the crack. Basically, she said that it was probablly my fault that the screen screwed up (I don't see how) but since the hinge was cracked it might have progressed into screwing up the screen. (I don't get this either.)

Just something that you guys might want to look out for.

My DSL hasn't gotten the crack yet, but it does have a stuck pixel on the top screen. The Nintendo rep told me I can exchange it for up to a year, so I'm gonna wait till the black DSL comes out and see if I can get one o' dem. :D

[quote name='ImmortalfWd']

If they are replacing them, what are the chances of getting it replaced with a black one after it's released next month?[/QUOTE]

14mm:1 against. Why would they do that if the white is still in production?

I have this problem with my original (fat) DS, except it's on the right hinge. The crack started catching against the system and, eventually, the whole little plastic part broke off. The system still works great, though. I was considering upgrading to the Lite in hopes that it was designed a little sturdier, but now I think I'll save my money and stick with my voluptous DS. She's been good to me so far...

Does Nintendo give a new DSL replacement or refurbished one?

I sympathize with those with DSL cracks.

When I first heard accounts of the crack, i thought it just happened to those who were carless and rough with their DSL... but when I checked mine last week (I have a launch system) and saw mine in the early stages of the crack, boy did i have egg on my face... this is the first Nintendo system I've had problems with dating back to 1987.

I'm considering waiting until the 1-year warranty almost expires before calling in... maybe Nintendo will improve the manufacturing process by then.

Theres a crack on where my power light is....im gonna definetly call about them cause its getting bigger and might cause trouble with the machine.

its wierd because my boyfriend and i both got the ds lite on the day it came out but only mine has a crack on it. the only difference was that he got his at best buy and i got mine at eb games. im just going to wait untill the pink one comes out next week and hopefully use my warranty to trade it in and get the new pink one. hopefully it will work out in my favor.

Well, after a month of it bugging me, I couldnt stand it an longer....

I called them just today and the guy was really friendly.
I talked to him and explained where my crack was. He said that my crack on the DS was not on the usual crack side but he said that he will help me anyway and get it repaired for free.

He was really great and patient as I had tons of questions.

So, it should be a month or 2 before I get to see a brand new DS Lite....hopefully without cracks and dead pixels...

A month or two? That's a hell of a long time.

I wonder if mine will develop a crack. Mine has that sharp snap sound when I open it and not the thud. I wonder if I can adjust the screw manually.

Well, I have to wait about a week or so to get eh label from them so that i can send it out.

Then another 2-3 weeks for the system to come back.

bread's done
Back